New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default [3.5] Benevolent Dictatorship

In my game, one of my character's goals is to overthrow every oppressive government in the world and replace it with an constitutional elective monarchy. The question is, though, how can one ensure that the rulers remain benevolent after one is dead and can no longer police the system? Is there a mechanical way one could force all future kings to obey a constitution as long as they lived?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Benevolent Dictatorship

"force all future kings to obey a constitution as long as they lived?"

Mindrape comes to mind...
    Last edited by Acero; 2010-12-30 at 05:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    Is there a mechanical way one could force all future kings to obey a constitution as long as they lived?
    The threat of certain violence, in this life or the next.

There is no other way. You set up a huge army or you set up a religion.

Naturally, both of those can be organized in many different ways.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What about a magic trap of Sanctify the Wicked? Build it into a crib or something.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't die.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Wouldn't work- STW only works on Evil beings, not Neutral ones.

Geas might.

Still, constitutional methods might make more sense, even in a D&D world, than magical ones- magic can be broken or subverted.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGirl

In my game, one of my character's goals is to overthrow every oppressive government in the world and replace it with an constitutional elective monarchy. The question is, though, how can one ensure that the rulers remain benevolent after one is dead and can no longer police the system? Is there a mechanical way one could force all future kings to obey a constitution as long as they lived?
    In before mindrape-programmed amnesia suggestions:
    Mark of justice will force rulers to act according a specific ideal.
    Also a lawful good familiar/cohort and/or phylactery of faithfulness tied to the setting's lawful good god with the portfolio of benevolent ruleship will also help.

EDIT: Too late it seems
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-12-30 at 04:49 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Still, constitutional methods might make more sense, even in a D&D world, than magical ones- magic can be broken or subverted.
    Last I checked, that goes for constitutions as well. ;)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    Also a lawful good familiar/cohort and/or phylactery of faithfulness tied to the setting's lawful good god with the portfolio of benevolent ruleship will also help.
    Probably make more sense anyway- if the character wants a benevolent dictator- and they're not hypocritical-

one would expect them to use benevolent methods of keeping future dictators benevolent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    Last I checked, that goes for constitutions as well. ;)
    True- main difference is- it may take more work to subvert. Especially if an enormous number of safeguards are put in- all of which need to be broken to corrupt the system.

To prevent a system from becoming corrupt- it may need to be renewed regularly- constantly tested- corrupt elements identified and corruption removed.

"Staying non-corrupt" is an ongoing process that requires continuous work.

"Who watches the watchers"? They watch one another. A lot.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-12-30 at 04:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Idea #2 paladin levels?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    In before mindrape-programmed amnesia suggestions:
    Mark of justice will force rulers to act according a specific ideal.

EDIT: Too late it seems
    A familiar/cohort will die eventually, and a MoJ would need to be applied to each future ruler. The method I'm looking for can't require putting faith in anybody to maintain the system after I'm dead. I need to be able to apply the effect myself and have it exist for eons on each individual king.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sentient Crown. Dedicated purpose: Protect and aid in the benevolent rule of this realm. 1/year Mindrape. 3/day Suggestion. 3/day Mark of Justice. 1/day Sanctify the Wicked. At Will: Detect Evil, Detect Law, Detect Thoughts. Telepathy 120feet Blindsight 60 feet.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

13. - Top - End - #13

Mindrape has the Evil tag though. And StW is a spell that takes a year to have its full effect (for the whole of that year, the victim will be imprisoned in a gem).

Subtler methods may make more sense in this case.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The crown itself would be neutral. It's goal, is that your guiding purpose, this realm, work.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Mark of Justice and make sure no one removes it for them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Mark of Justice and make sure no one removes it for them.
    Agreed. Make it part of a ritual performed every so often in public.

This of course, adds intrigue when someone can fake it.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    The crown itself would be neutral. It's goal, is that your guiding purpose, this realm, work.
    Isn't the whole point, that the realm not only work, but work benevolently? Would a Neutral crown really be able to not only keep the rulers Lawful Good, but keep the realm itself from becoming "functional but corrupt"?

And doesn't it require you, or one of your associates helping you to create it, to be able to cast the spell itself, to install it in a magic item?

Plus, on page 288, the DMG states that alignment of an intelligent magical item is "same as the creator".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

While Mindrape has the evil descriptor, programed amnesia doesn't. They both do the same thing, as far as I'm able to see.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

19. - Top - End - #19

Biggest differences:

Programmed Amnesia has a 10 minute casting time and a 500gp material component.

Mindrape has a 1 action casting time, and no expensive component.

Mindrape also specifies that you can "leave the target insane" after all changes are done- Programmed Amnesia doesn't.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sentient Crown. Dedicated purpose: Protect and aid in the benevolent rule of this realm. 1/year Mindrape. 3/day Suggestion. 3/day Mark of Justice. 1/day Sanctify the Wicked. At Will: Detect Evil, Detect Law, Detect Thoughts. Telepathy 120feet Blindsight 60 feet.
    I really like this idea, but the king could simply make a visually identical crown and wear it, and the peasants would be none the wiser. This would be near perfect if the Sentient Crown could somehow independently let the public know if it was incapable at any time of exercising its influence over the king.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2010-12-30 at 06:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

You need to add Detect Good. The absence of an Evil alignment is not proof of a Good alignment. But Detect Good will foil a Ring of Mind Shielding, or a Mind Blank effect ... or at least detect that such might be in play.
    I really like this idea, but the king could simply make a visually identical crown and wear it, and the peasants would be none the wiser. This would be near perfect if the Sentient Crown could somehow independently let the public know if it was incapable at any time of exercising its influence over the king.
    Sentient items can activate their own powers. Make it a Ring of Telekinesis, rather than a crown, and use it as the royal seal. It can now move itself around, at will, as well as other objects.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Sentient items can activate their own powers. Make it a Ring of Telekinesis, rather than a crown, and use it as the royal seal. It can now move itself around, at will, as well as other objects.
    It wouldn't be able to just leave the castle any time the king was abusing his power. Couldn't he just shove it in a closet or something? What's needed is a method of informing the population that the king is misusing his power and must be replaced.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2010-12-30 at 07:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

It wouldn't be able to just leave the castle any time the king was abusing his power. Couldn't he just shove it in a closet or something?
    It doesn't need a wielder to activate it's own powers. You lock it in a drawer. It uses Telekinesis to open the drawer, picks itself up, heads over to your writing desk, telekinetically gets out some parchment, a pen, and an inkwell, writes up whatever decree it needs to, uses telekinesis to make flint and steel light up a candle, floats the candle to drip the wax onto the parchment, and then uses Telekinesis to move itself to imprint the royal seal on the parchment. It then floats the decree to whoever needs to see it, then heads back to the drawer for safekeeping.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Give the people a good deal of power; and make it easy for people who don't have power to gain it. What you want is not stability but controlled instability. If you make an extremely stable government, which is extremely hard to change, it will also be extremely hard for it to respond to outside events--war, famine, or just social changes--and, unable to adapt, it will fall. Establish a government that can be changed at need.

I'm assuming here that the people are usually true neutral, right? Well, in that case, their goals will average out to "Keep myself, my family, and my friends happy, healthy, and supplied with what they need." A true neutral population will want very nearly the same thing that a Good-aligned person will want; it's just that the Good-aligned person wants it for everyone. (Neutral and Good get along very well that way.) This is why you establish basic equality from person to person: True neutral people will realize that if everyone gets the same thing, then it's rational to want everyone to get what you want. And this is also why you give everyone some amount of power to change things: If they are all acting out of self-interest, then everyone will try to pull in his own direction, and things will end up somewhere in the middle--a compromise.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    It doesn't need a wielder to activate it's own powers. You lock it in a drawer. It uses Telekinesis to open the drawer, picks itself up, heads over to your writing desk, telekinetically gets out some parchment, a pen, and an inkwell, writes up whatever decree it needs to, uses telekinesis to make flint and steel light up a candle, floats the candle to drip the wax onto the parchment, and then uses Telekinesis to move itself to imprint the royal seal on the parchment. It then floats the decree to whoever needs to see it, then heads back to the drawer for safekeeping.
    A Ring of Telekinesis has no nonmagical method of movement, right? Antimagic Field. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Give the people a good deal of power; and make it easy for people who don't have power to gain it. What you want is not stability but controlled instability. If you make an extremely stable government, which is extremely hard to change, it will also be extremely hard for it to respond to outside events--war, famine, or just social changes--and, unable to adapt, it will fall. Establish a government that can be changed at need.I'm assuming here that the people are usually true neutral, right? Well, in that case, their goals will average out to "Keep myself, my family, and my friends happy, healthy, and supplied with what they need." A true neutral population will want very nearly the same thing that a Good-aligned person will want; it's just that the Good-aligned person wants it for everyone. (Neutral and Good get along very well that way.) This is why you establish basic equality from person to person: True neutral people will realize that if everyone gets the same thing, then it's rational to want everyone to get what you want. And this is also why you give everyone some amount of power to change things: If they are all acting out of self-interest, then everyone will try to pull in his own direction, and things will end up somewhere in the middle--a compromise.
    One should trust an average peasant only slightly more than one does a king. The bolded goals above can be in conflict with what my character considers to be good. A powerful state unchecked by the will of the masses is needed to prevent the peasants from either voting themselves money or taking it by force. The question is, if the government is made up of self-interested creatures, why should we give it ultimate control over our lives? Unfortunately, in the real world, we have no answer to that question. In D&D, we do: rule by a magical item who has no interest but the defense of the rights of sentient creatures.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2010-12-30 at 07:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

A Ring of Telekinesis has no nonmagical method of movement, right? Antimagic Field. Done.
    Actually, that curiously doesn't work. Antimagic Field specifies "no effect on golems and other constructs" - and the Intelligent Items section says "Treat them as constructs".

But even so: You'll need to keep it in a permanent antimagic field. At which point, you'll have better luck with Disjunction, or a set of wire cutters anyway. Nothing's totally foolproof - but you can make things tricky.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGirl

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

A familiar/cohort will die eventually, and a MoJ would need to be applied to each future ruler. The method I'm looking for can't require putting faith in anybody to maintain the system after I'm dead. I need to be able to apply the effect myself and have it exist for eons on each individual king.
    The draconomicon has Lair Wards, whole caverns permanently enhanced with a magical effect. The official crowning room should be enhanced as such, by the effect of your choosing (for example mark of justice), and only when the effect triggers (in a flashy way) will the king be crowned.
    Since they are effectively items they can be made intelligent, thus using the suggestions presented above.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-12-30 at 08:41 PM.

as Moira

28. - Top - End - #28

None of this is a problem if the OP just makes himself immortal.

Alternatively, place a Contingent Gate on each throne with a trigger of something like "if the lord of this country stops being LG, call a Solar to knock some sense into him". Costly to set up, but Solars fix everything. It'll only work once, unfortunately, but if you're also immortal you can go and put it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Agreed. Make it part of a ritual performed every so often in public.

This of course, adds intrigue when someone can fake it.
    That's what she said.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's a magic bullet to this question. Keep people honest from beyond the grave without acutally returning is possibly impossible, but I think your best bet would be to form a group of paladin-esque advisors very similair to Soon's. Failing that, intelligent magic crown as Seffbasilisk suggested.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    None of this is a problem if the OP just makes himself immortal.

Alternatively, place a Contingent Gate on each throne with a trigger of something like "if the lord of this country stops being LG, call a Solar to knock some sense into him". Costly to set up, but Solars fix everything. It'll only work once, unfortunately, but if you're also immortal you can go and put it back.
    I am curious to learn how many days of crafting time this would take ...not to mention the alignment detection problems. Also
    The method I'm looking for can't require putting faith in anybody to maintain the system after I'm dead. I need to be able to apply the effect myself and have it exist for eons on each individual king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copacetic View Post
    That's what she said.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's a magic bullet to this question. Keep people honest from beyond the grave without acutally returning is possibly impossible, but I think your best bet would be to form a group of paladin-esque advisors very similair to Soon's. Failing that, intelligent magic crown as Seffbasilisk suggested.
    This. or be immortal as flickerdart pointed out.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-12-30 at 08:58 PM.

as Moira