New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    PLUS, I'd probably wanna do the PrC contest too.
    Definitely.

I also would actually love to see sample NPCs in such a thread, since those are great to use from the get-go.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Woops, realized I didn't use the template provided, sorry.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

How does this sound...a fighter who uses clothing as weaponry. I'm thinking each 'magic item slot' is a 'type' of 'weapon' for this class, and wearing certain combinations of clothing allows for certain special attacks. Like, having gauntlets/gloves and a ring allows for a stunning punch attack, having a cloak lets you temporarily blind or confuse someone, etc.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Changed my post to fit the template, I just erased what I had and pasted in the template.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-05-18 at 12:10 PM.
    My Steam profile

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Complete Classes Only, as MB noted.

PLUS, I'd probably wanna do the PrC contest too.
    Oh, okay, that could definitely work better.

That... is going to take a while. A long, long, long while.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Changed my post to fit the template, I just erased what I had and pasted in the template.
    It's not absolutely mandatory that the template be used. As long as it's readable and not too cluttered or something, it should be fine. Continuity is sometimes nice, but if it looks better with colors and different fonts and such, feel free to use them.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Maneuver section up, and I will post exactly what a Beautiful Dress IS soon.

(Heavenly Mitoste is the replacement name for Heavenly Ribbons. It's an old term for dressmaker)

EDIT: And now we see the Beautiful Dress. I especially like how Adjust the Hem turned out; never get thrown out of a social function for not wearing the fashion again!
    Last edited by Amechra; 2011-05-18 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

All of the class features are pretty much done, including Shrouds, Weaves, and Effigy benefits. All I need are to remove the dead levels at 9th and 17th level.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

unasorta -- your base class doesn't allow them to use the satin sword (and shouldn't it be like a longsword), flax axe, cotton hammer, and woven longbow since they aren't proficient with Martial Weapons.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    unasorta -- your base class doesn't allow them to use the satin sword (and shouldn't it be like a longsword), flax axe, cotton hammer, and woven longbow since they aren't proficient with Martial Weapons.

Debby
    Oooooh, I actually meant for the Weaves to not have a proficiency requirement, so that they can be used by anyone. I will add that in. Thanks!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post

Debby
    Well, they'd be allowed to use the weapons, but there would be a -4 penalty involved.

That's just nitpicking, though.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have to ask... Is there such things as Resplendant Masters of Ribbons (or perhaps Belts)?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

There are; I just haven't completely worked out all the fluff yet, so thats why I don't have anything written out yet.

Anyone have opinions on what I have up so far?
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

14. - Top - End - #224

It's a little barebones at the moment. The unique class features (extruding and imbuing ribbons) aren't written up at all at the moment, although the basic idea behind them is easy enough to infer, at least (you make ribbons to fight with and you put spells on them).

For the Beautiful Dress, what does a positive modifier for the Armor Check Penalty mean? The dress isn't based off an existing suit of armor, so it's obviously not supposed to reduce any existing penalties. Also, the miss chance should be granted to attacks targeting the Resplendent Mistress of Ribbons, not to her herself (check the wording of concealment, Blink, and similar effects). I'd also recommend finding a different way of limiting the special abilities transfered to the dress. Dividing your miss chance by 10 is clunky (and it should be 10%, not 10, don't forget about the units). Level/4 rounded up would be clearer, for instance.

Also, just to clarify (since you make mention of the dress being destroyed), would the Beautiful Dress's hp and hardness follow the normal rules for armor? That is, 5 hp/armor bonus and hardness 0, with the usual +10 hp and +2 hardness per point of enhancement bonus.

Although you haven't given us the specifics yet, I like the look of Heavenly Ribbons Style so far. It looks like some interesting battlefield control and disruption, especially with the emphasis on grappling (similar to Setting Sun's partial emphasis on tripping/throwing). It has very few strikes (only 5 out of 23) which helps emphasize its more defensive and nonlethal nature. The names are pretty darn flavorful, too. I'm also happy to see my rushes being put to good use.

I look forward to seeing more. Good luck.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks. I'll get around to dealing with the necessary changes to Beautiful Dress soon.

16. - Top - End - #226

Isn't anybody going to create a base class that lets you wear the clothing type monsters safely?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invinible View Post
    Isn't anybody going to create a base class that lets you wear the clothing type monsters safely?
    Your perhaps?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

18. - Top - End - #228

Are the contests usually this slow-going?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can I join with my Stylist? I should have asked, but I did make it for this, and with this contest in mind. Saved it in forum elsewhere because its easier then open office or something, and I can actually see what it looks like and not a wall of text and coding.

Never done a contest before... So.. hello.

Apparently it can't be posted anywhere previously even if it was made after the contest was nearly over, and despite it not saying anything about that in the four rules given.
    *sigh* what ever...
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-06-10 at 08:13 PM.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Can I join with my Stylist? I should have asked, but I did make it for this, and with this contest in mind. Saved it in forum elsewhere because its easier then open office or something, and I can actually see what it looks like and not a wall of text and coding.

Never done a contest before... So.. hello.

Apparently it can't be posted anywhere previously even if it was made after the contest was nearly over, and despite it not saying anything about that in the four rules given.
    *sigh* what ever...
    If it's been recently posted, I'd be willing to allow it to enter the contest. Does anyone object to that?
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #231

I, personally, would. You're supposed to make something from scratch - that's part of the creativity of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I, personally, would. You're supposed to make something from scratch - that's part of the creativity of the thing.
    I made it for this contest, I just made a thread for it because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. All the rules said was no plagiarism, ect ect ect.

Here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. You will be creating an original base class based around clothes. Be it socialites in haute couture, simple peasant's clothing making you badass or changing stuff on the go to give you magical bonuses inherent in your clothes. There are no other restrictions other than that you cannot have posted your entry anywhere else before. Aside from that, anything goes--psionics, martial maneuvers, spellcasting, whatever. Go crazy; new mechanics, new feats, new items, and everything else you can think of are fair game!

2. Submissions are due by June 14th, and should be submitted in the format shown in the next post. Feel free to play around with fonts, images, and the like, but the overall format should be somewhat similar. Mostly, just make it easy on the eyes.

3. There must be a name, complete class, and fluff for both combat and role playing purposes. Incomplete entries will be disqualified--no exceptions.

4. Plagiarism is strictly forbidden.

That was all I had to go on besides the given template.

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #233

I made it for this contest, I just made a thread for it because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. All the rules said was no plagiarism, ect ect ect.

Here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. You will be creating an original base class based around clothes. Be it socialites in haute couture, simple peasant's clothing making you badass or changing stuff on the go to give you magical bonuses inherent in your clothes. There are no other restrictions other than that you cannot have posted your entry anywhere else before. Aside from that, anything goes--psionics, martial maneuvers, spellcasting, whatever. Go crazy; new mechanics, new feats, new items, and everything else you can think of are fair game!

2. Submissions are due by June 14th, and should be submitted in the format shown in the next post. Feel free to play around with fonts, images, and the like, but the overall format should be somewhat similar. Mostly, just make it easy on the eyes.

3. There must be a name, complete class, and fluff for both combat and role playing purposes. Incomplete entries will be disqualified--no exceptions.

4. Plagiarism is strictly forbidden.

That was all I had to go on besides the given template.
    Eh. After thinking about it, I'm not so sure. It is in the rules that it can't be posted elsewhere. While you may have made it for the contest, this mistake has sad consequences. I'm sure a lot of us will be happy to critique your work, though. Feel free to participate in the next contest for sure. Sorry if it doesn't work out.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2011-06-11 at 01:24 PM.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #234

Well, if it was posted in its own thread due to a misunderstanding, I think we can make an exception to the rule.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Eh. After thinking about it, I'm not so sure. It is in the rules that it can't be posted elsewhere. While you may have made it for the contest, this mistake has sad consequences. I'm sure a lot of us will be happy to critique your work, though. Feel free to participate in the next contest for sure. Sorry if it doesn't work out.
    Is there a reason theres such a rule in the first place. I see no valid reasoning behind a rule like that.

"Can't have been made prior to the contest" works fine. but "Can't be anywhere else besides our thread", I cannot see.

And when "Can't be anywhere else besides our thread" just doesn't work when its no where on the actual contest thread.

If your that stingy about it, deleting my thread I made for this should serve the same purpose.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-06-11 at 08:30 PM.

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

And when "Can't be anywhere else besides our thread" just doesn't work when its no where on the actual contest thread.
    Actually, "can't be anywhere else besides our thread" doesn't work either, because, if my memory serves me right, others have posted outside of the actual contest thread, in addition to the contest thread, and asked for critiques there. If it didn't happen in this contest, it happened in another one, and it seems both valid and intelligent, in order to get more critiques.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

Two for it, one hesitant "Maybe" and changed mind to "Um... I don't think so". and one rejection that didn't seem to have any boundaries, and didn't even seem to be related to this rule. "You're supposed to make something from scratch - that's part of the creativity of the thing. " It was scratch of course, and is that saying I'm not creative?

Morph acted pretty much the same as Tem, Just a little more for it then a little more against.

So! Admittedly still hesitant, I ask:

So do I post my class here or in the main thread first :)

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Actually, "can't be anywhere else besides our thread" doesn't work either, because, if my memory serves me right, others have posted outside of the actual contest thread, in addition to the contest thread, and asked for critiques there. If it didn't happen in this contest, it happened in another one, and it seems both valid and intelligent, in order to get more critiques.
    The actual rule is that you can't have posted it elsewhere before you posted it here, because it gives you an unfair head-start on critiques and revisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    The actual rule is that you can't have posted it elsewhere before you posted it here, because it gives you an unfair head-start on critiques and revisions.
    By that same logic were pretty even. Haven't you been talking it up for ages and to each other here in this thread? Meanwhile I made my class yesterday as the contest seems to be close to ending.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

By that same logic were pretty even. Haven't you been talking it up for ages and to each other here in this thread? Meanwhile I made my class yesterday as the contest seems to be close to ending.
    I haven't seen a single post of feedback for any of the contest classes.
    My Steam profile