New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Bard question, seeking help (3.5)

So, this is a bard i am working on for a game coming up.

he is Bard 4/fighter 1/warchanter 5/seeker of the song 2

race is venerable dragonwrought jungle kobold (with pyroclastic dragon as my dragon type, assuming im reading the feat right)

first off, im going to pump inspire courage as much as possible. i have already seen the handbook on how to do this, so i will get to buying items after i get all my classes down.

my question is, say inspire courage is at +6. can i inspire courage (+6 to attack and damage rolls) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 sonic) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 fire)?

or did i base this whole bard on a lie?

and the game is at level 16. so where do i go from here?

heres a link. thanks in advance playground.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=264256

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Bard question, seeking help (3.5)

I seem to recall that you can combine 3 types of music using both abilities, but I'm not sure. However, I don't think you can get fire and sonic DFI. Am I missing something?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm fairly certain that, even though RAW says bonus damage stack, most people will tell you to pick one type of damage for your 6d6 dragonfire damage.

However, I think you can get by with +6d6 dragonfire inspiration and the normal +6 hit/damage from normal Inspire Courage as they are (slightly) different sources/types?

*Summons Curmudgeon*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yeturs View Post
    my question is, say inspire courage is at +6. can i inspire courage (+6 to attack and damage rolls) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 sonic) combine song dragonfire inspiration (+6d6 fire)?
    I believe there's no reason why you can't combine them.

Of course, you'll have to activate one effect of Inspire Courage with a standard action, and then activate the second effect with another standard action, at which point you start singing something else. So the first effect lasts for 5 rounds (10 if you take Lingering Song), and the second for as long as you continue singing.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

By RAW, merely being a Dragon doesn't allow you to change the energy type of your DFI. You'd have to be Half-Dragon, or have the Dragonic Heritage feat.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    By RAW, merely being a Dragon doesn't allow you to change the energy type of your DFI. You'd have to be Half-Dragon, or have the Dragonic Heritage feat.
    Or be a Dragon Shaman.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Dragons are half-dragons! Other half, also dragon!

(Not RAW, but has to qualify as a GitP houserule.)
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-01-01 at 05:32 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, so it looks like I'm missing draconic heritage feat to pick my dragon type, but that's it? Alrighty, I can work with that.

Also, what classes should I go into from here? I can't save spellcasting at this point, so what about dirgesinger? I have always wanted to play one, but Is it a trap?

Also, how gold intensive is this build? Just learned that the game world is low magic low gold :/

Thanks for all the replies, and good luck out there gentlemen!
    Last edited by Yeturs; 2011-01-01 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Damn you auto correct!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Dragons are half-dragons! Other half, also dragon!
    A half-dragon would have a dragon as a parent. Most full dragons would, too, but dragonwrought kobolds probably won't.

Though they'd still be descendants of dragonblooded race, so they would arguably have a dragonic heritage, if you go back far enough.

And ignoring the rules, it would be silly if half-dragons counted, but full dragons didn't.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

I don't know about looseing out on spellcasting just yet. Consider the bard PRC that grants spellcasting 4-9th level. Now you don't care about the loss of the lower level spells so much.