New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Cats should be extinct [3.5]

Does anybody know how the Monster Manual cat can even survive in nature? All of its attacks deal negative damage... (1d2-4, 1d3-1)
    And why does everyone make jokes about cats killing commoners?
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2011-01-05 at 07:33 AM.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Cats should be extinct [3.5]

Minimum damage an attack can inflict is 1 point.

Since a cat has a high AC, and multiple attacks- it can shred a commoner in fairly short order.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3

Oh, right. I forgot that thing about minimum damage thing :P
    I guess that's enough to kill a rat with single hit...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

And cats can full attack for 3 attacks per round.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

And, of course, cats have high enough Hide and Move Silently to always get a surprise round.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They don't get pounce, do they? Otherwise they'd really be nasty.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklord View Post
    They don't get pounce, do they? Otherwise they'd really be nasty.
    No, they don't, but they probably should, to continue in the vein of feline type creatures.

Also, compare the cat against its prey, the raven(taken as fairly representative of such small birds and songbirds) and the rat.

The raven has a spot and listen of +7, and +5, which opposes the cat's +16 to hide(either 12 normally or 20 in tall grass, I'm not sure which) and +8 to move silently, where the advantage in hunting the raven is to the cat, despite them having similar armor classes, the cat has multiple attacks to counterbalance this while the raven has one. And the raven has a minus -1 to its grapple relative to that of the cat.

The rat, on the other hand, is actually better at moving silently than the cat, though in general, their behavior would lead to the rat avoiding the cat rather than attempting to ambush it. With it's +16 to hide and +10 to move silently, the rat is quite difficult for the cat's +3 to listen and spot to detect when the rat is hiding and moving silently. Similarly though, the rat is effectively blind to the cat as well, with it having a +1 to spot and listen. A game of cat and mouse, if you will.

Though, since it's in the same size category as the cat, this is still a very large rat. A mouse would be diminutive, though I'm not sure what the usual size of wild rats is, and thus having a higher AC and being even harder for the cat to find when it hides and moves silently... IIRC, ships' rats are the ones that are supposed to have gotten as big as cats and terriers. So I'm not sure how representative they are of the creatures that cats would call prey, considering adventurers can kill them for XP without them being a swarm.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-01-05 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Now wasn't it a bit 50-50... or was it 75-25... that a cat could kill a commoner?
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    No, they don't have pounce, but they probably should, to continue in the vein of feline type creatures.
    Housecats really rarely make "full attacks" after pouncing, unlike lions do. They might cause a scratch or two, but they come from trying to hold the prey in place. The bite is the thing that kills the prey. They only start using their claws if the initial attack doesn't do the job.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

When you have the suprise round, you don't need to pounce. Run to the target as your suprise round action. Then win initiative and begin the first combat round with a full attack.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

11. - Top - End - #11

Cats are also not the only animal that does the classic "pounce" style attack.

Foxes, when hunting mice, do the same.

Foxes, despite being canine- are very catlike in some ways- some climbing ability- typically nocturnal- commonly pounce on mice- and have eye pupils that can be closed to slits.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    Now wasn't it a bit 50-50... or was it 75-25... that a cat could kill a commoner?
    Pretty good, actually. The typical commoner with straight tens to all stats and a simple weapon deals potentially more damage, but the cat has the better armour, more and more accurate attacks, higher initiative, and can most likely ambush.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Cats are also not the only animal that does the classic "pounce" style attack.

Foxes, when hunting mice, do the same.

Foxes, despite being canine- are very catlike in some ways- some climbing ability- typically nocturnal- commonly pounce on mice- and have eye pupils that can be closed to slits.
    In case someone didn't understand, I meant they don't Pounce in D&D mechanic terms. In the game, it's probably more like a jumping charge, followed by a bite attack.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    In case someone didn't understand, I meant they don't Pounce in D&D mechanic terms. In the game, it's probably more like a jumping charge, followed by a bite attack.
    So the fleshraker's leaping pounce routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15

Yup. Cat's don't need the pounce ability to fight and hunt like real cats- the point being made was other animals fight (and act) a bit like cats as well.

"leaping pounce" probably isn't necessary though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Are there any real world instances of cants killing people? I'd assume not, but then I remembered how well my assumptions usually turn out...

Also, does anyone else get the feeling this thread will end up summoning the Cat-That-Must-Not-Be-Named (TM)?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

These ones?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

eek Re: Cats should be extinct [3.5]

Housecats really rarely make "full attacks" after pouncing, unlike lions do. They might cause a scratch or two, but they come from trying to hold the prey in place. The bite is the thing that kills the prey. They only start using their claws if the initial attack doesn't do the job.
    Against an opponent of equal or larger size, your average cat will commonly employ something akin to a rake attack: they will grip their foe with their front claws, while scratching & scraping with their rear claws. This is potentially their most damaging attack in RL, even more so than their bite. I've seen the aftermath of such fights, & its ugliness is only exceeded by its speed & efficiency. Ugh...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    These ones?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's what they want you to think. But let your guard down for a moment and they're shredding commoners with impunity.

Please, think of the commoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Are there any real world instances of cants killing people? I'd assume not, but then I remembered how well my assumptions usually turn out...

Also, does anyone else get the feeling this thread will end up summoning the Cat-That-Must-Not-Be-Named (TM)?
    I think the Cat thusly invoked was in fact, Snuggles.

Spoiler
    Show

Snuggles the Death Kitty
    Pseudonatural Paragon Cat
    Size/Type: Tiny Outsider (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: ½ d8+19 (28 hp)
    Initiative: +15
    Speed: 180 ft. (36 squares)
    Armor Class: 91 (+2 size, +15 Dex, +12 insight, +12 luck, +40 natural), touch 51, flat-footed 81
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+28
    Attack: Claw +62 melee (1d2+35)
    Attack: Tentacle +62 melee (2d8+35)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +62 melee (1d2+35) and bite +60 melee (1d3+35)
    Full Attack: Tentacle +62 melee (2d8+35)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constant Insight, Improved Grab, Rotting Constriction
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Spell-like Abilities, Resist (Fire, Cold) 10, Resist (Electricity, Acid) 15, DR 10/epic, SR 40, Fast Healing 20, Epic Strike
    Saves: Fort +24, Ref +25, Will +23
    Abilities: Str 40, Dex 40, Con 35, Int 18, Wis 37, Cha 22
    Skills: Balance +15, Climb +17, Hide +16*, Jump +15, Listen +13, Move Silently +17, Spot +13*
    Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse(B), Multiattack (B)
    Environment: Temperate plains
    Organization: Hopefully alone
    Challenge Rating: 31

Snuggles receives a +10 competence bonus on all skill checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow (CL 35); 3/day - greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility (CL 15). DCs are Charisma-based

Constant Insight (Su)
    Snuggles is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    If Snuggles hits an opponent smaller than it with a tentacle, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rotting Constriction (Ex)
    Once Snuggles has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check he makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, Snuggles regains 10 lost hit points.

Alternate Form (Su)
    At will, Snuggles can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass, but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against Snuggles in this alternate form.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2011-01-05 at 09:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Can't find it here:
    Homebrew Cat thread

though I suspect someone might come up with one by that name.
    Or Catthulu.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Against an opponent of equal or larger size, your average cat will commonly employ something akin to a rake attack: they will grip their foe with their front claws, while scratching & scraping with their rear claws. This is potentially their most damaging attack in RL, even more so than their bite. I've seen the aftermath of such fights, & its ugliness is only exceeded by its speed & efficiency. Ugh...
    The worst part is, that most cats apparently do it purely because of it's entertainment value.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    the rat is quite difficult for the cat's +3 to listen and spot to detect when the rat is hiding and moving silently. Similarly though, the rat is effectively blind to the cat as well.
    This is why the D&D stealth v. perception system is
    Two random pixies should not epically fail at finding each other any more than two random humans should epically fail at finding each other.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    These ones?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No.

Yarn for the Yarn Throne! Milk for the milk bowl!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Well, yeah... the tactics vary a lot according to the situation. Maybe they should give cat's bite attack a disease? If a cat REALLY bites you, it's almost sure to get infected, sometimes very seriously. I once got a potentially deadly infection in my leg from a single cat bite, and even with medication it took over half a year to heal completely. The bite marks are still visible.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Pretty good, actually. The typical commoner with straight tens to all stats and a simple weapon deals potentially more damage, but the cat has the better armour, more and more accurate attacks, higher initiative, and can most likely ambush.
    NPC Commoner also has a grand total of 2 HP (Avg. from 1d4 + 0 from Con), so yeah... He can one-shot the cat, but the chances of him hitting once before the cat hits him twice are kind of mediocre due to his +0 attack vs. Cat's AC of 14, and Cat's 3 attacks at +4/+4/-1 vs. his AC of 10 (or 13 if we give him a Hide Armor...which doesn't really make sense and he isn't even proficient so prolly not). Oh, and Cat has way better Initiative.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-01-05 at 08:37 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I think the Cat thusly invoked was in fact, Snuggles.

Snuggles the Death Kitty
    Pseudonatural Paragon Cat
    Size/Type: Tiny Outsider (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: ½ d8+19 (28 hp)
    Initiative: +15
    Speed: 180 ft. (36 squares)
    Armor Class: 91 (+2 size, +15 Dex, +12 insight, +12 luck, +40 natural), touch 51, flat-footed 81
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+28
    Attack: Claw +62 melee (1d2+35)
    Attack: Tentacle +62 melee (2d8+35)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +62 melee (1d2+35) and bite +60 melee (1d3+35)
    Full Attack: Tentacle +62 melee (2d8+35)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constant Insight, Improved Grab, Rotting Constriction
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Spell-like Abilities, Resist (Fire, Cold) 10, Resist (Electricity, Acid) 15, DR 10/epic, SR 40, Fast Healing 20, Epic Strike
    Saves: Fort +24, Ref +25, Will +23
    Abilities: Str 40, Dex 40, Con 35, Int 18, Wis 37, Cha 22
    Skills: Balance +15, Climb +17, Hide +16*, Jump +15, Listen +13, Move Silently +17, Spot +13*
    Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse(B), Multiattack (B)
    Environment: Temperate plains
    Organization: Hopefully alone
    Challenge Rating: 31

Snuggles receives a +10 competence bonus on all skill checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow (CL 35); 3/day - greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility (CL 15). DCs are Charisma-based

Constant Insight (Su)
    Snuggles is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    If Snuggles hits an opponent smaller than it with a tentacle, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rotting Constriction (Ex)
    Once Snuggles has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check he makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, Snuggles regains 10 lost hit points.

Alternate Form (Su)
    At will, Snuggles can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass, but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against Snuggles in this alternate form.

Yup. That'd be him!
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

28. - Top - End - #28

Does anybody know how the Monster Manual cat can even survive in nature? All of its attacks deal negative damage... (1d2-4, 1d3-1)
    And why does everyone make jokes about cats killing commoners?
    By your logic it probably gets worshiped by having a healing touch, it's claws cause negative damage.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

This gives me an idea, of an Effigy Master making a cat effigy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

How about a kobold commoner?

AC 12, claw/claw/bite, though at -1/-1/-6, but then with 1d3-1, they'd all have a chance to one-shot the cat.

[Edit]: Then again, a cat could kill one in the surprise round.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-01-05 at 09:10 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.