Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Coolest weapon enhancements

I'm playing Skych Mirasel, a crusader aiming to bind his grandfather's soul into his guisarme. With this sort of love for his weapon, I'm going to spend a lot on enchantments for it once we earn the gp. At the moment I've just got a Least Crystal of Return on it, to have it move from carefully wrapped and oiled on Skych's back to embedded in someone's skull as quickly as possible.

What're your favourite weapon enhancements? Not just mechanically; what's just really, really cool? Preferably cheap ones, since we're only level 3 at the moment, and eventually I'd like to have lots of little enchantments rather than one big one.
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coolest weapon enhancements

I'm personally a big fan of the "burst" enchantments. Especially Holy Burst from the BoED. Less damage, but I love to yell, "Hoooooooooolyyyyyyyyy BUUUUUUUUUURRRRSSSSSSSST!!!" (It's almost as fun as yelling, "Dragon SLAAAAAAAAAVVVVE!!!!!" )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Icy burst
    *rimshot*
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Consumptive (MIC) is pretty cool; a weapon that draws in the light around it. Wounding is one of my favourites, especially if you've got several attacks, but not really for the coolness factor. Ghost touch is awesome...because it can touch ghosts, and I like a lot of the other ones from MIC, like Stygian and Vampiric.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Force. only works on ranged weapons, but it ignores DR and incorporeality. Also, turning your ammo into bolts of force seems cool to me.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Everbright. Your weapon is so shiny that rust monsters can't eat it. In fact, it's so very shiny it'll blind said rust monsters if they even come close.

Knockback and Chargebreaker are funny too.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-01-05 at 09:11 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Implacable. Weapon causes bleeding damage. Even cooler if the weapon is a voice inside the PC's head.
    If something doesn't work, hit it.
    If it still doesn't work, hit it harder.

8. - Top - End - #8

Thindering Burst for nice sound effect?

Besides that, Crippling (-1 dex every hit), Cursespewing, and Vampric are always nice. Metaline if possible (no DR... at all for anything)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I'm personally a big fan of the "burst" enchantments. Especially Holy Burst from the BoED. Less damage, but I love to yell, "Hoooooooooolyyyyyyyyy BUUUUUUUUUURRRRSSSSSSSST!!!" (It's almost as fun as yelling, "Dragon SLAAAAAAAAAVVVVE!!!!!" )
    But nowhere as cool (or ridiculous) as FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!
    On-topic, I find metalline to be quite cool, allowing you to change your weapon's material with a thought. Ooh, and brutal surge. You really can't get any more 'ka-pow!' value than that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I love bloodfeeding. In one case I fluffed it such that the sword had a wolf's head design on it that absorbed the blood, and that when the property's damage boost is activated, the blade explosively extends spikes while it's embedded in its victim.

Brutal Surge is also pretty awesome, as is fleshgrinding. D&D CHAINSAW MASSACRE!

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hehe. A throwing master using fleshgrinding masterslaying daggers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    Hehe. A throwing master using fleshgrinding masterslaying daggers.
    Where's Masterslaying from and what does it do?

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

BoVD, and it attacks the person holding it for an autocrit if they aren't wearing the scabbard for the weapon. Also, it hits them as if they were flatfooted. Great for when they pull your grinding weapons out.
    Last edited by Stallion; 2011-01-05 at 09:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

I like spell storing, assuming you have some means to get spells into it (which may be a spell-slinging buddy).
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cursed Backbiter and Berzerking. Plus Mercy.
    I made it for a Frenzied Berzerker who like to TPK the party.

Its fun to watch that guy flail himself half to death and then some more.
    See, I don't appreciate guys who go, "Noooo I only do 150 damage per swing at 8th level" and frenzies himself in the middle of the party when he stubs his toe.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Check out this PRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dislocator (MIC 32) is a +1 weapon enhancement that three times a day makes whatever you hit next teleport 10 ft. The description says "target" instead of creature, meaning that someone with a decent imagination could come with some very creative uses both in and out of combat--especially on a reach weapon. Even without a wide definition of target there are a number of potential uses. In a game I'm currently in we have a Bard with a dislocator whip who uses it to great effect. In the last session he insta-disarmed an enemy and teleported a party member out of the mouth of a creature actively eating her.

If 10 ft isn't good enough for you then upgrade to Great Dislocator for 30 ft of teleportation.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin View Post
    But nowhere as cool (or ridiculous) as FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!
    Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to yell that in the middle of a game. I think the closest I've come is (literally) jumping up and yelling "ANCIENT MOUNTAAAAAIIIIINNNN HAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEERRRRRR!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to yell that in the middle of a game. I think the closest I've come is (literally) jumping up and yelling "ANCIENT MOUNTAAAAAIIIIINNNN HAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEERRRRRR!"
    You can't use Stone Dragon maneuvers while jumping.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Bit expensive, as well as difficult to get past your DM, but the +2 Transmuting property is just plain silly in how good it is.
    So good that my DM in fact banned it the moment I brought it up xD
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    You can't use Stone Dragon maneuvers while jumping.
    This is what Tiger Claw was invented for! RAAAAAGGGGIIINNG MONGOOOOOOOSSSEEE!!!!

22. - Top - End - #22

I like: sizing, metalline, and morphing. Why be stuck with one weapon when you can have any that you'd like...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    Icy burst
    *rimshot*
    Secconded. In every meaning of the term "coolest enchantment".
    My favorite weapons have always been Frost Brands.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-01-06 at 09:26 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: Coolest weapon enhancements

18-20 item, put Keen on it or the spell or the feat for it so its 15-20.

add Seeking so you dont miss.

Put Flaming Burst, Frost Burst, Shocking Burst and Acid Burst and Sonic burst if the DM lets you, no reason not to.

take two weapon fighting

when you crit, it hits hard, when you dont, it still hits hard. So many energy types and a creature immune to one of them will just mean 1d6 less.

Creatures immune to magic or universal energy are beyond this build, but its sweet :) take the feat Ancestral Relic and so that one of the swords is half price. Take 5 levels of Kensai and pay for +1 to +5 or from +6 to +10 with experience which is worth it in either case.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Still not as good as casting Finger of Death.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #26

Wounding, Greater Wounding, and (I think) Bonegrinding; 4 Con damage on a hit
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm I like shocking burst the most I must say...
    must have something to do with the emperors force lightning, seeing the movie as a kid made quite an impression on me ^^

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow Striking (ToM), simply say NO to any of the DR, yes even alignments based ones. it is a tad pricey (+3 bonus equivalent) but I am sure that any TWF will find it incredibly useful at higher levels where weird combinations of DR are starting to appear (silver and good or cold iron and good for example)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #29

Mechanically, I'm a sucker for Stunning Surge/Sudden Stunning.

Otherwise... I like the image of a weapon with lots of stacked energy enhancements. A frosted blade, dripping acid and giving off sparks while also on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aurorum: Destroyed weapons made of this material can be re-formed as a full round action, restoring them to their previous state. Only a truly spiteful DM would Sunder your magical weapon. But if your ancestral weapon absolutely positively must survive every encounter, this is your best option. 6,000 gp, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 38.

Banishing weapon enhancement: Extraplanar creatures must Save or be sent back to their home plane. Pretty much an auto win button against summoned enemies, demons, devils, elementals, and many others. I wouldn't put it on your primary weapon, but it's nice to have as a backup. +3 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 113.

Explosive: Whenever you hit with this weapon, everyone within 5 ft of your target (including the target, and potentially you) takes an additional 2d4 damage (Save for half). Use it on a reach weapon if you want to avoid damage, or on a non-reach weapon with the Flame Cincture soulmeld bound to your Waist chakra, which provides Fire Resistance and allows you to deal the resisted damage against an enemy the next round as a Swift Action. +2 bonus, Complete Warrior pg 134.
    th a limited number of times per day. 16,200 gp, Libris Mortis pg 80.

Paralyzing weapon enhancement: Any creature hit must Save or be paralyzed. They get a new save every round. +2 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 113.

Pandemonic Silver: Counts as alchemical Silver. And when you draw a weapon made of this material, everyone within a 30 ft radius (including your allies) must Save or Cower for 1d4 rounds. Now here’s the weird part. The Save DC is based on the speed of wind in the air. It’s bizarre, I know. But if you can get hurricane strength wind (through Control Weather, or an Air Elemental and a nice DM or whatnot) then the Save goes all the way up to DC 28. Price varies by weapon size, Complete Warrior pg 136.

Spellstrike: You can transfer some or all of the enhancement bonus of a weapon into an unnamed bonus to Saves vs. Spells and Spell-like abilities. Like Defending, you should put this enchantment on your gauntlets or armor spikes and cast Greater Magic Weapon on them. +1 bonus, Magic Item Compendium.

Vampiric weapon enhancement: Each hit heals a small amount of damage. +2 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.

Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. +1 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.

Viper weapon enhancement: Your weapon turns into a Viper which you can attack with. This essentially adds Poison damage to every attack you make. The Save DC is pitiful though, so this is only a good option at low levels. +1 bonus, Serpent Kingdoms pg 152.