New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default best system to mimic Star Wars

All on the tin, what is the best system to use (i.e. at least somewhat balanced mechanically) that comes really close to mimicking Star Wars without having that label? (i.e. only fluff differences really)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: best system to mimic Star Wars

There's a D20 star wars, and I think a D6 that's starting to get older and harder to find.

without the ofical label, D20 Furure? Maybe tweak the Firefly game if you don't want d20?
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

What are you looking to get out of it?
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

WEG's d6 Space is their old d6 Star Wars system with the serials filed off, so I do not know if that counts.

MnM 2e and GURPS are both famous for their ability to be pressed into service for almost anything conceivable.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    What are you looking to get out of it?
    I don't really know.
    I want a lightsaber, that's for sure.
    And if there's a system that can be refluffed to force powers,
    that would be good too.

I've been meaning to look into GURPS and MandM.

What is the difference between d6 and d20?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I guess the question I'm getting at is, what's wrong with the games that have the star wars label? Star wars D6 (WEG) and Saga Edition both being fine games in their own right.
    BEEP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    I don't really know.
    I want a lightsaber, that's for sure.
    And if there's a system that can be refluffed to force powers,
    that would be good too.

I've been meaning to look into GURPS and MandM.

What is the difference between d6 and d20?
    About d14.

Star Wars d20 is, as the name suggests, based on WoTC's d20 system. This makes it a class-based system. RCR is really bad, especially in the balance department, but Saga edition is, IMO, the best WoTC-made incarnation of d20 ever.

d6 is the really old system made by West End Games. I have never played or read it, so all I can really tell you is it is a skill-based system, and it apparantly balances even worse than RCR.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

8. - Top - End - #8

RangerGuy

what does RCR mean?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it stands for Revised Core Rulebook (I could be wrong). Essentially, it's the "D&D 3.5" of Star Wars. It shares a lot of things with 3.5 and has a skill based force power system. I played it once and it was okay. I prefer Saga edition.
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

d6. Trust me on this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

D6 Star Wars
    D6 Space (which is basically D6 Star Wars without the badging)
    Star Wars Saga Edition

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I typically go GURPS for my Star Wars.

From being the only system mentioned in this thread that actually has rules for cutting people's limbs off with lightsabers (you can't have Jedi without cutting people's limbs off!) and the option to build all of the force powers myself so that I know exactly what my players are getting into (granted that does take time and effort)... oh and building your own races is a part of the system (which means that even though I constantly assume my players are going to be human, or nearly human, they can actually be whatever they want... even if I have to build the race on the spot which typically takes five minutes).

The issue is learning GURPS takes time... well, learning to play GURPS takes around five minutes, it's learning to build characters and running the game that takes a lot of time, and since your on this site, in this forum, I'd feel safe assuming that you already know the d20 system... so there's already the familiar d20 and SAGA editions, so you might rather go with one of those.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Spycraft with the Shadowforce archer psionic rules to replace force powers.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

You've mentioned balance, but you also want Force-users, which means D6 is out since it doesn't manage that at all. Force-users start out crap, but if end up dominating the game if you stick with them. The original game also had ridiculously overpowered signature characters, as though that were the only way of distinguishing them from the PCs.

Anyway, you'll find as many conversions for Star Wars into other systems as there are other systems (at least). My preference is for FATE 3.0, specifically Legends of Anglerre, I use a hack inspired by Saga Edition.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    d6. Trust me on this.
    chalk me up for another vote for D6 space. Its the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGuy

Never played d6, but I've had a lot of positive experience with Saga. It's fun and pretty balanced (way better than D&D 3.5 anyway; depending on how powerful you like stuff to be, you might want to set a min lvl for Skill focus: use the force but that's about it).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

GURPS.

Use the Psionics rules along with energy weapons from GURPS Ultra-Tech and space flight rules from GURPS... Space I think, I don't quite remember where they are.

Optionally use combat rules from GURPS Martial Arts for lightsaber duels.

Actual Star Wars official RPGs tend not to do "balance" well when mixing Force-users and non-Force-users.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-01-06 at 06:30 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

normally i am a huge fan of GURPS, but IMO the system is a little deadly/gritty for star wars where (despite a barrage of blaster fire) protagonists pull off some pretty ridiculous things. *if* you want the grittier feel, go with GURPS but players are gonna die far more than in the movies without stun rules or the like.

Star wars Saga Edition captures the heroic feel pretty well imo...

i never liked the WEG d6 system but its been more than 10 years since ive played it, if i tried again my opinion might be very different

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

GURPS can do cinematic. Just load up on the optional cinematic rules!

GURPS Martial Arts does a very good job of it, really.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

Sorry to go against popular opinion, but my group found D6 very clunky and not particularly fun to play.

I'd recommend Savage Worlds, using the Magic system for Force abilities, or, if you don't mind a little more homebrewing, the Firefly/Serenity RPG. The second one has a lot more fluff support for a Star Wars game and a more fun, dynamic combat system, but you'll basically need to make up your own Force abilities from scratch.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

21. - Top - End - #21

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofDellot View Post

From being the only system mentioned in this thread that actually has rules for cutting people's limbs off with lightsabers (you can't have Jedi without cutting people's limbs off!)
    D6 Star Wars has a very simple rule for that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

star wars d6 has free rules online somewhere and it is my 2nd favorite system
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

23. - Top - End - #23

Star Wars D6 from WEG gets my vote overall. Revised rules set. The rules are simple, but the mechanics can be fairly in-depth. I suggest tweaking the Force. I play the Force abilities as attributes, same as Strength, Dexterity, etc. The Powers end up being worked the same way as skills, requiring training in them to be used. It balances those mechanics very nicely.

Mini-six is based on Open D6, which is what Star Wars D6 became. Open D6 is OGL and can be found for free on the net. Mini-six is a rules-lite variant of Open D6, and is available for free as well. It's adaptable, which is why I enjoy it. It can immitate Star Wars readily.

Mutants & Masterminds is, if you have a strong understanding of the rules and get how the mechanics work, a great system for a more rules intense situation. I've been able to create worlds from Fantasy to Sci-Fi with M&M pretty easily. Star Wars is no exception, and can mimic this Universe well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'll toss another vote on for Star Wars Saga Edition. It's a wonderful, cinematic system that incorporates the fluff quite well.

Other than that, I guess my vote would be for GURPS.
    The extra ingredient is otter.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, guys?

He said without the Star Wars label.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zuljita View Post
    normally i am a huge fan of GURPS, but IMO the system is a little deadly/gritty for star wars where (despite a barrage of blaster fire) protagonists pull off some pretty ridiculous things. *if* you want the grittier feel, go with GURPS but players are gonna die far more than in the movies without stun rules or the like.
    Actually, there are some optional rules that you can use. Good guys always fire first and storm trooper marksmanship academy (everyone misses their first volley at the heroes) are two important ones. Of course, I don't tell the players which ones I'm using, so they feel like they're really in danger.

I've run some very cinematic games in GURPS with just application of house rules, optional rules and use of supplements such as imbuements.

It's also about the point tweaking. Heroic Star Wars characters are probably 300+ pts each, where the storm troopers are maybe 75 pts. Criticals still happen, but then that's what Luck is for. According to every movie, tv show and book I've read about heroic characters no matter what the genre they always have something good happen just at the right time. In GURPS that's Luck.

The biggest problem would be putting the force powers together, but all that is just work waiting to be done. They're all more or less there, just need to be tweaked for SW. There's even existing rules for precognitive parrying of blaster bolts.
    Game systems played: D&D Basic (and other rainbow coloured boxes), AD&D, D&D 2, D&D 3 & 3.5, Champions, GURPS, Warhammer, Cyberpunk, Rifts... and more I can't remember.

Current Campaign(s): Savage Worlds post apoc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofDellot View Post
    This is what I do and have done. It takes a few supplemental books to get all of the rules together (I consider Martial Arts to be a core book though) for the true feeling of star wars. I'm sure if you look on the SJGames forums there will be dozens of threads on configuring the game for Star Wars.
    Game systems played: D&D Basic (and other rainbow coloured boxes), AD&D, D&D 2, D&D 3 & 3.5, Champions, GURPS, Warhammer, Cyberpunk, Rifts... and more I can't remember.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, I still have that campaign guide I was working on (but never finished) for my Sith Academy game. Personally, I think that Powers is the book of choice for things like:

Spoiler
    Show
    Force Control [5/Level]
    Telekinesis (1 FP, -10%; Increased Range x50, +20%; The Force, -10%)
    Telekinesis at a range of 50 Yards. It costs 1 FP to activate it and center it on an object, and an additional point per minute you need to focus on the single object. Your level is your effective ST when using the Ability. You do not add your Force Talent to these rolls, but you do add Force Talent to any DX rolls made using this Power.

Lightning [4]
    Burning Attack 4 (2 FP/Dice, -50%; Increased 1/2D x5, +10%; Reduced Range 5, -20%; Side Effect: Stun, +50%; Surge, +20%; The Force, -10%) (Alternate Ability, x1/5)
    Prerequisite: Force Control Level 8
    You may fire Lightning from your fingertips. It costs 2 FP per dice and requires an Innate Attack Skill Roll. The target may Dodge, but not parry this attack. The target must be within 10 Yards to take full damage, or within 20 Yards to take half. On a successful attack, the target must Roll against HT at a penalty equal to half the penetrating damage or be Stunned. He may make an unmodified HT roll each second thereafter to recover.

Jedi Mind Trick [5]
    Affliction (2 FP, -20%; Disadvantage: Gullibility, +30%; Malediction 3 (Limited Range 50 Yards), +150%; The Force, -10%) (Alternate Ability, x1/5)
    Prerequisite: Force Control Level 5
    You may trick people into believing reasonably believable, or somewhat bizarre facts as long as the individual in question is not asked to hurt himself or anyone he cares for, asked to relinquish an item more important or valuable than a single dose of a legal hallucinogenic drug, or asked to answer a question that requires more than a passing thought. You must spend 2 FP and win a Will contest with the subject, the Subject is fooled for a number of minutes equal to the margin of success.

For a small sample of what I had in the works as far as force powers... The game was meant to be dark and gritty since it took place far inside the darkside and I was including templates for easy to replace PCs, such as:

Spoiler
    Show
    Marauder
    200 Points
    Attributes: ST 12 [20]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
    Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 28; HP 12 [0]; Will 12 [10]; Per 10 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].
    Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Weapon Master (Lightsaber or Double Bladed Lightsaber) [20]; Force Control 5 [25]; Signature Gear (Lightsaber or Double-Bladed Lightsaber) [1]; and 35 points chosen among Ambidexterity [5]; Luck [15]; Mind Shield [4/level]; Perfect Balance [15]; or Force Powers.
    Disadvantages: -40 Points chosen among Bloodlust [-10*]; Bully [-10*]; Callous [-5]; Greed [-15*]; Impulsiveness [-10*]; Overconfidence [-5*]; Sadism [-15*]; and Selfish [-5*].
    Primary Skills: Choice of Lightsaber (A) DX+2 [8]-15 or Lightsaber (Double) (H) DX+1 [8]-14; Fast-Draw (Lightsaber) (E) DX+2 [4]-14 and Armory (Lightsaber) (A) IQ+2 [8]-12.
    Secondary Skills: Choose 5 of, Acrobatics (H) DX-1 [2]-12, Blaster (Pistol or Rifle) DX+1 [2]-14; Holdout (A) DX [2]-13; Intimidation (A) Will [2]-12; Jumping (E) DX+1 [2]-14; Gunner (E) DX+2 [2]-14; Mental Strength (E) Will+1 [2]-13; Piloting (Starfighter) (A) DX [2]-13; or Thrown Weapon (Lightsaber) (E) DX+1 [2]-14.
    Background skills: Choose 4 of Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Computer Operation (E) IQ [1]-10; Drive (Hover) (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Forced Entry (E) DX [2]-13; Power Blow (H) Will-2 [1]-10; Running (A) HT-1 [1]-11; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-12; or Wrestling (A) DX-1 [1]-12.

I know, it's not perfect, but it was fun to make, and I'm sure it would do fine for a short game... and while that was a completed template (and I didn't finish the other two) that wasn't the complete powers list (but I have it done). The whole Prerequisite thing was a concept to make the players work up into the cooler powers by having to level their force control at the expense of their other abilities (and so that I wouldn't have to re-explain the alternate abilities rules every half-hour) and totally included as an optional rule so the only house rule mentioned in this post is Peekitty's suggestion to double the modifier of FP costs.
    Last edited by DukeofDellot; 2011-01-06 at 02:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

I'd say careful DMing and mastering of Mutants and Masterminds. You really can tweak it to just about anything you want. You just need everyone on the same power level page.

edit: I mean come on, Jedis are basically super heroes and Sith are basically super villains. Its set in a space opera setting, but who is kidding themselves? Its really a superhero genre.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-01-06 at 02:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    edit: I mean come on, Jedis are basically super heroes and Sith are basically super villains. Its set in a space opera setting, but who is kidding themselves? Its really a superhero genre.
    Except that in my last two games of Star Wars no one has wanted to play a jedi. The GM had to convince me in our last one to multi-class into it after I made a different class entirely at the start (d20 system).