Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1454
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

I know. I'm only addressing that specific point right this second.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

There seems to be some confusion over the matter of OGL vs. non-OGL material. Some people, bewildered, ask "Why does that matter if we're breaking the rules by using the monsters in the first place?" and such, as well as Bloody Initiate making a suggestion: "grab some of the sweet breath weapons from other OGL dragons".

Really, there's two rules you should be following as far as referring to copyrighted materials:
    • Don't copy, word for word, text from copyrighted material. I do believe that's against the forum rules anyways. Besides that, and besides the legality issues, it's lazy and not necessary (especially for monster abilities). Further, don't copy that same text and change the wording so it looks original.
    • Don't expect players to have access to a given sourcebook. If you're telling players that they gain a spell or feat from page 113 of It's Cold Outside and they don't have that splatbook, they can't make effective use of your work.

That's about as far as it goes.

Adding bonus options based on dragons in copyrighted material for the half dragon would be a perfectly fine option, provided those options were original work. If one was copying abilities from said dragons to give the half dragon some options, that would be problematic.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I know. I'm only addressing that specific point right this second.
    Well then maybe I can express my concern another way:

Everything with Spell Resistance has a Level Adjustment, right? I'm not 100% sure, but even if it's not everything I'm pretty sure it's most things.

This is because spell resistance was viewed as being significantly powerful enough to justify a high cost to get it. The same is true of spontaneous casting, to use another example.

The similarity between both is that they aren't as good as WotC thought.

So I look at the Half Dragon template and realize that the breath weapon is part of the LA, but it's not really worth the LA.

I look at your class and I see the same breath weapon (Yours is nicer for sure, but it's still a stock breath weapon) costing me a second level of a class without really giving me any options I couldn't get elsewhere. Breath weapons are cool and all, but they take a standard action and usually aren't worth using unless they do something in addition to damage. Although they're a nice ace-up-the-sleeve against swarms or enemies vulnerable to your energy type, those are both specific circumstances.

Your class's breath weapon is... neat, it'll average about 52 points of damage at level 18 if they fail their save, but I get the feeling that by that time - and much of the time before - you'll have something better to do with your standard action.

So is it so strange someone might want an option to make the damage harder to resist/effective against incorporeal targets, or that a status affect would make me smile?

As far as I know breath weapons don't stack, so you tend to want the single one you get from that single source to be worth something. More damage is certainly cool, but not creative or difficult to create.

Of course you can always grab the Entangling Exhalation feat, and that's pretty sweet, so maybe my concerns are irrelevant. Perhaps I'm just dragon'd out, and all the dragon stuff looks the same anymore.
    Last edited by Bloody Initiate; 2011-03-08 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Changed my failure at math

4. - Top - End - #1234

Front Page Changes, March 08, 2011:
    • Added the following question and answer into the FAQ, to address some persistent confusion over copyrighted material:
      Spoiler
      Show
      What are the rules on using copyrighted material?
      The hard & fast rule (for here & elsewhere) is that you can base your monster classes on material from original sources. You can't copy text directly from copyrighted material. OGL stuff (Stuff found in the SRD or posted by WotC online) is kosher. Anything else is probably not. When in doubt, ask in the thread.

More generally, for this project, don't write up your monster in a way that would demand a player to have a specific sourcebook. If your monster gives a feat or spell that is found on page 113 of It's Cold Outside, and the player doesn't have that book, the player can't use your monster. This is annoying and bad. That leaves two solid options:
      • Don't do it. Come up with an original ability or a replacement ability that holds to the spirit of that particular spell, feat or ability.
      • Offer an equal and fair alternative. Something along the lines of "You gain X spell from Y sourcebook or you gain the following ability, described below."

Don't expect, either, for a player to have the sourcebook with the monster you want to play.
    • Added Grick to unfinished monsters list.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-08 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vivisector proofread, cleaned up, and PMd to TheGeckoKing.

Justice Archon...we'll see if I can get it done in the next half-hour.

The remaining two Greenbound symbionts and the promised casting-advancement tables (for a little less math and confusion when going into Sorcerer after levels in Dragon or something else with "virtual Sorcerer levels") are probably going to have to wait for next week, though I might have a shot at the Symbionts over the weekend.
    delete Teemo.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Thanks for your efforts, Psyborg.

As for myself, at present, I'm just proofreading/updating my old monsters and plugging away at the Frostwind Virago.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Added a duration to Phantom's Incorporeal Juant so Incorporeal Movement is relevant for longer. Also specified that their equipment doesn't turn incorporeal with them (left out basic clothing so there's some room to fluff without mechanics).

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Justice Archon is mostly done. Finished tomorrow, I promise. G'night, y'all.

-Psy
    delete Teemo.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Hi. Not dead yet. Been putting off the garngrath for a while now, but I just recently got it up to the halfway finished point. If I keep at that pace, I may have it up by the end of the week so everybody can ignore it over spring break.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Justice Archon proofread completed and PM'd to Zemro Shivic. That clears my backlog. Sorry for the delay with that and the Vivisector (not to mention my own sorely-in-need-of-updating Greenbound Creature...); things are a little crazy with midterms week.

-Psy
    delete Teemo.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Justice Archon has been updated, and I'm working on a critique of the Centaur and maybe one for Half-Dragon. There'll probably be more of the same on the latter, but there are some things that I quite like about the class that usually bug me with other two level monsters. So, hopefully, I can provide some good constructive comments there.

My home computer's effectively gone out of commission so it might take a little bit as my Internet access is, more or less, reduced to school hours only.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

12. - Top - End - #1242

No need to go crazy guys, geez. I mean, going out of your way to do monster class stuff in the middle of midterms? It's appreciated, but nobody's demanding that of you. Feel free to say, like, "I'm going to take a bit of a break while I deal with priority stuff." Ditto if you're struggling with computer issues & limited PC time.

Frostwind Virago is done, roughly. I've made enough revisions, though, that she feels a little rough around the edges and I may have missed stuff. I'm going to wait until Drow or Centaur pass muster before posting her, since I need to write up more details on her powers anyways.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nah, midterms are over now (my three classes are hovering around a high A, a low A, and a low B, so I'm fairly happy). And if you think I can study all day, then I've got some beachfront property in Montana to sell you. Should anything seriously interfere, then yeah, I'll totally take a break (like when finals week rolls around). But so far, no problems have been caused.

Regardless: what monsters need proofreading next? I get antsy without any work to do *chuckle*, and proofreading is easier to do in bits and pieces when I have the chance than working on my own projects.

-Psy
    delete Teemo.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ettin in the Playground

Razor Boar:
    Oh yes, choosing between 1d8 slashing damage and 1d8 bludgeoning damage, great choice there. Now compare it to an actual PC class.
    No, actually, choosing between sword n' board, two hander, TWF, exotic weapons, reach weapons, ranged weapons... etc.
    Compare it to an actual PC class? Okay, how about warblade. You have the option to attack 2 enemies at once with steel wind, or make them flat footed with sapphire nightmare blade, or bull rush them with charging minotaur, or just attack them to restore maneuvers, and you have access to all the above options+ because you have weapon aptitude to allow you to swap out exotic weapon feats. Then you also have the option of taking -2 to AC to add damage to your attacks. Oh, and you also have ranks in tumble, so you have more maneuverability options for stuff like charges and placement.

So when it gains new defenses should be based on level? Or did you mean the whole thing?
    As in at 3rd level it gets DR, at 6th level it gets SR, and at 9th level it gets ER.

I think most DMs would just use the monster, not the class. Still, I guess I can add something in.
    Tell me when you do so.

I'll make a list.
    Looks good.

Alright, moving this to first and rearranging other abilities slightly.
    Okay, okay... Hmm... Well, as is I think it's passable to add to the list. Subjectively it's not perfect (as I've detailed above), but objectively it's A-OK.

Gargoyle:
    Have you finished responding to my review? If so, can I have a link? I can't find it. If not, please PM me when you do so so we can finally get this thing on the list.

Drow:
    As for the scheme & metamagic Gorgon's begging for, I can't think of a way to do it that doesn't make things really annoying or complicated as far as metamagics that affect effective spell levels and whatnot.
    Eh wot? I did say that it should be allowed for spontaneous casting. Where it wouldn't make a mess at all. No, for prepared casting it's quite useless and shouldn't be allowed, I'll agree on that.
    Not up to messing with mage caste ability for wording, as I'm all worded out.
    Well, once you do so tell me, as that's the last thing that's problematic.

Centaur: At a glance it's looking okay, but I have a few more nits to pick at the moment. I'll get to it in a few hours.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I just had my midterms, that's why I can kinda go crazy right now. Also, I called this thing nearly five months ago, I feel its time that I delivered the goods.

BTW, finished up to lvl. 15 at this point. Wording custom abilities always gives me some pause.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Casting Advancement Tables
    These tables are meant for those taking levels in Sorcerer (possibly including prestige classes that advance Sorcerer spellcasting) after taking levels in a class that grants casting progression as a bard and "virtual sorcerer levels" upon multiclassing. The first set of columns are spells per day; the second set are spells known.

Monster Class Level: 19 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 13)
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head] Sorcerer Levels | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    0 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 1 | - | -[/table]

Monster Class Level: 18 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 13)
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head] Sorcerer Levels | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    0 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | -
    2 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 4 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | -
    [/table]

Monster Class Level: 17 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 12)
    Spoiler
    Show

0 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 4 | - | - | -
    2 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 1 | - | -
    3 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 4 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 5 | 2 | - | -[/table]

Monster Class Level: 16 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 12)
    Spoiler
    Show

0 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 2 | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 3 | - | - | -
    2 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | -
    3 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | - | - | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 4 | 2 | - | -
    4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 3 | - | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 4 | 2 | 1 | -[/table]

Monster Class Level: 15 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 11)
    Spoiler
    Show

0 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -
    2 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | -
    3 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | -
    4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 4 | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 2 | - | -
    5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -[/table]

Monster Class Level: 14 (Virtual Sorcerer Level 10)
    Spoiler
    Show

0 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | -
    1 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | - | - | - | -
    2 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 3 | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 1 | - | - | -
    3 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 4 | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 6 | 5 | 2 | - | - | -
    4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 3 | - | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 1 | - | -
    5 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 6 | 4 | - | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 6 | 6 | 3 | 2 | - | -
    6 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 7 | 5 | 3 | - | 6 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 6 | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -[/table]

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    And here we go with the start of the next project! Formatting will be tweaked to make the tables more readable once they're complete; at this point it's more important that they line up when not rendered, to keep me from making errors in creating them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorcerer casting advancement on reaching level:
    {table=head]L | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    2 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | 1 | 0 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
    3 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
    4 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | 1 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
    5 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
    6 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | 1 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -
    7 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -
    8 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -
    9 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -
    10|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | - | - | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | - | - | -
    11|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | -
    12|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | - | -
    13|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | - | - | -
    14|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | - | -
    15|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | - | -
    16|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | -
    17|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | - | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | -
    18|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1
    19|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
    20|0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1
    [/table]

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    ~7:15PM March 9 2011: Original Post: Raw-format tables for advancing after 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, or 14 levels in a monster class.
    delete Teemo.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Carnival came and went (oh Brazil, how much I love you), and I can finally post here the revisions I was making.

I did a complete revision on the ragewalker and the mechanic. I suppose now the Ragewalker is a little less boring, as people said it was: Here.

BTW, any critics, please, give a better idea. I don't have enought time now with college and all. Just saying "bah, not good, too powerful" does not help. Please estate what you believe would be better.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

18. - Top - End - #1248

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    BTW, any critics, please, give a better idea. I don't have enought time now with college and all. Just saying "bah, not good, too powerful" does not help. Please estate what you believe would be better.
    I'm not entirely sure I follow. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but... why would you make a monster class if you want someone else to come up with the ideas for you?

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, just going to post this rough draft. Please critique.

Assassin Vine

Monster Class
    SRD

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: D12

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
    Maximum Length

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Assassin Vine Body, Home Turf, Creeper, Well Grounded, Mind Seeds, Con. +1, Str. +1|
    10 Ft.

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|Entangle, Improved Grab, Reaching Tendrils, Str. +1, Con. +1|
    15 Ft.

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Entangling Charge, Assassin Grapevine, Growth, Con. +1, Str. +1|
    30 Ft.

[/table]

Skill Points: (2 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level.
    Class Skills: The Assassin Vine’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis),and Use Rope (Dex).

Proficiencies: The Assassin Vine gains proficiency with its natural weapons.

Assassin Vine Body: The Assassin Vine loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a Plant . It gains Plant traits, granting it immunity to all mind-affecting effects, immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning, immunity to critical hits, and Blindsense out 40'. Assassin Vines are initially Medium sized creatures with a base land speed of 15' and a climb speed of 15', possessing 1 Slam that deals 1d8 + Str. modifier damage, a constrict attack that deals 1d8 + 2 x Str. modifier and Natural Armor equal to their Con modifier. Assassin Vines cannot wear armor, due to their unique method of movement. An Assassin Vine has Common as starting languages, with additional languages for a high Int score as normal. An assassin vine cannot normally speak, but the speak with plants spell cast on the vine allows it to speak languages it can understand instead of its normal effect.

Attribute Increase: The Assassin Vine gains +1 to Strength and Constitution at levels 1,2, and 3 for a total increase of +3 Constitution and +3 Strength at level.

Home Turf (Ex.): At first level an Assassin Vine selects it's subspecies from the list below, and gains the appropriate bonus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table="head"]
    Home Turf|Ability|

Cave|Fire Resistance 10|

Cliff|+5' base land speed|

Forest|Deals an additional 1d6 piercing damage on a successful Slam or Constrict|

Swamp|Can use Obscuring Mist 2/Day as a (Su.) ability|
    [/table]
    Additionally,

Creeper (Ex.): Instead of actually 'moving', an Assassin Vine simply grows incredibly fast. Whenever an Assassin Vine takes a move action, it also occupies all of the squares it moved through, up to a maximum of 10' + 5' per HD. If, at the end of the Assassin Vine's turn, it occupies more spaces than its limit will allow, then it stops occupying spaces until it meets it's limit, starting with the oldest spaces first. Because of this form of movement, an Assassin Vine ignores all terrain effects that impede movement. An Assassin Vine cannot take run actions or any other form of accelerated movement outside of it's Entangling Charge ability.

Well Grounded (Ex.): An Assassin Vine has electricity resistance equal to it's HD x 3.

Mind Berries (Su.): Any creature that eats one of the Assassin Vine's berries can communicate telepathically with the Assassin Vine as if they shared a language. The range of this Telepathy is 100' per HD.

Entangle (Su.): At second level, an Assassin Vine can use Entangle a number of time per day equal to it's HD. At 8 HD, this ability changes to at will. Both feats that affect spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities can be applied to this feat.

Improved Grab (Ex..): At second level, an Assassin Vine gains Improved Grab, as the monster ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Reaching Tendrils (Ex.): At second level, an Assassin Vine gains the ability to make a number of attacks of opportunity equal to it's HD in addition to the number of attacks of opportunity it can already make.

Entangling Charge (Ex.): At third level, as a standard action, an Assassin Vine can charge at a single opponent within 40' currently effected by it's Entangle ability.

Assassin Grapevine(Ex.): At third level, an Assassin Vine begins to grow berries that are filled with a fast-acting paralytic. This is a poison that, if ingested, forces the victim to make a fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ the Vine's HD + Constitution modifier) or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to the Assassin Vine's HD. Alternatively, if an Assassin Vine is currently grappling with an opponent, it can attempt to force a berry down it's opponent's throat. To do this, an Assassin Vine must first succeed at an opposed strength check. If this succeeds, then the opponent suffers the effects as if they had eaten the berry as normal.

Growth (Ex.): At third level, the Assassin Vine's size increases to large, and it's maximum length for it's Creeper ability increases to 10' + 10' per HD. For every 6 HD after this, it grows another size category and the maximum amount of squares for it's Creeper ability doubles (Huge and 20' at 9 HD, Gargantuan and 40' at 15 HD, up to Colossal and 80' at 21 HD)

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

So, this is the Assassin Vine. As you can see, It gets Blindsense instead of Blindsight, mostly because Blindsense doesn't get enough love. It also loses the fire and cold resistance, because on a plant that doesn't make much sense.

Other than that, I mostly added things based off of what little flavor the thing has. Assassin Grapevine is mostly because I thought, "Why do they have berries? They can move and make their own fertilizer for gods sake!" So I just kind of threw that in there. I can take it out if anyone wants, as I can see why a save or die at third level wouldn't work. Mind berries net you Telepathy without being easily broken by the Mindsight feat. The others are similar to abilities that the Vine already had, either in the fluff or in the crunch. If anyone thinks that this is broken, or can find a better way to phrase the 'Creeper' ability, then let me know.
    I'm thinking of changing it's size after Growth to Large (long) instead.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show

March 9th: Class Posted

March 10th: Added Name (*facepalm*)
    Rewrote Assassin Grapevine so it has two types of berries
    Put a range limit on Telepathy
    Lowered range on Creeper to 10' + 5' per HD.
    Added Saidoro's rewrites
    Added Growth
    Removed Silent Killer
    Last edited by Scio; 2011-03-10 at 10:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

Sharakim

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+1|+2|+0|+2 |Sharakim Body, Brutish Erudite, Sucker Punch
    [/table]
    Skills: 4+int modifier, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spot, & Spellcraft.

Proficiencies: Sharakim are proficient with Simple and Martial weapons and Light Armor.

Sharakim Body: The Sharakim is a medium humanoid with a move speed of 30' and darkvision out to 60'.

Brutish Erudite: Possessing great amounts of raw power in both mind and body, gaining +2 to either Strength or Intelligence and +1 to the other, Sharakim have learned to utilize this power in various situations.
    They may use their Intelligence modifiers for the purposes of Bluff and Diplomacy, and may use their Strength modifier for the purposes of Concentration and Intimidate checks.
    Finally, a Sharakim who multiclasses into an Intelligence based spellcasting class can count his Sharakim levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Sharakim 1 who took 1 level of Wizard could choose to have CL 2 and get 1 0th and 1 1st level spell slot. He wouldn't get the spell slots of a 1st level Wizard, however. He would get the familiar ability, Scribe Scroll and specialization options, but Sharakim levels wouldn't count for it.

Sucker Punch: While Sharakim so often fight for acceptance as an intelligent and civilized race, they can also take advantage of their dual nature when needed.
    Once per encounter as a part of a charge or single attack, the Sharakim may choose to swing wildly and intentionally miss. They gain a bonus to AC equal to their HD or their intelligence modifier, whichever is higher, until the beginning of their next turn, though they cannot gain any other bonuses from this attack, such as from attacking defensively or combat expertise
    If they are currently in combat with the enemy, the Sharakim then makes a Bluff check against that enemy. If they succeed, the enemy must make some sort of offensive action against the Sharakim on their turn if able, believing the Sharakim to be off balance from his wild and brutish attack. Even if the enemy succeeds on their sense motive check, they may still choose to attack the Sharakim.
    If the enemy attacks and does not hit the Sharakim next turn, the Sharakim may make one free attack against that enemy: this is similar in function to an attack of opportunity, but does not use up an attack of opportunity and can be used with things like maneuvers, touch attacks such as a trip or disarm, the Intimidating Strike feat, etc. The Sharakim gains a bonus equal to his Intelligence modifier on this attack.
    At 6 HD, he may add his Intelligence modifier to the damage as well.
    At 8 HD, the enemy is considered Flat-Footed against this attack.
    At 10 HD, the enemy must succeed on a Will save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be Stunned for 1 round.
    At 12 HD, the enemy must also succeed on a Reflex save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be knocked prone.
    At 14 HD, the Sharakim adds both his HD and his Intelligence modifier to his AC until the end of the turn.
    At 16 HD, the enemy must also succeed on a Fortitude save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be instantly dropped to 0 hp. This effect only works against enemies vulnerable to critical hits.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Sharakim. They make good spellcasters, they make good melee'rs, they make good rogue types. Not sure about... any of the abilities, really, but there you go.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-03-10 at 06:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Scio View Post
    Hey, just going to post this rough draft. Please critique. Put the creature name up here in size 5.
    Class:
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: D12

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
    Maximum Length

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Assassin Vine Body, Home Turf, Creeper, Well Grounded, Mind Seeds, Con. +1, Str. +1|
    10 Ft.

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|Entangle, Improved Grab, Reaching Tendrils, Str. +1, Con. +1|
    20 Ft.

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Entangling Charge, Assassin Grapevine, Silent Killer, Con. +1, Str. +1|
    30 Ft.

[/table]

Skill Points: (2 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level.
    Class Skills: The Assassin Vine’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis),and Use Rope (Dex).

Proficiencies: The Assassin Vine gains proficiency with its natural weapons.

Assassin Vine Body: The Assassin Vine loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a Plant . It gains Plant traits, granting it immunity to all mind-affecting effects, immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning, immunity to critical hits, and Blindsense out 40'. This is a lot of stuff. Consider spreading it out a bit? Assassin Vines are initially Medium sized creatures with a base land speed of 15' and a climb speed of 15', possessing 1 Slam that deals 1d8 + Str. modifier damage, a constrict attack that deals 1d8 + 2 x Str. modifier and Natural Armor equal to their Con modifier. Assassin Vines cannot wear armor, due to their unique method of movement. An Assassin Vine has Plant I don't think plant is a language. (Could be wrong though.) and Common as starting languages, with additional languages for a high Int score as normal. However, an Assassin Vine cannot speak, unless it has had a speak with plants spell cast on it. Reword: An assassin vine cannot normally speak, but the speak with plants spell cast on the vine allows it to speak languages it can understand instead of its normal effect.

Attribute Increase: The Assassin Vine gains +1 to Strength and Constitution at levels 1,2, and 3 for a total increase of +3 Constitution and +3 Strength at level.

Home Turf (Ex.): At first level an Assassin Vine selects it's subspecies from the list below, and gains the appropriate bonus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table="head"]
    Home Turf|Ability|

Cave|Fire Resistance 10|

Cliff|+5' base land speed|

Forest|Deals an additional 1d6 piercing damage on a successful Slam or Constrict|

Swamp|Can use Obscuring Mist at-will as an (Ex.) ability|
    You forgot an [ /table]tag.

Creeper (Ex.): Instead of actually 'moving', an Assassin Vine simply grows incredibly fast. Whenever an Assassin Vine takes a move action, it also occupies all of the squares it moved through, up to a maximum of 10' + 10' per HD This is a lot of spaces. Consider capping it, or only having it scale only with level. Also it might be better to talk about this in terms of the number of 5' cubes it can occupy. If, at the end of the Assassin Vine's turn, it occupies more spaces then than it's its limit will allow, then it stops occupying spaces until it meets it's limit, starting with the oldest spaces first.

Well Grounded (Ex.): An Assassin Vine has electricity resistance equal to it's HD x 3.

Mind Berries (Su.): Any creature that eats one of the Assassin Vine's berries can communicate telepathically with the Assassin Vine as if they shared a language. For how long? At what range? As written an assassin vine could live comfortably relaying messages across the known multiverse without ever having to move beyond occasionally delivering a berry when someone dies.

Entangle (Sp.): At second level, an Assassin Vine can use Entangle a number of time per day equal to it's HD. At 8 HD, this ability changes to at will.

Improved Grab (Ex..): At second level, an Assassin Vine initiates a grapple whenever it hits with it's slam attack. Change to "May initiate a grapple". Also, it may be better to just give it improved grab.

Reaching Tendrils (Ex.): At second level, an Assassin Vine gains the ability to make an amount number of attacks of opportunity equal to it's HD in addition to the amount number of attacks of opportunity it can already make.

Entangling Charge (Ex.): At third level, as a standard action, an Assassin Vine can charge at a single opponent within 40' currently effected by it's Entangle ability. Kind of dull. This might be better if it could use entangle as a move action or something.

Assassin Grapevine(Ex.): At third level, an Assassin Vine's berries become filled with a fast-acting paralytic. This is a poison that, if ingested, forces the victim to make a fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ the Vine's HD + Constitution modifier) or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to the Assassin Vine's HD. Alternatively, if an Assassin Vine is currently grappling with an opponent, it can attempt to force a berry down it's opponent's throat. To do this, an Assassin Vine must first succeed at an opposed strength check. If this succeeds, then the opponent suffers the effects as if they had eaten the berry as normal. Can it turn this off? This kind of shuts down mind berries, yes they could just wait out the poison, but it seems odd that they'd have too.

Silent Killer (Ex.): At third level, if the Assassin Vine has it's opponent pinned, it can attempt to silence it's opponent by winning on an opposed grapple check. While an opponent is silenced, it cannot talk or cast spells with verbal components, as if they were effected by a Silence spell. When pinning an opponent you already have the option of stopping them from talking, this does nothing.

This guy really seems like it should become large sized at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Sharakim
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+1|+2|+0|+2 |Sharakim Body, Brutish Erudite, Sucker Punch
    [/table]
    Skills: 4+int modifier, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spot, & Spellcraft.

Proficiencies: Sharakim are proficient with Simple and Martial weapons and Light Armor.

Sharakim Body: The Sharakim is a medium humanoid with a move speed of 30' and darkvision out to 60'. They gain a natural armor bonus equal to half their Constitution modifier.

Brutish Erudite: Possessing great amounts of raw power in both mind and body, gaining +2 to either Strength or Intelligence and +1 to the other, Sharakim have learned to utilize this power in various situations.
    They may use their Intelligence modifiers for the purposes of Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive and Strength what?, and may use their Strength modifier for the purposes of Concentration checks.
    Finally, a Sharakim who multiclasses into an Intelligence based spellcasting class can count his Sharakim levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Sharakim 1 who took 1 level of Wizard could choose to have CL 2 and get 1 0th and 1 1st level spell slot. He wouldn't get the spell slots of a 1st level Wizard, however. He would get the familiar ability, Scribe Scroll and specialization options, but Sharakim levels wouldn't count for it.

This makes for a really good wizard dip, +2 int, good fort and will, intelligence to a bunch of stuff, martial weapons and extra HP for when you still need to worry about that. And no loss of caster levels, meaning no long-term price. I could be over reacting, but it seems a bit much.

Sucker Punch: While Sharakim so often fight for acceptance as an intelligent and civilized race, they can also take advantage of their dual nature when needed.
    As a part of a charge or single attack, the Sharakim may choose to swing wildly and intentionally miss. They cannot gain any other bonuses from this attack, such as from attacking defensively or combat expertise; however, they do gain a bonus to AC equal to their HD or their intelligence modifier, whichever is higher, until the beginning of their next turn.
    They then make a bluff check against the enemy. If they succeed, the enemy must make some sort of offensive action on their turn if able, believing the Sharakim to be off balance from his wild and brutish attack. Even if the enemy succeeds on their sense motive check, they may still choose to attack the Sharakim.
    If the enemy attacks and does not hit the Sharakim next turn, the Sharakim may make one free attack against that enemy: this is similar in function to an attack of opportunity, but does not use up an attack of opportunity and can be used with things like maneuvers, touch attacks such as a trip or disarm, the Intimidating Strike feat, etc. The Sharakim gains a bonus equal to his Intelligence modifier on this attack.
    At 6 HD, he may add his Intelligence modifier to the damage as well.
    At 8 HD, the enemy is considered Flat-Footed against this attack.
    At 10 HD, the enemy must succeed on a Will save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be Stunned for 1 round.
    At 12 HD, the enemy must also succeed on a Reflex save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be knocked prone.
    At 14 HD, the Sharakim adds both his HD and his Intelligence modifier to his AC until the end of the turn.
    At 16 HD, the enemy must also succeed on a Fortitude save DC (10+1/2 HD+Int or Str mod) or be instantly dropped to 0 hp. This effect only works against enemies vulnerable to critical hits.
    I've got the mechanic for riding the boar for wrench worked out, just an opposed, size-modified strength check after the initial check, riding on success, pulling out on failure, just need to figure out how to put it in there without making the wording hideously clunky and ugly.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ettin in the Playground

It's intended to be a really good wizard dip.

23. - Top - End - #1253

But wizards don't need good dips. They're Wizards.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-10 at 12:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    But wizards don't need good dips. They're Wizards.
    I think you're looking at this in the wrong way. I made the class that it be well disposed towards becoming a wizard, not that wizards be well disposed towards it.
    Then again, I suppose the road to imbalance is paved with good intentions. If it's deemed too powerful, I'll scrap it. As is, though, I think it's sortof adding a drop of water to an ocean. Yeah, it makes a really good wizard, but it doesn't make a wizard any more imbalanced than they already are.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-03-10 at 12:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

If it's an LA+1 race, why make a monster class that's strictly better?

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

Because it's not a race worth +1 LA. In fact, it would be a middling LA +0 race.

27. - Top - End - #1257

That's the wrong way of thinking about it.

In any event, I don't recommend that it be scrapped. I do recommend, however, that you offer something that works out as an alternate class feature, like I aimed to do with the Drow. Not an upgrade or a downgrade, but a sidegrade, and ideally one that makes for interesting playstyle and/or flavor.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    That's the wrong way of thinking about it.

In any event, I don't recommend that it be scrapped. I do recommend, however, that you offer something that works out as an alternate class feature, like I aimed to do with the Drow. Not an upgrade or a downgrade, but a sidegrade, and ideally one that makes for interesting playstyle and/or flavor.
    But I did. Sucker Punch makes for great rogue/swordsage/initiators, and it has the BAB and strength to make for a good martial type. Other than spellcasting that it wouldn't qualify for in terms of multiclassing, it'd be good at just about any class.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-03-10 at 12:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1259

Daemon

From an optimization perspective, I would only see this as a superior option for a gish. Strictly speaking, it's not necessarily a straight upgrade for a wizard - but if you offered wizards an ACF where they traded off a single first-level slot and three cantrip slots for +2 Int, +1 BAB, +1 Str, +2 Fort, natural armor, proficiencies, and Int to social skills, I strongly suspect a lot of them would take it even with no gishy plans in their future.

At first level, you'll basically play like a level 1 ranger does (light armor, martial weapons, 1 BAB). After that, you're a wizard who traded a first-level slot and the option of a human bonus feat for the things above.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    From an optimization perspective, I would only see this as a superior option for a gish. Strictly speaking, it's not necessarily a straight upgrade for a wizard - but if you offered wizards an ACF where they traded off a single first-level slot and three cantrip slots for +2 Int, +1 BAB, +1 Str, +2 Fort, natural armor, proficiencies, and Int to social skills, I strongly suspect a lot of them would take it even with no gishy plans in their future.
    Ah, but they also lose their race. It's an important balance point to consider with these classes, especially the 1-level ones.
    Nevertheless, I think I'll scrap the natural armor and some of the int-to abilities.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-03-10 at 12:28 AM.