Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1454
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Question: How much worth would Sneak Attack be, in comparison to Fighter Bonus feats? I intend to give the War Dragon path the option to either gain a fighter bonus feat (with a few draconic extras in the list), or a die of sneak attack, and I worry that the latter option might be useless. This would be gained at levels 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17.

Edit: This will, of course, be only a fraction of the benefits a War Dragon gains.
    Difficult to say exactly...

The fighter variant that trades feats for sneak attack is terrible, but the rogue variant that trades sneak attack for fighter bonus feats is quite useful for some builds.

Unearthed Arcana has sneak attack turned into feats in the same section as the generic classes.

Generally 1d6 sneak attack is NOT worth a feat, but a few more d6s might be. The difficulty of measuring it comes with the levels you base it on, because 10d6 sneak attack is pretty cool and handy, but it's not worth the price of 11 feats. Measuring at level 20 is a mistake though, because so much more of the game takes place before then.

Here's one way to do it:

The first time you trade the feat for sneak attack you get something like a +4 attack and +1d6 damage for sneak attacks and +4 to confirm crits.

Every other time after that when you trade a feat for sneak attack dice, you get as many sneak attack dice as occasions when you've opted to gain a sneak attack die in place of a feat. So the first feat gets you +1d6, but the second gets you +2d6, bringing the total to 3d6. The third time gets you +3d6, bringing your total to 6d6. If you trade four feats in you can have 10d6 sneak attack.

You can say the maximum amount of times you can do this is equal to your dex or intelligence bonus. You can also set minimum HD requirements or BAB requirements or some other form of prerequisite for multiple feat trades.

Basically you make it work like Font of Inspiration and heritage feats, where you are rewarded for investing feats and the bonus becomes more impressive the greater your investment. I always liked that form of scaling with investment.
    Last edited by Bloody Initiate; 2011-03-19 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added the quote for context

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I went with a semi-expanding returns approach, granting +1d6 the first time it is taken, and +2d6 every subsequent time. I've now filled out more of the levels, and at this point, I need to think up interesting abilities for the two different types of dragons to gain as they advance in levels. Both gain "Breath Powers" which are essentially extra effects tacked onto the breath weapon at levels 3, 7, 11 and etc, while the Draconic Paths are more defining in the focus of a particular dragon. Now I kind of need ideas though. What would be a good ability for a draconic magician? A more combat focused dragon? Ideas would be welcome, since I'm kind of running a blank. This is tricky.

As a sidenote about the Druid List being underwhelming compared to the Sorcerer list, I've decided to give Druid-casting dragons extra spells from domain lists, granting them more spells known than their sorcerous brethren.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just to warn you - Gorgondantess tends to groan and moan a lot when bonus feats come up as a class feature, as be believes them lazy and poorly fit for a given monster's flavor. I tend to agree for the most part.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

In this case, I believe they are justified, since they are second fiddle to the actual draconic path abilities, and always come with more interesting abilities at the same level.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-03-19 at 08:56 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

5. - Top - End - #1355

Question is, could you replace those not-very-draconic sneak attack/fighter feats with suitably draconic abilities?

I mean, sure, maybe your design has draconic abilities that aren't overshadowed by such, but perhaps the entire package could be fittingly dragonish, rather than 60% (or 75%).
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-19 at 09:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The thing is, black dragons are sneaky, and sneak attack is a simple, straightforward way to give an advantage based on that. However, I don't want to make that mandatory. Also, it's not just fighter feats. It's also a bunch of much more dragon-ish feats.

Finally, if the rest of the package signifies the flavor well enough, where's the harm in adding a minor extra that isn't actually tailored to the flavor? If it's just something generic enough, it doesn't affect the flavor either way, and can be a good way to give a little extra boost to a class. I don't see the problem here.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

7. - Top - End - #1357

Sneak attack is generally interpreted as the figurative backstab, only reworked to reflect a game without facing (you're facing X direction) rules. The cunning attack that's placed in a vital area, a joint, an artery.

Black Dragons, conversely, are more of an ambush predator. The crocodile lurking on the water's surface. When a fitting prey approaches, the black dragon doesn't attack strategically, sliding a knife (or claw) between the ribs. It attacks suddenly, ferociously, mercilessly, as the crocodile does.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That is a good point. Perhaps Sudden Strike or Skirmish would be more appropriate?
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

9. - Top - End - #1359

Daemon

And now I'm back! From outer space!
    Yeah, I lost track of this thread after version 3 due to my own long absence. But I'd like to contribute some more, so...

Makiru
    Garngath

The guidelines say brutes should get Strength bonuses and 3/4 BAB, and this monster I think qualifies as a brute, so I say you made the right decision on the BAB.
    Divine Mending: Maybe make it 1/2 HD at 4th level and then improve to 3/4 at 12th or something? Fast healing 3 at 4th level's pretty good.
    Crystal Horn 2: Have you heard of a d3? It's a non-existent die made by rolling a d6 and treating 1-2 as 1, 3-4 as 2 and 5-6 as 3. Might be quite appropriate for this ability.
    Plane Shift: Maybe make it 1/5 HD or something? That seems to be the standard approach to SLAs.

Otherwise, I do like it. Nice progression with the Prismatic Spray.

I hope that was right/helpful.

Hyudra: I like the Frostwind Virago. It gives me shivers If you'd like, I can try and make more comments later, but just now there's a wee bit too much text for me.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2011-03-19 at 04:21 PM.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1360

@ Cogidubnus:

Thanks for the feedback on the Frostwind Virago.

Re: your PM, I can't recall what CR (or what book) the Brass Golem is found in, but given you've already got two finished monsters on the list, I can't think of a compelling reason why you couldn't post it & put it through the process.

At some point though, I'd like to get back to the Arrow Demon. A few minor tweaks, changing it from full BAB + Str bonuses, maybe adding in an active ability in the place of something passive, to make it a little more dynamic to play.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-19 at 04:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1361

Daemon

Brass Golem

Monster Class
    Source of Original Monster: MMII.

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: D10

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
    Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | Built With Purpose, Brass Golem Body, Solid Brass, Hunterís Weapon, +1 Str, +1 Wis

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | Tracker, Scent, Adaptation, Str +1

3rd|
    +2
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    |
    +1
    | Toughened Alloys, Resilience, Str +1

4th|
    +3
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    | Magic Resistance, Made for the Hunt, Str +1

5th|
    +3
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    | Growth, Continued Adaptation Str +1,

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    | Maze, Know Thy Enemy, Str +1, +1 Wis

7th|
    +5
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    | Goring Charge, Improved Adaptation, Str +1

8th|
    +6
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    | Play Theseus, Sheer Force, Str +1

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Re-forged Purpose, Str +1

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Labyrinthine Home, Instrument of Destruction, Str +1
    [/table]

Skill Points: (2 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level.
    Class Skills: The Brass Golemís class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Survival (Wis).

Proficiencies: The Brass Golem gains proficiency with its own natural weapons, simple and martial weapons, but no forms of armour or shields.

Built With Purpose: All Brass Golems are built with a purpose. The Brass Golem has managed to shake off its, but it is still very single-minded. At 1st level, choose a single skill. It gains a +1 to all checks with this skill, but a -2 to one other skill.

Brass Golem Body: The Brass Golem loses all racial modifiers and receives the Construct type (which grants darkvision 60'), medium size, 30 ft. land speed, and a natural slam attack dealing 1d8+1.5x strength modifier damage.

The Brass Golem has all the characteristics of the construct type (which have been changed from the normal construct type, so it is highly advisable the below is read):
    Spoiler
    Show

• No Constitution score.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, ability damage, fatigue or exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Cannot heal damage on its own, although it can be healed.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    • Never being alive to begin with, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected. It can only be revived by a wish, limited wish, miracle, or by reconstructing the Brass Golem's body (requiring 1,000 pounds of brass- or the golem's previous body-, 2,500 gp worth of rare substances, and a DC 16 weapon-smithing or armour-smithing check) and then a reincarnate spell, which will always put the golem's soul into the new effigy.
    • Constructs do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

The Brass Golem gains natural armour bonus equal to his strength modifier. This natural armour bonus increases by 1 when the golem's size increases.
    The Golem also gains +1 HP per HD. This bonus increases to +2 at 10 HD, +3 at 15 HD and+4 at 20 HD. The hp increases are retroactive.
    The Brass Golem also has an electricity vulnerability, suffering +50% electricity damage from electric attacks. Magical
    fire damage heals the Brass golem 1 point of health per 3 damage it would normally do. An Brass golem is otherwise immune to fire.

Solid Brass: From 1st level, the Golemís solid metal body helps to protect it, providing an armour bonus equal to 2 + 1/3 HD. This armour may be enchanted, but more armour may not be worn over the top.

Hunterís Weapon (Su): From 1st level, the Golem can form a weapon of its choice that it is capable of wielding from its body as a full-round action. This weapon may be enchanted, and doing so costs the same amount as enchanting a normal weapon. Should this weapon ever be lost (but not broken or disjoined), then after 24 hours its essence melts back into the flow of magic to rejoin its Golem creator and is available to be formed again.
    The Golem can form one Hunter's Weapon per 24 hours, but the weapon loses its edge when wielded by anyone other than the Golem and becomes useless.

Ability Score Increases: The Brass Golem gets a +1 bonus to its Wisdom score at 1st and 6th levels (+2 overall) to represent its artificial animal cunning.
    It also gains a +1 bonus to Strength at every level after 1st (total +9).

Tracker: At 2nd level, the Brass Golem gains Track as a bonus feat. In addition, it gains a bonus to Survival checks to track enemies equal to Ĺ its HD.

Scent: At 2nd level, The Brass Golem gains the Scent ability, allowing it to track enemies by smell and detect the presence of creatures within 30ft. (need to link to SRD).

Adaptation: The Golemís time among mortals and thinking for itself has allowed it to develop its own unique abilities. At 2nd level, choose a special ability from the list below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aluminium Alloy: The Golem's brass is alloyed with aluminium, making it stronger. The Golem's armour bonus from Solid Brass is increased to +1/2 HD.
    Preservative Layer: The Golem's brass body becomes covered with a transparent layer of oil, which feels like brass. Choose an energy type. The Golem gains energy resistance equal to half its HD against that energy type. If electricity is chosen, the Brass Golem's vulnerability is instead removed. This ability may be taken multiple times for different energy types.
    Misleading: The Golem is an expert at tricking enemies. Gain Hypnotic Pattern as an SLA 1/HD/day. Gain Bluff as a class skill and a bonus to Bluff checks equal to 1/2 HD.

Toughened Alloys: From 3rd level, the Brass Golem gains DR/Adamantium equal to half its HD.

Resilience: At 3rd level, choose a save. The Golem receives a bonus to this save equal to its Wisdom modifier.

Magic Resistance: At 4th level, The Golem gains SR 11+HD

Made for the Hunt: From 4th level, as a free action once per turn, the Brass Golem may dedicate one creature as his hunted target. To designate his hunted target, the Golem must either be able to see them, have a piece of their hair, clothing or equipment, or know them well enough to recognise them on sight.
    The Brass Golem may only have one hunted target at a time, and once a Golem selects a hunted target during an encounter, he cannot change it during that encounter until his target is defeated.. Against his hunted target, the Brass Golem gains a bonus to Survival checks made to track it equal to his HD. In addition, he may move double his normal move allowance whenever he moves towards his hunted target.
    If the Brass Golem succeeds on a melee attack against his hunted target, they must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 +1/2 HD + Wis Modifier) or be sickened for one round. A hunted target that passes its save cannot be affected this round.

Growth: At 5th level, the Golem grows to Large size, as does its slam attack and Hunter's Weapon

Continued Adaptation: At 5th level, the Golem chooses one ability from the following:
    Spoiler
    Show

Life-Leeching strike: The Golem's attacks now drain the life from its foes. Once per day per 5HD, when the Golem hits a target with an attack, it may choose to inflict 1d4 negative levels as well. These negative levels fade after 24 hours and may not result in permanent level loss.
    Linked Weapon: The Golem becomes more attuned to its Hunter's Weapon, which gains a +1 enhancement bonus for every 4 HD it have, as though affected by a permanent Greater Magic Weapon with a CL equal to its HD. This enhancement bonus does not count towards the total enhancement bonus of its weapon when determining the cost to add enhancements to it.
    Glamour of Brass: The Brass Golem can intensify the reflections on its own body, or place them upon another creature. It gains Shield of Faith as an SLA 1/day per 3 HD, and Blur as an SLA 1/day per 4 HD, with a CL equal to its HD.

Know Thy Enemy: At 6th level, the Brass Golem's attacks against its hunted target improve. If a hunted target fails its save when hit by a Brass Golem's attack, it is staggered and sickened for one round, and is sickened even if it succeeds on the save.

Maze: At 6th level, the Golem gains the ability to cast Maze as a SLA once/5 HD/day. Unlike normal Maze, this SLA allows a Will save (DC = 10+1/2HD+Wis modifier), and the target gets a +2 bonus on the save. The Golem cannot currently enter the maze to track its target, but will be able to at 8th level.

Juggernaught Charge:
    At 7th level, the Golem is an expert at charging, using the weight of its metal body to power into its attack. To use this, make a charge attack. This attack deals damage as though it were one size larger, in addition to the standard benefits of a charge.

Improved Adaptation: At 7th level, the Golem continue to develop its abilities. Choose one of the following special abilities, or two from the Adaptation and Continued Adaptation abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destructive Build: The Golem refocuses some of the energy powering it to its limbs, refining the brass muscles there. Add an additional 0.5x the Golem's strength modifier to damage with all melee weapons and composite bows.
    Molten Core: The Golem's body is powered from inside by a core of molten metal. Increase its speed by 10ft. In addition, deal 1d6 extra fire damage with its slam and Hunterís Weapon, and an additional 1d6 fire damage for every 4 HD.
    Perfect Edge: The Golem's brass can become razor sharp at a moment's notice, making it especially deadly at the moment it attacks. The critical multiplier of the Golem's slam and Hunter's Weapon increases by one (e.g. x3 becomes x4), and its critical threat range increases by one (e.g. 20 becomes 19-20). This stacks with and applies before Keen, Improved Critical, and other similar effects.

Play Theseus (Su): At 8th level, the Golem can now travel between its Maze and its current location as a move action a number of times per day equal to half its HD, although the Maze must still first be conjured with the SLA. This allows it to hunt any prey sent there. It gains an insight bonus to Survival checks made to track opponents in its Maze equal to its HD.

Sheer Force: At 8th level, the Brass Golem is a terrifying beast, capable of simply powering through its opponents by force of weight. Its slam and Hunterís Weapon count as its alignment and Adamantium for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. A True Neutral player may choose an alignment to have his attacks count as, and other neutral golems may choose one alignment instead of neutral to apply.

Re-forged Purpose:At 9th level, the Golem begins to recover some of the magic that first gave it purpose to live, and to focus this against its chosen enemies.
    The Golem gains the Favoured Enemy ability, as a Ranger, and this qualifies him for any prestige classes or feats that require Favoured Enemy. Every 2nd HD after 9 (11, 13 etc.), the Golem gains a new Favoured Enemy and can increase one of its Favoured Enemy bonuses (including the Enemy just selected, if so desired), by 2.

Labyrinthine Home: At 10th level, the Golem may Plane Shift into its labyrinth, bring a number of medium-sized creatures equal to its HD (each size increase doubles the number of creatures a character counts as), with each use of its Play Theseus ability. It may also now bring objects (including food, furniture etc.) with it to decorate its labyrinth and make it more homely. The Maze is now a permanent extra-dimensional space, rather than a conjuration, much like the space inside a Rope Trick. There are no negative effects for bringing other extra-dimensional spaces inside the Maze.
    In addition, targets of the Golem's Maze SLA no longer gain a +2 bonus to the save. At 14 HD, Maze no longer allows a save.

Instrument of Destruction: If the Golem's hunted target fails its save against the Golem's melee attack, it is stunned for one round. It is sickened and staggered even if it succeeds on the save.
    At 16 HD, a hunted target that fails its save is killed outright. The Golem may only use this ability once per day per 6 HD, and chooses when to do so - any other failed saves simply result in the hunted target being stunned. This is a death effect. It is still sickened and staggered if it succeeds on the save.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

The tricky bit with this one was Maze. It's its signature ability, but it's also a very powerful spell. Maybe there should also be a duration reduction in addition to allowing a save? Like 2 rounds/HD or something?
    Reforged Purpose is intentionally more numerous than Favoured Enemy, as Favoured Enemy is often hard to use regularly, which kinda sucks.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixed table, gave a bonus to Bluff with Misleading, allowed more flexibility with Improved Evolution, changed Perfect Edge. Changed Resilience. Reforged Purpose is now Favoured Enemy, but it gets it a fair few times, to make it useful.
    Removed electricity vulnerability, fixed some descriptions, changed Evolution to Adaptation. Added /day to Misleading.
    Added flavour text to abilities.
    Clarified various abilities - Play Theseus, Hunter's Weapon, Perfect Edge.
    Added Built for the Hunt, Know Thy Enemy and Instrument of Destruction.
    These changes and added Continued Adaptation.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2011-03-31 at 02:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

NEVER repost. Just find it linked in the first post.

13. - Top - End - #1363

The Brass Golem, for whatever reason, is not linked on the first page. I think he meant 6-7 threads back? I don't remember seeing it come up.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    NEVER repost. Just find it linked in the first post.
    It's miles back lost somewhere in the third thread and hasn't been linked as unfinished by anyone on here. I used the word doc version.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

You said 6-7 pages. So I assumed in this thread, but if it's THREADS, it's understandable.

16. - Top - End - #1366

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    You said 6-7 pages. So I assumed in this thread, but if it's THREADS, it's understandable.
    That was an ANCIENT line from the original post. Too much copy-pasta.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Orc in the Playground

So, after making the changes Hyudra commented on in the last review of the Justice Archon, I noticed that the base creature has spell resistance, while the class does not.

While I do want to include it, I don't think I should just add it as it would upset the balance that I've already had to work a bit to improve.

Instead, what to you folks think would be an acceptable portion of the class (read shared fate, as it seems to have the most overlap so reducing the ability for the adition of spell resistance is likely to have the least overall effect) to decrease in order to allow for spell resistance. I would be adding it into the Archon's Wards ability gained at third level.

EDIT: Quick Comment on the Brass Golem in order to fit formatting conventions:
    • Remove the text above the creatures name, while it may make sense for a post it'll eventually detract from the entry as things get worked on.
    • Increase the size of the monster's name to 4
    • Include the source of the monster (MMII, Pg 116)
    • Remove the text after the comments spoiler completely instead of striking it out, similar reasons as the removal of the text at the beginning of the post.
    Last edited by Zemro; 2011-03-19 at 07:06 PM.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

18. - Top - End - #1368

Brass Golem

• First off, clean up the post of anything not relevant specifically to the monster class. That means the 'feel free to help me improve it', 'I'm done changes', 'this is what I get for too much copy pasta', etc.
    • Similarly, quote is out of place, especially being from non-fantasy material.
    • Picture isn't great. It's small, and it's photorealistic where 98% of the ones in this thread aren't. What I found with 30 seconds of searching: http://i54.tinypic.com/23rk9w9.jpg - You could probably find better, too.
    • Strongly recommend using the template found on the FAQ/guidelines page for your creature. It doesn't adhere to convention and it's hard to read.
    • Don't separate abilities by level - at the very least, scrap it before you're done the monster.
    • When you describe an ability, detail when it's gained. Like, "At third level, the Brass Golem gains the ability to ____"
    • Languages?
    • We try to avoid giving creatures explicit vulnerabilities. Electricity vulnerability should at least be paired with some notable benefit.
    • Evolution as an ability name is ill fit. That's... not what evolution means. Rename?
    • You change from "The Brass Golem's..." to "Your..." and back again throughout. Pick one and be consistent.
    • Flavor text for the evolution abilities would be good.
    • Misleading: You gain Hypnotic Pattern... 1/HD? Per day? Per hour? Per round?
    • Solid Brass: That's... a lot of armor bonus. So at 6HD, with a +8 Str mod, you've got... +12 AC from racial benefits. Couple that with Dex mod and you're looking at 24 to 25 AC. While that may not seem that extreme (enemies needing perhaps a 12 or higher to hit, give or take depending on gear & BAB), you can bump it further with stuff like protection from evil, bracers of armor, etc.
    • I have to ask: Why a headbutt attack? Not every brass golem is styled after the Minotaur. Make it a slam?

And gotta stop for now. Leaving it at that.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I changed the tables to read better (aka: got rid of most of the "disregard this number" entries) and added a new ability to boost fast healing and DR.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

20. - Top - End - #1370

Daemon

Bolded my replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Brass Golem

• First off, clean up the post of anything not relevant specifically to the monster class. That means the 'feel free to help me improve it', 'I'm done changes', 'this is what I get for too much copy pasta', etc.
      Done
    • Similarly, quote is out of place, especially being from non-fantasy material.
      Removed.
    • Picture isn't great. It's small, and it's photorealistic where 98% of the ones in this thread aren't. What I found with 30 seconds of searching: http://i54.tinypic.com/23rk9w9.jpg - You could probably find better, too.
      Best I could find, most of the brass golem pictures I could see where minis.
    • Strongly recommend using the template found on the FAQ/guidelines page for your creature. It doesn't adhere to convention and it's hard to read.
      Will do this later, don't have time right now.
    • Don't separate abilities by level - at the very least, scrap it before you're done the monster.
      Fixed.
    • When you describe an ability, detail when it's gained. Like, "At third level, the Brass Golem gains the ability to ____"
      Done.
    • Languages?
      Common, couldn't think why it would have bonus languages.
    • We try to avoid giving creatures explicit vulnerabilities. Electricity vulnerability should at least be paired with some notable benefit.
      Removed it for now, though I copied it from the Iron Golem to begin with.
    • Evolution as an ability name is ill fit. That's... not what evolution means. Rename?
      It's now adaptation.
    • You change from "The Brass Golem's..." to "Your..." and back again throughout. Pick one and be consistent.
      Did my best to change them all, tell me if I missed any.
    • Flavor text for the evolution abilities would be good.
      Will get round to soon.
    • Misleading: You gain Hypnotic Pattern... 1/HD? Per day? Per hour? Per round?
      /day, added in.
    • Solid Brass: That's... a lot of armor bonus. So at 6HD, with a +8 Str mod, you've got... +12 AC from racial benefits. Couple that with Dex mod and you're looking at 24 to 25 AC. While that may not seem that extreme (enemies needing perhaps a 12 or higher to hit, give or take depending on gear & BAB), you can bump it further with stuff like protection from evil, bracers of armor, etc.
      It's an armour bonus - it doesn't stack with Bracers of Armour or Mage Armour. It's simply to replace normal armour, which doesn't make sense for a metal golem. It's not as tough as the Iron Golem's similar ability.
    • I have to ask: Why a headbutt attack? Not every brass golem is styled after the Minotaur. Make it a slam?

Changed to a slam attack for now, but in that case I need a suggestion fro how to replace Goring Charge.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2011-03-20 at 11:28 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1371

On bonus feats: I think they are OK if they are always the last option among a host of unique and attractive abilities. Similar to how the PHB rogue has special abilities it can gain, but if it chooses to it can just gain a bonus feat instead of a special ability.

I agree that JUST "Bonus feat" is lazy and doesn't fit a racial class that well, but it's a FACT that pretty much every class but fighter is feat-starved and so pretty much every CHARACTER is feat-starved. Putting in that back door so players can choose to customize their monster and enhance their build feels good to me, as long as you give them other options and try to make those options attractive. In effect, you give them the option of gaining a feat so that you challenge yourself to offer them something better.

In the context of the Brass Golem for example, you might build a class that offers a very strong feature coupled with a vulnerability. The vulnerability allows you to make the feature particularly strong, so the feature is attractive, but maybe the player cannot reconcile that vulnerability with their preferred character, so they have the option of just grabbing a feat instead. This way "Play what you enjoy/want to play" is an option at every step, even if what you want to play is a little weaker crunch-wise.

Anyway, I just wanted to speak on the matter. Bonus feats are not pure "bad" from a perspective of creativity/original homebrew, but JUST bonus feats IS lazy and short in the creativity department.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Goblin

Razor Boar
    March 20
    • Separated Resilience into 3 abilities.
    • Added mounting to Wrench
    Chuul
    March 20
    • Secondary traits now dazes, not stuns.
    Changes made. Announcing vague long term plans to do Kraken.

23. - Top - End - #1373

I'd pondered doing Kraken myself, but lacked inspiration as far as making it viable in campaigns on land, if such is even desirable/doable. It's also a very back-loaded creature, with SLAs and the like that kind of emphasize higher level play (control weather, control winds). That's a lot of levels to fill.

Any particular ideas on how you'd go about it?

24. - Top - End - #1374

Well it has NINE natural weapons, EIGHT of which are in sets, so parsing that out would be a big part of the lower levels for me if I did it. 9 attacks = awesome.

25. - Top - End - #1375

Goblin

Well, it's more intended for campaigns where most action will take place within a couple miles of ocean, not for land based campaigns. That being said, I will give it some stuff, for starters it'll be able to hold it's breath at least a minute/HD to give it some near land accessibility, and it'll have at least the speeds of an Octo-Squid by the time it's done growing instead of that ridiculous 20 ft. A few levels in it'll get something called "Sea Lord's Chariot" (Or something similar) letting it call up a constantly cresting wave to ride around in as long as it's within a few miles of shore. It'll have a number of melee battlefield control powers, stuff like the purple worm's flexible. And I could probably also give it limited versions of some of its more powerful spells, maybe a version of control weather with a shorter duration and longer effect delay or a version of control winds with caps on what sort of wind it can make.

Yeah, tentacles are definitely going to be staggered
    Last edited by Saidoro; 2011-03-20 at 02:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1376

One option you could explore, and it would require the approval of the council because it would be two monsters in one class, is to merge the Kraken and the Crawling Apocalypse (Sandstorm) and make it a choice players make at the first level. Where the abilities of the creatures are equal, they could just be a feature of the class gained at the same levels, and where they are different they would be the product of the players taking a different path.

I only mention it because the idea of a Kraken doing anything on land is a little weird, but the idea of land v. water build being a choice makes a lot of sense in my head. Of course it breaks a lot of rules too, so like I said it would require special approval, and it may be an idea that only ever made sense in my head.

27. - Top - End - #1377

Goblin

I don't have sandstorm, so I can't really judge how well the abilities of the two creatures compare, nor would I be able to make stats for the crawling apocalypse even if I could. That being said, if they're fairly comparable and similarly flavored and I get approval from the council, I'd be willing to build the kraken half of the class and work with someone else to put together the apocalypse half.
    I've scrapped the kraken's base land speed and instead implemented something a bit more flavorful. In short, it'll be able to use its tentacle attacks to move 5 ft instead of attacking in a full attack if it wants to.

In unrelated news, I just realized that squidopus sounds better than octo-squid. Live and learn, I guess.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, I just realized that the Troll class is missing Craft and Profession from it's skill list. I thought everything was supposed to have those two skills.

29. - Top - End - #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Scio View Post
    Hey, I just realized that the Troll class is missing Craft and Profession from it's skill list. I thought everything was supposed to have those two skills.
    Not quite. If you think about it, those skills reflect the kind of skills one picks up living in a civilized society. Profession (Farmer), for example, reflects your background as a farmer, your ability to grow crops and so on. It doesn't fit for a Griffon, for example, to be able to pick up those general day-to-day skills.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Pixie in the Playground

While it wouldn't work for Griffins an such, I don't see why my Troll can't take Profession (Lawyer). Yes, I have in fact statted up a Troll lawyer PC.
    Last edited by Scio; 2011-03-20 at 10:12 PM.