New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default [4e] Self-Interaction with Blast Powers.

Is it possible, with a blast power of lets say, blast 3, to attack from one of your character corners and then have the rest of the power overlap youself?

Making it look a little something like this.

x = you

# = Target areas

x/# # #

# # #

# # #

If so, then not only can it help you hit targets surrounding you, but also be used to trigger certain feats/powers. Like, for a dragonborn sorcerer, Ancient Soul for nigh infinite dragon breaths.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Self-Interaction with Blast Powers.

While I don't have access to my books currently to look up the answer to your question, I can give an answer as to why your idea will not work: close attacks never hurt the caster. There are ways of throwing close attacks to allow them to "hit" the caster, but the caster is immune to their own close attacks. Utilizing Ancient Soul in this way is not possible for this reason.

I'd cite the pages and what-not, but I'm afb.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coy View Post
    Is it possible, with a blast power of lets say, blast 3, to attack from one of your character corners and then have the rest of the power overlap youself?
    No. The rules for blasts in the PHB explicitly do not allow this.

If you need infinite dragon breath cheese, you should use Hurl Breath.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

So the caster themself does not count as a creature when related to their own spells? Source that when you get the chance.

But as far as i can see, there is nothing in blast shape rules that doesnt allow this as a legal target area, with you included.

Mind you, you would have to hit yourself with the power if you wanted to trigger anything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coy View Post
    So the caster themself does not count as a creature when related to their own spells?
    No, I never said that. The rule is that a close blast is placed adjacent to the caster, not on top of the caster. That is explained in the PHB1.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I found it for close bursts. Page 272, PHB1, under Areas of Effect.

"Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you."

As Kurald said, Close Blasts can't be placed on the caster. There are ways of throwing Close Bursts, but you specifically exclude yourself as per the rules cited above.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Try to describe how the PC is breathing fire onto himself and the area he's attacking. Either he's holding his arms up in front of his mouth (which is probably not sufficient to count as a hit) or he's doing some interesting contortions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The above posters are correct. You'd need Hurl Breath to turn your dragon breath into an Area attack before you could ever include yourself in it.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In addition, the Ancient Soul infinite Breath loop requires you to take damage from the element (after resistance is applied)... and since your Breath is now an Arcane attack power (a benefit from Ancient Soul), it ignores your own resistance, and you add your Draconic Power to the damage roll. Lucky you.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-01-11 at 12:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Reach would let you hit yourself with close blasts, if you make the blast arcane.