New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hexblade PrC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Hexblade PrC

What good prestige classes are there for a hexblade/rogue to think about entering? (if any)

was thinking havoc mage, but have been recommended to steer clear of that.

Would give more specific character info, but im just interested generally atm before considering specifically for my character. I can't think of many at all that add something interesting and relevant to hexblade.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hexblade PrC

Hexblade is a bit awkward. None of its class features are really worth building a PrC on, even its casting, unless you're homebrewing quite substantially. The whole result kind of works, but there isn't really any significant strength that's easily built on. Rogue is better, and various traditional Rogue PrCs should do you just fine.

The other option is just to go off and take a PrC that stands on its own merit and doesn't interact much with your base classes. Chameleon is the one that comes to mind, but there's a number in every book. A quick scan of Complete Adventurer alone comes up with Animal Lord, Dread Pirate, Exemplar, Spymaster, Streetfighter, and Vigilate. These are ones that will tend to (not always, but often) define you by the PrC rather than by your entry classes. Choosing something like this, and jumping into it headfirst, can be a good way to make your character more interesting.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3

So presumably you're doing Rogue 2/Hexblade 3 or 4 for Evasion and Mettle with good Saves vs spells. Correct? If that's the case, then Blackguard or Paladin of Tyranny is good for 3-4 levels. It will further improve your Saves, give you Rebuke Undead to fuel a divine/domain feat, and give you another debuff effect.

Also, be sure to buy a Tabard of Valor. When reduced to 50% hit points or less, you gain Mettle. If you already have Mettle, you gain Improved Mettle, which works just like Improved Evasion, but for Will and Fort Saves. This is the only source of Improved Mettle in the game. 16,000 gp, Complete Champion pg 142.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    So presumably you're doing Rogue 2/Hexblade 3 or 4 for Evasion and Mettle with good Saves vs spells. Correct? If that's the case, then Blackguard or Paladin of Tyranny is good for 3-4 levels. It will further improve your Saves, give you Rebuke Undead to fuel a divine/domain feat, and give you another debuff effect.
    A Rogue 4/Hexblade 6, last time we knew.

I wouldn't PrC out of Hexblade, at least not right away. You're one level away from Greater Hexblade's Curse, which is pretty nifty. After that, uh... if you want to multiclass, you're probably looking at something that builds on Charisma (like Paladin of Tyranny, indeed), ToB classes, or semi-independent PrCs. There isn't much you can do to milk a Rogue/Hexblade synergy.

I'd take a good, solid read through the last thread before thinking more about PrCs. There are lots of things that can make your character better, but PrCs are not necessarily the easiest thing you can do when it comes to that.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I always liked Occult Slayer on a Hexblade build.
    Advocate for S.U.P.E.R.!
    (Society for Undersized People Earning Respect)

Initiate Ref for the Arena! I'm Participating!

Monkey Eating a Sandwich Avatar courtesy of Akrim.elf... Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Hexblades can learn Phantom Steed, so you could go into Knight Phantom (Five Nations), full BAB, 9/10 casting, and a few cool abilities like floating and the ability to gain the briliant energy quality for your weapon.

You can also get into the Fiend Blooded class(Heroes of Horror). It gives spontaneous casters addtional spells known and some ability score boosts.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Dread Witch (HoH) is a fun addition to a Hexblade that's not built just for melee.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    A Rogue 4/Hexblade 6, last time we knew.

I wouldn't PrC out of Hexblade, at least not right away. You're one level away from Greater Hexblade's Curse, which is pretty nifty. After that, uh... if you want to multiclass, you're probably looking at something that builds on Charisma (like Paladin of Tyranny, indeed), ToB classes, or semi-independent PrCs. There isn't much you can do to milk a Rogue/Hexblade synergy.

I'd take a good, solid read through the last thread before thinking more about PrCs. There are lots of things that can make your character better, but PrCs are not necessarily the easiest thing you can do when it comes to that.
    yeah rogue 4/hexblade 6 - but just thinking generallyreally, i'm going to continue with both rogue and hexblade - boost the cursing and generally getting sneakier.
    as i said in the first post, i couldnt think of any prc that would work particiular well to back up hexblade. i'd forgotten about the paladin of tyranny and stuff like that though - that would be a nice boost to the curse and general debuffing

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Its a bit late, but you should actually have ALL of the prereqs you need to get into Suel Arcanamach, except maybe the language skill, which you can retrain if allowed. Suel Arcanamach is kinda fun because it adds a bunch of really gishy spells to your spell list. Take Versatile Spellcaster at 12 and you can either use Suel slots for Hexblade spells or Hexblade slots for Suel spells, as well as burn low level spells for higher level slots. 4 levels is typically the cutoff for Suel levels, and flows perfectly into a level of Spellsword and 5 levels of Abjurant Champion to keep your BAB at 18/20 by level 20.

Make sure you don't take Suel spells with saves, though, as your saves will be pretty saggy. Gishy spells like Blade of Blood, Whirling Blade, and eventually Polymorph or Bite of the Werewolf are all great choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I guess it depends what you want out of Hexblade. Why did you go Hexblade in the first place? If it was just for the +CHA to saves, you've got that already and you're good to go. If you care about Hexblade's Curse, to my knowledge no PrC actually advances that, so at best you'll have to find something that gives you a similar ability. If you care about the casting, there are plenty of PrCs that advance casting, some of which are more melee-friendly than others.

So it really comes down to what you were hoping to get out of Hexblade, and what matters to you going forward.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rye0006 View Post
    What good prestige classes are there for a hexblade/rogue to think about entering? (if any)

was thinking havoc mage, but have been recommended to steer clear of that.

Would give more specific character info, but im just interested generally atm before considering specifically for my character. I can't think of many at all that add something interesting and relevant to hexblade.
    Dragon Disciple. You're at a good spot for it, and you can simply climb the ladder, garnering Stat boosts and bonus spells as you go. It's not an uber optimized build by any means, but it will make you fairly stout in melee.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.