New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Size and ToB

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Size and ToB

This may well be answered in ToB, but I'm away from the book right now and curious.

How does Large (or larger) size interact with maneuvers? If I give a Frost Giant a couple maneuvers, does he do human-scale damage with them, or does he do more because he's big?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Size and ToB

Only his weapon damage will improve and not the damage from the maneuvers themselves, unless otherwise stated.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I don't think maneuver damage scales with size. I don't have access to the book right now, but I don't recall there being any disadvantages or advantages to being larger or smaller than Medium, except with a few maneuvers like the Setting Sun throws.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Foehammer does +2d6 whether you are a pixie or a titan. The only thing that changes is base weapon damage and other modifiers such as strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Halflings don't do less damage with maneuvers than dwarves do, and giants don't do any more than either of them. It's like sneak attack damage: it's just there, independent of size.

Of course, the giant is likely to have a better STR bonus, and size will come into play any time that there's normal weapon damage involved, but straight extra damage from maneuvers doesn't care about size. And honestly, that's a good thing . . . I don't want a gnomish crusader to be inherently drastically limited (or at least a step behind in damage) compared to a human one.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Although he can still take advantage of his size with Setting Sun's trip-based maneuvers and probably some bullrush or grapple maneuvers elsewhere.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

As a side note, this is one of the reasons why a Hengeyokai or Tibbit (or any sufficiently small) Tome of Battle build with Confound the Big Folk is so awesome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Although he can still take advantage of his size with Setting Sun's trip-based maneuvers and probably some bullrush or grapple maneuvers elsewhere.
    There are also some maneuvers that multiply your damage (Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blades), which would obviously work just dandy.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.