New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Leadership for an Ooze?

Title says it all. If Leadership isn't the way to go, is there something else that allows me an Ooze "cohort"? No dips or PrCs.

Specifically, I'm looking to have a Living Spell for some form of healing spell.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Leadership for an Ooze?

Quote Originally Posted by Oudthrinn View Post
    Title says it all. If Leadership isn't the way to go, is there something else that allows me an Ooze "cohort"? No dips or PrCs.

Specifically, I'm looking to have a Living Spell for some form of healing spell.
    Sounds cheezy. I wouldn't allow it as a DM. If you can convince your DM to allow it, then you two should figure it out.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2011-01-11 at 05:11 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You want the Spell Sovereign, a PrC from Dragon Magazine #357 that gets Living Spells as familiars.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    You want the Spell Sovereign, a PrC from Dragon Magazine #357 that gets Living Spells as familiars.
    Again, want to stay away from PrCs. Also, yes. I know it's cheezy. Never said it was for a campaign, just wanted to know if there was anything I didn't know of that could allow it by what's already been printed by WoTC (IE no dragon or dungeon magazine).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Again, want to stay away from PrCs. Also, yes. I know it's cheezy. Never said it was for a campaign, just wanted to know if there was anything I didn't know of that could allow it by what's already been printed by WoTC (IE no dragon or dungeon magazine).
    There's no so-called "legitimate" way to do it, so I gave you the only working method.

The only other way I know of to get there is to use Ooze Puppet (SpC) to just hijack one and tool around with him, but it's non-permanent. If you can get Ooze Puppet at-will, that works.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

As a DM, I'd probably say "You want an Ooze cohort? Really? Sure, spend a feat on it."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    There's no so-called "legitimate" way to do it, so I gave you the only working method.

The only other way I know of to get there is to use Ooze Puppet (SpC) to just hijack one and tool around with him, but it's non-permanent. If you can get Ooze Puppet at-will, that works.
    I like the Ooze Puppet idea, will look further into that later. Is it possible to summon a living spell?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My math on this is probably in error, but a wondrous item of 1/day ooze puppet should be 25,920 gp, no?

9. - Top - End - #9

I would note that the section under leadership specifies that your cohort can be a monster of some kind with the GM permission and tells you how to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    My math on this is probably in error, but a wondrous item of 1/day ooze puppet should be 25,920 gp, no?
    Actually, even better a wondrous item could permanently keep an ooze enslaved as long as it's "in use" for 66,000gp (132,000gp if not a slot item). One per day use would actually be 23,760gp, but unless you're not worried about Disjunction then it could be wasted money.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    I would note that the section under leadership specifies that your cohort can be a monster of some kind with the GM permission and tells you how to make it work.
    I've heard mixed responses from this, one such response being that a creature can only be a cohort if it has a level adjustment (IE if it's level adjustment section only has a dash, it's not applicable). Nobody who's said that can give me any correlating evidence to their claim, meaning you would indeed be correct.

And all this is, again, aside from the fact that no sane GM should ever let this happen without good justification or a player that s/he feels comfortable in not abusing it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Slime domain gives you the ability to rebuke/command oozes, so it would let you take control of an ooze permanently if you had a good enough turning level.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Slime domain gives you the ability to rebuke/command oozes, so it would let you take control of an ooze permanently if you had a good enough turning level.
    You can grab the domain granted power with a feat too, but you'll have to work to boost that turning level.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I might be wrong, since I'm AFB, but doesn't the Rage Walker (ToB) give you something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the Ooze Puppet idea, will look further into that later. Is it possible to summon a living spell?
    The only way I know to summon a Living Spell is to be a Mistling (Eberron: Forge of War), but that requires you to be Fey. The Living Spell ability of Mistlings basically turns the spell-like abilities (that the template also grants) into Living Spells.

It also turns you into an insane, gibbering mockery of your former fey glory.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    As a DM, I'd probably say "You want an Ooze cohort? Really? Sure, spend a feat on it."
    Yeah...maybe a modification of the Wild Cohort feat.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Why do you want an ooze cohort? They have horrendous will saves and move really slowly... every time you travel overland you'll be limited by the ooze's speed. And they're mindless, so it's not like you could justify it as a pet and say, "Hey, it followed me home, can I keep it?"

(Maybe if you told us why you want an ooze as a cohort?...)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Why do you want an ooze cohort? They have horrendous will saves and move really slowly... every time you travel overland you'll be limited by the ooze's speed. And they're mindless, so it's not like you could justify it as a pet and say, "Hey, it followed me home, can I keep it?"

It is in the OP.

Is there an awaken spell for oozes? Maybe he can go for dominate on an awaken living spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post

He already mentioned it, it's so he can have a living spell of a healing spell to help his group.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    And then the ooze eats you in your sleep.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Well, what resources do you have available? What's your Race/Class combo, how many feats do you have available to spend, how much available GP/XP do you have to burn on this, that sort of thing.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Okay, that's it, I need to get some sleep... Think I just made myself look really silly.

(Why not just get a wand of cure light, though?)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You could find a ring of ooze riding ...

Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    And then the ooze eats you in your sleep.
    What a slimy DM!

Hrm, I feel like there should be more ways to get oozes as permanent pets. Thrall of Jubilex can summon a few, but not Living Spells.

What if you had a cohort (or...a pet mouse, or whatever), and then cast Polymorph Any Object on it and turned it into a Living Spell?
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you cant get Ooze pets, why do I remember an Ooze Sadle from somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

If your player ever asks for an ooze cohort, just make sure that he doesn't intend to use the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    It's a ring... I think it's Arms and Equipment Guide, but I'm not sure. Basically a ring that lets you ride safely inside a gelatinous cube.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    If your player ever asks for an ooze cohort, just make sure that he doesn't intend to use the Book of Erotic Fantasy.
    Only worthwhile part of that book ...

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I think that was in the 3.0 supplement Arms and Equipment Guidebook. It's the same one that had swords with mercury in the middle of them for extra impact power.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You could find a ring of ooze riding ...
    This was it.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!