New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Havoc Mage

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Havoc Mage

Well, I was reading through my Miniature's Handbook (Oh, Warhulk, will you ever get less ridiculous?) when I spotted the Havoc Mage. What does the Playground think of this? With 3/4 BAB and an interesting class feature, does this make a nice class for a Gishy guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Havoc Mage

Battlecast, as written, seems to allow only one attack in conjunction with casting a spell, which doesn't seem so hot. Medium BAB and two caster levels lost are just bad - with 4 BAB you can qualify for a spellsword (with proficiencies, true) for the level required to reach 5 BAB and Abjurant Champion, without losing caster levels.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Havoc Mage

Basically what Greenish said. The only time you should be losing a single caster level is when you get something like what Malconvoker throws your way. Two is okay with something like Jade Phoenix Mage and in general being a solid gish, but two lost levels over 5 prestige class levels compared to, effectively 18 and 10 above above? Just not worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.