New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

biggrin So I finally betrayed my party

After almost 2 years and 14 levels my sorcerer finally betrayed the party. I didn't attack them or anything I just made them realize I was the BBEG the entire time.

story spoilered due to size
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was playing a sorcerer who became obsessed his heritage. I spent tons of money to find out who my draconic ancestor was. I then paid someone to call the dragons soul so I could speak to it. It was an ancient white named Talistraillet. After speaking with the spirit I started my quest to build an army and bring my ancestor back to life. She also tasked me with gathering some of her items like a golden staff that has http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/direWinter.htm on it and made permanent.

I slowly built an army of Kobolds, Humans, and Orcs. They never saw my face due to a mask that cast an perfect illusion of a mature white dragon (one of the items that I was tasked to get).

But finally last night I was changed by a series of wish spells into a mature white and brought my ancestor back with the help of the entire party. I had convinced them that we were bringing back an ancient silver that had fought off the dragon was "building an army and planning to attack the homeland of the party". Me and my mistress then left to go command our army. I also told them they were willing to join us and be generals but they declined.

So what do you think? I am still talking with my DM over what I should do now since my sorcerer has now revealed his true colors.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: So I finally betrayed my party

Genius.

Seems to me that you might need to reroll
    Eh, I have no respect for demons. The whole "embodiment of CE" translates to "embodiment of being a psychotic moron who can't stick to a grocery list, let alone a plan".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Proceed to double cross mistress and rejoin with your party and new army, win at life forever

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

What all BBEG's do; conquer the world. With that staff your goal should be something like 'bring eternal winter to the world so that the race of white dragons can rule unopposed, with me as their leader.' Involve your party somehow, so they don't feel left out. Perhaps you have some honor left, and you let them escape your clutches, and now they lead the resistance against you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Galsiah View Post
    Proceed to double cross mistress and rejoin with your party and new army, win at life forever
    This. Dont want to break the party. If was in your group, I'd quit if this sort of thing happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #6

Sounds pretty fun. Unfortunately unless the DM (and the rest of the party) is okay with you working against them from here on out, you may have to let your sorcerer become an NPC and reroll.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

This marks the end of the campaign, more or less. An awesome end with lots of great stuff. They'll be telling the story for years to come!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Galsiah View Post
    No this character is loyal to his mistress and will probably end up as an NPC

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    This. Dont want to break the party. If was in your group, I'd quit if this sort of thing happened.
    Why? My character has spent at least 50% of his gold since around level 6 (he is 19 now) and most of his free time doing this. I have helped them and even was nice about it asking my mistress to spare them. I like them and would hate to fight against them but my guy has been planning this for a long time. I will most likely reroll and work my damnedest to bring down the monstrosity I have created. The other players are fine with it (or they said they were).

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGirl

Brilliant!

Excellent use of intra-party conflict! Love it.

Good luck on your new character.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Wait..... let me get this right - you tracked down your ancestor and brought her back to life. Okay. I'm cool with that.

Now she's your Mistress? Okay, do I have that right?

Just had to put that out there.

Anyways. Personally, I think it would be awesome to reroll a character to replace the sorcerer and let him be an NPC. How much fun would it be to have a huge spell-battle between you old and new spell-slingers?
    Heck, I might have to plot and plan something like this in the future just for the awesomeness!

Now to assemble a gaming group.....
    What D&D Character would I be?
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful/Good Human Wizard/Sorcerer (2/2)
    Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18
    Hmmm.. Not too shabby. I think I'd do pretty well. Who knows?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DueceEsMachine View Post

Pretty sure it's mistress in the "female form of master" sense, not the... sexual sense.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

yeah.... let's hope so.

I figured that's what he meant, just had to make a joke on the wording.
    What D&D Character would I be?
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful/Good Human Wizard/Sorcerer (2/2)
    Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18
    Hmmm.. Not too shabby. I think I'd do pretty well. Who knows?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DueceEsMachine View Post
    Wait..... let me get this right - you tracked down your ancestor and brought her back to life. Okay. I'm cool with that.

Anyways. Personally, I think it would be awesome to reroll a character to replace the sorcerer and let him be an NPC. How much fun would it be to have a huge spell-battle between you old and new spell-slingers?
    Heck, I might have to plot and plan something like this in the future just for the awesomeness!

Now to assemble a gaming group.....
    Not a mistress in THAT way. I mean it as a female version of master. Even though she is my ancestor from like 2000 years back.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just fair warning.

Since I enjoy playing your standard goody-two shoes in a tin suit, I would have no problem accepting your offer of generaldom and then killing you in your sleep. Of course... coup de graceing a white dragon might be a bit of a problem. You get the idea. I would undermine you as best as I could, so keep an eye out for players coming and accepting your offer after the fact.
    Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons my friend. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

The way to a dwarf's heart is through his liver.

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Santra View Post
    They never saw my face due to a mask that cast an perfect illusion of a mature white dragon (one of the items that I was tasked to get).
    So, your draconic ancestor was an "ancient white dragon" who had a magic mask that cast a perfect illusion of a mature white dragon among her most valuable personal effects?

I think you got scammed by your kobold ancestor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why? My character has spent at least 50% of his gold since around level 6 (he is 19 now) and most of his free time doing this. I have helped them and even was nice about it asking my mistress to spare them. I like them and would hate to fight against them but my guy has been planning this for a long time. I will most likely reroll and work my damnedest to bring down the monstrosity I have created. The other players are fine with it (or they said they were).
    So long as you make a new character I guess. (It's also something I would never alow as a DM, so that might have to do with it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    So, your draconic ancestor was an "ancient white dragon" who had a magic mask that cast a perfect illusion of a mature white dragon among her most valuable personal effects?

You wouldn't want a doppelganger to take the surprise hits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post

actually it was crafted for her half dragon son who was my direct ancestor so he would not be questioned as to his origin. His existance was a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    So long as you make a new character I guess. (It's also something I would never alow as a DM, so that might have to do with it.)
    So just wondering why would you not allow this? I was straitforward with the DM when I made the character this is what his desire was.
    Last edited by Santra; 2011-01-11 at 10:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

This is brilliant, amazing, and I wish more parties did stuff like that. Seriously I'm sick of the whole random group of strangers that work perfectly together with no conflict and the only people to betray the party are NPCs. Everyone is natrually suscpicous of NPCs so it can be pretty obvious when one is evil. In fact some groups have it standard policy to just use repeated detect evils on NPCs. (A nothing found is assumed to be a yes) But those sort of policies and techniques are almost never used on fellow players.

Your character handled that situation realisticly. Had a goal, found some allies to achive that goal, spared said allies when they disagreed with goal due to past friendship and went on to achive goal anyways. Its classic and unexpected. So Kudous once agian.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #20

*stares for a few moments, takes off hat and bows slightly to Santra*

Now that, is good RPing. Long term, internally consistent, and self motivated. I love it.

My personal advice would be to go one of two ways here, either end the campaign completely on a high note and start over (this is a *much* more impressive campaign end than most), or proceed with goals beyond resurrecting your mistress with the party opposing or supporting you according to their own wishes (I'd advise trying to break party solidarity if you do this, even getting one person over to your side would help). Of the two, I would probably advise the previous regrettably since despite the opportunity for an even more awesome plot after this it would depend on your fellow PCs to pull off such a situation and not just you and the DM.

Simply rolling a new character could also work in this situation but would be a waste of such a magnificent accomplishment.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

That sounds like a pretty awesome campaign and I'd love to have played in it. Shame you'll have to reroll after all your hardwork but I expect vanquishing the new BBEG will be pretty rewarding.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So just wondering why would you not allow this? I was straitforward with the DM when I made the character this is what his desire was.
    The fact that you have to ask this is what makes me think it won't go well.

You mention several times that the DM is OK with it. What about the other players? I don't mean their characters, I mean the other players. Did you consult them about it? Does it suit their style? Do they think it's a cool story arc and they're eager to tackle it in a friendly way?

If the answer is no--or, even scarier, if the answer is you never asked them--that's a potential game-ender. With hard feelings. And regrets about their own heroic stories that'll never get finished.

That's why so many here have a bad reaction.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    If the answer is no--or, even scarier, if the answer is you never asked them--that's a potential game-ender. With hard feelings. And regrets about their own heroic stories that'll never get finished.
    This was my immediate worry. You got your uber-cool, 2-years-in-the-making payoff and day in the limelight. Did they get theirs? Or were they all just your supporting characters?

(I mean for the game as a whole, not your dragon scheme.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

This is surely among the awesomest campaigns ever played. You have won DnD.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so I gotta say, when I saw the thread title, I was expecting some silly story of cheap backstabbing, not this devilishly masterful coup de grace. If I were in the group, I personally wouldn't necessarily mind, but that's just my personality type.

I would say that you need to work with the DM to give the rest of the party some sort of heroic stand against your former PC. Maybe they all try to ambush him, potentially perishing or narrowly escaping with their lives, depending on how it goes, and setting the stage for a new campaign where everyone can roll up heroes to kick the BBEG's butt.

I don't think this is problematic, and I don't think this is something that would have nearly as much of an impact if it didn't catch the players by surprise. Just as long as you cover for it.

But I think that, considering how well you pulled this off, you are entitled to bask in that glory to a sizeable degree.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This was my immediate worry. You got your uber-cool, 2-years-in-the-making payoff and day in the limelight. Did they get theirs? Or were they all just your supporting characters?

(I mean for the game as a whole, not your dragon scheme.)
    I don't understand exactly how that supercedes them enjoying themselves... If my character dies heroically does it somehow invalidate the game as well? Or if my fighter has a personal arc? What about if my character dies during a family saving arc?

What exactly about this makes the game unplayable?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #27

HalfOrcPirate

Came to trash you for betraying the party

Stayed because you are awesome.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I don't understand exactly how that supercedes them enjoying themselves... If my character dies heroically does it somehow invalidate the game as well? Or if my fighter has a personal arc? What about if my character dies during a family saving arc?

What exactly about this makes the game unplayable?
    1) Where did you get the word "unplayable" from anything I wrote?

2) "The other players were fine with it (or said they were)" is not exactly the most ringing endorsement for what happened.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    1) Where did you get the word "unplayable" from anything I wrote?

2) "The other players were fine with it (or said they were)" is not exactly the most ringing endorsement for what happened.
    I wasn't attempting to accuse you specifically, I was more referring to what you had quoted (and were agreeing with). And that still doesn't explain to me why they would be not okay with it. What exactly about it would, as the person above stated, make it so the game never gets finished? Why would you quite when one character stops being part of the group?

My post was a series of examples where most people wouldn't stop playing even though they lost a party member, why would it be different? Especially since he:

1. Didn't kill anyone, and thus didn't interfere with their own characterization, and:
    2. Did it to fulfill a deep character role, as opposed to "I betrayed you since I am Chaotic Stupid."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    And that still doesn't explain to me why they would be not okay with it.
    Presumably the other players had visions for their own characters besides "help Santra achieve his destiny." If (a) that is indeed all they wanted or (b) they also had great stories come out of that 2-year-long session then neither I nor anyone else her has anything to worry about.

Which is why my post was a question, rather than an accusation.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy