New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shieldless Shield Bonus

What's the best way to get a Shield bonus to AC if you don't have a shield proficiency?
    I mean I've seen two-weapon defense but that's it.

And I figger for 4000 gold you can make an all day Item of Shield by the DMG's item creation rules, but custom items is custom items and not really a feasible thing to rely on when DM's are involved.

Are there any decent magic items that give such a bonus?

Sources so far
    Spoiler
    Show

- Two weapon defense tree

- Any shield with an armour check penalty of 0 (e.g. Masterwork Buckler)
    --Please note however that the spell failure remains and bucklers are still a detriment to TWF builds (Though imp Buckler Defense helps here)
    --Special note is the Beetle buckler. +2 nonmagical AC, can be traded for deflect arrows) (Arms & Equipment Guide)
    --Additional, any shield is mutually exclusive with a Monk/Swordsage Wisdom AC bonus

-Dastanas and Chahar-aina Provide a stacking +1 AC bonus to your Leather, hide or chain shirt armour. (oriental adventures)
    --Dastanas' require a light armour proficiency, Chahar-aina require Medium.
    --it may be possible to benefit by enchanting these separately, check with your DM for a ruling

-Twin Sword Style (Players Guide to Faerun)

-Ring of Force Shield - DMG/SRD 8500gp
    -- COUNTS AS A SHIELD! beware interaction with things like Monk/Swordsage Wisdom AC

-Gnome Battle Cloak (Races of Stone p155)
    --Requires an EWP, takes up a hand

-Shield Spell/Force Screen Psionics
    --Requires Use Magic/Psionic Device or a level dip in an appropriate class
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2011-01-14 at 03:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Shieldless Shield Bonus

Is your concern just holding the shield on your arm?

If you don't mind a shield, you can get one that like, hovers around near you, still providing its bonus but leaving your hands free. I don't remember the technical terms for that, though.

EDIT: Oh, proficiency. I'm not sure whether hover-shield thing requires proficiency or not.
    Last edited by Kalim; 2011-01-12 at 02:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It does, I use an Animated shield for most of my tank/full plate characters.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You can always use a Buckler/Light Wooden/Light Steel Shield with the Masterwork quality, +1 enchant or greater on it. If you put those on one of those then you can wear it without proficiency without gaining any penalty other than weight and Arcane Spell Failure Chance (which can also be reduced by enchants). The main penalty for using a shield you aren't proficient in is based on the shield's Armor Check Penalty. However, you can use one without hardly any penalty if you use one of the previously listed qualities to reduce the Armor Check Penalty to 0.

What class are you trying to get a shieldless shield bonus for?
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2011-01-12 at 02:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Swordsage, Dual wielding Shortswords.

A magic buckler can be worn without a proficiency? really? huh. That seems oddly simple.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Dastanas from oriental Adventures provide a +1 AC if you have a light armor proficiencies. basically, they be bracers that lay ontop of your armor, and (in theory) can be enchanted separately from armor, but I'd just rule that you get the +1 AC, and they cant be enchanted separately. Also, they still count if you wear a shield over them too!

EDIT: the buckler mentioned above by otehrs doesnt even need to be magical. a MW buckler eliminates all chech penalties, and thus a character without proficiency can wear it without penalty. costs 105 gp compared to 1005 gp for a +1 buckler or mithril.
    Last edited by Duncan_Ruadrik; 2011-01-12 at 02:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh nice. That's most certainly better than nothing, especially if my DM rules that they can be enchanted.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    Oh nice. That's most certainly better than nothing, especially if my DM rules that they can be enchanted.
    He probably will, since he'd have to actively rule that they can't. The main thing is, only the highest enhancement bonus applies, so the main thing you're getting out of it is paying to get more lesser armor properties or have a couple of big ones without going into epic equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, dang. Still, a +1 bonus for 25-325gp is pretty good.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think there's an argument that enhancement bonus improves the item, not the char. A +1 Dastana gives 2 armor/shield AC, not 1 armor AC to the wearer, and another 1 enhancement AC for being magic.

Of course, people's AC will sky rocket this way, so your DM might just shut you down.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah that's true. It seems odd to me that I've never seen them mentioned before if they're such an easy increase to AC.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's because OA is 3.0 material, so a lot of people don't like using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I suppose the source is a bit obscure... I think it's in OA, which is 3.0. Both does not help it's popularity.

IIRC, there's another armor there that lays over your armor.

Chahar-aina. You need Med armor prof to use it on pain of 1 ACP, but it is not Medium armor. Lay over light armor, to get 1AC.

Abusing them gets you cheap, cheap ways to buff your AC.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I think someone was a bit liberal with Copy pasta there. Dastana state they can be worn of Leather, hide and chain shirt armour and need a light armour proficiency.
    Chumba wumba Chahar-aina need a medium proficiency and state they can be worn over... Leather, hide and Chain shirt :-/
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

OA was updated to 3.5. so... dastanas are all legit peoples if the DM permits. (as with all things)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hmm, I think someone was a bit liberal with Copy pasta there. Dastana state they can be worn of Leather, hide and chain shirt armour and need a light armour proficiency.
    Chumba wumba Chahar-aina need a medium proficiency and state they can be worn over... Leather, hide and Chain shirt :-/
    Maybe they're meant to be worn together?

2.7k for a cheap +4 for chain shirt armor. Much better than breastplate.

At the end, 75k gets you a whopping +21 armor AC on chain shirt. (+5 from each, +1,+1,+4)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

It wont stop you from getting knocked down and you will have to say farewell to your crown...
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Maybe they're meant to be worn together?

2.7k for a cheap +4 for chain shirt armor. Much better than breastplate.

At the end, 75k gets you a whopping +21 armor AC on chain shirt. (+5 from each, +1,+1,+4)
    Hmm, now to play a Mr. T build. You got your gold chain shirt, your big chunky bracelets, your massive medallion...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    It wont stop you from getting knocked down and you will have to say farewell to your crown...
    And it's a shame Drunken monks can't wear light armour cos you'd have to drink a whiskey drink and a vodka drink. Lager drink, cider drink...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

One feat that might be worth considering if you're dual wielding is Twin Sword Style from Players Guide to Faerun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're dual-wielding, you're quite liable to lose any buckler bonus when you use your buckler hand to attack. Get an Darkwood Heavy Shield instead; it's only 100 gp or so more expensive than the masterwork version, and has that same -0 penalty that makes nonprofiency irrelevant. Then, of course, animate it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Ring of Force Shield (DMG/SRD)?

Force Shield: An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

Moderate evocation; CL 9th; Forge Ring, wall of force; Price 8,500 gp.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

If you have acces to the... Equipment Handbook? maybe? from 3.0 (was never updated, so it's still valid) you might want to consider the Beetle Buckler - it's a buckler that flies around you and gives you a +1 enhancement bonus to AC on top of the regular buckler bonus (and enhancement boni to AC aren't all that common).
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Twin sword style is pretty nice, like dodge but a little better PLUS it stacks with an animated shield, so I could do the darkwood thing too.

I love the beetle buckler generally, but it's still a buckler and would confer penalties to my off hand attacks which two-weapon fighting does not need.
    I wonder if you can enchant a beetle buckler to be animated, hmm.

The ring is nice, but a little pricey, sadly it's very existence makes it unlikely my DM will accept a custom shield item for only 4k.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

You need a +3 shield, so 9k. Animated is +2, and you can only add it on already magic items.

25. - Top - End - #25

Kobold

The beetle buckler is naturally animated, as it flies on its own for an indeterminate time as soon as you activate it - except it doesn0t follow the normal anmated rules (no need to have proficiency, even if it mattered for bucklers) and it doesn't apply a +2 price hit on your weapon.
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Seems nice. Cheap animated shield.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gnome Battle Cloak: This is a cloak that confers a +1 shield bonus if you are proficient with it. Since it provides a shield bonus and is listed as a shield in the equipment chart, you can enchant it with shield enhancements, even though you're just wearing it. Basically it just saves you the expense of having to buy an Animated shield. You can't make a shield bash with it, but you can make Disarm attempts with it (and you get a +4 bonus), though you have to wield it as an off hand weapon like a light shield to do so. Requires Exotic Shield Proficiency to use properly. Note that Fighters can trade their Tower Shield prof to get this instead. Races of Stone pg 155.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Could you enchant a Gnomish Battle Cloak with the Bashing enhancement from the DMG? Hmmmm...

I wonder, could you wield a Gnomish Battle Cloak AND a Weighted Cloak, using your cloaks to serve simultaneously as weapon and shield, allowing you to keep your hands free to either make claw/slam attacks if you have them, or possibly hold a ranged weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Could you enchant a Gnomish Battle Cloak with the Bashing enhancement from the DMG? Hmmmm...

I wonder, could you wield a Gnomish Battle Cloak AND a Weighted Cloak, using your cloaks to serve simultaneously as weapon and shield, allowing you to keep your hands free to either make claw/slam attacks if you have them, or possibly hold a ranged weapon?
    Gnomish Battle Cloak has to be set to your hand just like normal shields to claim the shield bonus. It works like a light shield, you can hold other things in the hand, but you can't attack with them.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    If you're dual-wielding, you're quite liable to lose any buckler bonus when you use your buckler hand to attack.
    This is what the feat "Improved Buckler Defense" solves.

Also, check out the Swashbuckler alternative class feature "Shield of Blades" from PHB2. It replaces the "Dodge" class feature, but only works in rounds when you do a full-round attack with two weapons. Does not require any magical equipment. Not sure if this is something for you, though.