New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Implosion Effects?

My character recently got implosion cast on her and died. I was wondering, what does the spell leave behind? Does it just implode you enough to kill and render the body useless for Raise Dead? Or does it render the body blackhole-like (except with insufficent mass to actually suck anything else in, and therefore quickly "evaporating")? Or does it do something in between?

In any case, I'd assume I'll need a minimum of Resurrection to bring her back, and I'm guessing her remains (as long as they aren't of the quick-evaporating blackhole variety) will wiegh as much as her body.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Implosion Effects?

I always picture it as being like the botched teleportation from Galaxy Quest - basically turning you inside out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The one thing that's nice about this is that's an evocation and not negative-energy based, so it works on undead and constructs.

Anyway, according to the description it says the target collapses into itself. I'd imagine it'd leave a super-dense tiny ball.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The one thing that's nice about this is that's an evocation and not negative-energy based, so it works on undead and constructs.

Anyway, according to the description it says the target collapses into itself. I'd imagine it'd leave a super-dense tiny ball.
    Or just a crushed ribcage+major organs. The spell is pretty vague about what actually happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    My character recently got implosion cast on her and died. I was wondering, what does the spell leave behind? Does it just implode you enough to kill and render the body useless for Raise Dead? Or does it render the body blackhole-like (except with insufficent mass to actually suck anything else in, and therefore quickly "evaporating")? Or does it do something in between?

In any case, I'd assume I'll need a minimum of Resurrection to bring her back, and I'm guessing her remains (as long as they aren't of the quick-evaporating blackhole variety) will wiegh as much as her body.
    Think Beef Stroghinoff. Little pieces of her are everywhere (each an inch width at most).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I always picture it as being like the botched teleportation from Galaxy Quest - basically turning you inside out.
    Then exploding?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post
    Then exploding?
    The thing is, she's not made out of anything that would explode after being compressed, afaik. So, I'd guess she'd stay imploded.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    The thing is, she's not made out of anything that would explode after being compressed, afaik. So, I'd guess she'd stay imploded.
    Everything explodes if you compress it enough first.

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    Everything explodes.
    Didn't need that second bit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

To kill some catgirls, if we expect the material to react normally, then as soon as the compression force from the spell wears off you would expect the materials expand back out until the pressure neutralizes. However, the sheer forces during compression and expansion would rip most things to shreds, and some permanent deformation is to be expected.

In other words, when the spell wears off I would expect the body to expand to about 60% of it's original volume but be shredded to bits. Starbucks suggestion of Beef Stroghinoff is probably pretty accurate.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Its a fort save, and it doesn't explicitly work on objects (unlike Disintegrate), so undead and constructs would be immune by virtue of their creature type.

The best part about Implosion is that it doesn't have the [Death] tag, so Death Ward and similar effects are powerless to stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the kind of damage the spell does, I'd rule you could be raised using raise dead, but you're going to be significantly crippled when you get back. Resurrection would get you back in decent shape.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

There is a tangential reference to it in Ghostwalk. Apparently, this is one of the most gruesome deaths the author could think of.

the creature's wounds are the stuff of nightmares: people who have had their brains extracted by a mind flayer, who have been tortured to death by malevolent sadists, who died from aggressive diseases such as mummy rot, or who were the targets of an implosion spell.
    I downplay this a bit in my games...
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

You'd need a Resurrection. Remember that episode of futurama with Boneitis? Think that but all focused inside towards one point.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2011-01-12 at 06:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I had always imagined this spell sort of just crumpled people in a bit, like collapsing their ribcages and breaking their limbs or something. Never considered the Beef Stroghinoff or near-singularity approaches.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I just pictured it as 'your innards a splode inward'. It's not a death effect, so you can be raised after it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Yeah, I just pictured it as 'your innards a splode inward'. It's not a death effect, so you can be raised after it.
    Raise Dead also requires an intact corpse, and I can't imagine a spell called Implosion happens to kill you but leave a neatly and perfectly undamaged body behind. Resurrection only requires a small chunk of the corpse though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Raise Dead also requires an intact corpse, and I can't imagine a spell called Implosion happens to kill you but leave a neatly and perfectly undamaged body behind. Resurrection only requires a small chunk of the corpse though.
    Well, yeah, but you could apply similar logic to many mortal wounds. 'Skull bashed in by warhammer' or 'body dashed on jagged rocks after having falling ten thousand and ridiculous feet from the top of a flying dire marmoset' wouldn't really result in an intact corpse. Neither would being fried with a simple orb of electricity, for that matter.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-01-12 at 09:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, yeah, but you could apply similar logic to many mortal wounds. 'Skull bashed in by warhammer' or 'body dashed on jagged rocks after having falling ten thousand and ridiculous feet from the top of a flying dire marmoset' wouldn't really result in an intact corpse. Neither would being fried with a simple orb of electricity, for that matter.
    A hole in your head from a warhammer and having your entire body turned inside out are fairly different scales of overall damage - and I wouldn't allow a body that fell ten thousand feet off a flying dire marmoset to be Raise Dead-ed either. Granted, that's using my 'total ruination' interpretation of the spell, as I think should be appropriate for a 9th-level Save or Die, but it also goes for the 'crushed into a singularity' interpretation. If you use a less viscerally lethal version/vision, Raise Dead could function.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A hole in your head from a warhammer and having your entire body turned inside out are fairly different scales of overall damage - and I wouldn't allow a body that fell ten thousand feet off a flying dire marmoset to be Raise Dead-ed either. Granted, that's using my 'total ruination' interpretation of the spell, as I think should be appropriate for a 9th-level Save or Die, but it also goes for the 'crushed into a singularity' interpretation. If you use a less viscerally lethal version/vision, Raise Dead could function.
    Well, that's true. Thematically, I guess it just comes down to what you picture the spell doing.