New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [1st Edition AD&D] Alignment . . .languages?!

OK, this one is for the greybeards, even the ones without beards.
    I was reading a copy of the Players Handbook for the first edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and I saw something that blew my mind. OK,I saw a lot of things that did that, but this more so. Apparently, everyone can speak a language that corresponds to their alignment. If their alignment shifts, they can no longer speak or understand that language.
    Wait . . .what?
    A lot of stuff in there I can see an ancestry in classic fantasy. After all, the whole idea was to play the kind of worlds the books presented. I've read quite a bit and I read TV Tropes quite a lot, so I like to think I have a certain familiarity with the tropes of fantasy. But I have never come across anything quite like this. Just where did this come from? Why was this rule added? What did it add to the game? Did you as players use this rule? I know AD&D was eccentric, but this is just one big "what."
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-12 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [1st Edition AD&D] Alignment . . .languages?!

Truthfully, that's one that's never quite made sense to me, either. In theory, they were solely for the discussion of moral and ethical concepts... someone who did not share your alignment would not be able to understand these, so they became kind of a "test' for alignment (making it a LOT easier for Paladins to employ only those who were LG or assassins), but, quite frankly, they never made any sense to me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

It wasn't just AD&D that had them. Those colourful boxes by Frank Mentzer had Alignment Languages too. It was all a bit more homespun and haphazard back then, and most people either forgot them or ignored them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Most folks ignore them in the end.

Though if you do think about them, they do make a kind of sense, credulity straining as it is.

Think of it not in terms of a full on language more as an expression of common reference points based on coincidental points of view. I.e., two Lawful Good characters will view the world similarly and share a certain moral frame of reference, and so can communicate some limited ideas referentially that might pass by unknown to an evil listener.

Think "Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra" kind of thing.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

That rule doesn't make much sense in a 'realistic' world, but it might be really cool in some more surreal setting.
    Do you use the mechanics to play the game,
    or do you use the game to play the mechanics?

My opinion on paladins

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I never saw them used.

But I suppose you could think of them like 'political language'.
    I always thought that they were silly.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Most folks ignore them in the end.

Though if you do think about them, they do make a kind of sense, credulity straining as it is.

Think of it not in terms of a full on language more as an expression of common reference points based on coincidental points of view. I.e., two Lawful Good characters will view the world similarly and share a certain moral frame of reference, and so can communicate some limited ideas referentially that might pass by unknown to an evil listener.

Think "Darmok and Gelad at Tenagra" kind of thing.
    Yes, I can see that, Evil Cannot Comprehend Good and tropes of that nature. But that is not how it is presented. It is presented as a full on language, with nouns and verbs and syntex. It is almost like the Black Speech from Lord of the Rings, but good beings like Gandalf could learn and speak that.
    Heh, speaking of TV Tropes, the language of Darmok is like what happens when you read too much TV Tropes, your brain starts thinking in terms of the tropes and their titles. Incidentally, it is one of my favourite Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes.
    Excuse me, Cacofonix and His Lyre, the Water Fell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Puppy Sunshine Blanket Spring Rain? [/CG]

Thunder Destruction Brimstone Hellfire! [/CE]

yeah, never really made sense.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

They don't make any sense if you think about them for longer than five seconds, for sure.

I found them lots of fun, though. We started with the Red Box basic D&D, which had those Alignment languages too.

They really create a very distinct "us versus them" feel. Like you belong to some sort of secret cult and the other guys (be they good or evil, depending on campaign) are the opposing cult that you really can't understand no matter how much you try.

And when the players try to talk to an NPC with their Alignment language and you describe said NPC as looking slightly puzzled and reaching out for his sword, the players instantly know that stuff is about to go down.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-01-12 at 05:19 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I... think... that you could pick up other languages for your character, including other-alignment languages. So your chaotic rogue could learn to speak Lawful, or something.

Doesn't make it any less silly, though. The closest I can imagine is either legalese (for lawful) or thieves' cant (for chaotic).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is not coming from the most informed person, but wasn't it just Law and Chaos back in 1E?

I could see, say, the most common alignment by far being Neutral, with only mortal paragons or monsters like demons having an alignment of Law or Chaos. If you're that dedicated to an alignment's ideals, I can easily see knowing the secret special language (Druidic, anyone?).

...That still doesn't make sense though, because there would be a Neutral alignment language. Which makes no sense on multiple levels. Unless you count Neutral as the absence of alignment, thus no language.

[/WILDLY UNINFORMED IDEAS]

EDIT: I mean, was the Chaos language Abyssal and the Law language Celestial or something? That would make a certain amount of sense.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-01-12 at 05:21 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Feh, Alignment Languages were just a version of Black Speech - languages that were tied to a particular axis of the morality spectrum. It just so happens that what was cool in Tolkien gets a bit silly when applied more broadly
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    This is not coming from the most informed person, but wasn't it just Law and Chaos back in 1E?
    Yeah, with Law being pretty much equal to Good and Chaos being equal to Evil. As I said, a really effective setup for all kinds of conflict.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I... think... that you could pick up other languages for your character, including other-alignment languages. So your chaotic rogue could learn to speak Lawful, or something.

Doesn't make it any less silly, though. The closest I can imagine is either legalese (for lawful) or thieves' cant (for chaotic).
    Only Assassins can pick up alignment languages (and druidic) without being that alignment, IIRC.

I could see, say, the most common alignment by far being Neutral, with only mortal paragons or monsters like demons having an alignment of Law or Chaos. If you're that dedicated to an alignment's ideals, I can easily see knowing the secret special language (Druidic, anyone?).

...That still doesn't make sense though, because there would be a Neutral alignment language. Which makes no sense on multiple levels. Unless you count Neutral as the absence of alignment, thus no language.

[/WILDLY UNINFORMED IDEAS]
    AD&D had all nine alignments. D&D, on the other hand, had lawful/neutral/chaotic only.

And yes, there was a Neutral language, technically. And Neutral Good was completely incomprehensible to anyone speaking Chaotic Good. Don't think about it too hard.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    And yes, there was a Neutral language, technically. And Neutral Good was completely incomprehensible to anyone speaking Chaotic Good. Don't think about it too hard.
    Bwuuuuh?

Wellllllll. *thinks*

I guess it could maybe make sense if you think about it in terms of 3.5 D&D languages, where you have LE devils and CE demons and LG archons and CG eladrins speaking different languages (and I'm sure the planes of Neutrality have their own language which is escaping me right now).

...But that still doesn't make sense, because I'm taking a wild guess and saying that Abyssal and such were also around back then in addition to the alignment languages.

Gah.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Bwuuuuh?

Wellllllll. *thinks*

I guess it could maybe make sense if you think about it in terms of 3.5 D&D languages, where you have LE devils and CE demons and LG archons and CG eladrins speaking different languages (and I'm sure the planes of Neutrality have their own language which is escaping me right now).

...But that still doesn't make sense, because I'm taking a wild guess and saying that Abyssal and such were also around back then in addition to the alignment languages.

Gah.
    Let me check my PHB for the "list of languages typically used".

Dwarvish, Halfling, Lizardman, Elvish, Hobgoblin, Ogrish, Goblin, Kobold, Orcish.

And almost every creature in the Monster Manual speaks its own language and usually one other. No languages mentioned for demons and devils, though I'd assume the alignment languages are the Abyssal/Infernal/Celestial of today.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Nitpick: There's only one good language in 3e, Celestial, so the archons and eladrins speak the same thing.

And no, there weren't Abyssal and Infernal back then, just the alignment languages. If you think of the alignment languages as people just speaking Infernal, Abyssal, Slaad, etc. it does make a bit more sense.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Bah, Celestial. I just re-introduced Eladrin and Elysian, with Celestial being the language of Celestia. Similar with Infernal, Fiendish and Abyssal. There's also Slaad and Modronic (not Moronic!).
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    There's also Slaad and Modronic (not Moronic!).
    Not Machine Code? Or Mechanical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #20

Mechanic was considered for the language of Mechanus, yes, but I dropped it in the end. Mainly because my players spontaneously adopted Modronic because they thought it was funny.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

1) I didn't say my explanation was good, merely that it was how it was explained to me and that it made some sort of sense within the framework of the game assumptions. Yes, if you think of the alignment tounges as "Infernal, Abbyssal, Celestial, etc." it makes even just a little more sense. Though only a little.

Best not think on it too hard.

2) AD&D 1ed (i.e., Gary's Greyhawk Version of D&D with the demon idol on the PHB and the efreet on the DMG) had all nine alignments from LG to CE. These were new at the time and a lot of people didn't like them because original woodgrain/whitebox D&D had only three alignments - Law, Neutral, Chaos and Law was NOT implicitly "Good" and Chaos was NOT implicitely "Evil" - based almost word for word on Moorcock's system of morality. Good and evil really didn't factor in as the concept was more about high cosmic forces at war. In the end, the best explanation I've heard for original D&D's alignment system was to ask and honestly answer the question below:

"If the end of the world arrives, where do you stand? With the forces of order and law trying vainly to hold the fabric of the universe together and preserve creation? With Cthulhu and his slathering horde of cosmic horrors bent on its unmaking? Or do you simply stand back and enjoy the show?"

By the time BECMI started rolling out and D&D was becoming slightly more kid friendly, Law and Chaos started to be equated with Good and Evil respectively.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I never saw them used. Really the only non-racial languages I ever saw used much were Druidic and Theives Cant, with a splash of Slyvan now and again.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

No. There are two separate lines of games running off from the 1974 OD&D game, "Classic" and AD&D. The AD&D game has most of the ideas you will be familiar with from D20/3e, the nine point alignment system being one of them. It was first introduced in Strategic Review (the seven issue precursor to Dragon) for OD&D. The "Classic" line made little use of the various expansions for OD&D, though. Classic is better known as the "Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortal" rule sets, eventually amalgamated into the Rules Cyclopedia. Here is a quick visual line-up of the books in question:

Original (1974-1977)

Spoiler
    Show

Classic (1977-2000)

Spoiler
    Show

Advanced (1977-2000)

Spoiler
    Show

[edit] Bloody Photobucket/Preview button! Ignore this post until later!

As for alignment languages, I cannot say I ever used them, but I have heard they have some sort of precedent. Maybe Moorcock?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-01-13 at 09:34 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    No. There are two separate lines of games running off from the 1974 OD&D game, "Classic" and AD&D.
    D20 is specifically a continuation of AD&D. Hence 3rd edition. "Classic" D&D went through at least five editions, including the wite box 0 or OD&D version, the blue cover "Holmes" edition, the red Tom Moldvay edition which expanded into the Expert Rules and is known as B/X edition. Then came Frank Mentzer and the many colourful boxes, known as BECMI. And finally was Aaron Allston and the Rules Cyclopedia.

Personally, I think the Rules Cyclopedia edition of D&D is the best version of the game yet published, but obviously WotC disagree...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

We used it. It's just one of those things you can't think too much about. Go team law! Go team chaos! Woooo!
    6-Cha Druid avatar by Savannah!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    D20 is specifically a continuation of AD&D. Hence 3rd edition. "Classic" D&D went through at least five editions, including the wite box 0 or OD&D version, the blue cover "Holmes" edition, the red Tom Moldvay edition which expanded into the Expert Rules and is known as B/X edition. Then came Frank Mentzer and the many colourful boxes, known as BECMI. And finally was Aaron Allston and the Rules Cyclopedia.

Personally, I think the Rules Cyclopedia edition of D&D is the best version of the game yet published, but obviously WotC disagree...
    Whilst D20/3e presents itself as a continuation of the AD&D line with the moniker "3rd" it actually uses as much "Classic" material as it does "Advanced". The Original and Holmes editions of D&D are actually quite different from the "Classic" line that emerged later, about as different as Advanced is to them. A lot of the confusion has to do with the fact that the "Classic" line was folded into AD&D in the mid nineties when Mystara was made an AD&D game setting.

In any case, what you actually have are two separate lines built off the original game, though for legal reasons [i.e. IP ownership] AD&D was presented as a different game to OD&D. If you look at the supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods Demi-Gods & Heroes, Swords & Spells) though, it is evident that OD&D + Supplements = AD&D. Holmes is a slightly different kettle of fish, as it is an edition of OD&D with additional "pointers" introduced afterwards by Gygax that make it seem to be an introduction to AD&D.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-01-13 at 09:54 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    As for alignment languages, I cannot say I ever used them, but I have heard they have some sort of precedent. Maybe Moorcock?
    Yes, it's Moorcock, there's some reference to Melnibonian language being a version of the language of chaos. Mind you, while it made sense in D&D, with the introduction of nine alignments and a massive change to the cosmology, alignment languages stopped making any sense. It seems like they were just mechanically transferred into the newer edition without giving the whole concept more thought.

Incidentally, the whole "chaos=evil" and "law=good" doesn't really hold for Moorcock's writings. The only "good" side is Balance, since a total victory of either Law or Chaos would lead to a total destruction of everything. Moorcock's heroes fight against both, supporting the one that is weaker at the time. I think it might be a reflection of Moorcock's political views: too much of conservatism or too much of liberalism would be, in the long run, harmful to the society. It seems to me that this view of Chaos and Law was considered too "unfriendly" for the purposes of d&d (what with there being to universally acceptable "evil" targets to slay ), and the more useful, from gaming perspective, 9 alignment were introduced.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    Yes, it's Moorcock, there's some reference to Melnibonian language being a version of the language of chaos. Mind you, while it made sense in D&D, with the introduction of nine alignments and a massive change to the cosmology, alignment languages stopped making any sense. It seems like they were just mechanically transferred into the newer edition without giving the whole concept more thought.

Incidentally, the whole "chaos=evil" and "law=good" doesn't really hold for Moorcock's writings. The only "good" side is Balance, since a total victory of either Law or Chaos would lead to a total destruction of everything. Moorcock's heroes fight against both, supporting the one that is weaker at the time. I think it might be a reflection of Moorcock's political views: too much of conservatism or too much of liberalism would be, in the long run, harmful to the society. It seems to me that this view of Chaos and Law was considered too "unfriendly" for the purposes of d&d (what with there being to universally acceptable "evil" targets to slay ), and the more useful, from gaming perspective, 9 alignment were introduced.
    Right. From what I understand, Moorcock apparently admitted to borrowing the law/chaos thing from somewhere else (Anderson maybe, or Vance, I forget), the original I have heard would more closely fit the D&D version, and Gygax was familiar with both.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

That would be Anderson, Three hearts and three lions, from which D&D also borrowed trolls and much of the paladin fluff.
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    That would be Anderson, Three hearts and three lions, from which D&D also borrowed trolls and much of the paladin fluff.
    That would be it, then. One of these days I will get round to reading some Anderson.