Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default No more DDM minis

They're ending the line, except for collectors sets.

This sucks!

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: No more DDM minis

Oh dear.
    Do you have a link?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Not really, I saw it on Enworld.

Does that count?

My Blog The Level 1 GM

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

...meh. I haven't bought a box since early 4E, and at the time I gave up, the quality of the sets was really on the decline.

They peaked at around Desert of Desolation, and the quality of the sculpts and paintjobs started sliding downhill from there, IMHO.

Fortunately, I've got all the minis I'm ever likely to need.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98072

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I get mine individually, or a box if they're going very cheap. Minis add something to the game, even if I don't have all the right ones.

Has anyone seen the mini Mike Kruthuik uses for Jim Darkmagic? It's the Eladrin Pyromancer. And one of my players who uses it got a real kick when he found out that it was the same as Jim Darkmagic.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

My collection, sadly, started only last year, so it's quite small.

Well then, I suppose it's back to trawling the Internet for singles.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I own exactly two miniatures - a Gauth and a Beholder. It's all I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Those are some pretty realistic minis in that first post.
    Multas Gratias to Kopaka for the great avatar.

Editor and playtester for Legend. Check it out, or drop in on the Legend Chat to have all your questions answered.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Those are some pretty realistic minis in that first post.
    LOL - yeah, I think the links got messed up at some point after I uploaded them!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh, and it was so hard to get them here, especially the heroes line. My FLGS would only sell them in bundles (mostly because they were so hard to sell).

I also noticed the dramatic decline in the quality. See here.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. They really did go down in quality I guess. All of mine are from a while back, the latest being when I think they first introduced huge-sized minis, and even those look better than the ones you posted.

I stopped buying them because of sudden poorness, but if I ever start collecting again what sets would it be best to skip, and which are good?

Editor and playtester for Legend. Check it out, or drop in on the Legend Chat to have all your questions answered.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. They really did go down in quality I guess. All of mine are from a while back, the latest being when I think they first introduced huge-sized minis, and even those look better than the ones you posted.

I stopped buying them because of sudden poorness, but if I ever start collecting again what sets would it be best to skip, and which are good?
    Not sure what you want to prioritize, but what I want to get if I had the choice are the War of the Dragonqueen and Against the Giants sets. I want the Huge-size minis.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well as long as I don't get any more of those damned Fiendish Tyrannosauruses I'm not averse to huges. Mostly I'd like humanoids though. None of my minis has ever remotely resembled a single PC ever even once, and I might like that to change.

Actually it'd be really cool to be able to buy singles, or alternatively, huge packs of a bunch. My local store doesn't do anything like that though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well that sucks. No wonder Lords of Madness is so hard to find lately. I'd like to get a couple of the rare minis from that set before they go out of print, like the Archdukes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Well as long as I don't get any more of those damned Fiendish Tyrannosauruses I'm not averse to huges. Mostly I'd like humanoids though. None of my minis has ever remotely resembled a single PC ever even once, and I might like that to change.

Actually it'd be really cool to be able to buy singles, or alternatively, huge packs of a bunch. My local store doesn't do anything like that though.
    Wow, and I thought I had it tough with only about 8 figures that resembled anything my players would play.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well as long as I don't get any more of those damned Fiendish Tyrannosauruses I'm not averse to huges.
    I'll trade you for some Nightwalkers! Seriously, 5/7 packs I got were Nightwalkers...the other 2 were Fomorians.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm surprised nobody has commented on what this may or may not mean for the state of D&D.

4e is obviously HIGHLY geared towards miniature combat, to the point where a lot of players say its just about impossible without them (whether thats good, bad, or even true is up to you).

Also, the trend of WotC lately has been to basically spoon feed gamers (4e gamers in particular) by producing their own versions of everything you could ever need (and much more) to play their game. Battle Maps, Miniatures, Monster Tokens, 3d terrain, hell even cards for your spells and an online character builder with everything built in that does math for you.

So why stop making what seems to be the main ingredient: the miniatures? Are they hoping to replace them with monster tokens? Are they going to start a new line of miniatures with a different direction? Or, and this is extreme, a possible large rules overhaul that isn't so minis focused?

Could mean a number of things, could mean nothing. I'm betting for nothing, but it is interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    * I am no longer permitted to Wild Shape my druid into a bear riding a bear while summoning bears.
    Ye Olde Blog

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I own exactly two miniatures - a Gauth and a Beholder. It's all I want.
    Yeah, all I have is the Ancient Wyrm Red Dragon

Man that was tricky to get home on the bus
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I remember when 4E was fairly new, there was talk that an online/computer based mapping system with customizable avatars for players and monsters was on the cards to replace physical maps and minis...maybe this is starting to come true?

Although I have come to never try and predict what WoTC has on the horizon for D&D...they usually managed to surprise and baffle me with their business model and decisions, and usually not in a positive way.

To be honest, since I don't play 4E, my relationship with WotC has basically finished, so I'm not that concerned any more. I do wish that more 3rd party manufacturers would take a stab at prepainted plastic minis in the same scale. The only one I'[m aware of was Reaper Minis, and AFAIK, they never even hit the stores in Australia. Some people don't like prepainted plastic, but to me it was a godsend...my lead minis always managed to get damaged quite easily, and I never had the time, patience or talent to paint the vast bulk of them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Although I have come to never try and predict what WoTC has on the horizon for D&D...they usually managed to surprise and baffle me with their business model and decisions, and usually not in a positive way.
    Well, WoTC is run by dyslexic monkeys quite obviously so its not surprising that they baffle you with their business decisions.

Heck they let the Star Wars RPG license go, so you got to wonder whos running things over there...

ANYWAY back on topic: the way to fix this is as easy as any other board/wargame: Legos!

Seriously, Legos are the best things ever! you can make awesome models with them or use them to play Warhammer 40k or Dungeons and Dragons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I don't think they would stop production unless the minis weren't selling.

Maybe once the majority of the groups were finished buying them the sales plummeted. It would just make sense to stop them. I know I wouldn't be making them at a loss.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I want my minis! I'm going to cry >.<

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

No surprise their Miniatures line was tanking...their marketing department needs a serious infusion of a$$kicking. The first mistake they did was NOT offering any packs of mini's of a "collected" nature aka "goblin" packs, or "skeleton" packs.

IMO, that would have boosted sales hugely, as what DM doesn't need like 10 kobolds/ goblins/ skeletons/etc instead of having to buy endless packs and hope for the numbers of each mini you want.

Who knows wth the marketing department was thinking, but seriously it baffles me. When they have mini's so pre-dominant in 4E now.. and they drop the line.. WOW. I guess it goes to show you how hurting 4E sales are now, and maybe we'll see a return to 3.5 days

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    I guess it goes to show you how hurting 4E sales are now, and maybe we'll see a return to 3.5 days
    That's not gonna happen. At best, we'll get 5th edition sooner than expected. Maybe they'll hire people from the 3.5 staff to design it. I'd like to see a new D&D game with the heavy hitters behind it. I mean, Rob Heinsoo? Guy designed, like, a bad card game and they have him write a Player's Handbook. James Wyatt is awesome, but Andy Collins has yet to make a name for himself. James Wyatt, Skipp Williams and Monte Cook? Now that is a designing team.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-01-14 at 12:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

No surprise their Miniatures line was tanking...their marketing department needs a serious infusion of a$$kicking. The first mistake they did was NOT offering any packs of mini's of a "collected" nature aka "goblin" packs, or "skeleton" packs.

IMO, that would have boosted sales hugely, as what DM doesn't need like 10 kobolds/ goblins/ skeletons/etc instead of having to buy endless packs and hope for the numbers of each mini you want.

Who knows wth the marketing department was thinking, but seriously it baffles me. When they have mini's so pre-dominant in 4E now.. and they drop the line.. WOW. I guess it goes to show you how hurting 4E sales are now, and maybe we'll see a return to 3.5 days
    Bring on 5E - monsters, classes, powers, feats, skills, and items will all be sold as 'stat cards' in randomized booster packs. Players will construct a deck for their PC and play cooperatively against the DM's encounter deck with such cards as 'Subservient Middle Management: +10 to all Diplomacy checks till end of turn'. Please Ao, don't let this happen...
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-01-14 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I'm pretty sure 5e will just be an iPhone app.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meh, I'm not worried. There's lots of minis from other games too. Warhammer for one.

edit: gawd I want to play a good campaign. I'm starting to actually consider a PbP.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-01-14 at 01:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Meh, I'm not worried. There's lots of minis from other games too. Warhammer for one.

edit: gawd I want to play a good campaign. I'm starting to actually consider a PbP.
    Ha same here. If you start a level 1 game, preferably Forgotten Realms let me know : )
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    * I am no longer permitted to Wild Shape my druid into a bear riding a bear while summoning bears.
    Ye Olde Blog

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    Are they hoping to replace them with monster tokens?
    I think so.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is EXACTLY what I need. I would buy these by the truckload. Why didn't they ever do this?!
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show