New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5]Dragon class advancing - need help

Greetings, Playground. I am looking for your advice on the following matter. For some time I was playing rather typical Bahamut-worshipping bard/paladin. HHad to dump wis because of not so good stat roll, so no paladin spellcasting - just took an ACF from ComChamp. Well this character eventually found himself dead. The resurrection went totally wrong (the right kind of wrong, though), and instead of being resurrected, he was reconstructed into 10 hd very young silver dragon. The DM dropped LA, so I continue to gain exp as a 10 level character. Now there is 400 exp between me and my 11th level, but I can't choose, what class I should take. My stats are 15 10 15 16 10 18, and I've got these feats:
    Multiattack, Protection Devotion, Ability focus(breath), Heigten breath.
    So please recomend me a class to advance
    Last edited by Fearan; 2011-01-15 at 04:57 AM.
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Dragon class advancing - need help

Quote Originally Posted by Fearan View Post
    Greetings, Playground. I am looking for your advice on the following matter. For some time I was playing rather typical Bahamut-worshipping bard/paladin. HHad to dump wis because of not so good stat roll, so no paladin spellcasting - just took an ACF from ComChamp. Well this character eventually found himself dead. The ressurection went totally wrong (the right kind of wrong, though), and instead of being ressurected, he was reconstructed into 10 hd very young silver dragon. The DM dropped LA, so I continue to gain exp as a 10 level character. Now there is 400 exp between me and my 11th level, but I can't choose, what class I should take. My stats are 15 10 15 16 10 18, and I've got these feats:
    Multiattack, Protection Devotion, Ability focus(breath), Heigten breath.
    So please reccomend me a class to advance
    See if you can take virtual age category hit dice and break the game. (See draconomicon)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, age advancement only trough actual time - and I don't really want to break the game
    Last edited by Fearan; 2011-01-14 at 11:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For a dragon, I would suggest either focusing on your natural attacks or getting some kind of magic. So.. Totemist, Sorcerer (because it'll combine with your innate casting if you ever manage to age up to Young), or some variety of psychic; Ardent with the more martially-focused mantles could be a good idea, especially with how Ardent interacts with Practiced Manifester. Conflict and Freedom have pretty good low-level powers and somewhat useful mantle abilities. Psychic Warrior is always a decent standby for natural-weapons shenanigannery, but you'll need like 5 levels in it before you get a decent number of powers and power points.

Totemist can give you even more natural attacks and has a number of melds that generically improve all your natural attacks; a couple of levels will do interesting things for you. Hmm.. or.. do both! Ditch the breath-focused feats, if possible, because your breath weapon is sadly just going to fall further and further behind the curve in damage and DC, even with Heighten. Trade them for Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) and Open Least Chakra (Hand.) You can now pounce with your natural weapons. Although you might find some other thing you prefer to do, since if you do go psionic you can get Swift movements and Pounce pretty easily, so full attacking won't be much of a problem. Still, there is almost certainly some neat thing you can cherry pick with Shape Soulmeld/Open Chakra.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Abjurant Champion. Just Abjurant Champion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Abjurant Champion. Just Abjurant Champion.
    Hmm, if he could make himself a loredrake…

Otherwise, a sorcerer dip (or even wizard, since you've got decent int) and abjurant champion would be decent gishy gish. With wizard, you could select from the lovely Sanctified (BoED) spells.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the answers
    Abjurant cheater is cool but as a plain and simple dragon I don't have martial weapon proficiency (wich led to in-game jokes like "you still know how to use your mandoline, but forgot how to use a sword. Clearly, Bahamut wants you to be a bard"). But this gave me an idea of duskblade2(3 if it is possible to channel spells via natural weapon)/sor1/AC X advancing sorc for stacking with age casting.
    Also Sanctified spells are very fluffy and thematic here, but are they really decent?
    Last edited by Fearan; 2011-01-14 at 02:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Also Sanctified spells are very fluffy and thematic here, but are they really decent?
    Many of them are pretty great. Say, Luminous Armour and the greater version.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I admit, Luminous armor is really good, though I need some prepared casting to get it. Smells rather Archivyst-y to me

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I admit, Luminous armor is really good, though I need some prepared casting to get it. Smells rather Archivyst-y to me
    Depending on DM, Arcane Preparation might work for a sorc. Luminous Armour is also Abjuration, so combining it with Abjurant Champion…
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Options:
    • Battle Wizard. Trade your Scribe Scroll for a Fighter bonus feat, get EWP and ask your DM if it counts for Abjurant Champion.
    • Battle Sorcerer. First level spells (grab those from Dragons of Eberron, like Strenght of True Form) anda Martial Weapon Proficiency.
    • Stalwart Sorcerer. Get that Martial Weapon.
    • Warshaper. You qualify due to alternate form.

Also, alternate form is awesome. Become a legendary monkey (Str 30) and wield a spear. Become a dark one and gain sneak attack. Seriously, this is the best part of being a silver dragon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see.....

You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut. While your wisdom score isn't great, that doesn't matter for Archivist nearly as much as it would for cleric/druid. What's more, this sets a precedent for homebrewing like-minded prestige classes that do the same thing for other classes, such as a meldshaper, manifester, soul-binder, or wizard. Not immediately useful, but handy to keep in mind if you want to go divine and then age(or for anything really, if your DM is ok with a small amount of homebrew).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut.
    I made the same mistake. As a very young silver dragon, he has no casting ability.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I made the same mistake. As a very young silver dragon, he has no casting ability.
    Loredrake would give Sorc 2 casting to it right? I don't remember the exact wording but I think it read: "you can cast spells as if you are a sorcerer 2 level higher than the norm" therefore you could cast as a Sorcerer 2, right?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut........Not immediately useful, but handy to keep in mind if you want to go divine and then age(or for anything really, if your DM is ok with a small amount of homebrew).
    I covered that.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):