New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Being the guy that has a trap for that.

Hey folks, I am currently in a level 4 pathfinder campaign. I am a Rogue with some crazy stats and 12 skill points per level. I would like to put a bunch of points into craft trap. Could someone explain to me how the trap system works?

I am thinking I could make traps, place them in the combat area, and make enemies hit them as they get closer to me.

Is this possible?

In short:
    A) How do traps work in Pathfinder
    B) Is it possible to use traps in combat?

Thanks!
    Freedom is to say that two plus two equals four, if that is granted, all else will follow.

http://the-ethan-yazel.deviantart.com

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Being the guy that has a trap for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boy View Post
    Hey folks, I am currently in a level 4 pathfinder campaign. I am a Rogue with some crazy stats and 12 skill points per level. I would like to put a bunch of points into craft trap. Could someone explain to me how the trap system works?

I am thinking I could make traps, place them in the combat area, and make enemies hit them as they get closer to me.

Is this possible?

In short:
    A) How do traps work in Pathfinder
    B) Is it possible to use traps in combat?

Thanks!
    A) Long description, so see the link.
    B) Not unless you're fighting a defensive battle, or using spell traps, no.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have access to Complete Scoundrel, check out the Combat Trapsmith, up the DCs a little and presto, you have something interesting at least.

There's also a similar type of class in Dungeonscape.

Issue here is partially that traps aren't something you can just make in haste. Even a tripwire spike-arm trap requires stake sharpening and careful positioning [I doubt i could rig one in less than 10 minutes if I practiced like crazy and had the perfect location.

Best you could really hope for is alchemical mines and trapsmithing to allow you to position them in effective places.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

@Jack_Smith

Actually with 2 rogue talents, quick trapsmith and cunning trigger, combat trapping is very possible.

@Tech Bot

Problem is most mooks will see you setting up traps mid combat unless you take measures to prevent that, making most traps in combat situations battlefield control.