Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Alright, it's a bit late but better late than never. Here is the voting thread for the current contest, voting will commence now and run til the 27th. Vote once for your favorites of those that qualified. I'm gonna do something special this time, as there will be the winner and X's favorite at the end, so I can weigh in a vote. Voters, please bold your selections as we're not doing polls anymore, and I know I'd appreciate it and I bet the authors will too if you say why you voted for their class.

    {table=head]Prestige Class|Author|Votes
    Giving Tree|Amphetryon|3
    Sword and Soul|fireinakasha|2
    Humble Soulshaper|zagan|1
    Anglo-Saxon Hero|The Conductor|0
    Redeemer of Regrets|Benly|2
    Iron Saint|Eurus|0
    Goodwife|The Vorpal Tribble|5
    Channel of Ysgard|Glimbur|0
    Pyre of Maat|Hyooz|3
    Protector of the Hidden Gate|unosarta|1
    Angel of Death|boomwolf|0
    Dragonkin|TheAmishPirate|0[/table]

    And the winner is... The Vorpal Tribble with the Goodwife! Congrats!

    ErrantX's Pick: The Goodwife (see below).

    -X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2011-01-28 at 02:51 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Pyre of Maat
    by Hyooz, curse him

    This entry took Good and turned it into something original and awesome that I've not yet seen. Its theme and abilities coincide elegantly and I enjoyed just reading through it. However, if he wins with it I will gently nip his head off, suck his soul out with a straw, and no feather on a scale is gonna save him.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-17 at 09:26 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Giving Tree

    I think this class did it's reference justice, and has good and flavorful abilities at nearly every level.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    unosarta's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    This entry took Good and turned it into something original and awesome that I've not yet seen. Its theme and abilities coincide elegantly and I enjoyed just reading through it. However, if he wins with it I will gently nip his head off, suck his soul out with a straw, and no feather on a scale is gonna save him.
    Really? I have to wonder, after reading it, what exactly was so new about how the class took good? I mean, yes, it was a splendid class, but it hardly took a brand new horizon on good.

    Also, wouldn't good try to be inclusive? To help everyone? Why then, is the most important class ability limited to only those of an alignment aspect the same as the Pyre? That seems sort of exclusive, and really jarring, when compared with flavor that speaks of "giving", "assurance", "serenity". Indeed, the "weigh the heart" ability explicitly targets those who are not like, or of the same alignment as, the Pyre.

    Honestly, though, I felt that all of the entries did this, to a major extent, and I kind of feel like abstaining from voting, for that reason. I feel like most felt like classes where it was a fine and interesting concept, but with a "good" alignment tacked on, and flavor added. Admittedly, my own prestige class does feel like this as well, even without the alignment requirement.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

    My deviantArt.

    Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

    My Homebrew

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rainbow Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Thumbs up Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    I'm going to cast my vote for the Redeemer of Regrets - I just love the fluff, and I think it's a valid take on the good necromancer concept as opposed to the usual "I use exactly the same abilities as an evil necromancer, but I'm different to them - honest. Now, watch me angst in a dark corner!"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    zagan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    My vote go to the Sword and Soul, I'm a romantic at heart and the idea of two people joining together body and soul to fight evil is just great, plus the mechanic are wery well done.
    Latest homebrew: The Avatars of Magic, powerful monster each dedicated to ne school of magic.

    My homebrewer's Extended Signature
    My character :
    Spoiler
    Show

    Mirar, Bizarre human Focused Conjurer/Master specialist (summoning specialist)
    Xilef, shifter Druid 8//Barbarian 5/Weretouched master 3
    Other Character.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Divayth Fyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by loaded.dice View Post
    I'm going to cast my vote for the Redeemer of Regrets - I just love the fluff, and I think it's a valid take on the good necromancer concept as opposed to the usual "I use exactly the same abilities as an evil necromancer, but I'm different to them - honest. Now, watch me angst in a dark corner!"
    My thoughts exactly - so another vote for Benly's Redeemer
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2011-01-18 at 06:53 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Well some of my votes can't count because their creator didnt finish doing the fluff part at the end. So it was between The Sword and Soul or Protector of the Hidden Gate.

    At the end I think the Sword and Soul is pretty original, but will see play with difficulty finding the Soul.

    My vote goes to Protector of the Hidden Gate

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Seraphiel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by zagan View Post
    My vote go to the Sword and Soul, I'm a romantic at heart and the idea of two people joining together body and soul to fight evil is just great, plus the mechanic are wery well done.
    Yeah, this. <3

    My vote for Sword and Soul.


    Close seconds were Necrolinguist, and Goodwife.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest, not Middle East
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Giving Tree. There were many interesting ideas, but this class jumped out as one I would like to play and it was also Good both by the standards of D&D and by more modern sensibilities. The class features were only as complicated as they needed to be and it had no dead levels.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    dyslexicfaser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    It's got to be Vorpal Tribble's Goodwife, for me.

    There was almost too much going on in 10 levels, but I loved the flavor even more than the Monstrumologist.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    *.*.*.*'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    +1 to Goodwife, I loved the fluff and definitely want to nab one as a cohort!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Goodwife for me as well. Just a really wholesome, good concept, brilliantly executed. (I'm adapting the first seven levels as an uncommon-to-rare NPC base class for my games, found mostly in small towns and rural areas.)

    Redeemer of Regrets was a very, very close second, though. Dare I say it redeemed the unlikely-sounding concept of a good necromancer?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Close tie between Reedemer of Regrets and the Goodwife. I'm going to go with Goodwife.
    My homebrew:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

    The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

    Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish



    Worthwhile links:

    Age of Warriors

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Stycotl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    bouncing around the world
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    my vote goes to the goodwife.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

    my deviantART

    my alter ego

    Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

    Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

    Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kallisti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Giving Tree here, because I love the mechanical implementation and there need to be more good classes for this kind of character, but the Sword and the Soul and the Goodwife are both excellent as well.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Votes thus far are tallied. Keep em coming.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Now I know there are people out there who haven't voted yet, and I know that needs to change. People who entered the contest, some of which who haven't voted, and lots of people who follow the contest. Come on! Let's get some more votes in before it closes!

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    unosarta's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Well, if I have to...

    I would say that the Pyre of Maat feels like the "good-est" class to me, and the mechanics are pretty cool.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

    My deviantArt.

    Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

    My Homebrew

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I would say that the Pyre of Maat feels like the "good-est" class to me, and the mechanics are pretty cool.
    *snrk*



    Honestly, though, I felt that all of the entries did this, to a major extent, and I kind of feel like abstaining from voting, for that reason. I feel like most felt like classes where it was a fine and interesting concept, but with a "good" alignment tacked on, and flavor added. Admittedly, my own prestige class does feel like this as well, even without the alignment requirement.
    Hope mine is excluded from this. I made the Goodwife to be just that. Someone very good in a 'make the world a better place' rather than a 'killz evulz!!' way.

    Am considering making an evil version, though will have to drastically rewrite the thing.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-24 at 09:07 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    I would pick Humble Soulshaper, for both flavor and mechanics.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!


    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    unosarta's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Hope mine is excluded from this. I made the Goodwife to be just that. Someone very good in a 'make the world a better place' rather than a 'killz evulz!!' way.

    Am considering making an evil version, though will have to drastically rewrite the thing.
    It feels more like the contest is my problem here. A theme of something that is "good" rarely, if ever, makes it an easy decision for me, mostly because I can imagine an evil character playing in almost every single one of these classes, if not for the alignment restriction. Honestly, it seems that if really any class were presented to me with this contest, I would still not see them as purely good, because most any class cannot truly have their mechanics define their alignment in a way that is both significant to the class, and mechanically up to par, and also because alignment is so subjective a system. That is awesome from a player and character standpoint, but really hard to get behind from a contestual one.

    Oh well.

    [Edit]: As for your class, VT:
    Spoiler
    Show

    "Have some cake little children. Have some pie. Have some candy, little children. It was made by the brownie. It was made for you, little children. Gobble it up, little children. We want you fa-- I mean, oh, have you finished your pie? Have you finished your cake and your candy? Have some more, little children."
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-24 at 10:22 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

    My deviantArt.

    Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

    My Homebrew

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    If I'd've known you were coming I'd've backed a cake, baked a cake...

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    My vote is for the Redeemer of Regrets. Like what's been said before, I'm impressed that you made a Good necromancer without making a terrible necromancer.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    This is the last night of voting, and we can do better than 17 total votes
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-27 at 08:51 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    This is the last night of voting, and we can do better than 17 total votes
    Agreed. Oh well, very sad, but its time to get the next contest readied, regardless of turn out. Come on, lurkers! :P

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    The main reason I took so long to vote is because I sort of have two favorites: my favorite flavorwise is the Dragonkin, but I really like the mechanics of the Pyre of Maat's Weigh The Heart ability. (And obviously I think the Redeemer is fantastic but I'm not going to vote for myself. ) I think that in terms of actual play consideration I'm going to have to vote for the Pyre of Maat.

    The Dragonkin suffered from a lot of little problems and quirks in my opinion. I feel like with some tightening up it could've gotten my vote, because I completely love the concept of the class, but as it is it just didn't feel as solidly built as some of the classes in the running.

    The Pyre's flavor would have been forgettable, except that the Weigh The Heart ability drives it home with a rather unique mechanic that forces a "fair" judgement. The fact that its effects are, to an extent, beyond the Pyre's control drives home the nature of maat as being almost a moral force of nature - as I understand it, the Egyptian concept of maat is a notion that sees moral law as an extension of natural law, so this sort of judgement beyond the player character's control underscores that for me.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    And the Winner and ErrantX's pick is the Vorpal Tribble's Goodwife!

    I like a lot of the classes that entered (and many that I regrettably had to cut), I have a special love for the Iron Saint because I like the concept of a holy murderer, and the Angel of Death picture is awesome, and the concepts attached to the class were pleasing. The Channel of Ysgard is also pleasant to me because I love viking and Norse mythology.

    Trib's Goodwife is pleasing because it's not a smite the baddies kind of class that I honestly expected, and it comes at good from a warmer, gentler perspective with a sort of pleasant whimsy for what the goodwife can do, with the blessings and the strength of the character within her domain or when defending those she chooses to care for. That, and I honestly just love anything to do with the Fey. So kudos man, from me to you.

    New contest tomorrow! What will it be?!?!

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Thanks EX and voters

    Catch me later Hyooz

    I think I'll be having a talk with Eurus about adding the Iron Saint to my A Dying Ember campaign. I really liked them as well and have a place just for them. In fact, they may be in cahoots with the Goodwives.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hyooz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Gitp PrC XXIV: Voting Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Thanks EX and voters

    Catch me later Hyooz

    I think I'll be having a talk with Eurus about adding the Iron Saint to my A Dying Ember campaign. I really liked them as well and have a place just for them. In fact, they may be in cahoots with the Goodwives.
    I'll get you next time, Gadget!

    Current Contest Entries:

    Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

    Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

    Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

    Spoiler
    Show


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •