New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [4E] Implements and Summoning Powers

How do implement enhancement bonuses apply to summoning powers? Do the summoned creature's attacks get the bonus from the implement I used to summon it in the first place, or do they get the bonus from the implement I'm wielding when the creature attacks?

My summoning-focused artificer thanks you for the clarification.
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [4E] Implements and Summoning Powers

Usually, you'll keep wielding the implement you used when you summoned the creature. Nothing in RAW that I can remember explicitly prohibits you from switching the implement while using multiturn powers, except that you can't use multiple implements when making attacks with other powers.

However, allowing you to switch implements also allows some Wizards to pull off shenanigans like Tome of Binding + Staff of Ruin = Win, so I'm going to say that you must use the same implement for every attack you make with any multi-turn power. If you are no longer wielding the implement when you make the attack, you lose its bonuses and cannot specify a different implement for the attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    How do implement enhancement bonuses apply to summoning powers? Do the summoned creature's attacks get the bonus from the implement I used to summon it in the first place, or do they get the bonus from the implement I'm wielding when the creature attacks?

My summoning-focused artificer thanks you for the clarification.
    They don't get the bonus as it doesn't have the implement keyword if i remember correctly

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    do they get the bonus from the implement I'm wielding when the creature attacks?
    By RAW, this.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by mobdrazhar View Post
    They don't get the bonus as it doesn't have the implement keyword if i remember correctly
    Wrongo Jacko. Every summoning power has the implement keyword.

EDIT:

Before I get painstakenly proven wrong, I'm adding almost every summoning power. The power Animate Arbalester for instance has the Weapon keyword instead.
    Last edited by DragonBaneDM; 2011-01-18 at 03:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Wrongo Jacko. Every summoning power has the implement keyword.

EDIT:

Before I get painstakenly proven wrong, I'm adding almost every summoning power. The power Animate Arbalester for instance has the Weapon keyword instead.
    And that one you're required to shout "Sentry goin' up!" when you use it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    And that one you're required to shout "Sentry goin' up!" when you use it.
    Haha. Seriously though that power's ridiculous. Grab Quick Loader, stand next to it, and take the Clockwork Engineer Paragon Path.

When you Action Point, you can make six 2[W] attacks. That outdamages Cascade of Blades half the time!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Haha. Seriously though that power's ridiculous. Grab Quick Loader, stand next to it, and take the Clockwork Engineer Paragon Path.
    This thing ain't on autopilot, son!

Sometime I'm gonna make an Artificer whose first lines in describing his job to his newfound allies is, "Hey look, buddy. I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems."