New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [4e] Greatspear Fighter build

Hey,
    I'm working on a fighter build on my current campaign. I'm aiming to, at lvl 8, have the following:

Feats:
    Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
    Mark of Storm
    Deadly Draw
    Polearm Momentum

Equipment:
    Lightning Greatspear
    Rushing Cleats

Now, this is how I understand this would work so please help me verify if I am correct:
    1.- Every time I hit anyone with any greatspear attack(after activating the "lightning" keyword on the greatspear) I would be able to slide the target 2 squares in any direction and knock it prone. Maintaining a combat advantage on all of them that were slid to a square adjacent to me until the end of my next turn.

2.- If using Rain of Blows to deal three consecutive attacks on the same target, I would be able to slide it a total of 6 squares, having combat advantage against him on attacks 2 and 3.

3.- If using Tempest Dance, I would be able to slide 3 targets 2 squares each and knock all three of them prone.

4.- This is a question. If using Footwork Lure, how would Mark of Storm and Rushing Cleats interact with the Footwork Lure's "slide the target 1 square into the square you left"?
    Last edited by Amarillo; 2011-01-18 at 10:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Greatspear Fighter build

1. - Correct.

2. - Correct, provided you hit with the first attack in order to get combat advantage for the second and third.

3. - Correct again.

4. - I'm not sure about RAW. I remember reading a FAQ or something on it, but I'm too lazy to go digging it up right now.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amarillo View Post
    2.- If using Rain of Blows to deal three consecutive attacks on the same target, I would be able to slide it a total of 6 squares,
    Yes, assuming that after the first slide, it's still in reach for your second attack.

4.- This is a question. If using Footwork Lure, how would Mark of Storm and Rushing Cleats interact with the Footwork Lure's "slide the target 1 square into the square you left"?
    It becomes "slide the target 2 squares into the square you left".
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Now, be careful. You're entirely reliant on your greatspear's enchantment to make the combo work. This means that at times you will have to skip out on an otherwise-stronger weapon...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Now, be careful. You're entirely reliant on your greatspear's enchantment to make the combo work. This means that at times you will have to skip out on an otherwise-stronger weapon...
    But once you hit Level 11, grab the feat Spear Push and you'll be able to grab a better weapon.

Also, I trust you've seen the Paragon Path Polearm Master?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    But once you hit Level 11, grab the feat Spear Push and you'll be able to grab a better weapon.

Also, I trust you've seen the Paragon Path Polearm Master?
    Spear Push only adds 1 square to your push, it doesn't actually initiate pushes/slides which is what his Mark of Storm + Lighting weapon combo does. But really, once you're at paragon, there's a ton of power at every level that has forced movements so just pick those and pick a feat that lets you push/slide on OAs/MBAs and you can grab a better spear.

The more powerful option for a polearm fighter is be a dragonborn and grab the draconic arrogance feat at paragon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    Spear Push only adds 1 square to your push, it doesn't actually initiate pushes/slides which is what his Mark of Storm + Lighting weapon combo does. But really, once you're at paragon, there's a ton of power at every level that has forced movements so just pick those and pick a feat that lets you push/slide on OAs/MBAs and you can grab a better spear.
    Right, but even if those feats do push/slide, they'll only push 1 square. Better to always have the guaranteed 2 squares and the prone to follow up with Polearm Momentum. Footwork Lure turns into "Okay, I want this guy prone at my feet".

Sliding is good, but being able to make that person stay in the square you put them in is always nice. The exception being of course if your striker is ranged, in which case that -2 penalty won't hurt them too badly if they've optimized correctly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Right, but even if those feats do push/slide, they'll only push 1 square. Better to always have the guaranteed 2 squares and the prone to follow up with Polearm Momentum. Footwork Lure turns into "Okay, I want this guy prone at my feet".
    Well I assumed that he's gonna take polearm master PP (really, who makes a polearm guy and don't take this PP) which adds 1 square to all forced movement anyways so you always get at least 2 squares.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You can make yourself a genasi and pick up shocking flame which adds lightning to all your spear attacks assuming you are a lightning genasi. Works at paragon and then you can use other weapons. At epic you can go dual soul style and add fire too for kicks.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-01-18 at 11:15 PM.