New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Zaaman-Rul] Mechanical Guide to Zaaman-Rul

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Is that so?
    I've done some minor stuff, yes, but nothing worth posting, sadly. Just some minor items and whatnot.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hm... are you ever going to update the Zealot abilities?

Also, would you mind if I built the Zealot of Death's Order?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

I realized how stupid it is putting the Gunslinger up in the other thread.

It is now currently open to really any race, and I made the fluff reflect that, just so you know. If you don't think that is appropriate, feel free to tell me, and I will make it human specific.

Gunslinger

[1]

“I deal only in steel.”

"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire."

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.”
    ~Rol Dech-Shein, Intolian Gunslinger, Walker of the Wastes

Gunslingers were originally the protectors of the citizenry of Intolar. They go places, and see things, that the zealots who fight against Khavghotan or protect the priests, could never imagine. They travel all across Intolar, destroying what evil they find, and protecting the peasants who try to live their lives through the savage and harsh times.

Now, their ranks (although not technically officially, since there is no official Gunslinger organization) include other races as well, working to protect all of the civilized parts of Zaaman-Rul from harm.

Gunslingers are sworn to an oath to destroy evil and protect the harmony of Intolar. They care not about race, or the amount of money a citizen may have. They care not even for the war in Khavghotan, and are just as willing to protect a goblinoid, elf, illithid, or trepek as a human, providing those creatures are not evil. The same goes for the other races.

BECOMING A GUNSLINGER
    Becoming a Gunslinger boils strictly down to having another Gunslinger train you until he considers you ready for Gunslinger-dom. It is truly a process unique to the Gunslinger who undertakes it, and very personal for both involved.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Diplomacy 9 ranks, Perception 4 ranks
    Feats: Point Blank Shot
    Proficiencies: Firearms
    Alignment: Any Good
    Special: Must have the Smite special ability, or the ability to cast 3rd level divine spells, or the Fighting Challenge special ability
    Special: Must be trained as a Gunslinger by another Gunslinger

Class Skills
    The Gunslinger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |Path of Word or Gun, Steady Hands, Gunslinger’s Oath

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |Fan the Hammer

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |The Flow of Ka, Trapfinding

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |Sharpshooter’s Eyes

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |Twisting Form

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |The Winds of Ka

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |Path of the White

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Rapid Reload

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Perfect Calm

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |Rain of Lead
    [/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Gunslinger gains proficiency with all non-exotic ranged weapons, but gains no proficiency with any armor or shields.

Gunslinger’s Oath: The Gunslinger makes a vow as part of his training that has the basic tenets of Gunslinger belief.

The oath states that the Gunslinger will do anything in his power in order to protect an innocent. If there is more than one innocent in danger, the Gunslinger must try to protect both, to the best of his abilities. That is all the basic oath states. Violating the oath causes the Gunslinger to lose any supernatural powers that he has gained from this class for a period of 24 hours. This oath supersedes and replaces any other class based oaths or codes that the Gunslinger might have.

Path of Word or Gun (Ex): The Gunslingers are formed of two branches, those who follow the word, and those who follow the gun. In truth, both use the guns, but the path of words uses magic in addition, in order to protect, while the path of gun uses the power of their sharpshooting hands to slay evil. If the Gunslinger was able to cast divine spells before entering this class, he may choose to progress his casting, instead of his long-arm prowess. At every level besides first and tenth, he adds a level to the levels of the divine casting class he was in before entering this class for the purposes of spells per day (and spells known, if applicable). He gains no other benefits of gaining a level in that class. If he had more than one divine spellcasting class before entering the Gunslinger class, he must choose which class gains the benefits of each level.

The Gunslinger may instead choose, however, to follow the path of the gun. If he does so, he reduces the penalties for offhand attacks made with the Two-Weapon Fighting line of feats by 1 point per class level, and gains a bonus to all ranged damage rolls equal to his Charisma modifier. Any time the Gunslinger makes a ranged full attack against a single creature, he may choose to force that creature to make a (DC 10 + Gunslinger levels + Charisma modifier) Will save or become unable to attack (with magic or physically) any creature besides the Gunslinger for 3 rounds. He may only have this ability active on one creature at a time.

Steady Hands (Ex): Gunslingers are trained to keep their hands steady, even during the most trying of times, so as to hit straight. This is one of the first, and also most important lessons that a gunslinger learns. The Gunslinger may take 10 on all ranged attack rolls, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand checks, even when under extreme duress such as during combat.

Fan the Hammer (Ex): A secret Gunslinger trick that allows the gunslinger to shoot rapidly, more rapidly than the eye can follow, and also allows the Gunslinger to use more than one gun, without losing his accuracy to falter. Starting at second level, the Gunslinger may reload his ranged weapon as a swift action, given he has the necessary ammunition, no matter how his hands are occupied. He may use this ability in the middle of his full attack, if necessary. In addition, he may make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus whenever he makes a full attack. This extra attack does not stack with other effects that grant extra attacks, unless they are given by Gunslinger class abilities.

Trapfinding (Ex): The Gunslinger can detect traps and other attempts on his life before his eyes can even see them, and disable them with his eternally steady hands. Starting at third level, he gains the effects of the Trapfinding special ability, as the Rogue ability.

The Flow of Ka (Ex): Ka, a word that translates to something like “fate”, is the force that guides all Gunslingers, and all of existance. The Gunslinger knows the flow of Ka, and can follow its path with extreme accuracy. Starting at third level, the Gunslinger gains a +20 Insight bonus to base land speed.

Sharpshooter’s Eyes (Ex): The Gunslinger’s eyes are specially trained to catch every detail in any situation that is presented to them, careful to look closer than many would think possible. Starting at fourth level, the Gunslinger gains a bonus to all saving throws made against Illusion spells and all Perception checks equal to his Charisma modifier. He may, once per day as a standard action, gain the effects of the See Invisibility spell, with a caster level equal to his Character level (this effect is mundane, simply the extremely precise eyesight of the Gunslinger, and cannot be dispelled). The effect only lasts for up to one minute, or until the end of the encounter, whichever comes first. In addition, the Gunslinger permanently gains the benefits of the Detect Evil spell. This is a supernatural effect. If he already had an ability that granted him the effects of the Detect Evil spell, the range of the spell doubles.

Twisting Form (Ex): The Gunslinger is able to twist his form to avoid oncoming attacks, and has especially quick reflexes that beggar imagination. Starting at fifth level, the Gunslinger gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to half his Gunslinger levels, rounded down. Once per encounter, the Gunslinger may, as a swift action, twist and bend, avoiding attacks wherever they come. He gains a 20% miss chance, which increases to a 40% miss chance against ranged attacks. This effect lasts for 1 round.

The Winds of Ka (Ex): The Gunslinger has learned to follow his Ka to wherever it takes him. Starting at sixth level, the Gunslinger may move like the wind. As a swift action, he may move up to half of his base land speed. He may use this ability at will.

Path of the White (Su): The Gunslinger follows the path of the White, that of truth and justice. The Gunslinger, while following a path of death, can reduce the pain and injuries of others through a reassuring touch, a simple word, or a kind look. Starting at seventh level, the Gunslinger may heal one target within 10 feet as a swift action, for a number of hit points equal to the Gunslinger’s Charisma modifier d6 damage. A creature healed in this way may only benefit from this ability once per encounter. The Gunslinger may not heal himself with this ability. The Gunslinger may not use this ability outside of combat.

Rapid Reload (Ex): The Gunslinger is trained to be able to reload as swiftly as possible, faster than may seem possible. Starting at eighth level, he may reload all ranged weapons he is currently wielding as a free action at any time. In addition, he may make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus -5 when he makes a ranged full attack. This extra attack does not stack with other effects that grant extra attacks, unless they are given by Gunslinger class abilities.

Perfect Calm (Ex): The Gunslinger may make his hands less stable in order to have a chance of hitting his opponent harder, and his calm becomes piercingly frightening. Starting at ninth level, the Gunslinger may automatically make a critical hit on the next ranged attack that he makes that hits a target, a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier. He must actually roll a dice in order to gain this benefit. In addition, he gains a Morale bonus to Intimidate checks, all saving throws made against fear effects, and against all effects that change the Gunslinger’s emotions (such as the rage spell, the crushing despair spell, etc etc) equal to his Charisma modifier.

Rain of Lead (Ex): The Gunslinger can shoot his enemies, no matter the angle, no matter the cover, and with precise accuracy. However, doing so is incredibly tiring, and the ultimate technique of the Gunslingers. Starting at tenth level, the Gunslinger may, once per day, as a full round action, make a single ranged attack roll, and use it against every enemy within 100 feet of himself. These attacks do not consume ammunition. Any attack that connects deals double normal damage. This attack ignores cover and concealment. However, in the process of this attack, the Gunslinger becomes exhausted, as the condition, for the rest of the encounter.

PLAYING A GUNSLINGER
    Gunslingers play very, very similarly to Paladins or Knights, albeit with guns or ranged weapons. Even the spellcasting Gunslingers still act like a Paladin in general.
    Combat: Most Gunslingers begin and maintain combat from range. They are able to move quite swiftly, and as such may move quite a bit around the battlefield, in addition to their ranged abilities, especially when he gains the Flow of Ka and the Winds of Ka abilities.
    Advancement: Advancement after the Gunslinger class basically amounts to the previous class you had, or a prestige class designed for that class. For instance, a Cleric 6/Gunslinger 10 could take a level of a Divine Spellcasting progression prestige class, or another level of Cleric, although those appear to be the more solid options. Because there are so few ranged prestige classes for the other entry classes, it is mostly likely in the interest of the player to continue with more of the base class levels.
    Resources: The Gunslingers can rely on a large amount of local help, especially from the people they are best known to protect. Most races protect their own people, but they cannot refuse an innocent or good creature in danger.

GUNSLINGERS IN THE WORLD
    ”Rol, he was a strange one. He blew into town one day, like the winds of fate. He changed us, and although some say not for the better, I think otherwise. We had been having a problem with some local bandits, and he took notice of our problem, and asked the Three, danced his dance, and took care of our problem. He never returned, but we always remember him in our prayers to the Ten.”
    Brother Eustace Or-Tal, priest of Slortar in the hamlet of Hirrias-Mar, by the southern border

Gunslingers are especially looked up to, especially by peasantry, or those unable to defend themselves. Although the Gunslingers take upon a different role in society based on the path they take, either word or gun, they are still especially respected. Gunslingers of the word tend to become healers or wise men, while those of the gun become protectors and vigilantes, although in the barren lands of Zaaman-Rul, one could say that there is no justice besides the cold bite of lead.
    Daily Life: Most Gunslingers spend some time of their day practicing with their ranged weapons, be it guns, bows, or even slings (sling wielding Gunslingers are rare, but not unheard of). The name Gunslinger implies only that they follow the path of the Gunslinger and the oath thereof, not that they directly wield guns. The most famous Gunslingers, of Intolar, do wield guns, but they are not the only race.
    Notables: Rol Dech-Shein, Walker of the Wastes, is one of the most famous Gunslingers, at least in Intolar. He has been sighted in just about every smaller town in the outer edge of Intolar. It is said he constantly wanders, searching for his lost love, who died years ago. He has been called cruel, or harsh, but he follows his path relentlessly, and he keeps his oath, no matter the cost.
    Organizations: The Gunslingers, although they used to have an extensive organization, were forced to disband out by the church, and replaced by Zealots of Donblas and more local constabulary. It was not a cruel decision, for having multiple organizations that worked for peace meant confusion and miscommunication where they could not potentially afford them, and the Order of the Gunslingers understood and disbanded voluntarily. The individual Gunslingers were spread to the four winds, to take on apprentices and seek justice on a local level. Outside of Intolar, the Gunslingers have never really had a large enough presence to warrant any organizations.

NPC Reaction
    Gunslingers are almost universally loved by the peasantry that have interacted with them. They are very well regarded all around, as both justice bringers and healers, and they are given the same kinds of respect as Paladins.

GUNSLINGERS IN THE GAME
    Gunslingers are not an especially strong class, for although they do have a rather strong chassis, including full Base Attack Bonus, good Ref, medium will, a d10 hit dice, the caster section of the class loses two caster levels in order to gain mostly martial benefits, and the martial side of the class remains only martial, with many of their class abilities not even functioning with the Gunslinger class abilities without extra investment (this is intentional).
    Adaptation: This fluff is specifically for the Zaaman-Rul campaign setting, but there is another version with more generalized fluff for any kind of campaign setting. Really, a ranged Paladin, Cleric or Knight is kind of already shoehorned into a few key roles, but the fluff isn’t entirely necessary to the concept of the class.
    Encounters: Most encounters with a Gunslinger, unless the party is entirely evil, will be relatively peaceful. The Gunslinger might indeed help the party against a foe if he thought they needed it.

My Main Question:
    Should I remove an additional caster level, or is this good? I worry because the chassis is really nice, and the cleric still gets 9th level spells, as long as he doesn't mess up his endgame progression, and the class features, while being for martial (well, fighting characters, since they are technically ranged) aren't as useful as casting features but still pretty nice. I could see it going both ways, so what do you guys think?
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-15 at 03:53 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Enhanced Telepathy
    Your race’s naturally weak telepathy has been expanded through constant practice and intense training.
    Prerequisites: Intelligence 15, Dwarf, Hivemind ability
    Benefits: You gain true Telepathy, out to 100 feet. It is not as strong as Illithid telepathy, but it has the same ability to disrupt Hiveminds. You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks with creatures that can speak to mind to mind via Telepathy, such as the Illithids. You take a -4 penalty to all Charisma based skill checks with Dwarves who are bound to a city hivemind.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-18 at 02:28 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I realized how stupid it is putting the Gunslinger up in the other thread.
    I didn't even notice. Shows what happens when I have a D&D game one day, eh? 'Twas the finale of my campaign, so it was kind of a big deal for me.

It is now currently open to really any race, and I made the fluff reflect that, just so you know. If you don't think that is appropriate, feel free to tell me, and I will make it human specific.
    We'll see. Goblinoids don't really use guns (well, they do, but they don't produce their own guns, instead scavenging what they can). Illithid weaponry is more advanced than Intolian firearm technology and uses different rules, so it simply may not be compatible. Alykandorian weapons probably are though.

Gunslinger

[1]

“I deal only in steel.”

"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire."

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.”
    ~Rol Dech-Shein, Intolian Gunslinger, Walker of the Wastes
    All fine looking.

Gunslingers were originally the protectors of the citizenry of Intolar. They go places, and see things, that the zealots who fight against Khavghotan or protect the priests, could never imagine. They travel all across Intolar, destroying what evil they find, and protecting the peasants who try to live their lives through the savage and harsh times.

Now, their ranks (although not technically officially, since there is no official Gunslinger organization) include other races as well, working to protect all of the civilized parts of Zaaman-Rul from harm.

Gunslingers are sworn to an oath to destroy evil and protect the harmony of Intolar. They care not about race, or the amount of money a citizen may have. They care not even for the war in Khavghotan, and are just as willing to protect a goblinoid, elf, illithid, or trepek as a human, providing those creatures are not evil. The same goes for the other races.
    Minor thoughts.

1. Zealots go basically everywhere, doing what they have to in order to fulfill their tasks. Where are Gunslingers going that Zealots aren't?

2. Otherwise, seems fine. Though one wonders, how'd they go from humanocentric to all races allowed? That's a tough shift, given Intolian bias.

BECOMING A GUNSLINGER
    Becoming a Gunslinger boils strictly down to having another Gunslinger train you until he considers you ready for Gunslinger-dom. It is truly a process unique to the Gunslinger who undertakes it, and very personal for both involved.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Diplomacy 9 ranks, Spot 4 ranks
    Feats: Point Blank Shot
    Proficiencies: Firearms
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Special: Must have the Smite special ability, or the ability to cast 3rd level divine spells, or the Fighting Challenge special ability
    Special: Must be trained as a Gunslinger by another Gunslinger
    1. Spot should be Perception. Z-R uses combined skills.

2. Change the alignment to "Any Good" please. They can protect the innocent just fine as LG, NG, or CG, and nothing I saw above convinces me otherwise.

Class Skills
    The Gunslinger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int
    You require Perception, but don't gain it as a class skill? Odd.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |Path of Word or Gun, Steady Hands, Gunslinger’s Oath

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |Fan the Hammer

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |The Flow of Ka, Trapfinding

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |Sharpshooter’s Eyes

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |Twisting Form

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |Perfect Calm

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |Path of the White

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Rapid Reload

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |The Winds of Ka

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |Rain of Lead
    [/table]
    Full class tables make me a happy camper.

Weapon Proficiencies: The Gunslinger gains proficiency with all ranged weapons, but gains no proficiency with any armor or shields.
    Can we make that all non-exotic ranged weapons? There's some weapons that I'd like to keep somewhat difficult to acquire.

Gunslinger’s Oath: The Gunslinger makes a vow as part of his training that has the basic tenets of Gunslinger belief.

The oath states that the Gunslinger will do anything in his power in order to protect an innocent. If there is more than one innocent in danger, the Gunslinger must try to protect both, to the best of his abilities. That is all the basic oath states. Violating the oath causes the Gunslinger to lose any supernatural powers that he has gained from this class for a period of 24 hours. This oath supersedes and replaces any other class based oaths or codes that the Gunslinger might have.
    On one hand, I like the feel of this. On the other, I dislike that it supersedes other oaths. That feels like a possible point of abuse ("oh, I can get out of this restrictive oath by taking a level in gunslinger then just ignoring the class? Sweet!"). Now, I'm all for DM oversight, but still, seems an issue. Perhaps if this was in addition to your normal oaths?

Path of Word or Gun: The Gunslingers are formed of two branches, those who follow the word, and those who follow the gun. In truth, both use the guns, but the path of words uses magic in addition, in order to protect, while the path of gun uses the power of their sharpshooting hands to slay evil. If the Gunslinger was able to cast divine spells before entering this class, he may choose to progress his casting, instead of his long-arm prowess. At every level besides first and tenth, he adds a level to the levels of the divine casting class he was in before entering this class for the purposes of spells per day (and spells known, if applicable). He gains no other benefits of gaining a level in that class. If he had more than one divine spellcasting class before entering the Gunslinger class, he must choose which class gains the benefits of each level.
    Ok, seems chill.

The Gunslinger may also choose, however, to follow the path of the gun. If he does so, he gains a bonus to all ranged attack rolls equal to his Gunslinger level, and gains a bonus to all ranged damage rolls equal to his Charisma modifier. Any time the Gunslinger makes a ranged full attack against a single creature, he may choose to force that creature to make a (DC 10 + Gunslinger levels + Charisma modifier) or become unable to attack (with magic or physically) any creature besides the Gunslinger for 3 rounds. He may only have this ability active on one creature at a time.
    The wording of the first sentence should be altered slightly, to keep it from seeming like you can take both. Change it to "The Gunslinger may instead choose to follow the path of the gun." That's more exclusive and makes it a clearer binary choice.

I like the bonuses, but the taunt-like ability needs some clarification. When does he force the save? When he declares his attacks? Does he need to actually hit them? Is this a supernatural ability? Extraordinary?

Steady Hands: Gunslingers are trained to keep their hands steady, even during the most trying of times, so as to hit straight. This is one of the first, and also most important lessons that a gunslinger learns. The Gunslinger may take 10 on all ranged attack rolls, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand checks, even when under extreme duress such as during combat.
    Wooooooooooooah, taking ten on attack rolls? I don't know of precedent for that effect. Not saying it's bad, but kinda unexpected. I'm not sure I like this, but I don't see how it could possibly be overpowering so I'm fine with it.

Fan the Hammer (Ex): A secret Gunslinger trick that allows the gunslinger to shoot rapidly, more rapidly than the eye can follow, and also allows the Gunslinger to use more than one gun, without losing his accuracy to falter. Starting at second level, the Gunslinger may reload his ranged weapon as a swift action, given he has the necessary ammunition, no matter how his hands are occupied. He may use this ability in the middle of his full attack, if necessary. In addition, he may make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus whenever he makes a full attack.
    Does the extra attack stack with other sources of extra attacks, like haste and the speed property? Those both include a clause saying they don't stack with like, but this doesn't. Also, supernatural ability? Extraordinary?

Trapfinding (Ex): The Gunslinger can detect traps and other attempts on his life before his eyes can even see them, and disable them with his eternally steady hands. Starting at third level, he gains the effects of the Trapfinding special ability, as the Rogue ability.
    Seems somewhat out of place, but ok.

The Flow of Ka (Su): Ka, a word that translates to something like “fate”, is the force that guides all Gunslingers, and all of existance. The Gunslinger knows the flow of Ka, and can follow its path with extreme accuracy. Starting at third level, the Gunslinger gains a +20 Insight bonus to base land speed.
    See Trapfinding.

Sharpshooter’s Eyes (Ex): The Gunslinger’s eyes are specially trained to catch every detail in any situation that is presented to them, careful to look closer than many would think possible. Starting at fourth level, the Gunslinger gains a bonus to all saving throws made against Illusion spells and all spot checks equal to his Charisma modifier. He may, once per day as a standard action, gain the effects of the See Invisibility spell, with a caster level equal to his Character level (this effect is mundane, simply the extremely precise eyesight of the Gunslinger, and cannot be dispelled). The effect only lasts for up to one minute, or until the end of the encounter, whichever comes first. In addition, the Gunslinger permanently gains the benefits of the Detect Evil spell. This is a supernatural effect. If he already had an ability that granted him the effects of the Detect Evil spell, the range of the spell doubles.
    Spot should be Perception. Otherwise, seems fine, if again somewhat out of place. I'm not familiar with the source material, and that's proving to be problematic.

Twisting Form (Ex): The Gunslinger is able to twist his form to avoid oncoming attacks, and has especially quick reflexes that beggar imagination. Starting at fifth level, the Gunslinger gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to half his Gunslinger levels, rounded down. Once per encounter, the Gunslinger may, as a swift action, twist and bend, avoiding attacks wherever they come. He gains a 20% miss chance, which increases to a 40% miss chance against ranged attacks. This effect lasts for 1 round.
    Seems fine.

Perfect Calm : The Gunslinger’s hands become even more solid and stable, and his calm is piercing, and almost frightening. Starting at sixth level, the Gunslinger may take 15 on all ranged attack rolls, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand checks, even when under extreme duress such as during combat. In addition, he gains a Morale bonus to all saving throws made against fear effects, and against all effects that change the Gunslinger’s emotions (such as the rage spell, the crushing despair spell, etc etc).
    Um, ok, take 15 on ranged attacks strikes me as being pretty good. What if we made it so he can automatically confirm criticals x/day, where x is some number?

Path of the White (Su): The Gunslinger follows the path of the White, that of truth and justice. The Gunslinger, while following a path of death, can reduce the pain and injuries of others through a reassuring touch, a simple word, or a kind look. Starting at seventh level, the Gunslinger may heal one target within 10 feet as a swift action, for a number of hit points equal to the Gunslinger’s Charisma modifier d6 damage. A creature healed in this way may only benefit from this ability once per encounter. The Gunslinger may not heal himself with this ability.
    This makes basically zero sense as I see it. This is a gunslinger, and while yes, he can have a divine background, why would non-divine gunslingers (which seem like they should be a viable archetype) gain healing? Is there a fluff thing that explains this further and that I just don't know? If so, I'd like to hear it, so I understand this one better.

Rapid Reload (Ex): The Gunslinger is trained to be able to reload as swiftly as possible, faster than may seem possible. Starting at eighth level, he may reload all ranged weapons he is currently wielding as a free action at any time. In addition, he may make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus -5 when he makes a ranged full attack.
    Presumably, this stacks with Fan the Hammer, but does it stack with haste/speed/etc?

The Winds of Ka (Su): The Gunslinger has learned to follow his Ka to wherever it takes him. Starting at ninth level, the Gunslinger may move like the wind. As a swift action, he may move up to half of his base land speed. He may use this ability at will.
    Ok, seems fine.

Rain of Lead (Ex): The Gunslinger can shoot his enemies, no matter the angle, no matter the cover, and with precise accuracy. However, doing so is incredibly tiring, and the ultimate technique of the Gunslingers. Starting at tenth level, the Gunslinger may, once per day, as a full round action, make a single ranged attack roll, and use it against every enemy within 100 feet of himself. These attacks do not consume ammunition. If the ranged attack roll exceeds or equals the enemy’s armor class, that enemy takes damage as if the Gunslinger had hit them with his ranged weapon. The damage from this attack is doubled. Any attack that connects deals double normal damage. This attack ignores cover and concealment. However, in the process of this attack, the Gunslinger becomes exhausted, as the condition, for the rest of the encounter, and takes 6d6 nonlethal damage.
    So, a 1/day super AoE. Seems fine. Actually perhaps a little underpowered. Nix the nonlethal damage, exhausted is bad enough. Also, the wording can be cleaned up a little. I've marked the change above. There's no need to be obtuse about the wording there, players are generally pretty sharp and will understand the meaning of "anything that hits deals 2x dmg"

PLAYING A GUNSLINGER
    Gunslingers play very, very similarly to Paladins or Knights, albeit with guns or ranged weapons. Even the spellcasting Gunslingers still act like a Paladin in general.
    Combat: Most Gunslingers begin and maintain combat from range. They are able to move quite swiftly, and as such may move quite a bit around the battlefield, in addition to their ranged abilities, especially when he gains the Flow of Ka and the Winds of Ka abilities.
    Advancement: Advancement after the Gunslinger class basically amounts to the previous class you had, or a prestige class designed for that class. For instance, a Cleric 6/Gunslinger 10 could take a level of a Divine Spellcasting progression prestige class, or another level of Cleric, although those appear to be the more solid options. Because there are so few ranged prestige classes for the other entry classes, it is mostly likely in the interest of the player to continue with more of the base class levels.
    Resources: The Gunslingers can rely on a large amount of local help, especially from the people they are best known to protect. Most races protect their own people, but they cannot refuse an innocent or good creature in danger.
    Seems fine. The movement abilities do work well, though they're not the most friendly vis a vis full attacking until level 9, but that's workable. Good class to get skirmish into somehow.

GUNSLINGERS IN THE WORLD
    ”Rol, he was a strange one. He blew into town one day, like the winds of fate. He changed us, and although some say not for the better, I think otherwise. We had been having a problem with some local bandits, and he took notice of our problem, and asked the Three, danced his dance, and took care of our problem. He never returned, but we always remember him in our prayers to the Ten.”
    Brother Eustace Or-Tal, priest of Slortar in the hamlet of Hirrias-Mar, by the southern border

Gunslingers are especially looked up to, especially by peasantry, or those unable to defend themselves. Although the Gunslingers take upon a different role in society based on the path they take, either word or gun, they are still especially respected. Gunslingers of the word tend to become healers or wise men, while those of the gun become protectors and vigilantes, although in the barren lands of Zaaman-Rul, one could say that there is no justice besides the cold bite of lead.
    Daily Life: Most Gunslingers spend some time of their day practicing with their ranged weapons, be it guns, bows, or even slings (sling wielding Gunslingers are rare, but not unheard of). The name Gunslinger implies only that they follow the path of the Gunslinger and the oath thereof, not that they directly wield guns. The most famous Gunslingers, of Intolar, do wield guns, but they are not the only race.
    Notables: Rol Dech-Shein, Walker of the Wastes, is one of the most famous Gunslingers, at least in Intolar. He has been sighted in just about every smaller town in the outer edge of Intolar. It is said he constantly wanders, searching for his lost love, who died years ago. He has been called cruel, or harsh, but he follows his path relentlessly, and he keeps his oath, no matter the cost.
    Organizations: The Gunslingers, although they used to have an extensive organization, were forced to disband out by the church, and replaced by Zealots of Donblas and more local constabulary. It was not a cruel decision, for having multiple organizations that worked for peace meant confusion and miscommunication where they could not potentially afford them, and the Order of the Gunslingers understood and disbanded voluntarily. The individual Gunslingers were spread to the four winds, to take on apprentices and seek justice on a local level. Outside of Intolar, the Gunslingers have never really had a large enough presence to warrant any organizations.

NPC Reaction
    Gunslingers are almost universally loved by the peasantry that have interacted with them. They are very well regarded all around, as both justice bringers and healers, and they are given the same kinds of respect as Paladins.
    Good lore.

GUNSLINGERS IN THE GAME
    Gunslingers are not an especially strong class, for although they do have a rather strong chassis, including full Base Attack Bonus, good Ref, medium will, a d10 hit dice, the caster section of the class loses two caster levels in order to gain mostly martial benefits, and the martial side of the class remains only martial, with many of their class abilities not even functioning with the Gunslinger class abilities without extra investment (this is intentional).
    Adaptation: This fluff is specifically for the Zaaman-Rul campaign setting, but there is another version with more generalized fluff for any kind of campaign setting. Really, a ranged Paladin, Cleric or Knight is kind of already shoehorned into a few key roles, but the fluff isn’t entirely necessary to the concept of the class.
    Encounters: Most encounters with a Gunslinger, unless the party is entirely evil, will be relatively peaceful. The Gunslinger might indeed help the party against a foe if he thought they needed it.
    Seems fine as well.

My Main Question:
    Should I remove an additional caster level, or is this good? I worry because the chassis is really nice, and the cleric still gets 9th level spells, as long as he doesn't mess up his endgame progression, and the class features, while being for martial (well, fighting characters, since they are technically ranged) aren't as useful as casting features but still pretty nice. I could see it going both ways, so what do you guys think?
    There's a handful of class abilities that don't make a lot of sense to me. To be fair, I'm not super familiar with The Dark Tower, so that may be the concern. Overall, beyond the take 15 thing, I see no power issues of any kind. Sure, clerics are still lolwtfbbq, but they always have been and that's their problem, not the gunslingers.

Generally, I like it. It sets out to make a mobile Good ranged combatant and I feel like it generally succeeds. I was expecting something quite different, so it took me somewhat by surprise, but that's not a bad thing. Let's clean up the wording, work on a take 15 replacement, and do a few other minor tweaks and I'll include it in the PrC post with pride.

Oh, and as for other races... yeah, illithid weapons technology tends to work on a "cooldown" system, not a reload system, so they're not super useful for this class really. I guess enough races could make use of it that leaving it open is probably best though.

Enhanced Telepathy
    Your race’s naturally weak telepathy has been expanded through constant practice and intense training.
    Prerequisites: Intelligence 17, Dwarf, Hivemind ability
    Benefits: You gain true Telepathy, out to 100 feet. It is not as strong as Illithid telepathy, but it has the same ability to disrupt Hiveminds. You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks with creatures that can speak to mind to mind via Telepathy, such as the Illithids. You take a -4 penalty to all Charisma based skill checks with Dwarves who are bound to a city hivemind.
    I don't disapprove, but I do wonder why this would ever matter. It would also basically serve as a "you're exiled" button, since having you in a hivecity would be nightmarish for everyone else. Can I ask what prompted this feat?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I didn't even notice. Shows what happens when I have a D&D game one day, eh? 'Twas the finale of my campaign, so it was kind of a big deal for me.
    Well, I hope it was good for you and your players.

We'll see. Goblinoids don't really use guns (well, they do, but they don't produce their own guns, instead scavenging what they can). Illithid weaponry is more advanced than Intolian firearm technology and uses different rules, so it simply may not be compatible. Alykandorian weapons probably are though.
    I think I mentioned this in the fluff, but Gunslinger isn't literally "someone who wields a gun." It is more of the original name, from the original organization of Gunslingers, who did, but the ranks have opened up, and the Gunslingers are basically just ranged weapon focused, not gun focused per se.

Minor thoughts.

1. Zealots go basically everywhere, doing what they have to in order to fulfill their tasks. Where are Gunslingers going that Zealots aren't?

2. Otherwise, seems fine. Though one wonders, how'd they go from humanocentric to all races allowed? That's a tough shift, given Intolian bias.
    1. Gunslingers basically act as Sheriffs, but they travel everywhere. There are only so many Zealots, and not all (not even most, from what I can tell) are dedicated to justice. Although there is probably a local police-like force, the Gunslingers help provide the extra guns for those forces in times when the Zealots are not around. Because of the relative size of Intolar, I assumed there would have to be some number of outlying towns that live far away from the capitol, and as such, are far away from much of the zealots and other forms of justice. It is in those places that the Gunslingers function.

2. The oath is the main thing. The first Gunslinger, who I am just going to go with Rol Dech-Shan, in this case, had implemented vast policies of friendliness to all creatures as long as they do not prove to be evil; this makes sense, since the Gunslingers are mostly founded by Paladins or on Paladin principles, and such tenets make sense from Paladin perspectives. Because of the oath and the idea of acceptance that was already harbored (and mayhaps was part of why they were shut down by the clergy, who knows) remained, and spread, allowing other races to join the humans.

1. Spot should be Perception. Z-R uses combined skills.

2. Change the alignment to "Any Good" please. They can protect the innocent just fine as LG, NG, or CG, and nothing I saw above convinces me otherwise.
    1. Herp-derp, forgot that you changed those skills.

2. No problem. That is probably a good idea, now that I think of it.

You require Perception, but don't gain it as a class skill? Odd.
    Yeah, I thought I had it on the skill list, but apparently not. My bad.

Can we make that all non-exotic ranged weapons? There's some weapons that I'd like to keep somewhat difficult to acquire.
    Yeah, no problem.

On one hand, I like the feel of this. On the other, I dislike that it supersedes other oaths. That feels like a possible point of abuse ("oh, I can get out of this restrictive oath by taking a level in gunslinger then just ignoring the class? Sweet!"). Now, I'm all for DM oversight, but still, seems an issue. Perhaps if this was in addition to your normal oaths?
    The idea is that while the Paladin oath is nice and good, there are some instances where it is just too restrictive, especially since Gunslingers have to deal with a lot of stuff that is relatively ambiguous, and that they need to have all of their tools at the ready. In addition, the Knight Oath is really restrictive in a way that doesn't really jive with the class. Maybe it should be "in specific instances, the Gunslinger's Oath supersedes other oaths."? I don't think that wording makes the most sense, though.

Much of the Gunslinger Oath can be just as restrictive as a difficult oath, so that doesn't make very much sense to me. In addition to your normal oaths, those other oaths could get in the way of your ability to go through with the Gunslinger's Oath, which is part of what I was worried about.

The wording of the first sentence should be altered slightly, to keep it from seeming like you can take both. Change it to "The Gunslinger may instead choose to follow the path of the gun." That's more exclusive and makes it a clearer binary choice.
    Okay.

I like the bonuses, but the taunt-like ability needs some clarification. When does he force the save? When he declares his attacks? Does he need to actually hit them? Is this a supernatural ability? Extraordinary?
    He forces the save when he declares his full attack. It is a supernatural ability. I will clarify.

Wooooooooooooah, taking ten on attack rolls? I don't know of precedent for that effect. Not saying it's bad, but kinda unexpected. I'm not sure I like this, but I don't see how it could possibly be overpowering so I'm fine with it.
    I think there is a precedent for it somewhere, probably from the Devoted Spirit discipline from ToB. Still, it isn't really altogether that powerful, and it certainly fits their fluff to a T.

Does the extra attack stack with other sources of extra attacks, like haste and the speed property? Those both include a clause saying they don't stack with like, but this doesn't. Also, supernatural ability? Extraordinary?
    Yes it does. Extraordinary. If there is no mentioning of the supernaturality of the ability, one can easily assume (and it should not need any more clarification within ability) that it is also extraordinary.

Seems somewhat out of place, but ok.
    Mostly because of the steady hands take ten effect, and otherwise having no use for Disable Device (which I kind of blame on the developers, since you can't use the fricking ability past DC 20 unless you have this ability).

See Trapfinding.
    Why? They are sharpshooters, yes, but moreover, they must travel, and they are swift. Yes, some have horses (and I am tempted to add a bit about increasing any mount's land speed as well), but there will be a time when all will have to walk on their own feet, and the Gunslingers must always be ready.

Spot should be Perception. Otherwise, seems fine, if again somewhat out of place. I'm not familiar with the source material, and that's proving to be problematic.
    How is a sharpshooter having good eyes out of place? Its practically in the job description. In addition, Gunslingers are in cannon trained to use their eyes to the fullest extent.

Um, ok, take 15 on ranged attacks strikes me as being pretty good. What if we made it so he can automatically confirm criticals x/day, where x is some number?
    What if I switched this to a higher level? I was thinking about switching it with Winds of Ka, since the skirmish like abilities are more useful at lower levels, and the effect of Perfect Calm is kind of powerful.

This makes basically zero sense as I see it. This is a gunslinger, and while yes, he can have a divine background, why would non-divine gunslingers (which seem like they should be a viable archetype) gain healing? Is there a fluff thing that explains this further and that I just don't know? If so, I'd like to hear it, so I understand this one better.
    Dude, have you seen the entry classes? All but knight are divine. And knight is practically already there. I needed something to cement this class in being a Gunslinger who is fundamentally good, and not just some guy who can shoot and fight really well. It isn't a cannon ability, but it seems to fit pretty well. I could change it to an extraordinary ability, since the Gunslinger isn't actually really using magic or anything like that for the effect.

Presumably, this stacks with Fan the Hammer, but does it stack with haste/speed/etc?
    It stacks with Fan the Hammer and haste/speed, was what I was thinking.

So, a 1/day super AoE. Seems fine. Actually perhaps a little underpowered. Nix the nonlethal damage, exhausted is bad enough. Also, the wording can be cleaned up a little. I've marked the change above. There's no need to be obtuse about the wording there, players are generally pretty sharp and will understand the meaning of "anything that hits deals 2x dmg"
    Okay.

Seems fine. The movement abilities do work well, though they're not the most friendly vis a vis full attacking until level 9, but that's workable. Good class to get skirmish into somehow.
    See above point about moving around Winds of Ka and Perfect Calm.

There's a handful of class abilities that don't make a lot of sense to me. To be fair, I'm not super familiar with The Dark Tower, so that may be the concern. Overall, beyond the take 15 thing, I see no power issues of any kind. Sure, clerics are still lolwtfbbq, but they always have been and that's their problem, not the gunslingers.
    Okay.

Generally, I like it. It sets out to make a mobile Good ranged combatant and I feel like it generally succeeds. I was expecting something quite different, so it took me somewhat by surprise, but that's not a bad thing. Let's clean up the wording, work on a take 15 replacement, and do a few other minor tweaks and I'll include it in the PrC post with pride.
    What exactly were you expecting?

Oh, and as for other races... yeah, illithid weapons technology tends to work on a "cooldown" system, not a reload system, so they're not super useful for this class really. I guess enough races could make use of it that leaving it open is probably best though.
    Again, the reloading abilities can work on just about any ranged weapon that has ammunition (which means all of the bows, crossbows, guns, and slings).

I don't disapprove, but I do wonder why this would ever matter. It would also basically serve as a "you're exiled" button, since having you in a hivecity would be nightmarish for everyone else. Can I ask what prompted this feat?
    The Hivemaster class. Because the class is entirely devoted to strengthening your own personal hive, the class needed some reason that the hivemasters don't just stay in the hivecities and strengthen those hives. The fluff is that in order to achieve the mental strength enough to be able to manipulate the mental connections that create a hive, so as to boost hive members, heal them, give them orders, etc etc, the dwarf needs quite strong telepathy. This means that they need to take the feat to get into the class. So it serves a double purpose, really. Also, it helps for background for players with dwarf characters that might want to play in games.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367

Hm... are you ever going to update the Zealot abilities?

Also, would you mind if I built the Zealot of Death's Order?
    This was evidently missed. Either way, some possible Death's Order abilities:

3rd level: Spontaneously growing extra arms out of the body and having them disappear later in the day doesn't exactly seem like a god of evil and chaos-type thing. What might be better is instead the ability to, as a swift action after successfully hitting an opponent, deal damage equal to the damage dealt to that opponent to each creature within 15ft. This both cries out to mass slaughter-based zealots, suicidal tendencies (you hit yourself and nearby heal-bots/allies), and single target destruction, as you also hit the opponent twice with the same blow. Albeit while hitting yourself with it. It's a double-edged sword, which this Zealot probably wouldn't mind. It's a sword. With two edges. Possibly also alter the second-level ability to make it so that whenever they take damage, they deal acid damage equal to their strength modifier to each creature within 5ft (or 10ft), so that their burning blood doesn't shoot across battlefields at archers, or run up the shafts of polearm-wielders impaling the guy. It also paints him as more dangerous and an outcast, something that seems implied in his fluff- but now, no one wants to stand within 5ft (or maybe even touch him with a 10ft pole, depending on the range), as you could get hit with burning blood at something like a fly bite, an archer's arrow, a trap... just about anything, really. Possibly also one of the reasons medics use ranged suits to heal warriors- do not want to go near crazy bloodthirsty demon who'll bleed all over you. And burn. And cut you. Note that this ability might not be capped at uses/encounter, as they are supposed to be able to go on all day... though it has natural limits, such as your hit point total and intelligence. Possibly flavor the way the damage is dealt as ripping your opponent's blood out of their body, countless bloody arms reaching out of you and cutting anyone near you, and so on.

4th level: Visage of Death: To sow chaos and destruction among Intolar's foes, Xiombarg grants his Zealots to tap into his ever-changing form, giving them the power to twist their bodies into the forms of those they've slain in battle, forcing enemies to watch their friends, bodies grotesquely warped, slaying them and their friends, charging around the battlefield killing everything in sight. When the Zealot slays a foe, they may choose to take the form of the fallen foe, as per the Alter Self spell, except that they do not gain the fallen foe's physical attributes. Instead, for each physical stat, they gain their own or the foes's, whichever is higher. For example, if a Reaper slays a goblin opponent with 10 Str, 15 Dex, and 12 Con, and their own physical abilities are 20 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, after they take the form of their opponent, their Dexterity is improved to 15 until the alter self effect ends. Attributes gained from multiple foes stack- for example, if the Reaper above slayed an Ogre with 22 Str, 8 Dex, and 18 Con, their stats would become 22 Str, 15 Dex, and 18 Con. However, when the effect finally ends, their stats revert to normal. If a Reaper slays a non-humanoid foe, their visage and body seem to become a cross between the form they are in and that of the slain foe- for example, after they slay a worg, their appearance shifts to become that of a half-human half-worg beast. However, they still change their physical stats as if they had fully transformed into the creature. When they change forms, they gain hit points as if they gained a full night's rest.

(Wording choppy. Ability hopefully properly convoluted. It also gives a very good reason for the discrimination against these Zealots, aside from their killing everything near them- they stop being human, becoming instead the things they kill. But the ability is undeniably useful on the battlefield.)

5th level power: Body of Chaos: The corruption of the fell god has begun to warp your anatomy, reinforcing it with unholy power, shapeable to your will. You gain the benefits of any one of the following abilities while in a Red Haze:
    • Jagged Skin: You gain natural armor equal to 1/2 of your Zealot level. In addition, at will, you may tear your skin to spray your foes with your acidic blood, taking 2d4 points of damage, but dealing damage equal to your Acid Blood damage to all foes within 15ft (Reflex half). Using this power takes a swift action to activate.
    • Claws of Tearing: Your hands shape into claws, and you gain a claw attack dealing 1d6 damage. In addition, you gain Rend as a special attack, dealing 2d6+2*your strength modifier if you hit with both claws. You may only rend once per turn.
    • Arms of the Scissor God: You grow an extra pair of arms, and the benefits of the multiweapon fighting feat.
    • Face of the Predator: Your face grows into a maw, like that of a wolf. You gain a bite attack as a secondary natural weapon that deals 1d8+1/2 strength modifier damage. In addition, you gain the ability to use Scare, as the spell, whenever you hit with a bite attack.

You may change one of the selected benefits as a free action 1/round.

6th level: Too tired to write it out, but in general: Acid blood deals damage equal to Zealot Level, Red Haze also gives you the benefit of Frenzy in addition to Rage, though you are exhausted afterwards, the 3rd level power is toggleable as a free action, 4th level power lets you Polymorph and keep all racial abilities of each person you slay, you gain 2 of the 5th level abilities. At all times.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I hope it was good for you and your players.
    Bittersweet. It was a fantastic finish (and they beat some really awful odds and survived), but it's over now.

I think I mentioned this in the fluff, but Gunslinger isn't literally "someone who wields a gun." It is more of the original name, from the original organization of Gunslingers, who did, but the ranks have opened up, and the Gunslingers are basically just ranged weapon focused, not gun focused per se.
    Yeah, I know.

1. Gunslingers basically act as Sheriffs, but they travel everywhere. There are only so many Zealots, and not all (not even most, from what I can tell) are dedicated to justice. Although there is probably a local police-like force, the Gunslingers help provide the extra guns for those forces in times when the Zealots are not around. Because of the relative size of Intolar, I assumed there would have to be some number of outlying towns that live far away from the capitol, and as such, are far away from much of the zealots and other forms of justice. It is in those places that the Gunslingers function.
    Ok, fair enough. Just wanted to get your perspective on the matter.

2. The oath is the main thing. The first Gunslinger, who I am just going to go with Rol Dech-Shan, in this case, had implemented vast policies of friendliness to all creatures as long as they do not prove to be evil; this makes sense, since the Gunslingers are mostly founded by Paladins or on Paladin principles, and such tenets make sense from Paladin perspectives. Because of the oath and the idea of acceptance that was already harbored (and mayhaps was part of why they were shut down by the clergy, who knows) remained, and spread, allowing other races to join the humans.
    Hmm. Ok.

2. No problem. That is probably a good idea, now that I think of it.
    Coolio.

The idea is that while the Paladin oath is nice and good, there are some instances where it is just too restrictive, especially since Gunslingers have to deal with a lot of stuff that is relatively ambiguous, and that they need to have all of their tools at the ready. In addition, the Knight Oath is really restrictive in a way that doesn't really jive with the class. Maybe it should be "in specific instances, the Gunslinger's Oath supersedes other oaths."? I don't think that wording makes the most sense, though.

Much of the Gunslinger Oath can be just as restrictive as a difficult oath, so that doesn't make very much sense to me. In addition to your normal oaths, those other oaths could get in the way of your ability to go through with the Gunslinger's Oath, which is part of what I was worried about.
    The Gunslinger's oath basically IS the Paladin oath, but looser. I mean, (Good) Paladins have to dedicate themselves to the protection of the weak and innocent anyways but have a few extra restrictions, which I personally feel build character (haha I made a funny).

I dunno. Imma sleep on the issue and come back to it tomorrow.

He forces the save when he declares his full attack. It is a supernatural ability. I will clarify.
    Coolio.

I think there is a precedent for it somewhere, probably from the Devoted Spirit discipline from ToB. Still, it isn't really altogether that powerful, and it certainly fits their fluff to a T.
    That's not the one I was worried about.

Yes it does. Extraordinary. If there is no mentioning of the supernaturality of the ability, one can easily assume (and it should not need any more clarification within ability) that it is also extraordinary.
    By default all abilities of all classes have an (Ex), (Su), or (Sp) tag. Many abilities of this class lack that tag, which is bad for clarity. Please do me the favor and add them where appropriate.

As for the stacking, I'm going to have to ask that it doesn't. There's a reason precedent doesn't stack.

Mostly because of the steady hands take ten effect, and otherwise having no use for Disable Device (which I kind of blame on the developers, since you can't use the fricking ability past DC 20 unless you have this ability).
    Fair enough. Just wanted clarification.

Why? They are sharpshooters, yes, but moreover, they must travel, and they are swift. Yes, some have horses (and I am tempted to add a bit about increasing any mount's land speed as well), but there will be a time when all will have to walk on their own feet, and the Gunslingers must always be ready.
    Not all sharpshooters move rapidly though, leading to my request for clarity.

How is a sharpshooter having good eyes out of place? Its practically in the job description. In addition, Gunslingers are in cannon trained to use their eyes to the fullest extent.
    Given how D&D works, your attack bonus can easily be interpreted as your ability to see and hit your target, so while you do make a good point, again, my confusion is reasonable.

What if I switched this to a higher level? I was thinking about switching it with Winds of Ka, since the skirmish like abilities are more useful at lower levels, and the effect of Perfect Calm is kind of powerful.
    There is no precedent I know for such an effect and frankly, I dislike it. Part of the game is about rolling dice, Take 15 reaaaaally makes that pointless. I am going to ask that it be replaced with something else. I do like the idea of Winds of Ka at a lower level though, it's a useful and pretty important ability and should be sooner. That leaves level 9 open to something powerful and thematic. Perhaps a trick shot of some kind?

Dude, have you seen the entry classes? All but knight are divine. And knight is practically already there. I needed something to cement this class in being a Gunslinger who is fundamentally good, and not just some guy who can shoot and fight really well. It isn't a cannon ability, but it seems to fit pretty well. I could change it to an extraordinary ability, since the Gunslinger isn't actually really using magic or anything like that for the effect.
    It doesn't fit with the rest of the class though. It's like "well, Clerics can enter it, so let's add a healing ability!" I see the logic, but don't agree with it. Perhaps, in the vein of vision, True Seeing 1/day as an Ex ability that lasts for rnds/lvl?

It stacks with Fan the Hammer and haste/speed, was what I was thinking.
    Again, I ask you to reconsider stacking it with haste/speed (stacking with Fan the Hammer is obviously fine).

What exactly were you expecting?
    Someone says "gunslinger" and I think Wild West, not Run 'N Gun. It worked out well though, so I'm hardly disapproving (quite like it in fact). Just curious.

Again, the reloading abilities can work on just about any ranged weapon that has ammunition (which means all of the bows, crossbows, guns, and slings).
    Yeah, it doesn't work on illithid weaponry. They don't use ammunition in a traditional sense (I reaaaaally need to post their basic weapons and armor).

The Hivemaster class. Because the class is entirely devoted to strengthening your own personal hive, the class needed some reason that the hivemasters don't just stay in the hivecities and strengthen those hives. The fluff is that in order to achieve the mental strength enough to be able to manipulate the mental connections that create a hive, so as to boost hive members, heal them, give them orders, etc etc, the dwarf needs quite strong telepathy. This means that they need to take the feat to get into the class. So it serves a double purpose, really. Also, it helps for background for players with dwarf characters that might want to play in games.
    Ok, that makes some sense.

And dwarves can be played sans that feat. They use words too, ya know! They can in fact use language outside of their hives, and often do when travelling, though their speech tends to be fairly peculiar.

DM: Check your inbox.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Bittersweet. It was a fantastic finish (and they beat some really awful odds and survived), but it's over now.
    Awesome! It's good to hear that it at least wasn't disappointing.

The Gunslinger's oath basically IS the Paladin oath, but looser. I mean, (Good) Paladins have to dedicate themselves to the protection of the weak and innocent anyways but have a few extra restrictions, which I personally feel build character (haha I made a funny).

I dunno. Imma sleep on the issue and come back to it tomorrow.
    Okay.

By default all abilities of all classes have an (Ex), (Su), or (Sp) tag. Many abilities of this class lack that tag, which is bad for clarity. Please do me the favor and add them where appropriate.

As for the stacking, I'm going to have to ask that it doesn't. There's a reason precedent doesn't stack.
    All of them do now.

Fixed.

Given how D&D works, your attack bonus can easily be interpreted as your ability to see and hit your target, so while you do make a good point, again, my confusion is reasonable.
    I was wondering how having good eyes is out of place on a sharpshooter. What does that have to do with Attack Bonus? Just wondering here, not meaning to insult or be abrasive or anything.

There is no precedent I know for such an effect and frankly, I dislike it. Part of the game is about rolling dice, Take 15 reaaaaally makes that pointless. I am going to ask that it be replaced with something else. I do like the idea of Winds of Ka at a lower level though, it's a useful and pretty important ability and should be sooner. That leaves level 9 open to something powerful and thematic. Perhaps a trick shot of some kind?
    I guess. And there is a precedent on take 15, although not on attack rolls. Just because there is no precedent doesn't mean it is automatically bad. Take 10 and take 15 are certainly a part of the game mechanics, and expanding them to other areas makes sense in some cases, this being one of them.

It doesn't fit with the rest of the class though. It's like "well, Clerics can enter it, so let's add a healing ability!" I see the logic, but don't agree with it. Perhaps, in the vein of vision, True Seeing 1/day as an Ex ability that lasts for rnds/lvl?
    No, that is not the logic at all. And it does fit with the rest of the class, fluff wise; the class is not just a dealer of death. They also bring life to those around them. There is more than just "I can see **** and kill **** and do 'em both good." There is a duality that is inherent in the class. True Seeing is just more "I can see **** and kill **** and do 'em both good." That doesn't fit with the rest of the class.

Again, I ask you to reconsider stacking it with haste/speed (stacking with Fan the Hammer is obviously fine).
    No problem.

Someone says "gunslinger" and I think Wild West, not Run 'N Gun. It worked out well though, so I'm hardly disapproving (quite like it in fact). Just curious.
    Part of the Wild West was Run 'N' Gun. It wasn't exactly a bad strategy, and when you had no cover, it was probably your only strategy. The class has the fast drawing stuff (or at least really good accuracy), and considering the "wild west" was a fricking huge area of land, there is bound to be more than one fighting style. The main problem with the classic idea of "wild west" is that there is such an undefined or simple and stupid fighting style that there is practically no way to make a 10 level prestige class on them. All you ever see the classic idea of a gunslinger in the "wild west" in classic media do is draw fast and shoot accurately. Maybe they ride their horse around once in a while, and kill Indians. That isn't really enough to base an entire class around. Not harping on you, more so on the classic media examples of "gunslingers".

Yeah, it doesn't work on illithid weaponry. They don't use ammunition in a traditional sense (I reaaaaally need to post their basic weapons and armor).
    The weapons sound fun.

Ok, that makes some sense.

And dwarves can be played sans that feat. They use words too, ya know! They can in fact use language outside of their hives, and often do when travelling, though their speech tends to be fairly peculiar.
    I understand that. However, the feat gives them a reason to leave, one that makes more sense from a character standpoint than "I am bored, let's go adventure now!" and also provides them character hooks, and an interesting ability.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-15 at 02:16 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering how having good eyes is out of place on a sharpshooter. What does that have to do with Attack Bonus? Just wondering here, not meaning to insult or be abrasive or anything.
    One interpretation of attack bonus with ranged attacks is how well you can target your opponent and get your shot through his defenses. Some would say that said reading *is* how well you can see. Personally, I don't hold that position, but others do (really, that's verbatim from someone I know), so saying "it's cause sharpshooters have good eyesight" might raise a few eyebrows. Personally, I don't care. The ability is fine and works well, so 'sall good with me.

I guess. And there is a precedent on take 15, although not on attack rolls. Just because there is no precedent doesn't mean it is automatically bad. Take 10 and take 15 are certainly a part of the game mechanics, and expanding them to other areas makes sense in some cases, this being one of them.
    Where is take 15 from?

Also, there is a reason why they never did it. I've experimented with flat attack rolls (take 10/15) and found them to be unfun in general. Take 10 is less so, since you'll need better than 10 pretty frequently, but take 15 is too much. There's something about the game involving a core mechanic, and take 15 skipping that mechanic, that has been detrimental each time I've fiddled with it (only a few times and never exhaustively, to be fair, but still).

No, that is not the logic at all. And it does fit with the rest of the class, fluff wise; the class is not just a dealer of death. They also bring life to those around them. There is more than just "I can see **** and kill **** and do 'em both good." There is a duality that is inherent in the class. True Seeing is just more "I can see **** and kill **** and do 'em both good." That doesn't fit with the rest of the class.
    There is no precedent in the class for that fluff though. The entire class is about shooting people. I get what you're saying, but not everyone is going to. Another vision ability, that would fit with what's currently there and is a more readily accessible piece of fluff.

Part of the Wild West was Run 'N' Gun. It wasn't exactly a bad strategy, and when you had no cover, it was probably your only strategy. The class has the fast drawing stuff (or at least really good accuracy), and considering the "wild west" was a fricking huge area of land, there is bound to be more than one fighting style. The main problem with the classic idea of "wild west" is that there is such an undefined or simple and stupid fighting style that there is practically no way to make a 10 level prestige class on them. All you ever see the classic idea of a gunslinger in the "wild west" in classic media do is draw fast and shoot accurately. Maybe they ride their horse around once in a while, and kill Indians. That isn't really enough to base an entire class around. Not harping on you, more so on the classic media examples of "gunslingers".
    Sir, you need to watch more Westerns. Go watch ten classic John Wayne movies and get back to me about the Wild West being boring.

And, by the way, my point there still stands. Gunslinger, like it or not, evokes not scout-style combat but the town square high noon shootout image. Perhaps not what you and I might like, but it's truth enough. This is fine as it is though.

The weapons sound fun.
    Their basic military "firearm" is a complex two-handed weapon that fires lightning culled from the elemental forces of reality. The illithids long ago realized that the Prime is made up of the 16 elements, and have developed weapons to transmute the environment into varying kinds of base elements and then use those base elements in a destructive fashion. After all, nothing destroys armor (using a military definition, here) like blasting it with pure vacuum, right?

I understand that. However, the feat gives them a reason to leave, one that makes more sense from a character standpoint than "I am bored, let's go adventure now!" and also provides them character hooks, and an interesting ability.
    Ah. Fair enough.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

One interpretation of attack bonus with ranged attacks is how well you can target your opponent and get your shot through his defenses. Some would say that said reading *is* how well you can see. Personally, I don't hold that position, but others do (really, that's verbatim from someone I know), so saying "it's cause sharpshooters have good eyesight" might raise a few eyebrows. Personally, I don't care. The ability is fine and works well, so 'sall good with me.
    Well, having good eyes is like the definition of a bonus to perception/spot, so I dunno how that works. But, coolio.

Where is take 15 from?
    When you are psionicly focused, you can take 15 on Autohypnosis checks, which actually have some really nice functions that are pretty much ignored.

Also, there is a reason why they never did it. I've experimented with flat attack rolls (take 10/15) and found them to be unfun in general. Take 10 is less so, since you'll need better than 10 pretty frequently, but take 15 is too much. There's something about the game involving a core mechanic, and take 15 skipping that mechanic, that has been detrimental each time I've fiddled with it (only a few times and never exhaustively, to be fair, but still).
    I dunno. I liked the idea of taking 15 on ranged attack rolls. It certainly fit the fluff really well. What was your other suggestion?

There is no precedent in the class for that fluff though. The entire class is about shooting people. I get what you're saying, but not everyone is going to. Another vision ability, that would fit with what's currently there and is a more readily accessible piece of fluff.
    Dude. The entire first paragraph of the class, after the quote, talking about protecting innocents? Protection doesn't just mean killing ****. I could add some more really explicit wording on how they are not just "kill stuff all the time", but one would that that wouldn't be necessary. Also, just realized from a someone in the other thread for the class that Path of the White provides infinite out of combat healing, so I am going to make it so it can't heal unless the Gunslinger is in combat.

Sir, you need to watch more Westerns. Go watch ten classic John Wayne movies and get back to me about the Wild West being boring.
    I never said they were boring, but the fighting style certainly is.

And, by the way, my point there still stands. Gunslinger, like it or not, evokes not scout-style combat but the town square high noon shootout image. Perhaps not what you and I might like, but it's truth enough. This is fine as it is though.
    UGH, I just really have a problem with that image. Oh well, it's cool.

Their basic military "firearm" is a complex two-handed weapon that fires lightning culled from the elemental forces of reality. The illithids long ago realized that the Prime is made up of the 16 elements, and have developed weapons to transmute the environment into varying kinds of base elements and then use those base elements in a destructive fashion. After all, nothing destroys armor (using a military definition, here) like blasting it with pure vacuum, right?
    O.O
    DO WANT.

Ah. Fair enough.
    Oh jeez, it's really late. I am going to implement stuff and then go to bed.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

When you are psionicly focused, you can take 15 on Autohypnosis checks, which actually have some really nice functions that are pretty much ignored.
    Yeah not even in the same ballpark. Good to know there's a single example of take 15 anywhere in 3.5's 7 year life span.

Just making an exec decision. I would be much happier if it was replaced with something. Perhaps for 1 round per combat you can take 15?

Dude. The entire first paragraph of the class, after the quote, talking about protecting innocents? Protection doesn't just mean killing ****. I could add some more really explicit wording on how they are not just "kill stuff all the time", but one would that that wouldn't be necessary. Also, just realized from a someone in the other thread for the class that Path of the White provides infinite out of combat healing, so I am going to make it so it can't heal unless the Gunslinger is in combat.
    Ok, that's fine then.

UGH, I just really have a problem with that image. Oh well, it's cool.
    Just really a note about what others are going to observe about the name and what mental image it tends to evoke. Personally, I can see past it without trouble, but my knee-jerk thought WAS the high sun shootout. Just the connotation the word has these days, sad to say.

O.O
    DO WANT.
    Check it out, then:

Orlyndolian Arc Projector: This large two-handed magical device is the standard armament in the Orlyndolian military. Based on a highly secretive magitech property, the Arc Projector somehow subtly alters the elemental structure of nearby matter in order to draw trace amounts of elemental lightning into its capacitors, magically enhances that energy, sheathes it in an envelope of electrically charged air particles, and launches it at the target. The result is a short-ranged, but brutally powerful, electrical discharge and explosion. The Orlyndolian Arc Projector is an exotic two-handed ranged weapon that deals 3d10 electric damage to the initial target with a critical range of x3 and a range of 50 ft. Upon impacting a target (or flying 50 ft, whichever comes first) the round explodes in a 10-ft radius, dealing all creatures (except the initial target, if that's how the round detonates) 2d10 electric damage (Reflex DC 10+1/2 the wielder's hit dice+the wielder's Dexterity modifier for half). Unfortunately, this level of destructive power comes at a high price. The Arc Projector cannot fire rapidly, and can only be fired once every 12 seconds (every other round), as it has to recharge between shots.

The Orlyndolian Arc Projector cannot be legally purchased, but can be had on the black market for upwards of 5000 shines, if that. Availability of the weapon is often quite low, as the illithids do not look kindly on their devices in the hands of others.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah not even in the same ballpark. Good to know there's a single example of take 15 anywhere in 3.5's 7 year life span.

Just making an exec decision. I would be much happier if it was replaced with something. Perhaps for 1 round per combat you can take 15?
    I already changed it to allowing you to automatically make the attack a critical hit as long as you roll for the attack and hit. Not that big a deal.
    My question now, as it is, is should I move that part of Perfect Calm and fold it into the Steady Hand ability, just to make the ability feel more useful, and giving players more of an option for whether or not to roll or just go with the 10. Since I am also thinking of making the result of 10 only usable once per round, this might have less of an impact. I dunno.

Just really a note about what others are going to observe about the name and what mental image it tends to evoke. Personally, I can see past it without trouble, but my knee-jerk thought WAS the high sun shootout. Just the connotation the word has these days, sad to say.
    The class still can do the high sun shootout, to the best of my knowledge, so it isn't really a big deal anyway.

Check it out, then:

Orlyndolian Arc Projector: This large two-handed magical device is the standard armament in the Orlyndolian military. Based on a highly secretive magitech property, the Arc Projector somehow subtly alters the elemental structure of nearby matter in order to draw trace amounts of elemental lightning into its capacitors, magically enhances that energy, sheathes it in an envelope of electrically charged air particles, and launches it at the target. The result is a short-ranged, but brutally powerful, electrical discharge and explosion. The Orlyndolian Arc Projector is an exotic two-handed ranged weapon that deals 3d10 electric damage to the initial target with a critical range of x3 and a range of 50 ft. Upon impacting a target (or flying 50 ft, whichever comes first) the round explodes in a 10-ft radius, dealing all creatures (except the initial target, if that's how the round detonates) 2d10 electric damage (Reflex DC 10+1/2 the wielder's hit dice+the wielder's Dexterity modifier for half). Unfortunately, this level of destructive power comes at a high price. The Arc Projector cannot fire rapidly, and can only be fired once every 12 seconds (every other round), as it has to recharge between shots.

The Orlyndolian Arc Projector cannot be legally purchased, but can be had on the black market for upwards of 5000 shines, if that. Availability of the weapon is often quite low, as the illithids do not look kindly on their devices in the hands of others.
    Oh jeez, that weapon is sexy. Well, it doesn't really deal all that much damage for 5000 shines, but then again it is also at will, so who knows.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

I already changed it to allowing you to automatically make the attack a critical hit as long as you roll for the attack and hit. Not that big a deal.
    My question now, as it is, is should I move that part of Perfect Calm and fold it into the Steady Hand ability, just to make the ability feel more useful, and giving players more of an option for whether or not to roll or just go with the 10. Since I am also thinking of making the result of 10 only usable once per round, this might have less of an impact. I dunno.
    Ok, that's pretty solid then. No complaints.

I'm actually alright with the take 10 as it stands currently. The take 15 was my only issue, so as far as I'm concerned, the matter is settled.

Oh jeez, that weapon is sexy. Well, it doesn't really deal all that much damage for 5000 shines, but then again it is also at will, so who knows.
    The explosions stack. Imagine if you have 5 guys with arc projectors all ambushing an enemy formation. Now you see why the Orlyndolians are feared warriors and why their basic battle tactics involve small strike forces. The Arc Projector is the BASIC GUN. They have a sidearm, colloquially called the Firestorm, that shoots bolts of fire at people. There's the Ice Generator, which snap freezes people for penalties. Finally, there is the Spatial Rift Generator, or Blackstorm, which is a god damn black hole gun for lack of a better description (ok, it actually generates a small quantity of pure vacuum, shoots it in a line, and then causes it to implode and damage a large area, but black hole gun really tells you what you need to know). Stats can be found here (the Arc Projector is also there, as is the Chainblade, a basic illithid melee weapon), and I copied it below.

Items of Orlyndol
    Spoiler
    Show

Chainblade: The most common illithid melee weapon, chainblades are an ancient invention. Originally conceived as an assassin's weapon, they've since gained quite a bit of popularity with the general population, and now can be found almost anywhere thanks to their utility. A chainblade has two forms. In its solid form, a chainblade uses identical stats as a short sword, and is considered a short sword for all intents and purposes. In its better known chain form, a chainblade is an exotic light one-handed melee weapon that deals 1d10 slashing and piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. Chainblades in chain form are approximately 5 ft long, and can be used as impromptu rope or for any task that a length of chain might be used for. Often times adventurers will keep a chainblade at hand just because in chain form they can be serve a variety of uses. Switching from solid to chain form is a free action, but switch from chain to solid form is a full round action, as it must be manually placed back together.

Chainblades can be purchased both in Orlyndol and abroad. They cost 100 shines. A chainblade weighs three pounds.

The Orlyndolian Arc Projector cannot be legally purchased, but can be had on the black market for upwards of 5000 shines, if that. Availability of the weapon is often quite low, as the illithids do not look kindly on their devices in the hands of others. Arc Projectors weigh 12 pounds.

Orlyndolian Ice Generator: Among several weapons that were derived from the Arc Projector, the Ice Generator uses the same basic principles as that weapon does, but instead of grabbing elemental lightning, the ice generator grabs elemental water and snap-freezes it, encasing it in a shell of magically charged air before it actually freezes into ice, and launches it at the target. Upon impact, the air shell breaks and the supercooled liquid coats the target, freezing on them. This does surprisingly little harm, but is an effective hindrance to almost anything it touches. The Orlyndolian Ice Generator is an exotic two-handed ranged weapon that deals 1d8 cold damage, has a critical range of x2, and a range of 40 ft. Any target struck by a round from the Ice Generator suffers a -2 circumstance penalty to attacks, damage, saves, skill checks, and ability checks for 1 minute. Cumulative hits do not stack penalties. Additionally, the Ice Generator may be "supercharged" by taking more time to gather fuel for the shot. For each round the weapon is charged, the penalty is increased by 2, up to a total of a -6 penalty after three rounds of charging. Much like the Arc Projector, the Ice Generator cannot be fired rapidly, and requires at minimum a one round cooldown between shots.

The Orlyndolian Ice Generator cannot be legally purchased, but can be had on the black market for upwards of 5000 shines, if that. Availability of the weapon is often quite low, as the illithids do not look kindly on their devices in the hands of others. Ice Generators weigh 12 pounds.

Orlyndolian Spatial Rift Generator: Colloquially called the "Blackstorm" after the effect of the weapon, the Spatial Rift Generator is a terrifying weapon that sees little use. Developed during the Shadowstar Wars as a method of denying the enemy numerical advantage during large-scale engagements, the weapon uses the same basic principle as the Arc Projector. Where the Arc Projector absorbs elemental lightning, however, the Blackstorm draws in a minuscule quantity of elemental vacuum and amplifies it in the weapon's main chamber. Upon firing, the vacuum rapidly expands into a 5-ft wide sphere of destruction that ravages anything in its path, eventually slowing to a stop and imploding, causing an extraordinary explosion. The Orlyndolian Spatial Rift Generator is a two-handed exotic weapon that deals 10d6 negative energy damage in a 60 ft line. At the end of the line, the projectile implodes, causing a 40 ft radius area to suffer another 10d6 negative energy damage. Anyone in the line gets no save. Anyone in the the implosion area is permitted a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the wielder's hit dice+the wielder's Dexterity modifier) for half damage. Like it's cousin weapons, the Spatial Rift Generator cannot be fired quickly. It requires a 1 minute cooldown between shots.

The Orlyndolian Spatial Rift Generator cannot be legally purchased, but can be had on the black market for upwards of 15000 shines, if that. Availability of the weapon is insanely low, as the Blackstorm is both a state secret and devastatingly powerful. Spatial Rift Generators weigh 15 pounds.

Orlyndolian Suppression Sidearm: The main Orlyndolian weapon that can be found outside of the illithid nation, the Suppression Sidearm is more frequently called the Firestorm. The weapon is similar to the Arc Projector, but instead culls elemental fire from the nearby elements, amplifies it, and shoots it with some force. The Suppression Sidearm is an exotic one-handed ranged weapon that deals 1d10 fire damage with a critical range of x3 and a range increment of 30 ft. Unlike the other Orlyndolian elemental weapons, the Firestorm can shoot with some celerity, thanks to fire being one of the most easily manipulated elements. The Firestorm generates shots fast enough to be fired up to twice a round.

Additionally, unlike the other elemental weapons, the Firestorm can be legally purchased. A non-citizen of Orlyndol can purchase a Suppression Sidearm for 1000 shines (in Orlyndolian terminology, 1000 full splits). A citizen can purchase a Suppression Sidearm for half that price. Suppression Sidearms weigh 4 pounds.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, automatically taking ten means, with the right bonuses, never missing. *shrug*

As for those weapons, this face accurately represents my emotions right now:
    Spoiler
    Show

Although, if you think about it, pure vacuum would probably deal force damage rather than negative energy. *shrug*

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

As for those weapons, this face accurately represents my emotions right now:
    Spoiler
    Show

Although, if you think about it, pure vacuum would probably deal force damage rather than negative energy. *shrug*
    Given that vacuum is actually a defined substance in 3.5 and is not strictly speaking the same as in real life, negative energy fits better (the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vacuum sits between the Elemental Plane of Air and the Negative Energy Plane, thus negative energy damage).

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that vacuum is actually a defined substance in 3.5 and is not strictly speaking the same as in real life, negative energy fits better (the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vacuum sits between the Elemental Plane of Air and the Negative Energy Plane, thus negative energy damage).
    Wait wait wait wait wait, there is an elemental plane of vacuum? What?! How does that work? Wha... bu... no... whaa?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Wait wait wait wait wait, there is an elemental plane of vacuum? What?! How does that work? Wha... bu... no... whaa?
    *sigh* Kids these days, don't even know about the 16 Elemental Planes.

There are the four Elemental Planes everyone knows, Fire, Air, Earth, and Water. Then there's the Para-Elemental Planes, Ooze (Earth+Water), Smoke (Fire+Air), Magma (Earth+Fire), and Ice (Water+Air). Then there are the eight Quasi-Elemental Planes, each of which is one of the energy planes crossed with one of the elemental planes. There is Salt (water+neg), Dust (earth+neg), Ash (fire+neg), Vacuum (air+neg), Steam (water+pos), Mineral (earth+pos), Radiance (fire+pos) and Lightning (air+pos).

The More You Know!

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

But lightning isn't an element, it's the movement of electrons in air. And fire is just the combustion of organic materials. And dust is just dispersed dirt or sand. And what the **** is radiance? What? What? What is this I don't even...

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

But lightning isn't an element, it's the movement of electrons in air. And fire is just the combustion of organic materials. And dust is just dispersed dirt or sand. And what the **** is radiance? What? What? What is this I don't even...
    And THIS is what you're complaining about in D&D? Really?

Oh, and radiance is... complicated. Basically, it's the elemental plane of light and brilliance. It's beautiful, but'll burn the eyes outta your skull. God damn I love the Planes. I'm a blood at heart, lemme tell ya.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-15 at 09:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So are any of the orlyndian weapons used for say, mining operations, or are more specialized weapons used? (The Spatial Rift Generator is... scary. And the chainblade reminds me of A Modest Destiny, which is cool)
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

And THIS is what you're complaining about in D&D? Really?

Oh, and radiance is... complicated. Basically, it's the elemental plane of light and brilliance. It's beautiful, but'll burn the eyes outta your skull. God damn I love the Planes. I'm a blood at heart, lemme tell ya.
    Hey man. I have problems with the idea of all of the classic greek elements, mostly because none of them are actually elements, but my main problem is with elements that are not even matter. Like lightning, fire, and ****ing radiance. It's like, what is D&D teaching kids today about chemistry? I have to wonder. But nah, I don't have a problem with any of those elements really.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zetapup View Post
    So are any of the orlyndian weapons used for say, mining operations, or are more specialized weapons used? (The Spatial Rift Generator is... scary. And the chainblade reminds me of A Modest Destiny, which is cool)
    No. They're weapons of war, not digging tools.

Besides, they have servitors for that sorta task.

Hey man. I have problems with the idea of all of the classic greek elements, mostly because none of them are actually elements, but my main problem is with elements that are not even matter. Like lightning, fire, and ****ing radiance. It's like, what is D&D teaching kids today about chemistry? I have to wonder. But nah, I don't have a problem with any of those elements really.
    Given that the quasi-elements aren't even officially IN 3.5, but they're so awesome I don't really care. They're from the good old days of Planescape.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

No. They're weapons of war, not digging tools.

Besides, they have servitors for that sorta task.
    Well, you have to admit, pure vacuum would be pretty good for digging.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you have to admit, pure vacuum would be pretty good for digging.
    Yes, but the Blackstorm is for war, not digging. Illithids don't commit such powerful and undiscriminating powers to simply digging. You must realize, the Blackstorm is so absurdly powerful that it cannot be controlled. Vacuum is dangerous to play with and difficult to control.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but the Blackstorm is for war, not digging. Illithids don't commit such powerful and undiscriminating powers to simply digging. You must realize, the Blackstorm is so absurdly powerful that it cannot be controlled. Vacuum is dangerous to play with and difficult to control.
    But think of the practical applications!
    Speaking of which, almost infinite energy can be gained from the lightning gun.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

... This makes think that PC's would somewhow convince illithids to start a war with the earth, possibly with help from illusions, so they can mine out a vein of some valuable ore, use the space and money to make residential districts/attract trade, and profit as the mayors of a town built on negative energy and illusions. Of course, this is just my munchkin side kicking in.

So what tools do illithids use for digging?
    Last edited by Zetapup; 2011-08-16 at 02:10 AM.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

28. - Top - End - #388

... This makes think that PC's would somewhow convince illithids to start a war with the earth, possibly with help from illusions, so they can mine out a vein of some valuable ore, use the space and money to make residential districts/attract trade, and profit as the mayors of a town built on negative energy and illusions. Of course, this is just my munchkin side kicking in.

Eh... the vacuum completely annihilates ores. Not an ideal tool for that... and I think they use their servitor meat-puppets for digging.

My question: Why does the chain-form chainblade not have reach? If it normally extends from ~(2 to 2.5)ft to 5ft, why not give it the extra (3~6 in) to actually hit someone two squares away? Or why not let it extend to 6ft, giving it the reach to hit someone two squares away and allow a halfling to get out of a 10ft pit?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

But think of the practical applications!
    Speaking of which, almost infinite energy can be gained from the lightning gun.
    Actually, not really. The energy from the arc projector dissipates basically on contact with anything, with violent results. The illithids experimented with using arc projectors as energy sources, and found that by some bizarre side effect of the amplification process the energy was unstable and couldn't be stored.

It's just too dangerous. Vacuum destroys everything in its path, ores included, and can't be controlled with any level of precision. That's why this idea, while amusing, wouldn't fly.

Servitors.

Eh... the vacuum completely annihilates ores. Not an ideal tool for that... and I think they use their servitor meat-puppets for digging.
    Yep and yep.

My question: Why does the chain-form chainblade not have reach? If it normally extends from ~(2 to 2.5)ft to 5ft, why not give it the extra (3~6 in) to actually hit someone two squares away? Or why not let it extend to 6ft, giving it the reach to hit someone two squares away and allow a halfling to get out of a 10ft pit?
    You know, fair enough. I'll make it 6 ft.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Hivemaster

[1]

“We are all connected by the interconnected webs of relationships, friends, family, of duty. Of love. Each and every person is connected, even if they don’t realize it. My job is only to strengthen the bonds of fellowship.”
    ~Utossa Hivesinger, Wanderer of the Outlands, Hiveless

The Hivemasters are a group of dwarves, those who are usually cast out of their hives, and must work together with other creatures in order to survive in the harsh clime of the lattice, with strange plantlike monsters, elves, and even other dwarves trying to kill them.

BECOMING A HIVEMASTER

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Diplomacy 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 9 ranks
    Feats: Enhanced Telepathy
    Race: Dwarf
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast at least 3rd level arcane spells
    Special: Must have been forced from your Hive city for reasons related to your telepathy

Class Skills
    The Hivemaster's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Mindlinking|--

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Forced Mindlink|+1 existing caster level

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Intensify the Bond|+1 existing caster level

4th|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Render Turmoil|+1 existing caster level

5th|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Ameliorate|+1 existing caster level

6th|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Mindshock|+1 existing caster level

7th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Shield of Rock|+1 existing caster level

8th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Spellshare|+1 existing caster level

9th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Strength is More Than Flesh|+1 existing caster level

10th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Mindcrush|--
    [/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Hivemaster gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spellcasting: At every level except, first and tenth, the Hivemaster adds a level to the levels of the arcane casting class he was in before entering this class for the purposes of spells per day (and spells known, if applicable). He gains no other benefits of gaining a level in that class. If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before entering the Hivemaster class, he must choose which class gains the benefits of each level.

Mindlinking (Su): The Hivemaster’s personal hive becomes even stronger, and can affect creatures who would otherwise not agree to make a link. The hives that the Hivemaster creates are much more potent. Subjects who are part of the hive may travel any distance from the hive, and remain in the hive, as long as they do not leave the same plane, although they might not be able to communicate. Recreating a hive that was once created by the Hivemaster requires that all former members of the hive, and any new members, be within 1 mile of each other for at least one day, rather than one week. The Hivemaster may misdirect any members of the hive who dislike the idea of a hivemind. The target must make a will save (DC 10 + Hivemaster level + highest of Charisma or Intelligence modifier) upon the creation of the hive, and if he fails, he considers the hivemind to just be a strong supernatural connection between the characters, nothing more. That target does not receive any thoughts from any characters besides through the Hivemaster’s telepathy, although the other characters may receive his thoughts. He still gains all other benefits of the hivemind (bonus to Int based skill checks, knowledge of all member’s locations), and Hivemaster may affect him with his abilities, albeit he does’t realize the Hivemaster is doing it. The bonuses also increase, attributed to the Hivemaster’s powerful telepathy. The Intelligence based skill check bonus increases to +4 at first level, and +6 at tenth level. In addition, members of the hivemind gain a +1 Morale bonus to all attack rolls and Armor Class when adjacent to another member of the hivemind. This bonus increases to +2 at fourth level, +3 at seventh level, and +4 at tenth level. At sixth level, the hivemind remains intact even if members leave the plane that the Hivemaster is currently on. At tenth level, it remains even if a member dies.

Forced Mindlink (Su): The Hivemaster may force a mindlink between himself and another target, allowing him to read the thoughts of the target without impunity. As a full round action, the Hivemaster may create a forced mindlink with an opponent within 60 feet of himself. That target must make a Will save (DC 10 + Hivemaster level + highest of Charisma or Intelligence modifier) or be mindlinked. If the target fails the saving throw by more than 5, they are not aware of the effect. The Hivemaster knows everything the target thinks, as long as they remain within 60 feet of each other. High Intelligence minds do not adversely affect him. The effect lasts until the Hivemaster decides to unlink his mind with the target, and the Hivemaster may only have up to one mindlinked target at a time. The mindlinked target gains an additional will save to shrug off the mindlink, if he is aware of it, every hour that the Hivemaster remains mindlinked to the target. If the target ever travels more than 1 mile from the Hivemaster, the mindlink automatically breaks. The Hivemaster, in return, becomes vulnerable to any mind affecting powers or spells the target might use, taking a -4 penalty to all Will saves against any effect the target might use against the Hivemaster. The Hivemaster’s hive takes no penalty from this effect, but also may not read the thoughts of the mindlinked target. This is a mind affecting ability.

Intensify the Bond (Su): The Hivemaster may intensify the hive, and grant those who are a part of it a boost in power. Starting at third level, the Hivemaster may, once per encounter as a standard action, empower his allies. All members of the hivemind (not mindlinked targets), gain a +4 bonus to one Ability score of their choice. They gain a +2 Morale bonus to saving throws, and a +2 Competency bonus to all skill checks. This effect lasts for 3 rounds. The bonuses increase to +6, +3, and +3, respectively, at sixth level, and to +8, +4, and +4, respectively, at ninth level.

Render Turmoil (Su): The Hivemaster may cause turmoil in a target in which he has forced a mindlink. Starting at fourth level, the Hivemaster may force the target who is connected to him via mindlink to make a Will save (DC 10 + Hivemaster levels + highest of Charisma or Intelligence modifier) or become confused until the end of the encounter, as a standard action. The target has no way of knowing whether or not the effect was caused by the mindlink, even if he is aware of it, unless he makes the save, because the confusion is sudden, and renders all coherent thought useless. If he makes the save, he is only aware of a minor psychic breach, but not where the attack came from. If he is aware of the mindlink, he automatically knows the source.

Ameliorate (Su): The Hivemaster may send a wave of positive energy through the bonds he shares with those that are part of his hive, healing them. Starting at fifth level, the Hivemaster may, as a move action once per encounter, heal one member of the hivemind within 60 feet of himself for 1d6 damage per Hivemaster level he possesses, plus a number equal to the Hivemaster’s Charisma or Intelligence modifier, whichever is higher. Any extra healing becomes temporary hit points, which last until the end of the encounter. The targets of this ability do not realize where the source is from unless they know about the hive. If they do not, they do not know the source, but often assume that the Hivemaster (who is a caster, although many, actually most, Hivemasters disguise precisely what kind of caster very well) healed them with a spell. The Hivemaster may not use this ability on himself.

Mindshock (Su): The Hivemaster may shock the minds of his foes with psychic signals far stronger than their minds are capable of handling. Starting at sixth level, the Hivemaster may, once per day, as a full round action, send out an incredibly powerful psychic signal to all enemies within 15 feet of the Hivemaster. The Hivemaster’s hive is immune to this effect. All creatures within 15 feet must make a Will save (DC 10 + Hivemaster level + highest of Charisma or Intelligence) or take 6d6 untyped damage, and become Stunned for 1d4 rounds. If they make their save, they take half damage, and the duration of the stun is halved (minimum 1 round). Creatures who are naturally telepathic take a -4 penalty to the Will save (this affects Dwarves as well, although their Telepathy is certainly weaker than most Telepathic creatures). This is a Mind affecting ability.

Shield of Rock (Su): The Hivemaster may shield the minds of his hive, granting them the protection of the deeps. Starting at seventh level, the Hivemaster grants his hive a Dodge bonus to Armor Class and Reflex saves equal to his Hivemaster levels divided by two, and an Insight bonus to Will saves equal to his Charisma or Intelligence modifier, whichever is higher. This ability only affects allies within 60 feet of the Hivemaster. The Hivemaster may not affect himself with this ability.

Spellshare (Su): The Hivemaster may grant arcane power to those connected to his hive. Starting at eighth level, the Hivemaster may grant a member of the hive the ability to cast a spell that the Hivemaster knows or has prepared, as if they were the Hivemaster. Using this ability is a standard action. In order to use this ability, the Hivemaster must sacrifice a spell slot of the appropriate level as the spell known, if the Hivemaster is a spontaneous caster, or the prepared spell slot of the spell to be cast, if the Hivemaster is a prepared caster. He loses the spell slot for the day, and does not regain it until he prepares or restores his spell slots the next day. The ally the Hivemaster grants the spell to casts the spell as if they were the Hivemaster, using the Hivemaster’s caster level, Ability scores, etc etc.

Strength is More Than Flesh (Su): The Hivemaster’s mind becomes an impenetrable fortress, from all of the years of practice with mental combat he has had. Starting at ninth level, the Hivemaster becomes immune to Mind affecting spells, powers, or effects. He may lower this effect at any time, as a free action, and resume it again as a free action.

Mindcrush (Su): The Hivemaster may crush the mind of an opponent he has Mindlinked with. Starting at tenth level, the Hivemaster may, as a full round action, crush the mind of the mindlinked target. The target must make a will save (DC 10 + Hivemaster levels + highest of Charisma or Intelligence modifier) or instantly die. If they make the save by less than five, they become permanently insane. If they make the save by more than 5, they take 2d6 Wisdom damage. After a creature has been the target of this ability, they become immune to the Hivemaster’s Forced Mindlink ability.

My Question
    I was thinking of making this class Beguiler specific, but I am not sure if you think that fits the flavor of Dwarves themselves (it sort of seems to fit the class), or whether it is included.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-22 at 11:25 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show