New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Can someone please explain Epic Spell (3.5) casting to me?

Hey, so just a heads up, I've read the SRD on epic spell casting, I know you need the required feat offered at level 21 to take this. I understand that each effect starts off as a "seed" (though thats still a little bit "huh?" for me)

But the main thing I just *don't* get is the spellcraft DC for the spells. I realize that you have to get past the DC on the check to be able to cast the spell but how are characters able to cast spells at a DC of 65, 85 and 100+?

It just doesn't make sense to me and if someone could explain it out for me I'd really appreciate it
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Can someone please explain Epic Spell (3.5) casting to me?

By: crafting an item of +30 to Spellcraft, and levelling up.

That said, because of the high costs to research, mitigating factors such as lots of casters, tend to be used to bring it down to 0 DC.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post
    Hey, so just a heads up, I've read the SRD on epic spell casting, I know you need the required feat offered at level 21 to take this. I understand that each effect starts off as a "seed" (though thats still a little bit "huh?" for me)

But the main thing I just *don't* get is the spellcraft DC for the spells. I realize that you have to get past the DC on the check to be able to cast the spell but how are characters able to cast spells at a DC of 65, 85 and 100+?

It just doesn't make sense to me and if someone could explain it out for me I'd really appreciate it
    SpellCraft optimization is an art unto itself, but it usually requires using custom items that add to skills. Consider, for example, that a +30 Spellcraft ring out of the MiC costs 90,000. Factor in 24 Ranks in Spellcraft by level 21, and a +12 from Int and you're casting spells with a Spellcraft DC of 66 without a check. You can get up to 86 with a 20.

With Epic spellcasting you can increase your ability scores arbitrarily high using various bonuses and modifiers. This requires a lot of time and money to manufacture spells, but in theory, you can build permanent spells that allow you to create platinum by 20 cubic feet at a time, so all you really need is time.

Epic spellcasting is very broken.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2011-01-19 at 02:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

That would require someone to understand how Epic Spell rules work. Which no one does. Not even the people who designed it, based on the sample epic spells.

Have you looked at those things? A lot of the "mitigating factors" they used aren't given as examples, which basically means the whole system is "Yeah, whatever, eyeball it."

Which is the same as the rules for making new non-epic spells, but the difference is that if you're going to make specific rules for something, you better damn well follow those rules in your example.
    Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Basically, Epic Spellcasting serves two purposes, I think:

1. is to codify a means for super-powerful effects a DM wants to chuck at his/her players.

2. is because the writers realised that they left spellcasting basically capped at 20th level, but the other classes continued to improve (though at a slower rate.) They then figured a level 100 fighter might possibly be stronger than a level 21 wizard, found that intolerable, and made epic spellcasting.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.