New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The New World

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default The New World

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster (I think).

I've got a question for Rich (or for anyone else here who knows the answer, I suppose). Is there any intention to finish up "The New World" design process? I must have read the first nine chapters a dozen times - it's fascinating to watch the world develop in that orderly way, and I'd love to see where he takes it next. Is the project abandoned at Chapter Nine, or will there be more?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The New World

That question pops up from time to time, and general consensus seems to be "no".
    Some think that this setting is the one that ended up in WotCs ne 3.5e setting competion and got second place (behind Eberron). That setting is now owned by WotC, so he can no longer publish anything about it by himself.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ahhh..... that would make sense. He doesn't seem the type to leave something unfinished, particularly something that cool.

OK, The New World is a bust. I still had a great time reading it, though. Do you (or anyone else here) know of another webpage that follows someone designing a campaign setting (or a campaign, or a dungeon) in the same sort of formulaic way? It was a terrific read - watching something created from the ground up like that. I don't mean a site with homemade campaigns - there are plenty of those - I mean a page where someone who knows what he's doing tracks the design process.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    That question pops up from time to time, and general consensus seems to be "no".
    Some think that this setting is the one that ended up in WotCs ne 3.5e setting competion and got second place (behind Eberron). That setting is now owned by WotC, so he can no longer publish anything about it by himself.
    I heard that the setting entered into the WotC contest has in fact never been shown to the public and in all likelihood never will be. I heard that the New World was put on hold because Rich devoted his time to OotS, and will be resurrected once OotS has concluded.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

It does seem a shame to keep something like that completely in the dark for all time, especially if they thought enough of it to make it the runner-up.

But then, corporations don't seem to have much shame.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I heard that the New World was put on hold because Rich devoted his time to OotS, and will be resurrected once OotS has concluded.
    So, no need to hold our breath...
    In the end, using Roland's words: "unless there's been news, there's no news".
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Total bummer. He was just reaching a peak with the development process, too.

Anyone know of any other similar webpage - where you follow along as someone develops a gaming world? I'd like to check that out.