New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Infinite Free Crafting?

There are three feats in the Eberron Campaign Setting called Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. These respectively reduce the time, gold, and experience you need for crafting by 25%. They all have a prereq of a single crafting feat.

So today, I was looking at the feat table, when I noticed the little superscript 2 beside these three feats, and looked to the bottom of the chart. It says "You can gain this feat multiple times. It's effects stack."

So take a Elven Artificer 19/Fighter 1 for a total of twelve feats. Dark Chaos Shuffle and take the three feats four times each, for a 100% reduction in time, money, and experience.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, and I would enjoy a link, but I'm more curious if I'm missing anything that would prevent this from working.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Infinite Free Crafting?

The errata for ECS removes that superscript. The feats can only be taken once each.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    There are three feats in the Eberron Campaign Setting called Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. These respectively reduce the time, gold, and experience you need for crafting by 25%. They all have a prereq of a single crafting feat.

So today, I was looking at the feat table, when I noticed the little superscript 2 beside these three feats, and looked to the bottom of the chart. It says "You can gain this feat multiple times. It's effects stack."

So take a Elven Artificer 19/Fighter 1 for a total of twelve feats. Dark Chaos Shuffle and take the three feats four times each, for a 100% reduction in time, money, and experience.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, and I would enjoy a link, but I'm more curious if I'm missing anything that would prevent this from working.
    regardless of errata, text trumps table. information on the table are not rules text and have no bearing to the rules at all.

Stick to crafting your instantaneous quarterstaves.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    regardless of errata, text trumps table. information on the table are not rules text and have no bearing to the rules at all.
    Correct. If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does. Tables are notorious for typos due to their condensed nature (Crit range of 19-29, anyone?)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Correct. If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does. Tables are notorious for typos due to their condensed nature (Crit range of 19-29, anyone?)
    Never seen that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Never seen that one
    Ninja-To in Oriental Adventures (pg.72) has a crit range of 19-29/x2 in the table.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    The errata for ECS removes that superscript. The feats can only be taken once each.
    Ah, alright. Completely forgot to check the errata.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB
    Yes, I know that. I forgot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode
    If a feat can be selected more than once, it will explicitly say so in its text, like Weapon Focus or similar does.
    this part.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    This was a ploy by WotC to boost their d30 sales. It's just like the d44 whip. I loved using that thing.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-01-23 at 10:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Your best bet is still a Dweomerkeeper with Embrace/Shun conga line and a thought bottle. Shuffle 1 feat around for free and spend 500xp to craft nearly anything.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

According to works of Doc Rock, there is a way of crafting 1st level spells scrolls for free. I'm fuzzy on details, but the Scrollificer using such shenanigans can be seen here.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, there's also the cost reduction handbook which has some things to get pretty darn close to 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

For the effort it takes to get to a 75% reduction, you're better off with a Thought Bottle, honestly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    For the effort it takes to get to a 75% reduction, you're better off with a Thought Bottle, honestly.
    I just realised how effective it can be to use two or more of theese - you effectively get crafting XP more or less proportional to (XP/500)^n, where n is the number of bottles used. The more XP you have, the more you gain.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Theoretically, a Psion of sufficiently high level can Do the Wight Thing (or Suicide) for 0 XP crafting (or 0 XP reality Revisions, if 18th or higher).

Well, OK, technically, you lose any XP you have in excess of your current level when all is said and done, but the method doesn't require that you have any XP in excess of your current level, so....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Theoretically, a Psion of sufficiently high level can Do the Wight Thing (or Suicide) for 0 XP crafting (or 0 XP reality Revisions, if 18th or higher).
    Any item crafting method that involves the ritual death of the caster REALLY needs to be re-thought, IMO.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Any item crafting method that involves the ritual death of the caster REALLY needs to be re-thought, IMO.
    Enslaved undead being used to productive ends on the other hand, well, that's just good SCIENCE! err... MAGIC!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it is cheesy cheese, and liable to be followed with some DM smiting, I'll grant you that. But *any* method of free crafting is the same in that regard. Do the Wight Thing (and the variant method, Suicide) are just really funny ways to go about it, that don't depend on much outside the character who's doing it (and the variant method, Suicide, doesn't require *any* interaction with the world at large).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.