New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.PF] Knowledge Junkie

I am making a new character for a 3.PF game, PF rules with 3.5 stuff allowed on DM approval. My character is a 1 level Cloistered Cleric, 7 levels of Pathfinder Rogue, and 2 levels of Swordsage. The plan is to take Rogue to 10, then fill the remaining levels with Swordsage.

I am going to be playing him as a knowledge junkie, wants to learn anything and everything. Are there any tricks to buffing your knowledge skills, aside from buffing INT?

I already have Knowledge Devotion, and I took the Skill Trick Collector of Stories. Does anyone know of anything else I could be doing?

There is a spell I recall, cannot for the life of me think of the name, that would let you read a book simply by touching it. Anyone know what it is called? Also, any spells that would fit, flavor wise, would be a help too. Custom Magic Items are allowed, so I can see what I can do with those. Do not worry about wealth level, just looking for ideas, then I can cull through what I get.

Thank you in advance
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.PF] Knowledge Junkie

Get a few masterwork tomes.

Each one applied to a different knowledge for a +2 to those skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    There is a spell I recall, cannot for the life of me think of the name, that would let you read a book simply by touching it. Anyone know what it is called?
    That would be Scholar's Touch
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I am making a new character for a 3.PF game, PF rules with 3.5 stuff allowed on DM approval. My character is a 1 level Cloistered Cleric, 7 levels of Pathfinder Rogue, and 2 levels of Swordsage. The plan is to take Rogue to 10, then fill the remaining levels with Swordsage.
    Well, other than it's based on your Cloistered Cleric level, rather than your character level, a straightforward Cloistered Cleric-X with at least 5 ranks in Knowledge(History) can make a roll on almost anything (most, but not all, DM's will let you use Bardic Knowledge equivalents for any Knowledge check), thanks to Lore, with a fairly high degree of success (Cloistered Cleric level + Int Mod + 2).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That would be Scholar's Touch
    That would be the one, thank you. I thought it was a lot higher level than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Well, other than it's based on your Cloistered Cleric level, rather than your character level, a straightforward Cloistered Cleric-X with at least 5 ranks in Knowledge(History) can make a roll on almost anything (most, but not all, DM's will let you use Bardic Knowledge equivalents for any Knowledge check), thanks to Lore, with a fairly high degree of success (Cloistered Cleric level + Int Mod + 2).
    I think my knowledge checks are going to be a lot higher than any lore check I can make, unless I am mis-remembering the Bardic Knowledge rules, I will have to reread them
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

That would be the one, thank you. I thought it was a lot higher level than that.
    Combine with Autohypnosis, and you can now copy an entire library word-for-word. How fast can you write?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You might want to check out the Master base class from the Dragonlance supplement War of the Lance. It's a little like a much upgraded Expert class and if you choose the Sage primary focus, knowing stuff can give you significant bonuses to hit and can also be used to figure things out in related fields you don't have ranks in.