New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

eek Wierd Reach Weapon Ruling

With a reach weapon, you can attack a non adjacent square.

Adjacent ogre attacking me occupies that square in my attack range.

Can I attack the ogre?

Show your work.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Wierd Reach Weapon Ruling

Well it's simple, you just.. Err... Hmm.

I'd probably say you couldn't, though i'm not really sure why.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You can't attack things adjacent to you with a reach weapon. Try the feat "Shorten Grip" out of Dragon Magazine Compendium. (Note: there is another choice, "Short Haft" out of PHB2: it's a trap. Don't take it.)
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If any square the ogre occupies is in your threatened area, you can attack the ogre. It's really hard for bigger creatures to zone out smaller ones like that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square.
    PHB pg 113. As was stated, there are feats to get around this particular limitation. You can also take Improved Unarmed Strike, wear gauntlets or armor spikes to allow you to still threaten adjacent squares.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

So... If I understand your example, the ogre occupies the square next to you as well as the one 10' away (because it's Large). Correct?

If so, yes, you can attack the ogre. I'm not finding it right now, but somewhere is a quote that says if you can attack any square the creature occupies, you can attack it.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

You can attack a creature if any square in its space is within your threatened reach. The ogre is big enough that you can stab his far shoulder. Remember that the characters aren't just standing there like chess pieces; they are ducking and weaving and moving about their space. Attacking an adjacent ogre with a reach weapon can probably be fluffed as an aggressive thrust that causes the ogre to stumble back a bit so that you can more easily hit him with the point.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, I can't find anything in the SRD specifying that threatening has anything to do with where you can attack. It specifies you can't attack adjacent squares with a reach weapon (barring specific exemptions i.e. spiked chain). However, if the ogre moves and remains adjacent to you, it provokes an attack of opportunity.

But you can't attack it.

I AM CONFUSED.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    But you can't attack it.
    Yes, you can. You can't attack the adjacent square, that's true. But you can attack the square 10' away, which the ogre is occupying as well.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square.
    If this actually what it says in the Player's Handbook and is not clarified elsewhere in the book, its errata, or the Rules Compendium, then I think the answer is unfortunately the opposite of what pretty much everyone here seems to think. And it would make sense, if you ask me.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-01-24 at 06:49 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

You can't attack a creature in an adjacent square with a reach weapon. If the ogre is in an adjacent square, you can't attack it, regardless of what other squares it occupies.

Similar thought experiment: There's a human standing in front of you, and another human in the square behind him (such that the three of you are in a line). Can you attack the human who is 10' away with a reach weapon through the guy in front of you? Probably not. Same deal with the ogre. You can't attack his butt through his chest.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by linebackeru View Post
    Similar thought experiment: There's a human standing in front of you, and another human in the square behind him (such that the three of you are in a line). Can you attack the human who is 10' away with a reach weapon through the guy in front of you? Probably not. Same deal with the ogre. You can't attack his butt through his chest.
    Well actually you can because you don't occupy all of the five-foot space and are presumed to be shifting around inside of it to attack people around each other (because I think you can). This is a bit of a silly contradiction, isn't it?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Curmudgeon, where art thou?

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by linebackeru View Post
    You can't attack a creature in an adjacent square with a reach weapon. If the ogre is in an adjacent square, you can't attack it, regardless of what other squares it occupies.

You can attack around the person, gm might say it provides some partial cover but you can just smack them as normal by the rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature solely in an adjacent square.
    I've added one word to help in reading this, which can be inferred from this longer Rules Compendium quote (from page 150):
    Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, allowing the wielder to attack at that reach but not within its normal reach. A typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature solely in an adjacent square.
    Since you can attack at that reach, the restriction on attacking adjacent creatures is for those solely adjacent to you. A larger creature occupying adjacent (non-reachable) as well as reachable squares remains attackable.

It's just awkward phrasing, folks.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Personally, I'd rule that you can't. You can't attack at closer ranges due to the inability of the weapon to be effective at that range - saying that you somehow hook it around or whatever to attack the back of the creature strikes me as odd.

Curmudgeon - is the second block the Rules Compendium as written, or with your changes?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Curmudgeon - is the second block the Rules Compendium as written, or with your changes?
    That is with his changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I added one word (solely), as stated. The highlighted (bold) phrase explains why I think that appropriately clarifies the meaning.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I added one word (solely), as stated. The highlighted (bold) phrase explains why I think that appropriately clarifies the meaning.
    Ah, okay.

I stand by my interpretation, then, as it also matches the SRD text :)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Just a thought: Doesn't the fact that an Ogre is a bipedal, large creature mean it technically occupies a cube of 10' x 10' x 10'? Does this mean a medium (5' x 5' x 5') creature can attack its head or upper body in the same way you could attack a creature flying 10 feet above you with a reach weapon?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I agree with this. But this is because I think of attacks as being targeted at squares foremost, which makes AOO's and tiny creatures quite easy to understand.
    Also, if I'm hovering adjacent, but above, the Tarrasque, are you going to argue I can't attack it with a reach weapon?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Also, if I'm hovering adjacent, but above, the Tarrasque, are you going to argue I can't attack it with a reach weapon?
    I think making the creature larger is actually a good way to illustrate the point. Let's Use a diagram. A is the character in question, and Os represent some very large creature.

OOOO
    OOOO
    OOOOA
    OOOO

Based on this configuration, would you still insist that A can't attack O with with a reach polearm? Because it seems to me like he could, even though the two are definitely adjacent.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Based on this configuration, would you still insist that A can't attack O with with a reach polearm? Because it seems to me like he could, even though the two are definitely adjacent.
    Yes, I would.

The problem is that there's something right in your face, preventing the polearm from being used effectively.

But, that's just how I'd rule it, and people can rule it however they want. The SRD does seem pretty clear in that you can't attack an adjacent opponent with a reach weapon. If you want to argue that's RAW and not RAI, fine, but I'm free to disagree :D

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd go with the more lenient reading, personally.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I would say not without penalty, because it seems to me that the reason adjacent characters cannot be attacked is because they are too close. There needs to be room between the wielder and the target for the weapon to be used effectively. Since you can attack a target when another is in the intervening square, then it would perhaps be reasonable to allow an attack with the appropriate penalty [e.g. −4 AB or +4 AC]. An ogre granting cover to itself seems a bit strange, admittedly, but there you go.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well if it's tall enough you can just try to go for the upper squares, which have no "cover."
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I would say not without penalty, because it seems to me that the reason adjacent characters cannot be attacked is because they are too close. There needs to be room between the wielder and the target for the weapon to be used effectively. Since you can attack a target when another is in the intervening square, then it would perhaps be reasonable to allow an attack with the appropriate penalty [e.g. −4 AB or +4 AC]. An ogre granting cover to itself seems a bit strange, admittedly, but there you go.
    I do like this interpretation because it jibes well with reality as well as what makes sense (in my mind) with the mechanics of the game's rules.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

I would rule that you couldn't attack an adjacent large creature, because all parts of it that you could try to hit are within 5'.
    I lay a trap for you..
    Take a handful of d6s, and set them up so that each on represents 5'. One 5x5x5 cube is you, and the 10x10x10 cube is a large creature. Set them adjacent to each other, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    And another trap...
    However, anything bigger than large has parts of the cube that are 10' away, so you could strike them then.

Spoilered pictures in case you don't have dice near you. Why wouldn't you have dice near you?

Spoiler
    Show

Here you can see that all parts of the creature are within 5'.

Same here.

Now, with a huge creature, you can see parts that are farther than 5' away.

So you can hit here...

Here...

And on these three.

29. - Top - End - #29

ClericGuy

I'd go with a 5' step back...

I believe you could not attack it, besides. Think about a Gelatinous Cube... no way you're going to stab him with your polearm if you don't step back.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
    I would rule that you couldn't attack an adjacent large creature, because all parts of it that you could try to hit are within 5'.
    I lay a trap for you..
    Take a handful of d6s, and set them up so that each on represents 5'. One 5x5x5 cube is you, and the 10x10x10 cube is a large creature. Set them adjacent to each other, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    And another trap...
    However, anything bigger than large has parts of the cube that are 10' away, so you could strike them then.

Spoilered pictures in case you don't have dice near you. Why wouldn't you have dice near you?

Spoiler
    Show

Here you can see that all parts of the creature are within 5'.

Same here.

Now, with a huge creature, you can see parts that are farther than 5' away.

So you can hit here...

Here...

And on these three.
    OO
    OOX

The squares on a Large creature that are 10' from reach weapon guy.