New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Old School [D&D 3.5/Pathfinder]

Have any of you started off a campaign with a character of middle-age or older, that wasn't magicked out the wazoo (straight Fighter, or Barbarian, etc) to compensate for any penalties?

And, if you did, how did things turn out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Old School [D&D 3.5/Pathfinder]

Yes.

My group does this a lot.

But most of my group is made up of Old School Gamers.

For example, we had Driftwood, who had a five in both intelligence and strength. Blunderfoot, the rouge with a eight dexterity.

Several times we have had a 'retired' character....a '60 something' who goes on the adventure to help the young ones. They have no problem on the adventure.

But we do play more heroic, and not super heroic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I played a 1st - 20th level campaign as a venerable human commoner with a variant that took away my bonus feat and bonus skill points. I ended up destroying the campaign world. But that was mostly roleplay backed by heavy knowledge of how the game works. It's surprising what you can do with chickens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there was that venerable anthropomorphic bat monk/paladin based entirely around Wisdom who had a +ridiculous in that and 8s and 12s in most other stuff, and the venerable phrenic grey elf warblade/factotum who did the same thing with Int...and the formerly-venerable evolved evolved evolved [...] evolved ghost hellbred paladin of tyranny/bard/binder who did the same thing with Cha.

If you mean only characters who didn't cheese out mental stats to the exclusion of everything else, I did play in a game with 4d6-drop-lowest-in-order ability generation where I was unlucky enough to roll a Str, Dex, and Con all below 7, so I said the heck with it, rolled up a very "mind over matter" venerable cerebremancer, and focused completely on telekinetic stuff to compensate for the 1s and 2s in every physical score.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this