New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Test driving 4E

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Test driving 4E

I'm fairly new at roleplaying, but have played and DMed a bit of 3.5 and Pathfinder. I'd like to try out 4th edition, but all of my friends can't stand it, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't an srd for 4th ed.
    I'm not sure if I'd like it or not, I just want to try it out. Anyone have any good ideas?
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Test driving 4E

You can check your library to start, see if they have books you can borrow.

From there? I don't know, I mean, I'm assuming you don't want to buy anything currently. Ask your local game shop or see if anyone you don't know as well is running a game?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    I'm fairly new at roleplaying, but have played and DMed a bit of 3.5 and Pathfinder. I'd like to try out 4th edition, but all of my friends can't stand it, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't an srd for 4th ed.
    I'm not sure if I'd like it or not, I just want to try it out. Anyone have any good ideas?
    Get a sub to D&D Insider. $10 a month, you get the whole Compendium.

Go to an Encounters session at your FLGS to get a feel for the rules if you want.

Pick up the Red Box to get Everything You Need to start at a relatively low price.

Any of those should work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I think there's a "free trial" of sorts on the Wizards of the Coast website. It includes some rules for getting started, and an adventure that you can run. Be warned, though, it's widely known as a difficult adventure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Uhmmm.... if your friends don't like it, why are you trying it? I mean, I get you want to try it; but wouldn't your first priority be finding a different group who will actually have fun playing it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

If your friends dispise it, then they probably have a reason why. Talk to them to see if they have any books you can borrow or something along those lines. if they hate it as much as it sounds, I would be surprised if they didn't let you borrow their book for a week or two.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kieza View Post
    I think there's a "free trial" of sorts on the Wizards of the Coast website. It includes some rules for getting started, and an adventure that you can run. Be warned, though, it's widely known as a difficult adventure.
    I understand that the version of Keep on the Shadowfell that they put on the web was tweaked to fix the difficulty. The free trial is at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TryDnD.aspx, scroll down to the "Roleplaying Games" heading.
    Last edited by Excession; 2011-01-25 at 05:29 PM.