New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default God Complex Character (help)

I have a character concept in mind but I need a little help. The character is a Lesser Steam Para-Genasi with, as Steam-Para-Genasi are prone too, a serious ego. In this case, Mayfire Harpsung makes up for his overly effeminate name by only answer to "Monty" and has a serious God complex, where he strictly disassociates himself with all religion besides his own.
    I was going for a melee build, thinking Warblade for the primary base class. When I bounced the idea off my DM and told him I was looking for a PrC he mentioned Ur Priest. I wasn't really looking for spellcasting type character, but the fluff was so perfect. The only issue I have is that the group I play in consists primarily of player that seem addicted to playing Exalted characters and I make a terrible evil character; I seriously can't do it.
    What other PrC or build recommendations would you make?

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2

RogueGuy

Default Re: God Complex Character (help)

Paladin that is the follower of.. himself. Neither Clerics or Paladins are required to have a god... They just have alignment restrictions... (or not in the case of clerics)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Not amazingly powerful, but you could try Defiant from Planar Handbook. Basically it's a group that says that Gods aren't worthy of worship. They get a number of powers used to oppose Divine spellcasters and Outsiders.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you don't mind some 3rd party content there is a pdf called "Ultimate Prestige Classes"(I forget the company that makes it.) which has a PrC called "The Society of Atheists" that, while fluffed as part of a society can EASILY be refluffed to fit a lone Atheist. The class is a very nice 5 level class that focuses on battling divine spellcasters and is rather awesome at it. The issue? It's an ARCANE PrC and you specifically stated you want a melee build. While divine is certainly better for melee I suppose going as a duskblade for a base could give you a "melee-ish" character with that PrC. Or, you could forget taking a melee class at all, be a Wizard/Society of Atheists and just use Polymorph, Tesner's Transformation Shapechange ect..if you ever feel like whacking enemies instead of hinder and/or kill them with spells.

It may not be exactly what your looking for but, hey, it fits the fluff of your character so I just thought I should run it past you.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-01-26 at 09:50 AM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As the DM in question, I would second the Defiant suggestion, and point out that the exalted characters can go suck on a lemon for all I care, since I want to see Monty soon!!
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbaerrohwen View Post
    The only issue I have is that the group I play in consists primarily of player that seem addicted to playing Exalted characters and I make a terrible evil character; I seriously can't do it.
    Then all you have to do is look at the adaptation section; it's very easy to make a non-evil Ur-priest. Ask your DM what an appropriate replacement for Spell Focus (evil) might be, or suggest one yourself, and you're fine.

If you don't want too castery of a character, look at some of the martial/divine PrCs. Ones with slow casting advancement are pretty nice on top an Ur-priest instead, and keep you from getting 9ths before you otherwise would.

7. - Top - End - #7

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maho-Tsukai View Post
    If you don't mind some 3rd party content there is a pdf called "Ultimate Prestige Classes"(I forget the company that makes it.) which has a PrC called "The Society of Atheists" that, while fluffed as part of a society can EASILY be refluffed to fit a lone Atheist. The class is a very nice 5 level class that focuses on battling divine spellcasters and is rather awesome at it. The issue? It's an ARCANE PrC and you specifically stated you want a melee build. While divine is certainly better for melee I suppose going as a duskblade for a base could give you a "melee-ish" character with that PrC. Or, you could forget taking a melee class at all, be a Wizard/Society of Atheists and just use Polymorph, Tesner's Transformation Shapechange ect..if you ever feel like whacking enemies instead of hinder and/or kill them with spells.

It may not be exactly what your looking for but, hey, it fits the fluff of your character so I just thought I should run it past you.
    I think the company you're thinking of is Mongoose Publishing but, unfortunately, I don't have access to the pdf. PM me if you know where I could get it, cause it'd be a good read, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    As the DM in question, I would second the Defiant suggestion, and point out that the exalted characters can go suck on a lemon for all I care, since I want to see Monty soon!!
    Awesome, then I'll look into Defiant.

EDIT: I thought I heard of feat or template that let you wield weapons as if you were a size category larger. Does anyone know what it is?
    Last edited by Tibbaerrohwen; 2011-01-26 at 06:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Unwitting Favoured Soul of some chaotic god ?
    Its just a crazy twist on your idea
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: I thought I heard of feat or template that let you wield weapons as if you were a size category larger. Does anyone know what it is?
    Many people think Monkey Grip lets you do this...it sort of does. It lets you use a weapon one size category bigger with a -2 penalty. Generally not worth it.

There are a number of races which get Powerful Build, which also may be what you're thinking of. Goliath is probably the best, with Half-Giant being another fairly popular choice.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Many people think Monkey Grip lets you do this...it sort of does. It lets you use a weapon one size category bigger with a -2 penalty. Generally not worth it.

There are a number of races which get Powerful Build, which also may be what you're thinking of. Goliath is probably the best, with Half-Giant being another fairly popular choice.
    Does powerful build let you use weapons a size category larger?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Does powerful build let you use weapons a size category larger?
    Yes. It also treats you as large for a few other things, like opposed checks and some special attacks.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The alternative to Powerful Build is the 5000GP Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal without penalty.

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The alternative to Powerful Build is the 5000GP Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal without penalty.
    6000 gp for Strongarm Bracers or a feat. I wish they stacked.