New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: a puny question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default a puny question

is it possible to become pun-pun with the following sources (AND ONLY the following sources)

the SRD
    DMG
    DMG II
    PHB
    MM I
    dieties and demigods
    A&EG
    BOED
    BOVD
    races of stone
    masters of the wild
    and......

that should be it, I don't have my bag in front of me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: a puny question

No idea. But more practically who cares? Are you actually considering playing him?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

1. Don't try.
    2. Requires the book Serpent Kingdoms for Sarrukh. No sarrukh, no Pun Pun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

no, but I have a player who mentioned it, so I was merely curious if he could pull it off if he tried..

my preplanned response to pun-pun is "congratulations, you win, roll up a new character"

so I don't care if someone does ascend to pun-pun

just curious about the ways to get there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The one absolutely critical linchpin of Pun-pun is the Sarrukh monster from Serpent Kingdoms. Without that, it can't get started. With that, availability of other books merely causes relatively minor variations in the details of Pun-pun's nigh-omnipotence and what level he can achieve it at.

The various "ways to become Pun-pun" are really just "ways to acquire the Manipulate Form ability of a Sarrukh".
    Last edited by Douglas; 2011-01-26 at 02:49 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The one absolutely critical linchpin of Pun-pun is the Sarrukh monster from Serpent Kingdoms. Without that, it can't get started. With that, availability of other books merely causes relatively minor variations in the details of Pun-pun's nigh-omnipotence and what level he can achieve it at.

The various "ways to become Pun-pun" are really just "ways to acquire the Manipulate Form ability of a Sarrukh".
    Though the Wish chaining that makes Pun-Pun possible could be used in many interesting ways.

The methods of starting said wish chain require access to Fiend Folio (or wherever Pazuzu is, I forget) or Expedition to Demonweb Pits.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Though the Wish chaining that makes Pun-Pun possible could be used in many interesting ways.

The methods of starting said wish chain require access to Fiend Folio (or wherever Pazuzu is, I forget) or Expedition to Demonweb Pits.
    Wish chaining is not what makes Pun-Pun possible. Wish chaining combined with Pazuzu is what makes Pun-Pun possible at level one.

The simplest way to get Manipulate Form to start the real shenanigans is to just be a high level Wizard and cast Shapechange. All other builds are just attempts to get the ball rolling at a lower level.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No serpent kingdoms no chance period. Not even a glimmer of hope....

But as the very sick and distorted DM I am, encourage your players to call pazuzu, then see how easy it is to write a campaign about that. Like cutting butter with a blow torch.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

P.S. Pazuzu is from one of the fiendish codex' so without those that isn't even possible.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Depends on level. The lynchpin is Serpent Kingdoms. If that's available, you can do it around level 5 with Divine Minion available, something like 13 with Psionics (and metamorphic transfer), 17 with PHB (shapechange), and with FC at level 1, because Wish chain lulz.