New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

furious dungeon master payback

ok, my players have a major issue the cleric and the paladin players love to text i told them not to text but they wont stop, the same players always question the rules the clerics player mostly how do i get there attention? i want to do this in game so they know that i'm serious
    i'm all for merrymaking but i just dont want them distracting me and the others
    they are low level so i dont wanna out right kill them but how do i give them a proper warning?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: dungeon master payback

If they are texting during combat, just skip their turns. Don't even ask them, just skip on to someone who's paying attention. They'll figure it out soon enough.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Explain to them that they must stop texting during the game? I had the same problem with a player who always played DS games and ignored everything. After I told him stop playing the DS during gaming sessions or leave, he stopped. And was kicked out later for something entirely different.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Start sending them dirty text messages when you see them do it.

A more serious suggestion would be what my group did when one of my players couldn't stop texting his new girlfriend. We stopped everything and just stared at him until he put away his phone, every single time he tried sending a text.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Do not try to solve problems outside the game with retribution inside the game.

Solve problems outside the game outside the game.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post

This. Very much this.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    And this.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-01-26 at 04:50 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Use the skipping idea, but makemthe characters flat-footed and just standing around. Then, have the monsters attack them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    ^^^
    This.

Then tell us what you sent them and their reaction.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If you use the skip option, tell them in advance. Say "I'm sick of you guys texting in game, if you miss something then you miss it. Your turn passes by? Too bad.".

If it works out how mine worked out they'll pay attention at first then start to get back in the habit until you're forced to enforce this new rule (and you HAVE to enforce it).

Then they're very good about it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

@ pffh: I really like your avatar! Is there an image of Albert frying a pudding?

EDIT: It looked better black and white...

@ OP:

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    If they are texting during combat, just skip their turns. Don't even ask them, just skip on to someone who's paying attention. They'll figure it out soon enough.
    I'm sorry to say that I used this. I'm even more sorry to say that it worked like a charm.
    Last edited by Kaww; 2011-01-26 at 04:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    @ pffh: I really like your avatar! Is there an image of Albert frying a pudding?

EDIT: It looked better black and white...
    Thank you and reload the page it randomly switches from black and white to coloured.
    Last edited by pffh; 2011-01-26 at 05:04 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

People don't have a "don't use your phone during the game unless it's an emergency" rule?

Kids these days...

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Amen. I suggest collecting cellphones before the game begins.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Having no cell phones during game time can mean that you can allow them during breaks. But they need to be on silent during game time.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Aww, but with no cell phones allowed at game, how will I secretly tell the GM that I'm screwing over the party doing something on the side?

Some distractions are inevitable, but if they're seriously holding the game up AND you've tried talking to them about it out of game, then yeah - let them know if something comes up and they're too distracted to pay attention to it, that you're going to skip them. Then stick to it. They'll be mad at first, but they'll either shape up or get too mad and leave - and if they can't be bothered to pay attention to the game, your group may be better without them.
    Our Shadowrun game is pretty much one long string of bad ideas, fueled by enthusiasm.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    this is what i've done.... i only leave their phone with them if they let me know that they are keeping an ear out for an emergency call.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You say that the players are always questioning the rules. Thing is, players should rarely have the opportunity to question the rules. Generally, unless you are telling them exactly what it is that you are doing in any particular circumstance, the players shouldn't be able to question you on what's happening.

Other times, however, players questioning the rules are genuinely correct and while it is annoying for them to interrupt the game, in these situations it is only fair for them to do so. D&D is a complicated game in any edition, and sometimes an incorrect interpretation of the rules can literally mean life or death for a PC.

However, I suggest instituting a new rule that, unless the problem is making circumstances difficult for the player, rather than simply an extra +1, or +2 bonus, the question regarding the rules can be left until the end of the game.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mobdrazhar View Post
    this is what i've done.... i only leave their phone with them if they let me know that they are keeping an ear out for an emergency call.
    Yeah, emergency calls are of course important. Since most of my players were minors who needed to ask their parents to pick them up, I usually left their phones with them. It hasn't really been a problem.

As for collecting them, maybe instead of keeping them hidden, my students often put their cellphones alongside each other on a shelf or table away from their work area when they need to focus on group work. That might be a good way to go about it during game days.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    People don't have a "don't use your phone during the game unless it's an emergency" rule?

Kids these days...
    Definately should have this rule, imo. Only "routine" exception I can think of would be for medical personel on call and the like.

EDIT: Note I said "routine." Emergency calls would be an exception. By definition, no emergency should be routine. If someone has emergencies routinely, then maybe they should be doing something about it, rather than playing a game/interrupting other people playing said game.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2011-01-26 at 09:51 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

20. - Top - End - #20

How did this even become an issue of contention? You're the DM. When you start the game or campaign, you set down ground rules. Now I will admit some rules are obvious, but with certian types of players you need to make the rules more specific. Not punching people in the face may seem like an odd rule, but if you have a guy who does this you need to tell him to stop. Same goes for the texting. I personally tell my players that their phones are to on vibrate and that they are not to text anyone. If it is so important that is must interrupt the game (emergencies and the like) then they can take care of it by stepping outside, not by bothering everyone's time for fun.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfBarbarianGuy

look i tried that they dont listion thats why i'm solving it in game becasue its distracting to me and the others

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    i tried that too they wont give them up

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Volos View Post
    How did this even become an issue of contention? You're the DM. When you start the game or campaign, you set down ground rules. Now I will admit some rules are obvious, but with certian types of players you need to make the rules more specific. Not punching people in the face may seem like an odd rule, but if you have a guy who does this you need to tell him to stop. Same goes for the texting. I personally tell my players that their phones are to on vibrate and that they are not to text anyone. If it is so important that is must interrupt the game (emergencies and the like) then they can take care of it by stepping outside, not by bothering everyone's time for fun.
    yes i understand i set the rules but they are too pig headed to listion they keep saying that they wont text but i keep catching them so i'm going to solve it in the most effective way i can think

24. - Top - End - #24

If they won't let their cell phones be and you cannot get them to leave them on a shelf, the I'll skip you if you aren't paying attention approach might work. Just make sure they know about this beforehand.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    look i tried that they dont listion thats why i'm solving it in game becasue its distracting to me and the others
    You can't solve it in-game. It's like trying to hammer in a screw.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #26

If they're not willing to respect your rules and wishes, don't invite them back to play.

27. - Top - End - #27

Use the skip their turn and make them flat footed in game.

Warn them at the outset of the session that "Hey, if you cant leave your cellphone alone and dont pay attention you WILL be skipped and your character WILL be flat footed."

When they start getting smacked more and missing their own opportunities to react, they will figure it out or die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
    If they're not willing to respect your rules and wishes, don't invite them back to play.
    It's not even about "rules or wishes" IMO - they're unwilling to respect the OP and the other players, full stop. Their behaviour is just rude, like coming over for a movie night and spending the whole time chatting away on your phone, and therefore the entirely fair and proportionate response in my view would be to remove their skin with a vegetable peeler and boil them in oil (I'll grant that this may be more of a peeve for me than for most people). Worse than that, they're not just damaging others' enjoyment by distracting them, but since the game is an active thing rather than a passive entertainment like a movie, they're further worsening it for others by not paying attention themselves.

I'd give them a little more of a chance by doing as many have suggested and skipping their turn if they're distracting themselves when it rolls around. If they don't shape up within at most two sessions I'd drop them.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

This is an out of character issue and use of in-character solutions is more then a little, well, petty, in my opinion. If you meet these people outside the game, inform them of your displeasure, tell them that all devices of such natures are to be turned off or on vibrate, and are not to be used at the table. If you don't, do the same before the next game session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

drastic but funny solution;
    You can buy cell phone blockers on ebay or at certain local specialty stores.
    If you've got the extra cash, set one up next session. Heck, see if you can arange to rent one :p

Plug it in before anyone gets there for session, and then watch the looks of confusion as they get error messages and 0 bars of reception in your house.

Then if they want to text, they actively have to go outside, at which point you can very easilly say "They aren't here, we're skipping their turn".