New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #770 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
    So let me get this straight:

Bozzok sent letters to some "friends" to get Ian in Tyrinaria, now known as the Empire of Blood, where he was ultimately caught. It's speculated that these "friends" are the ones who are keeping him from escaping. However, where does it imply that they are Geoff and Ivy, the latter of whom I don't believe we've seen yet? (To be honest, I don't recall hearing the name "Ivy" in this comic until this very strip...)
    No we have not seen Ivy (probably). However we have heard of a cousin sheila from #681 who went round trying to kill family members.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Come on. It seemed instantly obvious to me that Geoff and his wife are selling him out.
    Oh yes, now I've read the other posts that joined the dots, it is obvious to me as well. I didn't think of that simpler explanation at the time though.

The comment "Ivy is a plant" brilliantly encapsulated it for me.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Presumably the other guys in the brunchroom will turn out to be other members of Geoff's organization.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    I donīt see clear if Geoffīs "familiar face" comment of Elan is about Tarquin or Nale.
    There was also a small matter of a parade in Elan's honor. If Ian and Geoff have an outside contact, they might be recognizing Elan from that.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    \Bozzok's statement basically is: "a couple of my accomplices lured Ian to the other continent with a letter, where he was arrested."

Ian's statement basically is: "I was lured here by a letter from Geoff and Ivy, where I was arrested."

I mean, the correspondence between the stories is exact. I can't see how it can't mean that Ivy and Geoff are the henchmen of Bozzok.
    If the Henchmen are guard in the Tarquin's jails, or the police or something. He sends them some money, they arrest a local Starshine on trumped up charges (Or judging by how easy it is to break the law, and how serious they are about laws; catch them breaking a real one) Geroff and Ivy call in Ian for a little old school prison break. But something happens to this other Starshine, (possibly dying in the Arena) which convinces them this guy is EVIL and needs to be brought down, so Ian sticks around for a while, and ends up doing a much longer life sentence than the judge expected.

For Bozzok to be sure Ian would stay, his henchmen might have been behind ensuring the prisoner's death in the Arena too.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silas the monk View Post
    No we have not seen Ivy (probably). However we have heard of a cousin sheila from #681 who went round trying to kill family members.
    I thought she just framed them for murder.

At least according to the context of elan's immediatly previous statement.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
    So let me get this straight:

Bozzok sent letters to some "friends" to get Ian in Tyrinaria, now known as the Empire of Blood, where he was ultimately caught. It's speculated that these "friends" are the ones who are keeping him from escaping. However, where does it imply that they are Geoff and Ivy, the latter of whom I don't believe we've seen yet? (To be honest, I don't recall hearing the name "Ivy" in this comic until this very strip...)
    "My sister asked me to come help her and her husband with this whole rebellion thing" - Ian
    Ian wouldn't have come to Tyrinar / The EoBlood had it not been for Ivy's persuasion.

Incidentally, I'm only noticing now that Ian describes Ivy as being capable of smuggling in meals. That suggests she's in a relatively comfortable position, having not only the benefit of extra food but also the benefit of sneaking in and out of a prison that even Ian couldn't escape.

8. - Top - End - #128

GreenSorcererElf

The main problem with Geoff being a stoolie is that he's been in a horrible prison for two years where the average life expectancy is "a couple weeks, tops." Ian and Geoff may not be in much danger these days, but they did fight a lot previously, as witness his missing leg.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

9. - Top - End - #129
    Firbolg in the Playground

Weird, I JUST noticed the horrified expression on Haley's face in the last panel. I guess I was too busy viewing Elan's adorable grin.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing_Fox View Post
    Every prisoner has to wear sandals though . . .

Bottom has an easily identifiable tread? Or makes a mark only visible to some?
    Where are you getting the idea that every prisoner has to wear sandals? For whatever reason, that only applies to Belkar. Everyone else is wearing their regular footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by silas the monk View Post
    Presumably the other guys in the brunchroom will turn out to be other members of Geoff's organization.
    I'm really not seeing the connection.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2011-01-27 at 08:23 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    The main problem with Geoff being a stoolie is that he's been in a horrible prison for two years where the average life expectancy is "a couple weeks, tops." Ian and Geoff may not be in much danger these days, but they did fight a lot previously, as witness his missing leg.
    That just means that Bozzok is paying him enough to make it worth his time.

Remember, this is a world where regaining a lost leg (or even being raised from the dead) is only a cleric spell away. Geoff may be making enough money from this deal that he figures Ivy can just pay to have him raised/regenerated/whatever afterwards, with enough left over to make them rich for life.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

12. - Top - End - #132

That suggests she's in a relatively comfortable position, having not only the benefit of extra food but also the benefit of sneaking in and out of a prison that even Ian couldn't escape.
    And *that* puts her in a position where she may well be able to get information about escape attempts to the guards.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Weird, I JUST noticed the horrified expression on Haley's face in the last panel. I guess I was too busy viewing Elan's adorable grin.
    Yeah, but that look is probably one of momentary surprise, rather than "I question my ability to handle this."

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Yeah, but that look is probably one of momentary surprise, rather than "I question my ability to handle this."
    I don't think she's had TIME to question her ability to handle it, she's still at a mind block because her uncle is holding a knife to her boyfriend and leering (that final panel is a GOOD one for facial expressions).
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    her uncle is holding a knife to her boyfriend and leering (that final panel is a GOOD one for facial expressions).
    I don't know about Haley's lack of action, but I do agree on one thing. That man is totally leering- that and the goatee? Evil!

16. - Top - End - #136

OldWizardGuy

I love Belkar's comment about the empty room. Oots is always at it's best when it gets Metta.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

I didn't notice on the first reading that what Geoff was holding wasn't actually a dagger, as it is missing the hilt. Looks like just a naked blade... which make sense as an improvised or smuggled prison weapon. Nice attention to details.

I wonder if he's been hiding it in his peg-leg....
    Last edited by St Fan; 2011-01-28 at 03:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Lizardfolk

tongue Re: OOTS #770 - The Discussion Thread

Strip 330
    Oracle: "Now c'mon, I haven't got all day, and the two of you are running late for a pair of family reunions."

340 strips later the prophecy is fulfilled!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Snuggles View Post
    Strip 330
    Oracle: "Now c'mon, I haven't got all day, and the two of you are running late for a pair of family reunions."

340 strips later the prophecy is fulfilled!
    What? The Oracle was talking to Roy and Elan when he said that, not Haley, and the "running late" part implies those reunions were due to take place very soon. He was referring to the encounter with Nale and Julia in Cliffport.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2011-02-03 at 12:17 AM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

20. - Top - End - #140

"Don't worry, Haley. There are still no guards coming."

Why is the stupid character always so ENDLESSLY HILARIOUS?!?!?!?!

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadn4ught View Post

I agree that he's hilarious, and I agree he's not too bright, but I don't see how he's being particularly stupid in this case ....

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadn4ught View Post

To keep the perpetual drama and angst from overtaking the comic.
    I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Neutral Human Druid/Bard (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 9
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 12
    Wisdom - 10
    Charisma - 9

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure! Blame the brother-in-law! Well, I for one, am will to stump for Geoff's loyalty!
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2011-01-28 at 10:32 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Before we get too complacent about the fact that the guy who captured Elan is Haley's uncle, it's probably a good idea to remember that we suspect Geoff is in on the plot to prevent Ian's escape.

The one guy in the prison who we suspect wants Haley's attempt to fail has a blade at Elan's throat.

25. - Top - End - #145

There was also a small matter of a parade in Elan's honor. If Ian and Geoff have an outside contact, they might be recognizing Elan from that.
    And donīt recognize Haley with him in the parade?
    Besides, not even the guards knew about Elan.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

26. - Top - End - #146

Everybody's saying that Geoff is evil for holding Elan hostage, but the fact is that Ian and Geoff don't know that Elan's not a bad guy. They just know that he's the son of the evil "puppet master," so to speak, and therefore think he's just as evil as his son
    My Avatar Adoption Center
    (I take personal avatar requests!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a True Neutral Gnome Bard (1st level)

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMuffin View Post
    Everybody's saying that Geoff is evil for holding Elan hostage, but the fact is that Ian and Geoff don't know that Elan's not a bad guy. They just know that he's the son of the evil "puppet master," so to speak, and therefore think he's just as evil as his son
    Well, unless Geoff really is in touch with the powers that be, and has been steadily betraying his brother-in-law since before he came there, in which case he might well know who Elan really is.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Or they might think he's Nale, considering they're identical apart from the goatee, and they ought to know darned well that Nale is evil!

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Or they might think he's Nale, considering they're identical apart from the goatee, and they ought to know darned well that Nale is evil!
    Something tells me that even if Geoff isn't evil, he's gonna have a hard time with "goatees are evil".
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

If that's the case, things may get pretty ugly if Ian hears his daughter is dating the son of the tyrant he opposes. But if Geoff is evil (holding Elan hostage notwithstanding) and openly betrays Ian, he's probably going to have to rethink his whole "trust no one but family" mindset. I just hope father and daughter would be able to reconcile their differences before the end. Then again, the Oracle did say only and/or at least Elan would get a happy ending... (Sure that doesn't guarantee Haley won't get one, but still.)
    Last edited by immblueversion; 2011-01-28 at 01:57 PM.
    I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Neutral Human Druid/Bard (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 9
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 12
    Wisdom - 10
    Charisma - 9