New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [PF] Tome of Battle Concentration substitute?

One of the things I like about Pathfinder is the skill overhaul, making adventurers more likely to be competent at adventuring that doesn't involve hitting things that jingle and whatnot. I also like having my 3.5 splatbooks available and Tome of Battle in particular.

The issue, as evidenced by the title, is since Concentration got cut as a skill for being a class feature, this leaves Diamond Mind and its heavy use of Concentration high and dry. I'm sure I'm not the first to come across this problem, so what does the Playground do in this situation? Since we're talking this, what skills do we substitute in for skills that got absorbed/replaced in other disciplines?

{table=head]Discipline|Former Associated Skill|Suggested PF Associated Skill

Desert Wind|Tumble|Acrobatics

Devoted Spirit|Intimidate|Intimidate

Diamond Mind|Concentration|Perception/Autohypnosis

Iron Heart|Balance|Acrobatics

Setting Sun|Sense Motive|Sense Motive

Shadow Hand|Hide|Stealth

Stone Dragon|Balance|Acrobatics

Tiger Claw|Jump|Acrobatics

White Raven|Diplomacy|Diplomacy[/table]

...okay, maybe it all works out fairly easily except for Diamond Mind, with a preponderance of Acrobatics substitutions, which coincidentally makes getting into Master of Nine that much harder to get into...

EDIT: Consensus says Perception if core PF, Autohypnosis if Psionics Unleashed/XPH are on the table. Thanks Playground!
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-01-27 at 02:44 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Tome of Battle Concentration substitute?

You know, even though it doesn't convert directly from Concentration, I think Perception fits best for Diamond Mind and its maneuvers.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

A friend of mine tested using Autohypnosis with the psionic flavor filed off. It doesn't work too badly, and the actual mechanics of the skill fit nicely with Diamond Mind as well as Iron Heart.

As a bonus, we also discovered that it works excellently for even non-psionic characters to express a warrior who is just supremely disciplined and awesome. Maybe you should give it to fighters.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    You know, even though it doesn't convert directly from Concentration, I think Perception fits best for Diamond Mind and its maneuvers.
    Hmm, Perception wouldn't be bad for some of the strikes, though it's a bit jarring when we talk about the save replacers, like Moment of Perfect Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Caphi View Post
    A friend of mine tested using Autohypnosis with the psionic flavor filed off. It doesn't work too badly, and the actual mechanics of the skill fit nicely with Diamond Mind as well as Iron Heart.

As a bonus, we also discovered that it works excellently for even non-psionic characters to express a warrior who is just supremely disciplined and awesome. Maybe you should give it to fighters.
    Not a bad idea, as I've always been a fan of the skill, though it's not technically a PF skill, unless we look at Psionics Unleashed. Still, I've always been of the thought that combining Autohypnosis and Concentration into one skill in regular 3.5 would be a good move and carrying on with that here wouldn't be bad, either.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're so perceptive that you understand the nature of the incoming attack, and can adapt accordingly? Makes sense for reflex, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I vote for Autohypnosis. It fits the flavour best: Diamond Mind is supposed to be all about inner balance.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

+1 on Autohypnosis.

Iaijutsu Focus would also work, without any change to fluff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Hmm, Perception wouldn't be bad for some of the strikes, though it's a bit jarring when we talk about the save replacers, like Moment of Perfect Mind.
    Keep in mind that 'perception' is a very mental thing - it's not just 'senses'. But if you are using Psionics Unleashed, Autohypnosis is the most direct analogue. It always was more or less the same thing.

edit: this is stupid, obviously you're using 3.5 material regardless of whether PF is in play or you wouldn't be talking about ToB. Autohypnosis is still in just by default.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-01-26 at 08:14 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not a bad idea, as I've always been a fan of the skill, though it's not technically a PF skill, unless we look at Psionics Unleashed. Still, I've always been of the thought that combining Autohypnosis and Concentration into one skill in regular 3.5 would be a good move and carrying on with that here wouldn't be bad, either.
    For a detailed look at the differences between 3.5 and PF Autohypnosis, see my sig.

(And throw my vote there as well)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10

Autohypnosis would work, but I'm not sure about choosing it, because it's not really a "standard" skill, is it? Or just give all ToB classes Autohypnosis as a class skill, that would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    Autohypnosis would work, but I'm not sure about choosing it, because it's not really a "standard" skill, is it? Or just give all ToB classes Autohypnosis as a class skill, that would work.
    While this is certainly feasible - whether something is a class skill or not isn't nearly as big a deal in Pathfinder
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    You're so perceptive that you understand the nature of the incoming attack, and can adapt accordingly? Makes sense for reflex, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Keep in mind that 'perception' is a very mental thing - it's not just 'senses'. But if you are using Psionics Unleashed, Autohypnosis is the most direct analogue. It always was more or less the same thing.

edit: this is stupid, obviously you're using 3.5 material regardless of whether PF is in play or you wouldn't be talking about ToB. Autohypnosis is still in just by default.
    On Perception, yeah, that does actually make a lot of sense, put that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I vote for Autohypnosis. It fits the flavour best: Diamond Mind is supposed to be all about inner balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    +1 on Autohypnosis.

Iaijutsu Focus would also work, without any change to fluff.
    I agree on Autohypnosis, as I said earlier, though not so sure on Iaijutsu Focus, as Diamond Mind kinda has that bit covered via the strikes and is not quite the same as the inner balance of Autohypnosis.

So, basically, the consensus is Perception if we're just talking core PF, Autohypnosis if Psionics Unleashed/XPH if they're available (not necessarily in my case, my RL DM has a weird knee jerk banning reaction to psionics that I don't quite grok). Thanks, all!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not really a fan of splitting the skills involved by school - increases the number of skills you have to raise if you aren't a die hard focus on one class. My DM and I were discussing doing it as an initiator level + important stat for class check(Wis for swordsages, Cha for Crusaders?) ala spellcasters, but that's still under debate.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gourdcaptain View Post
    Not really a fan of splitting the skills involved by school - increases the number of skills you have to raise if you aren't a die hard focus on one class.
    Not all schools require investment to their key skill, or even benefit from it.
    • There's one Desert Wind stance that depends on Tumble ranks.
    • No White Raven maneuver has any interaction with Diplomacy.
    • No Devoted Spirit maneuver has any interaction with Intimidate.
    • No Iron Heart or Stone Dragon maneuver has any interaction with Balance.
    I don't recall any Shadow Hand maneuver specifically needing Hide, though some of them benefit from it. I can only think of one Setting Sun maneuver that builds on Sense Motive.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Not all schools require investment to their key skill, or even benefit from it.
    • There's one Desert Wind stance that depends on Tumble ranks.
    • No White Raven maneuver has any interaction with Diplomacy.
    • No Devoted Spirit maneuver has any interaction with Intimidate.
    • No Iron Heart or Stone Dragon maneuver has any interaction with Balance.
    I don't recall any Shadow Hand maneuver specifically needing Hide, though some of them benefit from it. I can only think of one Setting Sun maneuver that builds on Sense Motive.
    I probably wouldn't have bothered with this thread at all if Diamond Mind wasn't so Concentration heavy but it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You could make a separate skill for it, like "Old School Concentration," or use 3.5's Concentration instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    You could make a separate skill for it, like "Old School Concentration," or use 3.5's Concentration instead.
    Nah, making a skill just so I have a skill to use seems not worthwhile.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    My PF casters/manifesters would grab that in a heartbeat, taking Human Paragon or even cross-class ranks if necessary.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My PF casters/manifesters would grab that in a heartbeat, taking Human Paragon or even cross-class ranks if necessary.
    Idk if that would work the way you think it does but that's the area of brew at this point.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Make Concentration checks the Pathfinder way?
    Though you now have to decide now what counts as the 'casting stat'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could use Constitution, the original stat for Concentration and at least a secondary stat for all martial adepts. You could use Wisdom, the stat that sets the save DCs of all of the Diamond Mind maneuvers with saves. Or you could use the stat that each of the three martial adepts focuses on in a tertiary manner (Wis for Swordsage, Int for Warblade, Cha for Crusader), but that does leave non-martial adepts who got access another way out in the cold.
    Last edited by Garryl; 2011-01-27 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typos

22. - Top - End - #22

Idk if that would work the way you think it does but that's the area of brew at this point.
    It's a skill. That automatically makes it better than Pathfinder Concentration, because a skill is far easier to boost than a caster level check (which is how Concentration works in PF.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23

How about sense motive? I think it kind of goes along with the whole "an enemy defeated in the mind's battlefield" flavor. Also, it fits with maneuvers to replace a skill check for saves. You sense what your enemy is about to do and act accordingly.
    It's also kind of amusing with the Con check to do damage deal. "I perceive my enemy so well I'm going to damage him with my mind!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by begooler View Post
    How about sense motive? I think it kind of goes along with the whole "an enemy defeated in the mind's battlefield" flavor. Also, it fits with maneuvers to replace a skill check for saves. You sense what your enemy is about to do and act accordingly.
    It's also kind of amusing with the Con check to do damage deal. "I perceive my enemy so well I'm going to damage him with my mind!"
    Perhaps you are not talking about the skill you think you are...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by begooler View Post
    Sense Motive is used more as a "turn opponent's strengths against him" with Setting Sun.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Sense Motive is used more as a "turn opponent's strengths against him" with Setting Sun.
    This - Sense Motive is already in use, unfortunately.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Make Concentration checks the Pathfinder way?
    Though you now have to decide now what counts as the 'casting stat'.
    This also makes multiclassing much worse, as well as dropping a feat on, say Concentrate for Reflex becoming pretty useless.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This - Sense Motive is already in use, unfortunately.
    Didn't realize we wanted one unique skill for each sense acrobatics ended up substituting most of the skills. In which case, I agree perception/autohypnosis are right on.

I was kinda excited about the idea of someone rolling a social skill check to inflict damage.