New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default WarBlade Weapon Aptitude

I had a question about Weapon Aptitude, from the Warblade class. Could you use that ability to change weapon proficiency feats from one weapon to another? Could this be used to change proficiency with one of the martial weapons you get as a default to an exotic weapon?

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WarBlade Weapon Aptitude

As far as I can tell, no. The default profs you get aren't feats, but are a class feature.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbaerrohwen View Post
    I had a question about Weapon Aptitude, from the Warblade class. Could you use that ability to change weapon proficiency feats from one weapon to another? Could this be used to change proficiency with one of the martial weapons you get as a default to an exotic weapon?

Thanks.
    I'm relatively certain that the Warblade Weapon Aptitude ability only allows you to change the weapon that a feat applies to, rather than the feat. It might be debatable if you could swap a Martial Weapon Proficiency for a weapon you are proficient with for one you don't have, like one of the ranged weapons (though I sincerely doubt it). However, I think you certainly can't have it work for a feat you don't already have, in this case Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

In short, no you can't get Exotic Weapon Proficiency for free.

Edit: I agree with Aslan_Cross, I'm always leery of anytime someone describes racial/class proficiencies as feats just because you can gain them from feats as well (for example, as seen in the elf Dark Chaos Shuffle that gets mentioned every so often).
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2011-01-27 at 08:45 PM.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You can change Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Doubleswords) into Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Superduperswords), but you couldn't change Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longswords) into Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Doubleswords or Superduperswords), because that's not the same feat.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingPirate

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also note that weapon aptitude applies to feats for a single weapon, not to weapon groups, so even if your class proficiency did count as 'a feat' it would still not be applicable since you can only change feats that apply to a single weapon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    Edit: I agree with Aslan_Cross, I'm always leery of anytime someone describes racial/class proficiencies as feats just because you can gain them from feats as well (for example, as seen in the elf Dark Chaos Shuffle that gets mentioned every so often).
    It's totally legit with a Chaos Shuffle, albeit extraordinarily cheesy.

Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    It's totally legit with a Chaos Shuffle, albeit extraordinarily cheesy.
    Chaos Shuffle hurts my soul. Whenever someone brings it up I throw-up in my mouth a little bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

You probably could if you are using the UA weapongroup variant.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links: