New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How would you DM a players kingdom-building?

Hello all. In a D&D game I'm running at the moment, my player has expressed an interest in building a small village into a mighty kingdom. Now, as the setting I'm running is the 'points of light' style, so it really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Have any of you ever done anything like this before? If so, how did you do it? Did you use maps and resources, or just kind of RP'd the advancement of the village/town/city as you went along?

I'd be very interested in suggestions as to how you could run 'nationbuilding' as part of a D&D campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How would you DM a players kingdom-building?

Is he staying in the village while the building all happens? Is he taking part in the building?
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Before I say anything else, I'm not familiar with Points of Light.

I really don't see how it would be any different from normal RPing. Assuming your players are at a somewhat-high level, say 14+, they are powerful by themselves and they are already making decisions that affect hundreds, thousands or even millions of people.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    Is he staying in the village while the building all happens? Is he taking part in the building?
    Well so far its looking like he is going to get exiled from the kingdom along with a bunch of other subversives and sent to a far off land with only the tools needed to survive. Obviously, he'll want the people sent with him to thrive and prosper so he can take revenge on those that exiled him.

(Well, thats the plan, haha)

And he's planning on setting himself up as the leader of whatever village he ends up ruling, helping them grow, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Spoilers for anyone playing Pathfinder's Kingmaker adventure path:
    Spoiler
    Show

The above-mentioned Kingmaker adventure path has rules for just this kind of nation-building. City-building starts in the second module "Rivers Run Red." It should be easy to adapt those rules for your own use. Just be warned it sort of assumes you'll be skipping forward months at a time while things are built.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Spoilers for anyone playing Pathfinder's Kingmaker adventure path:
    Spoiler
    Show

The above-mentioned Kingmaker adventure path has rules for just this kind of nation-building. City-building starts in the second module "Rivers Run Red." It should be easy to adapt those rules for your own use. Just be warned it sort of assumes you'll be skipping forward months at a time while things are built.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, if you don't want to spend the boodle to buy an adventure path for a fairly small part of the actual text, this may please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding