New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Flammie (3.5e Monster Race, LA +0)[PEACH]

Lore: Flammies have existed, and always will exist in the depths of the multiverse in their own little plane of existence completely distinct from any other known plane. It is a paradise, but for a race that seeks knowledge and to experience what the realms have to offer, it is a very boring paradise. Thus, as a whole the race is always waiting for the mortal to bring them into existence so that they can arrive in the mortal's realm of choice and begin experiencing a world both alien and familiar. As such, it is extremely easy for a unfocused mortal to bring one into existence.

Alignment: As a Race, Almost all are some form of good. Given that new life doesn't really exist for them, any flammie brought into existence has the memories of their home realm and past existences, even if they can't act on them, and as such even the evilist flammie in their home plane is probably closest to true neutral because power is completely useless in their home, and as such makes the kind of world annihilating evil that comes up in the material plane kind of pointless when no one can die.

Personality: As a whole, very childlike and full of wonder. Even if each flammie could be older than some planets, they are in the realm of their own will for nothing more than experiencing the world and what it has to offer, and will take every experience they can get. A Flammie could, and indeed might, for example put a paw in boiling water to see how that unique form of pain feels. If a caster, they may use their spells for completely frivolous things, such as throwing a sonic spell at a rock to see the reverberations, or sending a sphere of annihilation at a forest because they haven't seen it done before. However, when they have someone to protect or have made a friend they will be deathly loyal to them and their desire to experience everything will take a backseat to the company of their friend, and will in general do what is asked of them if it's reasonable.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

Flammie
    Type: Dragon (Air)
    Medium Size
    30' movement speed

Flight speed: Starting at 6 HD, gain a 10' fly speed +10' more for every 3 HD past 6 (20 at 9, 30 at 12, etc.). Perfect manuverability

Quadrupedal: A Flammie normally walks on all fours, Although if necessary a Flammie can walk on two legs at 15' speed and use their forelegs for manipulation, but they cannot fight like that. Because of this quality, their carrying capacity is twice that of a bipedal creature and reach increases as for a quadrupedal creature upon size changes. As normal for quadrupedal creatures, they can use barding, although as a whole the race prefers the feel of the winds on it's fur and usually avoids manufactured armor.

Moonlit Sustenance: Due to the odd nature of their form and internal chemistry, a flammie can gain susentence from one hour of starlight or moonlight. However, if they cannot access this source, they need to eat 10x normal for a humanoid. The phase of the moon if irrelevant for this ability, as long as the flammie has a unobstructed path to the skies above at night this ability activates.

Knowledge Seeker: All Flammies start with one knowledge as a class skill (Flammie's choice), and gain a +2 racial bonus to it. As well, a Flammie may make any knowledge check untrained, and may add Nd4-2N to any knowledge check made, where N is equal to half the flammie's HD. This does not apply to anything that would change significantly in 100 years.

Natural Weapons: A flammie starts with 2 claws (1d6) Primary and 1 bite (1d8). and at level 10 they add 1 (1d6) wing attack. At level 15 they get the other wing attack (1d6) The claws are primary, all others are secondary. All of the natural weapons count as monk weapons, and the claws can be used for iteratives. Due to their quadrepedal nature, they cannot use conventional weapons unless specially designed, but see the secondary effect of breath of Disjunction

Sizechanger (Ex): A Flammie can spend a number of rounds each day equal to their level times 1 + their con bonus in a size one above or one below their current size. This gives no increase in stats, but normal size changes apply. Manufactured weapons and armor do not change with this transformation. It is a swift action to activate and a free to end.

Oncce 7 HD are attained, if desired the size modifcation can be increased one step further, but while in this form any form of combat reverts it down one size (To a maximum of huge outside of combat, large in combat, and a minimum of tiny out of combat, small in combat). As well, provided the Flammie is not in combat this size can be maintained without draining their daily usage of the ability. At 14 HD, the size modification is increased yet another step, to a maximum of Gargantuan outside of combat, large in combat, and a minimum of Diminutive out of combat, small in combat

Breath of Disjunction (Su):
    Primary Effect: This comes into play if the breath is used on a unattended Magical Item, provided that this item can be equipped to a normal body slot. It takes 10 minutes of focus on a item to convert it's energy into a form the Flammie can modify. Once completed, the item transferred to the flammie's form in the same approximate location and takes up the same body slot as the item would normally. Artifacts cannot be transferred in this fashion unless the Flammie is level 20 or above. If another item is converted the Flammie can choose which enchantment to replace, but only one enchantment can occupy one body slot. The Flammie can choose whether to display this enchantment or not, and the appearance is also up to the Flammie to designate. The item still exists in a manner of speaking, and can still be targeted by dispel magic as normal. However, the enchantment is immune to disjunction. Regardless, the magical auras persist in the same locations even if not visible. There are 2 weapon slots (Representing the 2 claws), and one armor slot. If a weapon, armor, or something with a effective enhancement bonus is converted, then the following applies:

The Flammie can choose any enchantments on the armor or weapon and transfer it to their natural armor or claws, adding to the effective enhancement bonus of their natural armor or claws, and causing the base item to lose those bonuses. Each claw and the natural armor are separate body slots, and must be enchanted independently. As well, then can choose instead of take on certain bonuses instead of transferring the full effect, paying the normal cost for enchanting a item if their base effective enchantment bonus increases.

For example, let's say he starts with these items.
    A) +5 soulfire padded armor
    B) +1 Heavy Fortification padded armor,

He starts off with B equipped, leaving

A) +5 soulfire padded armor
    B) padded armor,
    Equipped: +1 Heavy Fortification Natural Armor

He decides he wants a +5 Heavy Fortification Natural Armor, So he starts by adopting armor A to bring him up to a +9 enhancement bonus:

A) padded armor
    B) +1 Heavy Fortification padded armor,
    Equipped: +5 soulfire Natural Armor

then for the armor he wants he has to swap soulfire for heavy fortification, which would bring him up to a +10 enhancement bonus. He does not have a +10 armor, so he has to pay the difference between a +9 and a +10 item to complete the swap, leaving;

A) padded armor
    B) +1 soulfire padded armor,
    Equipped: +5 Heavy Fortification Natural Armor
    lost 19k gold to do so.

This logic can also apply to any other items and use a similar process to determine cost.

There is also an option when using the breath on a piece of non-magical armor to adopt the non-magical bonuses of the armor, but doing so turns the armor to dust (Non-Magical meaning AC (Although the AC is converted to natural armor), ACP, ASF, Max dex, and so on. Speed reduction and penalties of heavy and medium armor do apply). When this property is used scaled plates grow all along the flammie's form, such that heavy armor almost entirely covers them and could allow them to pass for a normal dragon.

DM option: If the DM allows, if one claw has no enchantments and the other is, then both claws make take on the same enchantments

Racial Feats:

Force Spit
    Requirements: Flammie, Con 13
    Gain a Spit Attack that does 1d4+1d4/2 levels force damage as a ranged touch attack, with a 1d4+1 round cooldown. Range increment of 25' + 5' per 2 HD, and can go up to 10 increments.

Tail Attack
    Requirements: Flammie, 6+ HD
    Gain a 1d8 tail attack

Force Breath
    Requirements: Flammie, Con 15, Force Spit

Gain 2 alternate forms for the force spit. Either form doubles the cooldown to 2d4+2 rounds. Neither effect can be saved against

Choice 1: Force spit turns into a line of multicolored energy that is breathed out. it has a range equal to 1 range increment at 1 HD, and increases by one increment for every 5 HD (1 at 5, 2 at 10, 3 at 15, etc.)
    Choice 2: Force spit becomes a splash attack, affecting any adjacent creatures to the target if the attack hits. The attack must land on a enemy target for the splash to occur, you cannot pick a empty square to target this ability on. The splash hits all targets adjacent to the target creature, provided the target only takes up one square. if the target takes up more than one square, pick one that the target occupies as the originator for the effect. The range of the splash increases with your HD, 5' range for every 5 HD the Flammie posseses. This hits the middle of the square for the purposes of area.
    I.E.
    ASCII drawing of the aoe effect
    Spoiler
    Show

1-5 HD
    XXXXX
    XXOXX
    XOTOX
    XXOXX
    XXXXX
    6-10 HD
    XXOXX
    XOOOX
    OOTOO
    XOOOX
    XXOXX
    11-15 HD
    XXXOXXX
    XXOOOXX
    XOOOOOX
    OOOTOOO
    XOOOOOX
    XXOOOXX
    XXXOXXX
    etc.

I posted this race a while back on the forums, and it was mentioned as being very underpowered, so I took the criticism and ran with it, and this is where I currently have the idea. The goal is to have a dragonic race that doesn't use conventional armor or weapons, but is not powerful enough to merit a LA, So, I pose it to the forums to rip apart and give me advice on how to balance it for that LA.

Please, PEACH, this is only my second real foray into fiddling seriously with homebrew. Formatting advice is also welcome and I will edit the post per advice.
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-28 at 03:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Flammie (3.5e Monster Race, LA +0)[PEACH]

Always glad to see new homebrewers around but... how is this +0 LA?

It gets six natural weapons, flying 200 feet (what maneuverability by the way?), Enlarges itself to colossal or shrink itself to fine at will, and disjoins magical items at will except that the breath is somewhat better than disjunction (as far as magical items are concerned) as the magic is transported to you rather than being lost forever and biting into your WBL.

While it's true that this race loses ranged weaponry (unless they get the throwing enchantment [ow ] or just fly up to enemies) and a bit of AC (unless they absorb bracers of armor), trying to "make up" for that creates a class that looks a bit overpowered in all other ways.

Coonsidering that this class effectively grants two high-level Wu-Jen spells at will, a flight speed better than any single spell can grant, and enough natural weapons to make iterative attacks look pointless even with full BAB and a speed weapon, it probably deserves some LA (if not a lot of it).
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, then in your opinion is there any saving the sizechange aspect? It is worth mentioning there is no stat modifers for changing and it doesn't augment weapons or armor, so making about the highest you could go at level 20 is 4d6 claw attacks in exchange for not fitting anywhere. While colossal is intimidating, all that's really gained is bonuses to combat manuvers and reach, in exchange for -4 atk and AC, and dmg die of weapons goes up by a bit. conversely, small size might be a bit strong if it's not a melee character, might be worth putting in a clause that spellcasters can't shrink down

the breath was mostly intended as a means to a end (race that doesn't use armor or weapons normally), so the actual primary could be dropped and just leave the secondary effect.

how do you get 200' flight though? 20 at level 8, 30 at 10, 60 at 15, 100 at 20, I don't think it's that bad, although admitted it doesn't compare to the level 3 fly spell

I'd like to keep the natural weapons, but it could be toned down, but keep in mind a lot of these abilites are scaling ones, although I will admit 6 natural attacks at 10 is a bit much, I'll fix that a bit, maybe just make it start with 3 and get one every 7-10 levels or so
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-24 at 07:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by soulsabre345 View Post
    Alright, then in your opinion is there any saving the sizechange aspect? It is worth mentioning there is no stat modifers for changing and it doesn't augment weapons or armor, so making about the highest you could go at level 20 is 4d6 claw attacks in exchange for not fitting anywhere. While colossal is intimidating, all that's really gained is bonuses to combat manuvers and reach, in exchange for -4 atk and AC, and dmg die of weapons goes up by a bit. conversely, small size might be a bit strong if it's not a melee character, might be worth putting in a clause that spellcasters can't shrink down
    Giving something reach that long is just begging for uber-tripper shenanigans. I'd say that +10 damage/+16 Intimidate/+16 Maneuvers/Incredible Reach/x16 carrying capacity/resistance to wind effects and swallow hole/meeting prerequisites for a bunch of nifty monstrous feats is worth the -4 atk/-4 ac/not fitting in small rooms (which would only come up in pure dungeon crawls). Likewise, I'd say that being fine is a pretty big advantage all by itself. As adding a clause stopping spellcasters from shrinking might sound a tad arbitrary (what, only mighty warriors can become wimps? ). If you really want to keep some form of this ability, I'd have a reduce person/enlarge person effect that you can activate as a free action and that you can utilize for a number of rounds each day (need not be continuous) equal to your character level + Con modifier. More than one size category is kind of begging for trouble.

the breath was mostly intended as a means to a end (race that doesn't use armor or weapons normally), so the actual primary could be dropped and just leave the secondary effect.
    What I suggest here is changing it so that 10 minutes of contact (rather than a standard action breath weapon) is needed to absorb items. That way, you can't suddenly shut off an opponent's gear.
    Also, you should probably state what happens when a second magical effect is assigned to the same item slot (I assume that the old one is replaced but I can't be sure) and should also mention if the ability works on artifacts (though I suspect not).

[how do you get 200' flight though? 20 at level 8, 30 at 10, 60 at 15, 100 at 20, I don't think it's that bad, although admitted it doesn't compare to the level 3 fly spell
    Because of the way that the ability is worded, it looks like your fly speed for levels 16-20 is 10' per HD (applied even retroactively). Therefore, 200' speed. Even if that isn't the case, 100 feet is more than any +0 LA race reaches, even if you have to wait for it. Putting aside the fact that raptorans and dragonborn have to wait several levels to get their flying, 60 ft. speed for anything seems to be the cap (if even that much). Maybe 30 feet at 5th level and 60 at 15th?
    I know that this race is missing out on stuff (at least in theory) but the ability to move tactically in three dimensions at low levels generally isn't considered balanced.

I'd like to keep the natural weapons, but it could be toned down, but keep in mind a lot of these abilites are scaling ones, although I will admit 6 natural attacks at 10 is a bit much, I'll fix that a bit, maybe just make it start with 3 and get one every 7-10 levels or so
    [/quote]

Staying with 3 at 1st level should be okay as there's a Favored Soul ACF that does the same thing. As for more, I'm not sure.

Over-all Thoughts: putting yourself in a position where you have crippled a race in some way (no weapons/armor) and seek to re-balance it again with buffs is a precarious position to be with.
    Honestly, I'd give this guy a spit-fire (rather than cone-shaped) breath weapon needing a touch attack that deals real damage (maybe 1d4 + 1d4/2 levels) and giving this guy some scaling natural armor (+2 +1/3 levels?), helping to take care of the so-called flaws of this race.
    That done, I'd remove/debuff the compensatory racial features (other than absorbing magical item effects, of course) and turn them (at least in a weakened form) into racial feats.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

A result of a powerful wizard becoming tired of the abundance of magic items and that they were growing in number unabated, he sought to create a race that could bring balance to the number of items in the world, but in itself would not become a plague to the world, so after much deliberation used his vast power to create the Flammies.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

Flammie

30' movement speed

Flight speed: From 1-8 HD, gain 5' speed for every 2 HD, 9-15 HD, 5' speed for every HD, 16-20 10' speed per HD. Manuverability is poor until 8, then good until 15, then perfect from that point on

Quadrupedal: A Flammie normally walks on all fours, Although if necessary a Flammie can walk on two legs at 15' speed and use their forelegs for manipulation, but they cannot fight like that. Because of this quality, their carrying capacity is twice that of a bipedal creature and reach increases as for a quadrupedal creature upon size changes.

Moonlit Sustenance: Due to the odd nature of their form and internal chemistry, a flammie can gain susentence from one hour of starlight or moonlight. However, if they cannot access this source, they need to eat 10x normal for a humanoid.

Natural Appraiser: Appraise is always a class skill and +2 racial to it

Natural Weapons: A flammie starts with 2 claws (1d6) and 1 bite (1d8). and at level 10 they add 1 (1d6) wing attack. At level 15 they get the other wing attack (1d6) All of the natural weapons count as monk weapons, and the claws can be used for iteratives. Due to their quadrepedal nature, they cannot use conventional weapons unless specially designed, but see the secondary effect of breath of Disjunction

Sizechanger (Ex): At will, Flammie can change their size a number of categories depending on their level. It normally takes 1 minute to transform, and it increases/decreases size by one step. However, a Flammie can opt to transform quickly a number of times per day equal to 3 + con mod, where it takes a full round action that provokes AoO. Any damage taken during transformation cancels the ability, but does not expend a use. All normal benefits/ penalties of changing size apply, including increase/decrease of natural attack damage die. The maximum size increase or decrease is 1 per 5 HD, up to 4 sizes at 20. If done slowly, size must go step by step. If done quickly, then the change can be a number of categories equal to the maximum. Because this is not a magical transformation, any armor or weapons used do not change size with it, and if a Flammie becomes too big for their armor they will shred it such that it needs to be repaired.

On chopping block ATM:
    Spoiler
    Show

Primary effect: A flammie has the unique ability to disjoin the magic from Magial Items. at will, The flammie can spend up to two rounds per level focusing their breath weapon on a object, with a maximum of the flammie's con score. The item if not attended must make a save (Their highest save regardless of type) with a DC equal to the rounds spend in focus. If the item is attended, then use the master's or item's saves, whichever is higher. If successful, then the magic is Disjoined from the item and transferred to the equivalent body slot on the Flammie costing the Flammie a number of XP equal to 1/50th of the item's cost. If desired, the magic may instead be contained in a gem of equal value to the magic item. This gem may be used by anyone, but in order for the gem to activate it must be attuned to a body slot, requiring either the aid of a flammie or a spellcraft check DC 10 + caster level of item. The Flammie can use this breath on itself to remove enchants on it's person, or on a gem to completely negate a magic item. However, to do so allow only one round of focus per level instead of two

Secondary Effect: This comes into play if the breath is used on a unattended weapon or armor. The success is automatic, but the magic cannot be transferred into a gem. The Flammie can choose any enchantments on the armor or weapon and transfer it to their natural armor or claws. If they want to further augment their natural armor or claws besides replacing the curent enchantments, gold in any form must be supplied equal to the difference between the highest effective bonus of either the new armor or the current armor, as well when considering the effective enhancement bonus for the item always disregard 1 point because all armor or weapons need a +1 enchant regardless of anything else. There is also an option when using the breath on a piece of non-magical armor to adopt the non-magical bonuses of the armor, but doing so turns the armor to dust (Non-Magical meaning AC, ACP, ASF, Max dex, and so on. Speed reduction and penalties of heavy and medium armor do apply). When this property is used scaled plates grow all along the flammie's form, such that heavy armor almost entirely covers them and could allow them to pass for a normal dragon.

For example, look at 3 items.
    1) +5 soulfire breastplate
    2) +1 Heavy Fortification chain shirt,
    3) +1 Twilight padded armor

A Flammie uses breath of disjunction on armor 3, and gains both bonuses, and now has a Effective Enhancement Bonus of 2. He then uses his breath on armor 2, and just wants to add the heavy fortification property. 2 has a Effective Enhancement Bonus of 5, after ignoring the +1, 1 has a Effective Enhancement Bonus of 1, ignoring the +1 again. The new bonus is 6, and the difference in cost between +5 and +6 is 11,000g, thus 11000g must be provided. He could also use 1, with a Effective Enhancement Bonus of 9, and since 9 is greater than 5 there is no cost to now add soulfire to the armor.

I posted this race a while back on the forums, and it was mentioned as being very underpowered, so I took the criticism and ran with it, and this is where I currently have the idea. The goal is to have a dragonic race that doesn't use conventional armor or weapons, but is not powerful enough to merit a LA, So, I pose it to the forums to rip apart and give me advice on how to balance it for that LA.

The main questions I have is are ability modifiers needed, and for Sizechanger should i also introduce a +2 str, -2 Dex, +2 con for size increases, and opposite for decreases?

Please, PEACH, this is only my second real foray into fiddling seriously with homebrew. Formatting advice is also welcome and I will edit the post per advice.
    If you want a flying dragon as a player character, you're probably going to want to give it LA. Maybe start by statting up the monster first, and then giving it LA afterwards.

"Eating" magic items to gain their effects isn't necessary. 3.5 D&D has rules for barding armor for non-humanoids, and most magic items will resize to fit on a larger or smaller character.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2011-02-24 at 10:37 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, I changed the shape change ability, but I kept the no stat modifiers and had it last longer, the goal is not so much combat effectiveness as being able to be used outside of combat for either rp purposes or stealth reasons. Maybe make it 10m to activate and just applies to changing size to small?

I added racial feats for a breath weapon and tail attack, and the fly speed was nerfed. I don't think getting a +10 fly speed at 3 is that great, and it maxes at 60' now at 18.

The breath weapon was changed to reflect the suggest advice, so now it just has the effect of changing the form of magic items for the Flammie.

As for barding, I know it exists, but for rp reasons I want them to be entirely capable without conventional armor
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-25 at 12:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Flight of any kind is worth +1 LA as you avoid falling into hazards and traps laid by the DM.

To see how this works, stat up your creature using elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and as a warrior. Does it keep its racial hit dice (d12) or does it substitute it for Warrior hit dice (d8)? That makes a difference in deciding whether it has LA or not.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-02-25 at 08:32 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Flight of any kind is worth +1 LA as you avoid falling into hazards and traps laid by the DM.
    Not necessarily.

Think about +0 LA Raptorans/Dragonborn. Both of those guys get flight and I honestly have never heard anybody call them overpowered (except perhaps for tricks where you stack a Dragonborn's Con bonus on top of a Mongrelfolk's +4 bonus).

Edit: Never mind. I just googled "raptoran overpowered" and got several results. Even so, flight at +0 LA does have precedence.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2011-02-25 at 09:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Why do you want them to change sizes so badly?
    Also CAYUTE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

this dragon is from secret of mana am I right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Raptorans and Dragonborn both (IIRC) only get Flight after they get a few HD, i.e. not from level one. That's the suggested route for racial flight on an LA +0 race, IMO.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowboule View Post
    this dragon is from secret of mana am I right?
    Yup, Favorite race in the game so recently I've wanted to bring them into dnd in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    Raptorans and Dragonborn both (IIRC) only get Flight after they get a few HD, i.e. not from level one. That's the suggested route for racial flight on an LA +0 race, IMO.
    Well I changed the flight to be first gained at 6, and it steadily increases every 3 HD past 6 now.

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Why do you want them to change sizes so badly?
    Also CAYUTE!
    Because I imagine them being capable of operating in stealth and hiding effectively but from a combat perspective can't fight effectively in the smaller form....perhaps make it just that? Size can be decreased or increased a category or two but when in that form you can't take offensive actions, defined similarly to invisibility but even indirect attacks would force the Flammie to their normal state, so they would be effective at stealth and intimidate, but abuse is now much more limited. I'll edit the main page with that alternative
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-25 at 01:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

have you considered simply giving them the Slight Build ability?
    It would allow these guys to get the perks (or most of the perks) of being small without the penalties so it seems right up your alley.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Slight build kind of implies being naturally small though, kobolds are 2' to 1' tall and tiny creatures are 1' to 2' tall already, so it makes sense for them to be able to be treated as tiny for certain things. However, looking at the image for the race and envisioning a 6' tall creature or so I can't envision any way of making a creature that size sneak around as a 3'-4' tall creature without being horrifically uncomfortable, so I want the size change to be a visible effect and not something gained from just being naturally small. I will add that option up there though, but add in that although they have the ability it's not something always active and needs to be activated.

Edit: Option was added at type 3 for shapechanger
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-25 at 08:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Bumping to get more input, I will say I am contemplating heaving the moonlit sustenance just be their form of eating, and they will starve in a similar means to a normal person if going several days without it, but because of that they gain immunity to poison, disease, and nauseated because they don't have any bodily functions reminiscent of a creature made of flesh and blood. Perhaps introduce a item or spell that's the moon equivalent of daylight and require they they need a spell level equal to half their HD (rounded down) for a 10 minutes to gain sustenance from it. I don't know if that's a equal tradeoff though
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-27 at 12:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Bumping to get more input, I will say I am contemplating heaving the moonlit sustenance just be their form of eating, and they will starve in a similar means to a normal person if going several days without it, but because of that they gain immunity to poison, disease, and nauseated because they don't have any bodily functions reminiscent of a creature made of flesh and blood. Perhaps introduce a item or spell that's the moon equivalent of daylight and require they they need a spell level equal to half their HD (rounded down) for a 10 minutes to gain sustenance from it. I don't know if that's a equal tradeoff though
    Since this is supposed to be inspired by Secret of Mana I'd ask why you are using that ability at all, wasn't their a point about Flammie eating tons which is why you had to leave him with King Truffle (I think that was the King's name, honestly it's been like 9 years since I played through the game)? And didn't he eat in copious amounts?

Either way moonlight eating if he can't eat normal food is a disadvantage (makes any long foray underground a starvation run) but not enough of one to offset the immunities you listed. It's possible to get those immunities on a PC as an LA 0 warforged but they have net negative abilities and feat tax in the form of Composite Plating (it's worse than being able to buy armor unless you spend a feat and then it's only better till a feat is worth more than 12,000 GP in your build).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The moonlight idea was mostly based off a series of fanfiction I read about them, and I think I'll just leave it as is then. Still want more input, I think it's nearly balanced as a LA 0 but I want to be sure
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-27 at 11:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm assuming Medium size.

30' movement speed

Flight speed: Starting at 6 HD, gain a 10' fly speed +10' more for every 3 HD past 6 (20 at 9, 30 at 12, etc.). Perfect manuverability

Quadrupedal: A Flammie normally walks on all fours, Although if necessary a Flammie can walk on two legs at 15' speed and use their forelegs for manipulation, but they cannot fight like that. Because of this quality, their carrying capacity is twice that of a bipedal creature and reach increases as for a quadrupedal creature upon size changes.

Moonlit Sustenance: Due to the odd nature of their form and internal chemistry, a flammie can gain susentence from one hour of starlight or moonlight. However, if they cannot access this source, they need to eat 10x normal for a humanoid.

Natural Appraiser: Appraise is always a class skill and +2 racial to it

Natural Weapons: A flammie starts with 2 claws (1d6) and 1 bite (1d8). and at level 10 they add 1 (1d6) wing attack. At level 15 they get the other wing attack (1d6) All of the natural weapons count as monk weapons, and the claws can be used for iteratives. Due to their quadrepedal nature, they cannot use conventional weapons unless specially designed, but see the secondary effect of breath of Disjunction

Primary Effect: This comes into play if the breath is used on a unattended Magical Item. It takes 10 minutes of focus on a item to convert it's energy into a form the Flammie can modify. Once completed, the item transferred to the flammie's form in the same approximate location and takes up the same body slot as the item would normally. If another item is converted the Flammie can choose which enchantment to replace, but only one enchantment can occupy one body slot. The Flammie can choose whether to display this enchantment or not, and the appearance is also up to the Flammie to designate. Regardless, the magical auras persist in the same locations even if not visible. There are 2 weapon slots (Representing the 2 claws), and one armor slot. If a weapon, armor, or something with a effective enhancement bonus is converted, then the following applies:

The Flammie can choose any enchantments on the armor or weapon and transfer it to their natural armor or claws, adding to the effective enhancement bonus of their natural armor or claws, and causing the base item to lose those bonuses. As well, then can choose instead of take on certain bonuses instead of transferring the full effect, paying the normal cost for enchanting a item if their base effective enchantment bonus increases.
    Under moonlit sustenance, you should note what you consider to be the normal effects of the new moon. Does it mean that 3 days out of the month they have to eat 30 days worth of food?

Under quadrupedal, you may want to specifically note that they require barding armor.

The disjunction breath should specifically note that it doesn't apply to slotless items, and it definitely shouldn't apply to single-use or charged items. You should probably also explain that using it on some items is infeasable (such as a bag of holding, or a magical item whose drawback is that it's because it's tied to a location.)

Specifically note that weapon enhancements need to be applied separately to each of the character's natural attacks.

Specifically note that items that are disjuncted can still be hit by a targeted dispel magic.

Specifically note that the disjunction can't break artifacts, and it doesn't work like dispel magic.

This ability actually isn't quite as powerful as you think. It means that the character can't sell old magic items, which will cut into wealth-by-level. However, it does mean that the items can't be sundered or stolen, which might be useful.

Sizechanger : Either type 1 or type 2 will be in final cut, putting in both for criticism

Type 1 (Ex): A Flammie can spend a number of rounds each day equal to their level times 1 + their con bonus in a size one above or one below their current size. This gives no increase in stats, but normal size changes apply. Manufactured weapons and armor do not change with this transformation
    You need to note what kind of action it is to change size. I'm assuming it's a swift action to change size and a free action to end it.

Looks okay to me, you've got a decent race now. I might change the name of the race to draconians or air dragons or something.

Type 2: Slight build (Ex), as the kobold feature, but allows them to be treated as small instead of medium This ability has to be activated and can be turned on or off at will as a Full Round Action, which provokes AoO and taking any damage cancels the transition. This transition period involves the Flammie's height changing to match the highest for that size (4') From level 10 on this ability improves and the Flammie can spend half of their level plus their con score rounds as a effectively tiny creature. For the tiny form their damage die for their natural weapons decreases by one step (to small size)
    Weird. They lose the ability to be Large with this. I wouldn't use it, it's more confusing.

Racial Feats:
    Force Spit
    Requirements: Flammie, Con 13
    Gain a Spit Attack that does 1d4+1d4/2 levels force damage as a ranged touch attack, with a 1d4+1 round cooldown.
    What's the maximum range? Does it have a range increment, or is it a ray? If it has a range increment, you don't need to specify maximum range.

Tail Attack
    Requirements: Flammie, 6+ HD
    Gain a 1d8 tail attack
    Looks fine. If I were you, I'd specify which of all of the natural attacks are secondary.

Force Splash
    Requirements: Flammie, Con 15, Force Spit
    Force spit now has a 5' splash effect for full damage, the attack must hit successfully for the splash to occur however.
    Does it splash from an intersection, or just hit all directly adjacent creatures? Can you turn it off so that you don't hit allies? Since it doesn't require an attack roll, wouldn't it be easier to shoot intersections instead? This is potentially very powerful, maybe it would be better to make it a 60' line effect that allows no saving throw (which is in-line for force effects.)
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2011-02-28 at 12:44 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, I made all of your suggested changes, and changed the description of the upgraded breath to now offer 2 choices, range might be a bit much but i'll leave it like that and see what the reaction is. I'm debating making the first effect require a ranged touch vs the first in the line to keep with the general idea of it's not necessarily a auto-hit to make up for the large range.

I also combined the 2 shapechanging effects, hopefully that's not too strong, i still really like the idea of them becoming absurdly small or large, but now just make it that it's not a combat effect, thus taking a whole lot of the problems out of it. Now it's essentially a bonus to intimidate and hide related to their level with no combat advantage. Does that make it possible to add in a +1 size category per 5 HD or is that still too strong even without combat use? And I still really want to make it a complete at will for the non-combat perspective. I'm imagining hiding would be common for the race and it would make much easier to do so with said ability.
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-28 at 02:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Weird. They lose the ability to be Large with this. I wouldn't use it, it's more confusing.
    The suggestion was made after seeing the following

Quote Originally Posted by soulsabre345
    Because I imagine them being capable of operating in stealth and hiding effectively but from a combat perspective can't fight effectively in the smaller form....
    which led me to believe that the primary goal had been to let this guy function as being smaller without penalizing combat and that size-increasing had been added for the sake of symmetry.

Sleight build seemed like a slightly more balanced and smooth racial feature but it was also not intended that these guys look small for their size so it was added on as an option that requires activation, if a bit reluctantly.

That said, as the entire point was to keep things stream-lined, there probably isn't any real advantage in keeping it as an option among more powerful abilities (especially if it isn't liked) so feel free to do away with it if you want.

Edit: Totally swordsaged.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2011-02-28 at 02:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Well i essentially just incorporated the slight build into it, now it has 2 effects, one which has no combat advantage and allows somewhat silly size manipulation, and one with a combat advantage which while nice is not that broken.

Edit: Added lore and personality, also changed the class skill to knowledge instead of appraise.
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2011-02-28 at 03:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Bumping it up another time to get more input on it. The race is pretty much entirely finished at this point, so I'd like to get maybe one or two final critiques before I stop bumping it.