Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    randomhero00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Is there not a raise animal spell?

    So roleplay wise druids would get pretty close to their animal companions I'd think. But all the book gives is ways to summon new ones not ressurect the old ones they've had for 6 years and have a huge bond with RP wise. So is there not a raise animal type spell or did I miss it? It seems like it should be available at level 1, as soon as they get an animal companion.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-01-30 at 04:42 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In an apartment
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    I can't be bothered to look in the other books, so my response is built upon the premise that the Player's Handbook is the only source available.

    Anyways, while a druid may be fond of their animal companion, they are still a druid. Death is a natural part of nature. To use magic to bring back their companion is irresponsible. They could use reincarnate to do this, but the results could be amusing.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jair Barik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Pretty sure any of the normal rez spells/Psionics (resurrection, true resurrection, psionic revivification) would work on ana animal companion.

    He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil


    My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    randomhero00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    I can't be bothered to look in the other books, so my response is built upon the premise that the Player's Handbook is the only source available.

    Anyways, while a druid may be fond of their animal companion, they are still a druid. Death is a natural part of nature. To use magic to bring back their companion is irresponsible. They could use reincarnate to do this, but the results could be amusing.
    Well one of the logical reasons being that they're playing pathfinder and playing a shaman type, so a lion shaman can only summon cats. If you're in a place with no cats to call....and your companion dies. ....

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    vegetalss4's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Land of Magic and Ponies

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    either use reincarnate (if you can accept that it will get a differen't body, and your dm wants to make a table for your companion)

    or get a friendly cleric to use raise dead, both work fine on animals.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

    The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

    Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Technically, they can be raised with any of the resurrection spells, including the one druids get, Reincarnate. They will be decidedly more humanoid after unless your DM decides to draw up an alternate list as the spell suggests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    randomhero00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Technically, they can be raised with any of the resurrection spells, including the one druids get, Reincarnate. They will be decidedly more humanoid after unless your DM decides to draw up an alternate list as the spell suggests.
    seems super silly though. I'm going to ask if I can research a raise animal spell that takes 24 hours to cast. So basically the same as calling a new one.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    This might be seen as a bit of balance for the whole "no penalty for them dying and they're generally easily replaced" thing.

    Also there's something of a precedent set for the whole "only clerics (favored souls/archivists) get to bring things back to life", so if I was a DM I might allow a "reincarnate companion" spell at perhaps 3rd level, but not much else.
    Last edited by raitalin; 2011-01-30 at 05:06 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Could get a bit unbalancing if used on other animals though. Godzilla will never be gone. How about a "raise companion" spell? EDIT: or reincarnate sure, how about where you pick the new form so there's no drawback whatsoever. Even for those who want to change companions as they level up. "Hey buddy, see, I don't want to lose you but I need you to be a megaraptor now <stabs>."
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-01-30 at 05:08 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    randomhero00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by raitalin View Post
    This might be seen as a bit of balance for the whole "no penalty for them dying and they're generally easily replaced" thing.

    Also there's something of a precedent set for the whole "only clerics (favored souls/archivists) get to bring things back to life", so if I was a DM I might allow a "reincarnate companion" spell at perhaps 3rd level, but not much else.
    Well it wouldn't if the ritual took 24 hours just like the calling of a new animal. It'd be exactly the same. Its only roleplay difference.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Well it wouldn't if the ritual took 24 hours just like the calling of a new animal. It'd be exactly the same. Its only roleplay difference.
    I thought that too, but then I realized it also allows you to get the same one, no matter the enviroment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    onthetown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canadia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    I'm agreeing with one of the first responses and saying that it's because of the druid's nature. Dying is just a part of the cycle of life, and (given how in-tune with nature they are) I would think that druids would be pretty chill with their animal companion dying. They would mourn the loss of a life, yes, but then move on.
    Avatar by the awesome starwoof
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ShriekingDrake's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Is there not a raise animal spell?

    Quote Originally Posted by onthetown View Post
    I'm agreeing with one of the first responses and saying that it's because of the druid's nature. Dying is just a part of the cycle of life, and (given how in-tune with nature they are) I would think that druids would be pretty chill with their animal companion dying. They would mourn the loss of a life, yes, but then move on.
    Agreed. If you want to keep your AC, you're going to have to fight to keep it alive. They are already too disposable IMHO. I like the idea of having to keep my AC alive, if I want to have the kind of buddy story of fantasy fiction. I like the idea of having to choose between my pet lizard and the party rogue. I say "nay" to a raise companion spell.

    Now, there is a Heal spell 5th level I believe in the Spell Compendium that gets you a heal for your furry friend a bit earlier than you would for your party members.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •