New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell] Mmmm, Tastes Like... Rainbows!

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    ..hm, actually an interesting in-between option that comes to mind: you summon a seven-flavored pastry, and each bite takes out one of the colors at random (or two, if you roll that). The pastry is not fully consumed at this point, and you can put it back in your pocket to take another bite anytime after the hour cooldown has passed; any colors that have already been bitten out are rerolled on subsequent bites. For some reason, that bothers me less, because all seven colors are still there. In theory, you could hang on to a pastry that only had the grape slice left to get some control, but it wouldn't really be practical. You'd probably want to put on some other limiter to how many you can have at once (either staleness or number created by a single caster at a time) just to avoid ludicrous bookkeeping, though.
    This could be interesting. Actually, I could see it as a higher level spell that summons a single piece of bread, or something, and then the effects would be higher level and more powerful as well. The freshness would be essentially the number of colors left in days. For each bite taken out of the bread, the days left are reduced by one. As soon as it reaches 0 or negative one, the bread goes moldy, and gives no benefit. This means that for you to actually get a for sure ability, you would have to summon a bunch on the day of casting, and then eat each of them until just that ability remained, if it were not consumed first. I like it.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, the Prismatic Baguette is up.

I feel as if it could be a seventh or eighth level spell, but the duration is pretty hard to get past. Oh! Forgot to mention that you can only take one bite per day, and that there can only ever be one in existence, per caster. Unless the Baguette is passed around, you are not going to be getting very much use from it, and you definitely aren't going to be getting more than four uses from the Baguette unless you pass it around to more than one person, which is the kind of party dynamic that I enjoy. Any thoughts?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is sweet! Just for flavor, is there any reason a baguette is different from the other baked goods (as in the earlier spell)? Feels like it could be something more special.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

You know, I just realized what would make me completely satisfied with Prismatic Baked Goods' mechanical effect as it stands. I feel kind of dumb, but it works for me.

The baked goods have a filling which is not visible from the outside, like an eclair or jelly doughnut. The color/flavor of the filling determines the effect, and opening up the pastry by any means other than biting into it breaks its magic.

..also, shouldn't these be Conjuration (Creation) instead of Evocation?
    Last edited by Benly; 2011-01-30 at 11:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can dig the filling fluff. Second on the conjuration too. The original spell is evocation because it throws around rays of various energy types. This is creating objects that possess certain energies though, so it's more like the orb spells than rays. Actually it's even MORE conjuration than the orb spells since it creates actual items.

Orb spells never made any sense to me. Oh it's conjuration cause I made ACTUAL lightning appear and it bypasses spell resistance instead of MAGIC lightning which doesn't. This logic fails for me but the reasons for creating the spells are obvious. I just wish they had thought about it a little more.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

What would people think about a rainbow domain? I think all we need is a fifth level spell, second level, and first level spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzeign View Post
    I can dig the filling fluff. Second on the conjuration too. The original spell is evocation because it throws around rays of various energy types. This is creating objects that possess certain energies though, so it's more like the orb spells than rays. Actually it's even MORE conjuration than the orb spells since it creates actual items.
    Yeah, but evocation never gets anything good. Literally, their only good spells in core are Prismatic Spray/Wall/Sphere, and Contingency. Anything else can be recreated/reproduced by conjuration or another school, and it gets even worse outside of core.

As for an actual reason, the spell is literally creating the energy and turning it into a form that doesn't fade away. It isn't summoning the Prismatic Goods from another place, else it would be known as "Summon Prismatic Baked Goods/Shot Glass/Baguette."

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzeign View Post
    Orb spells never made any sense to me. Oh it's conjuration cause I made ACTUAL lightning appear and it bypasses spell resistance instead of MAGIC lightning which doesn't. This logic fails for me but the reasons for creating the spells are obvious. I just wish they had thought about it a little more.
    Yeah, orbs are kind of stupid, and generally annoy me greatly.

You know, I just realized what would make me completely satisfied with Prismatic Baked Goods' mechanical effect as it stands. I feel kind of dumb, but it works for me.

The baked goods have a filling which is not visible from the outside, like an eclair or jelly doughnut. The color/flavor of the filling determines the effect, and opening up the pastry by any means other than biting into it breaks its magic.
    The filling would work wonderfully.

..also, shouldn't these be Conjuration (Creation) instead of Evocation?
    No. See above.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-31 at 09:35 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Question on the baguette: When do the spell-like abilities activate? Do they activate immediately, targeting or centered on the person who took the bite? Or can the person activate them at a later time as a standard action? If so, how long does it take for the spell-like ability to wear off? Or do they activate and target the abilities when they bite down? These are all questions to consider to make the wording understandable.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Question on the baguette: When do the spell-like abilities activate? Do they activate immediately, targeting or centered on the person who took the bite? Or can the person activate them at a later time as a standard action? If so, how long does it take for the spell-like ability to wear off? Or do they activate and target the abilities when they bite down? These are all questions to consider to make the wording understandable.
    Immediately, centered on the consumer. I will clarify the wording.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Yeah, but evocation never gets anything good. Literally, their only good spells in core are Prismatic Spray/Wall/Sphere, and Contingency. Anything else can be recreated/reproduced by conjuration or another school, and it gets even worse outside of core.
    Prismatic Wall and Sphere are abjuration, although I agree they should be evocation like the other energy walls. As far as good evocation goes, you're forgetting the force effects.

This doesn't sit right with me for exactly the same reason that the Orbs don't. "It's conjure-y energy blasts!" and "it's energy-y pastries!" seem like equally nonsensical justifications for putting spells in what's outright the wrong school. I would rather fix the problem by actually putting spells in the right school to begin with. It's a bigger project, but this way results in schools not actually meaning anything.

Immediately, centered on the consumer. I will clarify the wording.
    That's some party-unfriendly bread!

What about spells with shapeable, non-readily-centerable AoE? Insect Plague and Fire Storm are both shapeable, and Insect Plague in particular has a small enough AoE that making it include the eater is potentially crippling.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Prismatic Wall and Sphere are abjuration, although I agree they should be evocation like the other energy walls. As far as good evocation goes, you're forgetting the force effects.

This doesn't sit right with me for exactly the same reason that the Orbs don't. "It's conjure-y energy blasts!" and "it's energy-y pastries!" seem like equally nonsensical justifications for putting spells in what's outright the wrong school. I would rather fix the problem by actually putting spells in the right school to begin with. It's a bigger project, but this way results in schools not actually meaning anything.
    The description in the PHB:
    Evocation: Evocation spells manipulate energy or tap an unseen source of power to produce a desired end. In effect, they create something out of nothing.

Conjuration (creation): A creation spell manipulates matter to create an object or creature in the place the spellcaster designates (subject to the limits noted above).

The matter that the Prismatic Baked Goods/Shot Glass/Baguette is made out of literally not exist, prior to the casting of the spells. They aren't taken from somewhere else (plane of pastry; someone get on that), and they are not assembled from stuff lying around. They are spontaneously created. Yes this breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass. Yes, magic does not care about that. Functionally, though, the Baked Goods/Shot Glass/Baguette are not really matter. They are the embodiment of the magical energy, prior to release. They are the energy, in a physical form, before it is used on a subject. The act of eating (or drinking) the substance is simply releasing the energy back into its latent form, to be consumed by the user.

That's some party-unfriendly bread!

What about spells with shapeable, non-readily-centerable AoE? Insect Plague and Fire Storm are both shapeable, and Insect Plague in particular has a small enough AoE that making it include the eater is potentially crippling.
    Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    The consumer is immune to the effects.
    Thusly, the effect is largely that of a bomb, unless targeted; the consumer eats the food, everyone nearby takes damage; the consumer walks away. Having allies in range is a bad idea, similarly to how bad of an idea it is to use AoE spells with allies in the area of the effect. This means that positioning become especially important. Also, it makes it pretty fun for a sneaky character, who can sneak in someplace, eat the bread, and then either A) kill everyone with the effect, B) heal yourself, no loss to the character, or C) teleport out. If the bread doesn't work while the character is sneaking around, give it to another PC, and let them get captured. At the last minute, while everyone is around the character, bam eat the bread. You won't get the first effect (either healing or teleporting). If you teleport back out, simply attack conventionally; if you heal, then call for your allies. It adds just a little bit more strategy and cooperation to the spell.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Daemon

I'm aware that the user is immune. Where I see an issue is that "centered on the eater" doesn't mean anything useful in cases where the AoE is shapeable and hence not predetermined, which is the case with two of the three AoE spells on the list.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm aware that the user is immune. Where I see an issue is that "centered on the eater" doesn't mean anything useful in cases where the AoE is shapeable and hence not predetermined, which is the case with two of the three AoE spells on the list.
    Good point. In that case, they are shapeable, but the consumer must be within the area of effect. I will clarify.

Also; I wrote up the Prismatic Touch, Prismatic Ray, and Prismatic Bomb spells today, and I might have enough to make a domain.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Got a few of the spell up.

Prismatic Ray
    Evocation
    Level: Sorc/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S.
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./caster level)
    Target: One target within range
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: See text;
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A ray of rainbow light arcs towards the target, bursting in a radiant light.

As a ranged touch attack, the caster sends an arc of rainbow light towards the target. The caster rolls a d8, and consults the table below:

{table=head]Result|Color|Effect

|
    Red
    | 1d6 fire damage/caster level (max. 5d6)

|
    Orange
    | 1d4 acid damage/caster level (max. 5d4)

|
    Yellow
    | 1d4 electricity damage/caster level (max. 5d4)

|
    Green
    |Deals 2 constitution damage, 2 the next minute (fort negates)

|
    Blue
    |Immobilizes the target for 1d4 rounds (will negates)

|
    Indigo
    |Target is panicked (will negates)

|
    Violet
    |Pushes the target back 30 feet (will for half)

|
    Two Colors
    |Roll Twice; Ignore any 8 Results[/table]

Prismatic Touch
    Transmutation
    Level: Sorc/Wizard 1
    Components: V, S.
    Range: Touch
    Target: 1 ally within touch range
    Duration: 1 minute per level
    Saving Throw: harmless; will
    Spell Resistance: no

Your hand turns a glowing rainbow-y color.

You touch the target. You must roll a d8, and the result is as the following on the table, affecting the subject touched.

|
    Red
    | +2 to Strength

|
    Orange
    |+2 to Wisdom

|
    Yellow
    | +2 to Dexterity

|
    Green
    |+2 to Constitution

|
    Blue
    |+2 to Intelligence

|
    Indigo
    |Fast Healing 2

|
    Violet
    |+10 movement speed

|
    Two Colors

Prismatic Bomb
    Evocation
    Level: Sorc/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./caster level)
    Effect: One bomb
    Duration: Instantaneous; one round per caster level for individual effects
    Saving Throw: see text;
    Spell Resistance: no

A rainbow colored bomb appears. It has no fuse, but you can feel the energy that hums inside of it.

You create a bomb within range. If thrown, the bomb travels up to 30 feet, and explodes in a burst of magic, blinding those who see it that only possess 8 hit dice or less for 2d4 rounds. The caster rolls a d8, and creates an effect as per the table below.

|
    Red
    |Wall of Fire

|
    Orange
    |A wall of acid (as wall of fire, but dealing acid damage)

|
    Yellow
    |A wall of lighting (as wall of fire, but electricity damage)

|
    Green
    |Wall of Thorns

|
    Blue
    |Wall of Stone

|
    Indigo
    |Symbol of Fear

|
    Violet
    |Gate to a random plane (plane traveling only, no summoning)

|
    Two Colors

If the bomb hits a target, they have a reflex save to avoid being stuck in the effect. If they fail, they are stuck, and must make a fortitude save each round. If they make the fortitude save two rounds in a row, they are free. They are affected by the spell while stuck in the effect. (in the case of Gate, they fall through.)
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-01 at 10:16 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Rainbow Domain

Granted Powers: Once per day, you may choose to automatically roll an "eight" while rolling the effects for a Prismatic spell. You must do this before rolling for the spell, or for the effect the spell creates. You may do this an additional time per day by spending two turn attempts.

Rainbow Domain Spells

1. Prismatic Touch
    2. Prismatic Ray
    3. Prismatic Baked Goods
    4. Prismatic Shot Glass
    5. Prismatic Bomb
    6. Prismatic Baguette
    7. Prismatic Spray
    8. Prismatic Wall
    9. Prismatic Sphere

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show