New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard Robes: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Lighting makes all the difference. The one where she is purple she is obviously doing some mystical hoodoo that is affecting the lighting. In the other, prestidigitation equivalent of a spray-on tan mayhap?
    Yeah, that is total bull.
    Most complaints centre around her features though, and to that I say, so what? I rather like how alien she looks personally.
    Well, consider me on "Team Mialee is a Space Frog." Of course, that druid's no looker, either.

I think they could have gotten better artists for the 3e/3.5e PCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Well, consider me on "Team Mialee is a Space Frog." Of course, that druid's no looker, either.
    Mialee: Space Frog from Space.

Yeah. Like Rob Liefield. yeah I went there :P

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Robes? In my games and setting, Wizards tend to wear clothing akin to gis, kimonos and hakamas. And so do Monks, Fighters, Paladins, Clerics and a score of other classes. Armor, when it can, is hidden under layers of clothing - even when it can't, Wizards and the like can create magical equivalent out of wholecloth. Considering the magical bling on the other classes... yeah. You aren't distinquishing adventurers dressed for war from each other by looks alone; probably not even through actions, since the magicky types likely have ways to swing lethal implements regardless, and the fighty types have dozens of magical thingamajobs hidden in their sleeves in case of emergency.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Call me Team Elves Ain't Humans then. This will tell you something about my personal standards of beauty because I found the iconic druid Vadania quite haunting.
    Krusk on the other hand looks like a tightly muscled knot of scars and gristle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

So, more like a real adventurer would?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Aaaaahhh, but Goblins are the best.
    I raise you Mindflayers, my good sir. All those tentacles...
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    That would just be too cruel...

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Robes? In my games and setting, Wizards tend to wear clothing akin to gis, kimonos and hakamas. And so do Monks, Fighters, Paladins, Clerics and a score of other classes. Armor, when it can, is hidden under layers of clothing - even when it can't, Wizards and the like can create magical equivalent out of wholecloth. Considering the magical bling on the other classes... yeah. You aren't distinquishing adventurers dressed for war from each other by looks alone; probably not even through actions, since the magicky types likely have ways to swing lethal implements regardless, and the fighty types have dozens of magical thingamajobs hidden in their sleeves in case of emergency.
    So your setting is Asian flavored? All my characters tend to roam around in big fancy cloaks... cloaks are awesome. Unless they're posing as commoners. Hardly anybody notices commoners... makes great cover for thieves and wizards traveling incognito.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    So, more like a real adventurer would?
    Maybe, still ugly though. Back to wizards robes, if we mean something like a monks habit I can see that been doable in the feild, but the long, massive sleeves, catch on thorns, get dragged in the mud, trip over your own feet, kind we see in your stereotypical wizard?
    Not practical at all. Neither is the thousand belt, goggles that do nothings dungeon punk iron kingdoms wear either.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Mialee: Space Frog from Space.

He's a little action-comic-booky for me, I was thinking more along the lines of Elmore. He's kind of an iconic fantasy artist, in my book.
    We're MEN! (Manly men!) We're men in TIGHTS! (Tight tights!)
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

10. - Top - End - #100

Tight tights!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Read Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. It is Manly, by Brando.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Tight tights!
    A cookie for you, good sir.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

A cookie for you, good sir.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't spot the cookies

As I see it, wizards wear robes for two mutually exclusive reasons; either a) Because it's a sign of their station and it intimidates the common people (and because there are also sorts of magical robes), or b) Because they're geeks who don't care what people think about them, so they'll wear what's comfortable.

Or C) Robes are Awesome. And anyone who says otherwise is in for a world of magical hurt.
    Last edited by Squark; 2011-01-31 at 08:11 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Call me Team Elves Ain't Humans then. This will tell you something about my personal standards of beauty because I found the iconic druid Vadania quite haunting.
    Eh, I thought Vadania looked pretty, if a bit odd, which was the intended effect. Mialee however is a space frog.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Eh, I thought Vadania looked pretty, if a bit odd, which was the intended effect. Mialee however is a space frog.
    +1numbersforaddedeffect
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    So your setting is Asian flavored?
    No. Some aspects of clothing are just similar. Overall, I mix and match different cultures to the extent that such qualifiers pretty much lose meaning.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

17. - Top - End - #107

Interesting. I wish to subscribe to your news letter.

I still think robes are pretty awesome, especially if you have a English accent to go along with it. And some tights underneath.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2011-01-31 at 08:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

because magi, clerics and monks in the real world all wear/wore robes.

as well as robes (of some form) are worn in many other countries even today.

I think a better question would be why many people in western civilization see robes as weird clothing and even compare them to other bits of clothing that are indeed different (i.e. Dresses.
    Last edited by Cerlis; 2011-01-31 at 08:52 PM.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Well, by her official stats, she has an 8 charisma. If Charisma and physical beauty coordinate at all, she has every reason to look alien and weird to human eyes.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, by her official stats, she has an 8 charisma. If Charisma and physical beauty coordinate at all, she has every reason to look alien and weird to human eyes.
    Aaaahhh, but charisma isn't entirely based on looks alone. It's also a measure of personality. She could look spectacular but be a complete *****, or be horribly ugly and be a very nice person. It measures a combination of looks and personality.

EDIT: With a Charisma of 8, she probably has the personality of a soap dish, to go along with the "Space Frog from Space" look.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-01-31 at 09:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You could always have them in a hoodie and slacks if you wanted; sure they are out of context but so are many of the things in D&D. Like monks.

Also I would like to point out that Byzantine clothing tended to be similar to wizard clothes.

Also, Tabards are fairly similar to robes as well.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2011-01-31 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaahhh, but charisma isn't entirely based on looks alone. It's also a measure of personality. She could look spectacular but be a complete *****, or be horribly ugly and be a very nice person. It measures a combination of looks and personality.

EDIT: With a Charisma of 8, she probably has the personality of a soap dish, to go along with the "Space Frog from Space" look.
    I agree that looks and Charisma aren't a 1:1 ratio, but I rather disagree it means how nice you are. While it is true that people generally like being around nice people, people with forceful or persuasive personalities, what I consider to be the other part of the Charisma equation, can be complete bastards. I am not saying it is always the case, but it is hardly unknown either.
    I personally always imagined her as being generally calm cool and collected, but rather abrasive when pestered, i.e. anyone interrupts her research.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Robes are cool. Does there really need to be a reason beyond that?

Also, recognize that there are more than just dark blue robes, and don't think you need all robes to be magical.
    Last edited by Ragitsu; 2011-01-31 at 09:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fortesama View Post
    Then there's Hennet from the Player's Handbook of DnD 3.5 who doesn't wear much at all but that's another story entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    agreed
    however i like to have wizards who were normal comfortable clothes
    also my mom upon seeing hennet decided that he must have a belt fetish
    Hennet is definitely a bit of a freak.

As for robes, the main reason is undoubtedly because that's how mages and such have been portrayed throughout our history. All the other explanations are good and sensible, but for the most part I think that's the real reason.

25. - Top - End - #115

With a Charisma of 8, she probably has the personality of a soap dish, to go along with the "Space Frog from Space" look.
    Huh; 10-11 is average, 8 only a bit under. Now, if her Cha was like 4, I could understand that, but 8? It isn't that low.

26. - Top - End - #116

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    I think a better question would be why many people in western civilization see robes as weird clothing and even compare them to other bits of clothing that are indeed different (i.e. Dresses.
    I agree, I never really got it myself.

I think she looks fey. Wide spaced eyes, a tiny nose, an arrow sharp chin, and cheek bones you could skin an apple with?
    Definitely one of the Fair Folk.
    Remember, Elves are not humans.
    They were, however, supposed to be beautiful and terrible, last I recall. Mialee is just terrible. Like boxbot.

He's a little action-comic-booky for me, I was thinking more along the lines of Elmore. He's kind of an iconic fantasy artist, in my book. [/COLOR]
    I think you missed the joke. Unless Elmore is another artist unworthy of the name that I've had the pleasure of never encountering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #117

PirateGirl

Robes allow lots of pockets for spell components.

Also they're based on Anglo- and Scandinavian folklore; those places are cold!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

Why wizard robes?

They are easy to take off and on.Letting you bring that female drow wizard to your tent in the middle of the day.Have your *fun* alone time and no one in your party will be any the wiser.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I think you missed the joke. Unless Elmore is another artist unworthy of the name that I've had the pleasure of never encountering?
    I guess I did. Sometimes that happens.
    A Smattering of Larry Elmore:
    Spoiler
    Show

...and my personal favorite