New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Hopes for D&D 5.0

Just for fun, as the edition wars rage between 3.5/PF/4e;

What do you hope/dream/want/wish for/miracle for/w.e. for the future? How could WOTC make something we wouldn't want to disintegrate them for ? ;)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hopes for D&D 5.0

They would publish it for free, or even better, they give us money each time we play D&D. Aside from that, the important thing is that they regularly update and publish erratas.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd love for them to keep the 4E paradigm of skill and combat progression, but find a way to bring back true Vancian magic into the system.

No tieflings, no gnomes.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

4. - Top - End - #4

I'd want D&D5E to bring back the round circle.
    It's the most infuriating aspect of 4E to me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I would like the option to be able to purchase all of the materials as indexed and searchable PDFs.

I like a good hardcover to cuddle up with and read on the couch but I much prefer PDFs for at the gaming table, so I'd buy a mix of both formats.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I wish for a return to the days of AD&D 1e. I honestly don't feel as if it was that complicated. I mean, if a 7 year old can learn it, why can't everyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I want them to re-release AD&D and BECMI.

If wishes were horses . . .
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My ideal D&D 5.0 would be downloadable and easily searchable on the web, in the form of an SRD. The designers would receive feedback and polish the rules on an annual basis (like what we had with 3.0 to 3.5 to Pathfinder). Software programs (like DM-Djinni and E-Tools) would be available to help DMs organize and prepare their sessions better.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm, let's see:

Classes: Every class should have at-will and encounter powers, kinda like 4e or SAGA, but they should remain unique and flavorful. Get rid of Daily abilities altogether.

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Spelljammer.
    All those, neatly in a row on my shelf with the new edition core rulebooks. Everything I'd need.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-02-01 at 09:37 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Longcat View Post
    Hmm, let's see:

Classes: Every class should have at-will and encounter powers, kinda like 4e or SAGA, but they should remain unique and flavorful. Get rid of Daily abilities altogether.

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head now.
    Definitely agree that all classes should be able to enter each encounter with at least 90% of their shiny abilities ready to go. That's the big reason I love playing TOB characters in 3.5
    Epic avatar by Serpentine
    (>*,,*)> Zombie wants to be your friend.

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Bring back the freedom and variety of pre 4th edition, while still having a reasonably balanced system.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

For starters, Wizards would no longer be associated with the name.

Second, Hasbro would also no longer be associated with the name.

Third, it would use Unisystem as a base.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Since my group never switched away from 2e, I will echo Dsmiles sentiments. It would be nice to have some new published 2e material. Specifically in the Planescape and Dark Sun settings. It is tough coming up with new stuff on your own after 30 years of playing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I want them to re-release AD&D and BECMI.

If wishes were horses . . .
    I'm not a fan of classes and character levels, so it's unlikely I'll ever return to run D&D. But what could bring me back were a continuation of AD&D, returning back to a point before d20 and start again from there.
    3rd Ed. seemed very cool with the customization allowed by feats and I greatly welcomed the streamlining of making almost every roll a "d20 + bonuses - penalties" roll.
    But I no longer want to bother with "character builds". Having the ability customize your character is nice, but I don't want to have to bother with long lists of available options to unlock certain actions my character can take, and I don't want my players to spend too much attention to it as well. I want them to think of their characters personalty and the situation they are in, not thinking about numbers and feats.
    What I would like is a D&D that has rules to resolve if a certain path of action results in success or failure for the PCs. I don't want a game that is about the rules.
    But since all d20 systems are about building character stats, it's not something I see released under the D&D label.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    For starters, Wizards would no longer be associated with the name.

Second, Hasbro would also no longer be associated with the name.

Third, it would use Unisystem as a base.
    OK, we get it, you dislike D&D.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

It should combine the modularity of 3.5 with the balance of 4e.

Every character should be fun to play and possess many abilities they can use in combat. Every character should gain new options as they level up, not just get better at what they already were able to do.

Combat should be fast and exciting. Dying should be hard, but getting knocked out or otherwise unable to fight should be easy if you act stupidly.

Every stat should be useful for every, or almost every, character. Choices made for style (like a lightly-armored warrior) should be viable.

No randomization during character creation, like rolling for stats or HP. No alignment system.

No Vancian magic, no daily powers. Characters should be able to fight as much before resting as the players and DM want them to, instead of artificial limitations of "if you fight too much, the wizard runs out of spells and becomes useless" and "there have to be several unimportant encounters before the boss, or else everyone tramples him with spamming daily powers".

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    It should combine the modularity of 3.5 with the balance of 4e.

Every character should be fun to play and possess many abilities they can use in combat. Every character should gain new options as they level up, not just get better at what they already were able to do.

Combat should be fast and exciting. Dying should be hard, but getting knocked out or otherwise unable to fight should be easy if you act stupidly.

Every stat should be useful for every, or almost every, character. Choices made for style (like a lightly-armored warrior) should be viable.

No randomization during character creation, like rolling for stats or HP. No alignment system.

No Vancian magic, no daily powers. Characters should be able to fight as much before resting as the players and DM want them to, instead of artificial limitations of "if you fight too much, the wizard runs out of spells and becomes useless" and "there have to be several unimportant encounters before the boss, or else everyone tramples him with spamming daily powers".
    So, you want something like M&M, but balanced without GM intervention?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #19

No character building beyond rolling attributes, deciding on a class.

Race doesn't matter unless you're a member of the race's class.

No tables or complex rules that need to be looked up during play.

Magic involves extended rituals and inscrutable effects. Players might cast a spell from a dark book of ancient lore, but it won't be easy, and its effects will be lot-relevant.

Every book that's not the Player's Handbook (singular) is a monster manual or setting guide. Every monster gets a page of text.

None of the "Challenge Rating" or "Monster Level" or "Wealth by Level" nonsense.

Planescape, Ravenloft, Al-Qadim and Dark Sun support.
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 2011-02-01 at 10:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    So, you want something like M&M, but balanced without GM intervention?
    More limited in scope. M&M is a universal system, I want DND to focus on heroic fantasy, but do it well. And I guess I'm fine with a class and level system, in this case.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I like the ToB, Totemist, Factotum stuff. Binds, manuvers, and ispiration points are cool. And Binders. Should try and use those as the base of their system. Druid should lose wildshape or spell casting.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they just drag you to their level and beat you in experience."

22. - Top - End - #22

No hopes whatsoever, I will, probably, continue playing 3.5 or PF.
    Maybe if they make a system that can make anything and if they pay me to learn it I might play it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Something similar to Signature Moves. I want my character to be special when I want him to be special with nerfing. If I make a wizard who chucks fireball the size of houses, I don't and any other wizards casting my spell.

Make every ability stat matter for every character. I don't care how they do it. Make a reason for a base fighter to have high Charisma or a base wizrd to have high Strength.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    None of the Challenge Rating or Monster Level or Wealth by Level nonsense.
    Why is it better for a DM to have to eyeball it and guess how powerful a given encounter is?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Why is it better for a DM to have to eyeball it and guess how powerful a given encounter is?
    CR creates expectations for a proper level of monster to encounter. In AD&D, when players ran into a dragon at level 2, they ran, hid, solved problems and dealt with it. In 3e when level 2 characters run into a dragon, their players whine (and are somewhat supported by the DMG in doing so).
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 2011-02-01 at 10:32 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    OK, we get it, you dislike D&D.
    ^

On topic: I would love it if they integrated more of an electronic focus. Make a social media version (e.g. facebook) - one with more control, unlike the Progress Quest-ish Tiny Adventures. The brand is strong enough - and normal facebook games are boring enough - that they could tap a large audience by putting a nice flash-based dungeon romp with full DDI integration up on the webs.

Make a couple of pre-mades to get fledgling DMs' feet wet, then give them the tools to create their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    One of the primary advantages to doing that is the DM bases encounters on the players' power level, not level. Thus, there is less of an incentive for the group as a whole to optimize because the world will adjust to them without experience rewards becoming significantly larger. This also would make it easier for the players to agree on a general optimization level, and prevent the DM from pitting them against over (dragons) or under (anything without a range attack) powered monsters.

I haven't tried this myself specifically, but when setting up encounters against a mix of foes I don't bother calculating EL, especially since it reads way too high for low level opponents anyways.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I really only wish that it's completely different than every other version of D&D so that the edition wars will be interesting to watch.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    I really only wish that it's completely different than every other version of D&D so that the edition wars will be interesting to watch.
    That's unspeakable. I like it.

As for myself... something I won't have to shell out more then a hundred bucks to get a game running and annual updates and rules fixes would be nice. I'm not a picky man.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I hope that all powers, feats, and items would only be available in randomized packs of cards. You can buy a starter pack that gives you a level-1 character, and then you can buy booster packs for your class or power source that give you common options for heroic tier, uncommons for paragon tier, and rares for epic tier. Since D&D is a team game, you can swap these with your party members so that if your wizard ends up with the Sword of Kas, he can trade it for a Meteor Swarm instead.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!