New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Elans and Procreation

So the XPH explains that Elans are psionic humans who are 'made' and not born. A repeated question at our table is: Can they reproduce? Or must they always be made? Does the process of becoming an Elan make them sterile?

While I like to adhere to the Jurassic Park philosophy of 'life finds a way', I find myself coming back to this question on occasion.

What about the rest of you? Did I miss reading a section and it explains it? Assuming I haven't failed any Spot Checks, how do you fine folks deal with this? Or has it come up at your table at all? If it hasn't come up, how would you rule it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Elans and Procreation

As a DM, I ruled that any offspring of an Elan and a Human was a Human. But the XPH doesn't cover the reproductive capabilities of the Elan, and the BoEF was published before the XPH, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    As a DM, I ruled that any offspring of an Elan and a Human was a Human. But the XPH doesn't cover the reproductive capabilities of the Elan, and the BoEF was published before the XPH, IIRC.
    Go with this. It makes sense.

WoTC tended to gloss over reproduction, presumably in an effort to avoid any more allegations as to its demonic-baby-eating-orgy tendencies.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I always assumed Elans were sterile, being somewhere between undead and constructs. If you do want them to be able to reproduce, though, I'd definitely way their offspring should be human. It shouldn't be possible to be born an Elan, in my view.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Alternatively, the offspring could be half-farspawn eldritch horrors which immediately devour you for even thinking of asking this question. (Because Elans are Aberrations and their ways are unknowable.)
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-02-02 at 07:59 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

I would think that because they are "made" by the Elan Enclave, they cannot reproduce by themselves. I guess it was implied but never outright documented.

Then again, in the DND art world, even snakes have boobs. Please don't give me this "anthropomorphized" crap. Yuan-Ti still breed like snakes, therefore do not produce breast milk and have no biological need for breasts.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show