New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default losing a (Su) quality

entropic has a usable +2 LA for the Outsider type, but the negative energy aura is mildly annoying; alter self and polymorph keep the (Su) aura but lose the (Ex) negative adaptation, so basically, I'm going to have to either lose 1 str/min or 1 hp/round while polymorphed.

is there any way to lose a (Su) special quality? other LA <= 2 templates works too. and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: losing a (Su) quality

Can the entropic turn off its aura? I think unless specifically stated a creature can activate or deactivate its own abilities.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    entropic has a usable +2 LA for the Outsider type, but the negative energy aura is mildly annoying; alter self and polymorph keep the (Su) aura but lose the (Ex) negative adaptation, so basically, I'm going to have to either lose 1 str/min or 1 hp/round while polymorphed.

is there any way to lose a (Su) special quality? other LA <= 2 templates works too. and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.
    There's a true-naming spell (not a true naming word, but a simple spell that can be casted by bards and wizards/sorcerers, though you need to use a truenaming check) that can permanently rob something of it's supernatural abilities. Typically this spell is used to do things like remove a Dragon's breath weapon, or eliminate a Beholder's eye-magic one eye at a time. So you could find a high level bard or wizard/sorcerer to cast this spell on you and forever remove that supernatural aura.
    Last edited by Czin; 2011-02-02 at 05:27 PM.
    "Abase yourself before me, you groveling insect!"-Sutekh.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ability Rip (Serpent Kingdoms) can do this, in exchange for giving you a Su Ability from someone else for a few hours.

If only it were permanent, though...

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Czin View Post
    There's a true-naming spell (not a true naming word, but a simple spell that can be casted by bards and wizards/sorcerers, though you need to use a truenaming check) that can permanently rob something of it's supernatural abilities. Typically this spell is used to do things like remove a Dragon's breath weapon, or eliminate a Beholder's eye-magic one eye at a time. So you could find a high level bard or wizard/sorcerer to cast this spell on you and forever remove that supernatural aura.
    source?

ed: tome of magic, spurn the supernatural? concentration, up to 1 rd/level.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Ability Rip (Serpent Kingdoms) can do this, in exchange for giving you a Su Ability from someone else for a few hours.

...that's a terrible spell, the wanted effect is permanent. still horribly-designed, though: a permanent, irreversible loss for a temporary gain, if I'm reading that correctly? bleh.

bit too high-level for me, though.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2011-02-02 at 05:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

source?
    The Tome of Magic.

7. - Top - End - #7

The Tome of Magic.
    if you mean spurn the supernatural (p258), that's concentration duration.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty nasty if you as a PC can get a weak, tiny little Su ability somehow. "I trade my Supernatural Ability to make flowers bloom for that dragons breath weapon."
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

if you mean spurn the supernatural (p258), that's concentration duration.
    There's a level 9 (Sorc/Wizard) variation of that spell somewhere I believe, but I can't seem to find my ToM book.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Pretty nasty if you as a PC can get a weak, tiny little Su ability somehow. "I trade my Supernatural Ability to make flowers bloom for that dragons breath weapon."
    1 hour casting time, both have to be conscious to cast it, and fort negate. also touch range.

There's a level 9 (Sorc/Wizard) variation of that spell somewhere I believe, but I can't seem to find my ToM book.
    it's neither truename binding, greater (why is that a 9? it's just worse than gate!) nor unname (SoD, basically).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

1 hour casting time, both have to be conscious to cast it, and fort negate. also touch range.
    Ah, that does put a damper on things. If you can stay at touch range of an awake dragon for an hour, you don't need its breath weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

it's neither truename binding, greater (why is that a 9? it's just worse than gate!) nor unname (SoD, basically).
    Unname is a level 9 because if you fail your save it is very, very, very difficult and time/resource expensive to bring you back.

13. - Top - End - #13

Just who even makes a spell with a one-hour casting time?

Oh, right, evil maddened snake people.
    Last edited by VeisuItaTyhjyys; 2011-02-02 at 06:08 PM.
    Former Ghosts?

14. - Top - End - #14

Unname is a level 9 because if you fail your save it is very, very, very difficult and time/resource expensive to bring you back.
    soul bind. trap the soul.

trap the soul does it better, being no save just die.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

soul bind. trap the soul.

trap the soul does it better, being no save just die.
    Trap the soul can be thwarted by simply breaking the Gem, if the players don't even have in character knowledge that their buddy was killed with unname, then the chances of that character being revived are pretty much nil.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Not easily, no. However, if this is the specific reason, look up the Ring of Negative Protection, Magic Item Compendium. Share with your friends.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17

You can still cast it. "Say, if I pay you this much, fellow entropic creature, would you lose your entropic aura for a few hours so I can permanently get rid of mine? You just have to fail a save!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Y'know, if it's the Outsider type you want, the Planetouched are only +1 LA...

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Not easily, no. However, if this is the specific reason, look up the Ring of Negative Protection, Magic Item Compendium. Share with your friends.
    the spell works fine. archivist, did I mention?

You can still cast it. "Say, if I pay you this much, fellow entropic creature, would you lose your entropic aura for a few hours so I can permanently get rid of mine? You just have to fail a save!"
    it doesn't even have to be entropic. you can get a pixie who can't find a date

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Y'know, if it's the Outsider type you want, the Planetouched are only +1 LA...
    and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2011-02-02 at 07:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

it doesn't even have to be entropic. you can get a pixie who can't find a date
    "Oh, and what a date. He just kept chanting his magic words and all the while I had this really embarassing nosebleed. I swear, if I hadn't had that Pearl of Cure Minor Wounds I swear I would have died from it. And for the rest of the day, I couldn't even go invisible to hide my shame! Of course the guy had to go and vanish after he FINALLY finished saying those strange mutterings!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

So close, and yet so far.

Spurn the Supernatural isn't permanent, but Expunge the Supernatural most certainly is.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #22

"Oh, and what a date. He just kept chanting his magic words and all the while I had this really embarassing nosebleed. I swear, if I hadn't had that Pearl of Cure Minor Wounds I swear I would have died from it. And for the rest of the day, I couldn't even go invisible to hide my shame! Of course the guy had to go and vanish after he FINALLY finished saying those strange mutterings!"
    haha yes

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    So close, and yet so far.

Spurn the Supernatural isn't permanent, but Expunge the Supernatural most certainly is.
    that works! I'll pick up a few truenaming ranks, then.