New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] Insanity effect with True Seeing

What's that spell that has a side effect of making someone go insane if you cast it on them and they have True Seeing on?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Insanity effect with True Seeing

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.
    Seems like it just penetrates through magic... If my character is hallucinating, lets say from a poison, he will still see things that are not there... However illusions, creatures and objects hidden through magical means as well as blur and displacement effects cannot hide from your steely gaze of truth!
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know of any spells that do that. Maybe you're thinking of the obyrith class of demons from FC1?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I don't know of any spells that do that. Maybe you're thinking of the obyrith class of demons from FC1?
    Obviously it's Polymorph. Polymorph into the obyrith class of Demons.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobold

A Symbol of insanity covered by an illusion?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

In one of my campaign worlds (a survival horror world, that I did back in about mid-2004) True Seeing itself had a chance to drive people insane. With it, you could see all the things that hovered on the planar borders of the Prime Material Plane. It was like looking into the Far Realm (before WotC even published the Far Realm, AFAIK). The longer you had True Seeing up, the higher chance you had of going insane. In certain areas, where the planar borders were thinner, the chances increased even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    In one of my campaign worlds (a survival horror world, that I did back in about mid-2004) True Seeing itself had a chance to drive people insane. With it, you could see all the things that hovered on the planar borders of the Prime Material Plane. It was like looking into the Far Realm (before WotC even published the Far Realm, AFAIK). The longer you had True Seeing up, the higher chance you had of going insane. In certain areas, where the planar borders were thinner, the chances increased even more.
    I recall a minor NPC from Baldur's Gate 2 in Spellhold who suffered from something like that permanently. Even when she shut her eyes.

She was, of course, quite insane.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Nitpick; The far realm was part of D&D since first edition.
    "Abase yourself before me, you groveling insect!"-Sutekh.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Czin View Post
    Nitpick; The far realm was part of D&D since first edition.
    Maybe I just never saw the material, then. I didn't know it existed until I bought the Epic Level Handbook in late '04.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

The spell you seek is called Sensory Overload and was made by Rich Burlew (the owner of this site/forum :-)). You can find it here.
    Last edited by Anarril; 2011-02-03 at 08:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, right, that's it.

12. - Top - End - #12

+1 that is Awesome!
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.