New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Druid Advice

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Druid Advice

So my group and I will be venturing underground, and only 2 in the group have darkvision. The rest of us are human and have no items or spells that grant darkvision. So my question is...are there any animals that my druid can wildshape into that has darkvision? If not, what about other forms of senses?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Druid Advice

Quote Originally Posted by alexthemad View Post
    So my group and I will be venturing underground, and only 2 in the group have darkvision. The rest of us are human and have no items or spells that grant darkvision. So my question is...are there any animals that my druid can wildshape into that has darkvision? If not, what about other forms of senses?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Well, some companions like Dire Bat have Blindsense so that'd work. If you want to have it yourself, you need Enhanced Wildshape-spell (level 4, hours/lvl) tho to get senses; if you do, well, turning into e.g. Dire Bat is the easiest. Do note that there's also a Darkvision-spell and Listening Lorecall [Spell Compendium] at levels 2 and 3 IIRC that both cover the vision deal.

Few animals have true Darkvision; if you can get means to turn into Monstrous Humanoid, Aberration or such it'd be easier tho. If you have e.g. Frozen Wildshape, the Cryohydra form has Darkvision among other things. But yeah, just vanilla Wildshape doesn't grant senses so use your spells.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

As per errata, Wild Shape functions like Alternate Form: "The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form." You don't gain any of the extraordinary senses of your wild shape forms, including darkvision, low-light vision, or even scent. Finding an animal with darkvision isn't going to help your character at all.

What level are you, and what does your group consist of? An easy solution could be casting Darkvision + Lesser Rod of Extend every day. If you're high enough level and/or have enough cash on hand, you could get everyone a Ring of the Darkhidden and a Blindfold of True Darkness to get a fairly extreme advantage in the underdark. Another option would be to keep Deeper Darkness active constantly, since it projects shadowy illumination it would actually allow you to see if the area was otherwise pitch dark. Darkvision can't even see through shadowy since that's the realm of low-light vision so your opponents with darkvision would be at a disadvantage. Yet another option would be to keep (Greater) Luminous Armor (BoED) active on yourself, it appears as a suit of shining breastplate or full plate and projects light equivalent to a Daylight spell. It's so bright that opponents take a -4 penalty to hit you, and most creatures that live down there would suffer additional penalties in a daylight effect anyway. You would still benefit from the AC bonus of that even when wild shaped, and you can also get a Monk AC bonus such as from a Monk's Belt with that spell on similar to how Mage Armor works.
    Last edited by Biffoniacus_Furiou; 2011-02-04 at 01:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    You would still benefit from the AC bonus of that even when wild shaped, and you can also get a Monk AC bonus such as from a Monk's Belt with that spell on similar to how Mage Armor works.
    Although you'd need a wilding clasp to keep functioning the belt, while wildshaped.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Although you'd need a wilding clasp to keep functioning the belt, while wildshaped.
    Wildshape, then add belt. Use Girallon's Blessing for arms. I like ape morphs and girallon's blessing for big returns to pumping strength and power attacking.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Darkvision is a 2nd level wiz/sor spell and 3rd level ranger spell. It can be made permanent with permanency. If you got either of those classes and levels you could ask for a buff when it becomes needed.

Until then a torch costs 1 cp a piece.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Until then a torch costs 1 cp a piece.
    What about an Invisible Continual Flame spell? Does it even grant light?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Listening Lorecall is a low level (think lvl 2 but I'm away from my books atm so can't check for sure) Druid spell from Spell Compendium that can help in such a situation if you have enough ranks in listen (grants Blindsense with 5 or more ranks and Blindsight with 12 or more IIRC).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Wildshape, then add belt. Use Girallon's Blessing for arms. I like ape morphs and girallon's blessing for big returns to pumping strength and power attacking.
    That's surely an option...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Reflexes View Post
    What about an Invisible Continual Flame spell? Does it even grant light?
    yes, you just dont see the source of the light

@op: you could use the embrace the wild spell too, when not using spell compendium it can give blind sight 120ft for 10min/lvl, its rather nice