New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A Tim Burton RPG?

I love Tim Burton SSSOOOOOOO much, and I was wondering if there was a tabletop RPG emulating his works. It wouldn't have to be a direct adaptation, but something inspired by him would be really cool.
    Is there such a game?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: A Tim Burton RPG?

Oh man I hope not.

Wait I hope there is and it's comparable with dnd 3.5 so I can kill johnny depp, one role at a time. Also I would cast deafness on my character so I couldn't hear them sing. I'd even turn down experience, since it obviously has it's own rewards :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    Oh man I hope not.

Wait I hope there is and it's comparable with dnd 3.5 so I can kill johnny depp, one role at a time. Also I would cast deafness on my character so I couldn't hear them sing. I'd even turn down experience, since it obviously has it's own rewards :)
    I honestly don't see what you have against Johnny Depp. He isn't the best actor, but he very well fits Burton's style.

I would like a Tim Burton RPG because I would love to explore the dark fantasy worlds of his quirky imagination.
    That would be SO cool.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Perhaps World of Darkness but with a whole lot of neon paint cans thrown on it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    Perhaps World of Darkness but with a whole lot of neon paint cans thrown on it.
    I tried it, but I strongly dislike the system.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Primetime Adventures would model this perfectly. It even has a mechanic for recharging character traits via dramatic monologue/heartfelt discourse/meaningful flashback in a set piece of significance to each character.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you want an entire system, or a setting? Or some special rules appended to a system?

'Cause from what I remember of Tim Burton all you'd need to do is mix the 4e Shadowfell and Feywild together.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Call of Cthulhu is about losing your sanity. Does that count? Just give it some talking doll type things with bad hair and pins sticking out of them, and you should be fine. Maybe have the players shrink to doll size too?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the World of Darkness ambience could work, but the system is ill-suited to Tim Burton. WoD is about snappy action, most of all. Everything about the game mechanics is geared to that.

Burton...that's about layering and developing a dark theme, and adding in creative details. Are you familiar with the FATE system? It's very, very different from other RPGs, and it's the engine behind the prominent Dresden Files RPG. FATE is focused around building atmosphere and character through "Aspects", chunks of narrativeness in a character or world.

It's a game where creating and upholding theme is integral to gameplay.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    Oh man I hope not.

Bwahahaha!

Actually Tim Burton fluff is totally compatible with dnd 3.5, since dnd 3.5 is basically "Disney on math" you can just paint the protagonist with dark colors to make it "dark and appealing to angsty teenagers".
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Have you considered no system at all? Its not like there is much combat in his stuff.

Alternatively Wushu is very light rules. Highly recommended for a game that hopefully is all off the flavor of his works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Bwahahaha!

Actually Tim Burton fluff is totally compatible with dnd 3.5, since dnd 3.5 is basically "Disney on math" you can just paint the protagonist with dark colors to make it "dark and appealing to angsty teenagers".
    Then you have more Kingdom Hearts and less Burton...and god how horrible that would be..
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'd suggest Deadlands. It's a "weird west" setting. While it's not specifically Burton-related, there are a lot of things in it that give off the Burton vibe.