New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 4E - If you could have one level 1 magic item for free, what would it be?

As the title says...

New campaign starting soon and we are allowed to pick one level 1 magic item for free...

Is there anything that stands out at level 1 as an awesome item?

I am playing a Deva Shaman.
    I lose more minions to that Starting Tavern than from any other. I mean come on! Give a guy a chance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: 4E - If you could have one level 1 magic item for free, what would it be?

+1 Adamantite Full plate.

Tell you GM to be more specific on the price of the item.

As a rule of thumb, allways remember that magic weapons cost twice as much as magic armors
    Who watches the Watchmen?

Frontline Fighter? I barely know her!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 4E - If you could have one level 1 magic item for free, what would it be?

I think you missed the "4th Edition" tagline in the OP's post.

Hmm - level 1 magic item for a shaman. Are you a healer shaman or a buffer shaman?
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Dunno for a shaman, but as a tiefling fighter I'd kill to get a flaming weapon at level 1. Well, as a tiefling anything, actually.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Dunno for a shaman, but as a tiefling fighter I'd kill to get a flaming weapon at level 1. Well, as a tiefling anything, actually.
    Even a Tiefling Pacifist Cleric?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Even a Tiefling Pacifist Cleric?
    Basic attacks, basic attacks. Everyone has their basic attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    No. Level-1 items are pretty underwhelming as a whole (that's why they're the lowest level, after all). Your best bet is to grab a +1 magic totem.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I think you missed the "4th Edition" tagline in the OP's post.

Hmm - level 1 magic item for a shaman. Are you a healer shaman or a buffer shaman?
    Oops, missed that.

Get a +1 acurate implement for shaman (Totems are they called?) if there is such a thing.

To hit is VERY importante on 4e, even for leaders
    Last edited by n00b killa; 2011-02-04 at 08:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n00b killa View Post
    Get a +1 acurate implement for shaman (Totems are they called?) if there is such a thing.
    They exist, but the "accurate" part only makes a difference if you're willing to spend a feat on it, and at this level there are several more important feats that should have a higher priority.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    They exist, but the "accurate" part only makes a difference if you're willing to spend a feat on it, and at this level there are several more important feats that should have a higher priority.
    But you don't have any penalty for using the superior implement if you are non-proficient, right? you just don't get the benefits.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n00b killa View Post
    But you don't have any penalty for using the superior implement if you are non-proficient, right? you just don't get the benefits.
    That is correct.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

You'll outgrow almost any lv 1 item pretty quickly. If you want something that can have some longevity, grab a +1 Distance (thrown weapon of choice) for some low level range options if you're a melee guy, or grab a pair of cannith goggles which gives a +2 to perception.
    Last edited by nightwyrm; 2011-02-04 at 12:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    As the title says...

New campaign starting soon and we are allowed to pick one level 1 magic item for free...

I am playing a Deva Shaman.
    +1 magic implement is probably your best choice for immediate utility (+1 to attack and damage, +1d6 to crits). As someone else pointed out you may as well make it a superior "accurate" item just for kicks.

This item will be useless by level 5, as you should have gotten or made a better one by then. But I don't consider that a major problem.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2011-02-04 at 01:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are a few items that might be worth having:
    - floating shield
    - canith goggles
    - restful bedroll
    - blessed book

The bedroll is likely to be the most useful since temp hp are always good and you can use it every day. The rest are things you're not likely to use as often.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I second an implement. Hungry Spirits was always a fun one for my Shaman. He was Wis/Con though, and as a Deva you'll clearly be rocking the Panther Build.

You're a leader, therefore you do virtually nothing in combat besides healing if you miss. This is true for basically everyone but certain defenders.

Keep that implement bonus high, and grab some armor when you get a chance. You're low level, so you're going to see people attacking your AC a lot more than your Fort, Reflex, and Will for a long time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll throw in my advise for a +1 weapon/implement as well.

Alternatively, now would be a good time to pick up an item which you will use for the life of your character. Something that, while only level 1, is of great importance even at level 30. It is amazing in its utility and extreme in its awesomeness. There are very few situations which it cannot handle.

That's right, I'm talking about Eternal Chalk.

Woundstitch Powder is also pretty good (to give to an ally with specific instructions to only use it if you go unconscious), as is the Restful Bedroll.

Since you are a Shaman, Cannith Goggles are pretty good and will remain useful far longer than a +1 armor/neck/weapliment.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The above mentiones (floating shield etc) are nice.

Depending on the difficulty your DM throws at you Woundstitch powder might not be bad.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'd go for the Restful Bedroll personally.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

i would definately agree on the Restful Bedroll or +1 Totem as they can be used more than once. I would take the Bedroll over the totem as you'll change the totem before you stop using the bedroll.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<