New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Words of power playtest for Pathfinder

I finally got finished with reading it and playing with the spells to see what I can do. I like it a lot. However I'm curious what you guys think about it.

Seems like it will help the poor magus class that doesn't have any touch spells for his channeling strike ability *whatever it is called.* Anything obviously stupid about it that I missed?
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2011-02-05 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Words of power playtest for Pathfinder

hate it, it's nothing more than a more complicated version of Vancian casting; the thing people asking for alternative spell structure were wanting to get away from. If the playtest is any indication; Ultimate Magic will do nothing but offer ways to make your character more complicated for no benefit.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I haven't tried it out myself but after giig it a read through, It is a bit complicated. I don't fully understand how it works. Then again, I had trouble understanding ToB originally so maybe a second read through of the words of power will help me understand the system better.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'd like to take a look; do you have a link to the playtest?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'd like to take a look; do you have a link to the playtest?
    It can be downloaded for free here

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    hate it, it's nothing more than a more complicated version of Vancian casting; the thing people asking for alternative spell structure were wanting to get away from. If the playtest is any indication; Ultimate Magic will do nothing but offer ways to make your character more complicated for no benefit.
    Well other than Vancian casting and power pool of psychics there really isn't too many different ways to do spells.

I like the customization possible with this, although I would almost exclusively use it for a sorcerer type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It seems more complicated to me for little benefit.

Tome of battle was more complicated than most melee stuff in general but since melee was so simple that was alright (it did not make melee harder than spells).

Spells already were the more complicated option so making them more complicated would be a bad idea in my opinion. New systems should probably strive to be faster and easier than the old vancian casting system.

EDIT: Paizo has the talent to make new magic systems but I do think they do not want to stray too far away from what has been done before. PF is based on love for 3.5, if they deviate too far from what was accepted as 3.5 then people may not be happy with it anymore and turn away.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-02-06 at 05:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    I finally got finished with reading it and playing with the spells to see what I can do. I like it a lot. However I'm curious what you guys think about it.

Seems like it will help the poor magus class that doesn't have any touch spells for his channeling strike ability *whatever it is called.* Anything obviously stupid about it that I missed?
    Agreed, for Magus, it does help him. But it is too much work for others I think.